• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm an earthquake in a can!" - Bowser video thread

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha man this is awesome

i wish we had pm tournys around here so i that i could get in on this!

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
WOW-WE-WOO-WOW! That last match you had with cf was baller. That triple throw. Stupendous! I thoroughly enjoyed your use of bairs as well.

Maybe moar arials and red armor. I feel like nair and dsmash could have saved some boozer butt against cf.
I also noticed the the lack of flames. I mean, I understand why, but its still a nice option to have.
Personally, I don't like getting too comfortable approaching with up b. The minor hitboxes have their moments but, if I don't land that initial hit and theyre not caught in the spin, then I feel like I'm in trouble. Hit that first box or run.

Otherwise that's a tight ship, son.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Most of Bowser's attacks are terribly unsafe vs CF, since all he has to do is DD out of your range and wait for your slow stuff. Grabs are perhaps the easiest to get on Bowser, which is why i was crouching and using Dtilt to space on the neutral.

You definitively need to give Up B's weaker hitboxes some credit. It's true that they're weak and they don't really send far away, but hitting with them practically ensures that you will be able to reach the ledge safely. You can see that sometimes i poke with it then go back to the ledge; it essentially ensures i don't get hit or grabbed while they're still in shield-stun.

I definitively should have used flames more, specially with the slightly improved range. CF can jump over them and easily punish, but it easily punishes grab attempts.

Thanks for the tips!

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
I should have been clearer with what I meant with up b. For the most part, I'd be doing the same as yourself. The tiny gripe I meant to pinpoint was your tendency to poke then retreat the opposite way to where you started the move, which wasn't the ledge. Why i found that method to be iffy is because you hit cf with the minor hit box about half the time while staying on the floor in front of the opponent, allowing the animation to slow you down. It gives cf a window you didn't want open. I dig every part of the move, but i only try to utilize the minor hit boxes when retreating or recovering.

Nahm sayin'?

I hear ya on neutral game. CC/dtilt is, like, second nature. Though I still feel a lil more red armor could have done ya good. Nair could have stuffed some of dem aerials AND its l-cancelable. Neat! But hey. Free country. I'd still vote for ya!

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Ah, fair enough on the Up B. It can be an unsafe move if not used properly and specially vs faster characters like CF.

I love getting Down Bs in general, whether via read or by punishing something predictable. The KB on the move is absolutely misses and kills very early on certain stages.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
You use Ftilt a lot, even when its not safe. It's worth noting that it comes out rather slowly, and that dtilt is a generally safer spacing move because you aren't in so much lag afterwards. Although it was used properly at times, so i give you that.

Then there's the recovering. There were a lot of chances in where you could have used Down B to snap to the ledge, but you instead just let yourself fall until you got there, or Up-B'd into a platform. Down B ledgegrab is super safe unless your opponent is in a position in where they can easily snap to the ledge, so you should use it very often.

And the L cancels were very inconsistent, i noticed, so it would be worth working on that a bit.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
This is me in GFs of a tourney as Bowser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3S5ZujUlCc

Is it possible for a bit of critique too?
Overall your Bowser is solid, but I agree with everything Chaos_Blasta said. Here's some other things you could improve on:
-I noticed when you knock your opponent up with up-b and utilt you try to follow up with aerials by double jumping. Don't forget that you can jump cancel your down-b, it makes it a lot easier to land your follow ups a lot of times you'll be able to follow up while they're still in hitstun, anyone who doesn't know the MU will be caught off guard by the ridiculous speed of Bowser's ascent, at the very least your opponent will have much less time to react because it's much faster than double jumping.
-While Bowser has a great get-up attack below 100%, that is not always the correct option from the ledge especially above 100%, experiment with other ledge options because you got punished for using your get-up attack above 100% quite a few times.
-Try not to shield grab so much, it's not a horrible option, but depending on how much you're getting pressured a lot of times side-b or up-b OOS are better options.
-While this may seem to contradict what I just said don't be afraid to utilize your grabs more, Bowser has a pretty solid grab game, fthrow or bthrow are good for getting your opponent out of your space, and throwing them offstage puts most characters in a terrible position, and dthrow can lead to multiple punish opportunities if they fail to tech correctly.
-Don't throw out random Bowser Bombs when you're at high percents, it will more often than not result in you getting punished. (Good job recognizing that you can Boswer Bomb through PK Thunder though, I lol'd at that)
-I know it's a pretty pitiful projectile, but don't be afraid to utilize Bowser's fire breath if timed well it can be good for stuffing approaches, and it's also not too bad of an edgeguarding tool.
-Bowser has a pretty pathetic wavedash, but his dash dance is solid, it wouldn't hurt to incorporate dash dancing into your game to keep your opponent off balance.
-Also this may take some practice to know when you'll be able to recover from it, but definitely learn how to go offstage and stage spike your opponent with side-b, if they fail to tech they will die, and you will be able to safely jump back onstage and laugh in their puny faces as they will never be as awesome as Bowser!

