• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a Brawl player that plays melee for the funs, what should I practice first to improve the most?

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I know, I know... most of you guys hate Brawl. Anyway, I tend to play melee for the funs! Sometimes for hours with my Brawl friends. Anyway, I was wondering, what should one practice the most to get good? A pretty generic question, and I apologize if it is a stupid one, but still.

L-Cancel?
Tech?
Spacing?

Or does it depend on the character?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
But at the end of the day, fundamentals still matter the most, and having tech skill only lets you better execute those fundamentals.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Depends on char but I'd say practice shffl aerials if you're using a fastfaller. Practice what your character can do out of grabs.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
But at the end of the day, fundamentals still matter the most, and having tech skill only lets you better execute those fundamentals.
I'd argue that the tech skill I outline is actually part of the fundamentals of melee. I'd also argue that a good brawl player should be quite good at fundamentals such as spacing and decision making as there is less tech in that game to be concerned with, so the fundamentals is what sets them apart more.

atangerine

Smash Cadet
I'd argue that the tech skill I outline is actually part of the fundamentals of melee. I'd also argue that a good brawl player should be quite good at fundamentals such as spacing and decision making as there is less tech in that game to be concerned with, so the fundamentals is what sets them apart more.
Why did you use such a small font

SAUS

Smash Ace
Why did you use such a small font
So it could fit on one line perfectly on my screen.

I think the big thing about tech skill is that most of it is to allow you to move faster or in ways that you can't normally, and without them, you are playing a nerfed version of your character. Spacing is good and all, but switching over to melee, he's probably got all that. Getting used to the speed and some of the most basic/essential techniques are probably the best bet for getting decent at melee coming from brawl.

I'd focus on everything that is necessary for shuffling. Short hop + fast fall + l-cancel are probably the most important things to know how to do. Don't forget to try out/master the running jump (I don't think it exists in brawl at all) where you dash and then jump - it basically lets you jump with a huge forward speed. The shield would probably also require some testing since it is a lot worse in melee than in brawl, and many things cannot be done out of shield like in brawl where you can basically let go of R/L and do whatever you want instantly.

Engo

Smash Ace
If it's just for fun then learn to dash dance and jc grab. Easy stuff and will help with your spacing, movement, punishment without being hard to apply and will definitely help you beat you friends. No point spending hours learning the advanced techniques and struggling to find out how to use them if you're just playing for fun.

Top Bottom