• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's worst enemy: Lag?!

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Ok, I know this may seem like johning, but honestly, how do you play Ike in Lag? I've been losing with Ike so many times due to lag that I'm almost on the verge of switching to another character. It's driving me crazy. The opponents that I face in Wi-fi- I just absolutely know that I can beat them without any lag. But unfortunately, no lag is a bit more than what I could get. So my only solution to my dilemma is figuring out how to play Ike in lag. Suggestions?

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Use nair more often, and keep in mind that the lag johns go both ways once you predict and land that Fsmash :D

Prediction, prediction, prediction. But you should be trained well in it, you're playing Ike!

ADHD

Smash Hero
Ike is pretty good in lag and he can punish mistakes that happen alot more often in input lag

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Ike relies on punishment, and lag makes that difficult, as the window is greatly reduced. Since all of his attacks have slow startup, your opponent often has time to react to your attacks anyways, whereas you don't if your opponent is a fast character.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
It really depends on the type of lag. If its slowdown lag, Ike is at a disadvantage, since his opponent can react faster to Ike's moves. If its button delay, Ike is either neutral or at an advantage, since good prediction can cause some WTF KO's from Ike :D

Tenki

Smash Hero
It really depends on the type of lag. If its slowdown lag, Ike is at a disadvantage, since his opponent can react faster to Ike's moves. If its button delay, Ike is either neutral or at an advantage, since good prediction can cause some WTF KO's from Ike :D
Just keep this in mind.

As long as YOU can adjust YOUR moves to lag, if you approach, you have control over the game. People on the defense (whether it's waiting for you to attack, or having to block projectiles, or space defensive aerials) are the ones who have trouble because their reactions are gimped against you. Sure, once in a while, they'll be smart and predict that if you run at them, you'll dash attack, so they'll spotdodge or something.

But that's exactly why the approachers have advantages. If you can correctly predict their reaction to you, you can control the timing and the spacing.
That said, approach while predicting your opponents, and land hits/gain momentum in the game that way. Punish on prediction, not reaction, and it'll help you play better online and, to an extent, it'll give you some better practice for predicting offline, too.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
When it comes to Wi-Fi, stop relying on reaction time, it won't work. You have to think instead.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Also, I noticed something: a lot of Ike videos I see, the Ike player usually F-airs when their opponent has their shield up and it always connects. Why does this happen? When I use F-air when my opponent has his shield up, I always get punished severely for it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That's because the defender usually drops their shield at the last second, therefore it usually connects.

I suppose with your case however they're holding their shield up until it is severely deplited or something.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You're either having a hard time adjusting to lag (which is understandable) or playing spammy opponents (which just sucks; Wolf is such an annoying character when in the "wrong" hands). Wi-Fi requires a lot more prediction, since the window for punishing attacks is decreased while the time it takes for your opponent's attack to end with a shield does not.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
You're either having a hard time adjusting to lag (which is understandable) or playing spammy opponents (which just sucks; Wolf is such an annoying character when in the "wrong" hands). Wi-Fi requires a lot more prediction, since the window for punishing attacks is decreased while the time it takes for your opponent's attack to end with a shield does not.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Offline, punishing is so easy, but online it's like everything has slowed by 5x. Wolf, Peach, MK, and ZSS are my toughest opponents online, but I'm sure if over half the people who uses these characters played me offline, I'd have a better record against them than online.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥I remember making a topic just like this a while ago...but with Ness! ^__^

♥Many characters get harder to play with significant lag, but how difficult it is for each character varies. ;)

§leepy God

Smash Master
And here I thought Ike's best friend is lag when it comes to people running to his F-Smash. But like somebody side already, lag messes up anyone.... maybe not chracters with good projectiles and good Smash attacks like Wolf, Lucario, etc.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ike's the best character in lag, likely followed by Wolf. I have no idea why the creator of this thread made this topic.

And Salty, MK is more affected by lag than Ike. Ike on the other hand, has certain parts of his gameplay greatly buffed in large lag because people fall randomly into insanely strong moves. Moderate lag helps him out compared to the rest of the cast too.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Ike's the best character in lag, likely followed by Wolf. I have no idea why the creator of this thread made this topic.

And Salty, MK is more affected by lag than Ike. Ike on the other hand, has certain parts of his gameplay greatly buffed in large lag because people fall randomly into insanely strong moves. Moderate lag helps him out compared to the rest of the cast too.
On the contrary, Ike is not the best character in heavy lag at all, since if you cannot shield, you cannot escape heavy projectile spam (i.e. Pit, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, etc).Ike is a punisher, he suffers when approaching. In addition, for Ike to hit people, he first has to get close to them, something that lag does not exactly allow well for. Also, if anybody, but ANYBODY is approaching an Ike when he's charging a move, they basically deserve to get hit. His recovery also gets gimped heavily by lag.

On the other hand, you have MK, whose offensive game actually IMPROVES in lag, seeing as how nobody can react fast enough to shield/spotdodge and then punish his incredibly lagless moves. As well, since all of MK's moves chain together, it proves very easy for him to just mash on the A button if he isn't quite sure of the timing, and lag prevents punishment of this. His recovery is too good to be gimped by lag, as all you basically need to do is get to about stage level and use his incredibly broken ^B to go around everything in your path.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
On the contrary, Ike is not the best character in heavy lag at all, since if you cannot shield, you cannot escape heavy projectile spam (i.e. Pit, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, etc).Ike is a punisher, he suffers when approaching. In addition, for Ike to hit people, he first has to get close to them, something that lag does not exactly allow well for. Also, if anybody, but ANYBODY is approaching an Ike when he's charging a move, they basically deserve to get hit. His recovery also gets gimped heavily by lag.

On the other hand, you have MK, whose offensive game actually IMPROVES in lag, seeing as how nobody can react fast enough to shield/spotdodge and then punish his incredibly lagless moves. As well, since all of MK's moves chain together, it proves very easy for him to just mash on the A button if he isn't quite sure of the timing, and lag prevents punishment of this. His recovery is too good to be gimped by lag, as all you basically need to do is get to about stage level and use his incredibly broken ^B to go around everything in your path.
I created this thread for the exact reasons that SaltyKracka has just stated. Ike cannot punish characters in time in lag, especially Metaknight who can just spam Smashes. It's also really difficult to jab combo in lag and lead to several combos that Ike uses to his advantage.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Mm, is that you Hazdoc?
Who eez diz sexy beast you speek uv. I no not this very good looking man. I suggest u lewk elsewhere, yes?

ON TOPIC:
Yeah, Ike REAAALLY fails in slowdown lag. I had the game stop for a half second while I was mindgaming a utilt to sliding usmash... I got kneed. It was BAAAD.

Top Bottom