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
-Bowser has a pretty pathetic wavedash

I don't agree. The range itself is decent, and the technique is very useful for spacing or landing fsmashes on predicted approaches.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
-Bowser has a pretty pathetic wavedash

I don't agree. The range itself is decent, and the technique is very useful for spacing or landing fsmashes on predicted approaches.
Yeah you're right, I take that back now that I've spent some more time learning how to incorporate it into my game.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
My turn! These are two wifi matches i had earlier this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH7FESdacK4 Vs MK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Kp3kqDmLg Vs Zelda

I have had better matches since, so i'll upload those later this week.
Game one: Overall you played really solid and got some excellent reads, my only criticisms are you stayed on platforms way too long for no reason, that generally isn't a good idea against MK, also you killed yourself with that ledgedrop side-b you should use fair because you'll still be able to recover after it, and you seemed to be missing quite a few L-cancels, but that could've just been because of wifi.

Game two: Man that was pretty much flawless except for the random SD and missed L-cancels, I wish I was that good at fighting Zelda.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Cool! I think i'm on platforms a lot because I like to keep moving. That and I figured, if the opponent isnt on the platform with me and dont have an air grab, then all they can do is attack. That is easily dealt with a shield, where I can use my OoS options when the opportunity is right. I will work on being more careful on platforms though.

Totally agree with side b at the ledge. Side B can grab the ledge, so I was trying to flesh out how useful it could be. Turns out it's a bad and inferior idea overall. Will not do again.

I mean, wifi lag will definitely throw off my cancels, but i'm still not efficient with them so part of it was me too.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Cool! I think i'm on platforms a lot because I like to keep moving. That and I figured, if the opponent isnt on the platform with me and dont have an air grab, then all they can do is attack. That is easily dealt with a shield, where I can use my OoS options when the opportunity is right. I will work on being more careful on platforms though.
Well all MK has to do is get under the platform an utilt/uair til he gets a shield poke, in that situation the only OoS option that's really viable is a shield drop nair. Of course he might try to jump up and fair or nair in which case you could probably shield grab, but a smart MK would probably go for the safer option.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
OS (Bowser) vs:

HankyPanky (Peach)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMHz375Geec

Chu Dat (Pikachu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsJLGmCXfzY

Zinoto (Mario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrV5cBLOSU

I don't play much, but there you go
You did really well in your set against HankyPanky. However, I noticed a lot of things you could've been doing better against Chu, there were a lot of times where he was just sitting in shield and you ran up hit his shield and ate a nair OoS, if you know your opponent is just going to sit in shield, grab them. Also you were using a lot really risky options against him and he started baiting them and punishing you really hard for them. When you see that your opponent is DD camping don't just throw out an fsmash if you have to attack do something safe like jab or dtilt, and he also baited those fsmashes by air-dodging past you every time he recovered netting him another free punish. Same thing against Zinoto, just be careful about getting baited into using risky options.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd never played a Pikachu before and just got out of Brawl and Halo matches, so I wasn't playing too hot. You can see my control difference was supreme. Chu's always been a good player and I enjoy playing him though; would love to play him again later.

Also I will ALWAYS go for F-smash. Always.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I'd never played a Pikachu before and just got out of Brawl and Halo matches, so I wasn't playing too hot. You can see my control difference was supreme. Chu's always been a good player and I enjoy playing him though; would love to play him again later.

Also I will ALWAYS go for F-smash. Always.
I'm not saying don't go for f-smash, I'm saying only go for it if you're 100% sure you're not going to get punished for it. Also the fact that you were unfamiliar with the MU is even more of a reason to play safe rather than risky.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm not saying don't go for f-smash, I'm saying only go for it if you're 100% sure you're not going to get punished for it. Also the fact that you were unfamiliar with the MU is even more of a reason to play safe rather than risky.

Always. F-smash.

