• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Poor Recovery

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
What is the best way to deal with people jumping off the stage after Ike?

I have encountered being shot with ROB's laser while charging my Forward B and falling to my death, Wario (regular or in his final smash) coming in the way on my Forward B and I fall to my death, and other horrible deaths I can't remember right now.....

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
If you can, DI to below the stage so you can get on with Aether; arguably the safest route. If you're EXTREMELY confident go for the Quick Draw. But other than that, there's really little you can do with someone trying to gimp Ike; I guess an fair helps somewhat but Ike's too easy to gimp :/

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
theres nothin you can do except try to hit them with up-b i guess

Krath

Smash Cadet
If I know I'm going to die, I usually try to Aethercide. Makes me lol when I get someone with it.

You can't really do much other than that.

sandaman

Smash Cadet
well when u see em coming down to get u just up+b, hopefully u will hit em and get back up, but it is pretty hard

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty much what I do when I get shot with ROB's laser. Just try to make it underneath the ledge and Up B. But some people are just @**holes and will jump into the way of the Forward B, taking the hit and laugh while I plummet to my death. I even try to quickly suicide them but they get knocked back so far.
I have only successfully suicided someone with the Aether one time. Most of the time, they just air dodge out and make it back on stage while I look stupid for even trying something so risky.

By the way, DI means Directional Influence, right?

Vro

Smash Lord
But some people are just @**holes and will jump into the way of the Forward B, taking the hit and laugh while I plummet to my death.
Little known fact, you can jump in front of Ike's QuickDraw and air dodge, stopping his movement without taking any damage.

Just another Ike gimp. =(

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Air dodging Ike's quickdraw is the safest way to gimp him. The only time you should use Quickdraw to recover is when you're sure this won't happen, or if you're sure that really nothing will get in the way. Getting hit by a laser while Quickdrawing isn't that big a deal, just use Aether or maybe another Quickdraw afterwards. And usually, the safest time to use Quickdraw is when you're knocked off a stage at a high angle, that way you can usually dash far over the edge in a harder to predict manner, depending on when you decide to release the charge. In the end though, using Aether to get to the edge is pretty hard to beat, especially on some stages like FD, you can time Aether to actually throw the sword onto the stage, just behind the edge, and land just over the edge. You can choose to drop from the ledge is an opponent is waiting to attack and catch them off guard this way too. One more thing, if an opponent gets in your face and you're ready to take a death, don't forget that even an uncharged Eruption can completely waste a high % attacker, and with the huge hitbox and the super armor, not to mention the spike, this can catch a lot of opponents off guard if they get too cocky trying to edge guard. Kamikazee is a nasty tactic to use in a stock match when you're already one stock ahead. Just ask Bowser.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
You shouldn't be recovering with Quickdraw most of the time anyway... You wanna go for getting yourself in a good position for Aether. You should also know your limits in terms of airdodging. You should know when is the last possible moment you can airdodge and STILL be able to make it back to the stage. Knowing this will help you with Metaknights, DDD's and other characters that tend to go off the stage for the kill.

I guess that's why I don't find Ike's recovery THAT BAD. If you know how to use Aether + airdodging really well you shouldn't have much of a problem. On the other hand if you're one of those players that like to waste their second jump you're gonna have a lot of trouble recovering with Ike.

Also you shouldn't hesitate to throw out Fairs when you're DI'ing towards the stage every once in a while. Some players have the nerve to try to chase you very early....if you fair them before they get to you it should do enough knockback to get you free and clear for the ledge. The same goes with the airdodging though..you have to know your limits and know whether or not Ike can make it back after the Fair.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
One stage I can't really use my Up B to get back on stage and that is Ice Climber's Summit. I hate it and don't know how we play it as much as we do. The level has no edges so sometimes, I can't just simply Aether. I am limited to use the Forward B to get back on stage.

Thinking about it, there has been times when I found myself under the lip on Final Destination, too. No way to Aether back onstage. To prevent that from happening ever again, I just Forward B.

I really don't think Ike's recovery is bad unless someone tries to mess with you offstage or you are on the Summit. I was hoping someone would have found some weird glitch like Forward B, jump, and Up B (I don't know if that is possible just throwing that out because I also forget to try it).

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
When recovering as Ike you have 3 options.

First, if knocked at a high angle, use Quick Draw and expect to dash into a safe position, don't use it for the ledge more often than not, but to get to the center of the stage.

In many other cases, you want to get below the edge and Aether. We all know that everyone likes to gimp out Ike's recovery, so this is where your mindgames and skill need to show the best. There are times when you want to Aether as soon as possible, so that you can begin the SAF of the attack and not get gimped. If you have a few moments to hold (which you often do since Aether as so much vertical distance) wait before using Aether, and if the foe jumps down too soon you can throw the sword into him. Also, if you make Ike use Aether in the opposite direction (which would mean you would catch the edge with your back) you can on occasion hit the opponent in cases where you would normally not.
Finally, in a lot of situations you can afford to air dodge and maybe even Nair one good time and then Aether to the ledge, which you need to be ready to do on a hasty opponent.

The last option is suicide, if the opponent is at a high % and tries to jump down to ensure your death, hit him with an uncharged eruption. Eruption kills a lot of crap at the right %, even without a hint of a charge. If you can save your second jump, then use it with an air dodge and follow it with a Dair to punish the opponent, then try to recover. Just remember, if you hit an opponent at a weird angle when he hits you at the same time, you can move at an unexpected angle, often killing the opponent but not being knocked back so far you can't recover.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
ive messed around with ikes foward b as a recovery but i think his up b is the better recovery, i just knock my opponent away with an arieal if they try to gimp me, cause if you are gonna die and someone jumps after you, just aether and you might aethercide them or scare them away at least xD

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah sorry about that I mean Fair, Fair has a lot less aerial lag than Nair. Nair is only good for having little landing lag and covering a lot of area around Ike for approaching.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Little known fact, you can jump in front of Ike's QuickDraw and air dodge, stopping his movement without taking any damage.

Just another Ike gimp. =(
Nobody likes that "airdodge" method. It lacks the lulz.

Anyways, I usually just save my second jump, similar to a tether recovery character, only double-jumping when I KNOW I can land safely, then go for Aether.

Also, Counter offstage, while possibly suicide, is **** fun. Especially with people who have reliable KO aerials or like to go overkill. For example, a friend of mine playing G&W saved up a Bucket in a multibrawl until the last stock, and for kicks decided to try to edgeguard me off-stage with it...

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Don't take his advice, he mains Meta Knight, Snake, and "Inke".

No skill involved =D.

Top Bottom