I don't think I stuttered.

I don't think there's a single person I played that I didn't f-smash. That's mostly why I play Bowser. To f-smash people. Everything else, including winning, is secondary.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Added Overswarm's matches.

Abeebo, do you want me to add your matches? If so, do you have the names of the opponents?

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Added Overswarm's matches.

Abeebo, do you want me to add your matches? If so, do you have the names of the opponents?
I do. Blue Falcon and Tank. Blue Falcon may have a 7 in the name, but I'm not positive.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
some new videos posted on my channel from our recent live streamed smashfest

check out scarflame - bowser player in wa that isn't me! he's been bowsering while i've been absent.
take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMIx3Y_LIXg&list=PLwkVzVDC0Vy-MrTvw5xUcsYtmATc2PfNt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wifxqb9Zye4&list=PLwkVzVDC0Vy-MrTvw5xUcsYtmATc2PfNt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZgAhgQ0vBw&list=PLwkVzVDC0Vy-MrTvw5xUcsYtmATc2PfNt
the last one is vs silent wolf and he has a LOT of practice vs me and is also just incredibly good so... =[

and here's a couple of matches of my rusty ol' koopa - one of them is even a ditto vs scarflame and even has a bonus giga ditto...
keep in mind i hate giga and have no intention of ever using him other than by request, which is what happened here LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7HgT2BGFk&list=PLwkVzVDC0Vy-MrTvw5xUcsYtmATc2PfNt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvZoza5Jtwo&list=PLwkVzVDC0Vy-MrTvw5xUcsYtmATc2PfNt

If you want to support Washington smash and/or 62-bit Gaming - or you want to see more Bowser in general -please follow, like, and subscribe to the following links!

www.youtube.com/gimpyfish62
www.facebook.com/62bitgaming
www.twitter.com/62bitgaming
www.62bitgaming.tumblr.com

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2LPEAyT68

heres a set against a falco from a local tournament yesterday. from rewatching it myself i can definitely see some bad habits and mistakes i was making, but if anyone else has some advice/critique/etc it would be much appreciated

edit: it was uploaded to youtube so i guess thats more convenient to watch

Last edited:

Ace55

Smash Lord
Someone might have to remake this thread. I doubt I'll still be updating the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2LPEAyT68

heres a set against a falco from a local tournament yesterday. from rewatching it myself i can definitely see some bad habits and mistakes i was making, but if anyone else has some advice/critique/etc it would be much appreciated

edit: it was uploaded to youtube so i guess thats more convenient to watch
Only watched two matches but all I saw was a Falco being destroyed. I didn't see you use crouch/crawl much though. I love using that against Falco to ignore lasers. Take that away and Falco is actually kind of a slow character (at least horizontally) whose approaches are pretty easy to beat.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB6GGZygy0E

I could finally get out some more matches to watch, thanks to Hope4NewDay. Just friendlies, but I think some of these give very good insight on the Bowser vs Fox matchup and how you have to handle it in general. (30 minutes long lol)

Critics and opinions welcomed ofc

Last edited:

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKnSfNr9lMU

Me vs. my friend Rexx's Falcon.
Maybe help me not be bad?
I've only seen a few matches so far but I love your Bowser! It's very aggro and your punish game is fantastic. The biggest flaw i'm noticing and something that you definitively should pick on is getting used to playing on the ledge, which was something i noticed you were shy of doing at all. Not only Bowser is safest on the ledge but his ledge options are absolutely fantastic. Try picking up Fortress Hog's timings in 3.0 and how to abuse Bowser's ledge options and you'll be amazing.

You also don't use Dair, which is an amazing move to hit vs some characters (Falcon one of them) because it eats a lot of shield and sometimes they don't have a good option OoS to counter it if you land behind them. And if you do hit with Dair, it's a very easy setup into a grab, which in turn can lead to a Fair if you Upthrow.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Yeah, I was terrible at Fortress Hogging in Melee, so I'm bad in 3.0. I've been practicing it a little, and I'll practice it more.
I actually started incorporating dair into my gameplay a little while ago, I was so used to it being ass in every other iteration of this character that I could never think of when to use it.
Thank you for the advice!

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
You should see some other bowser vids here to get a good idea of how useful Bowser's options of the ledge can be, particularly for edgeguarding it makes killing the spacies and Falcon/Ganon an incredibly simple task instead of having to read what they do and punish on that.

Top Bottom