• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Catch Phrases

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I know they aren't good... but are they really that bad?

"I fight for my friends."
My only real problem with this is that it sounds a little phony. It hasn't really annoyed me yet, even if it did get old (definitely not a HY-YAYAYAYAYA, or however it sounds).
* Though I wish I could make him say "I fight for my friends.... I also do crack and heroin *Big stupid smile*." Just like the youtube video :laugh:.

"You'll get no sympathy from me."
I actually like this one. Only issue is that it should have been said at the START of the match.

"Prepare Yourself." (I know its a taunt and not a victory pose, but its still worth mentioning.)
It fits its role as a taunt and the voice acting is solid enough for it to be intimidating (or atleast not annoying).

Whats really so bad about Ike's phrases?

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
They're not bad.

I fight for my friend is the only lame one.

And really, if he sounded bad *** while saying it, it'd be tolerable.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
one of my taunts is i fight for my homies i always wonder what people think when they 1st see it since people think his phrase is annoying i figured it would make them laugh thats when i stab them

btw can you link that video sounds funny and i haven't seen it

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
one of my taunts is i fight for my homies i always wonder what people think when they 1st see it since people think his phrase is annoying i figured it would make them laugh thats when i stab them

btw can you link that video sounds funny and i haven't seen it
Just type in Ike fights for his friends on youtube. Its really short but its pretty funny. Might also want to watch Roy calls Ike on the Phone (again just enter that).

Edit: NVM I'll link em.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBob8j8DRe4
Ike fights for his friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OioF76bD_14
Roy calls Ike on the phone.

Shirum

Smash Cadet
"I fight for my friends" sounds like he just woke up and is snuggling a pillow in some sort of romantic fantasy.

Add that to the Japanese original's awesome delivery and... it's rather cringeworthy.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I love taunting just as the match ends. So the music stops playing, everything goes into slow motion, the announcer shouts "GAME!" and then just before it goes to the victory screen, in almost total silence, Ike suddenly blurts out "Prepare yourself..."

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
I know they aren't good... but are they really that bad?

"I fight for my friends."
My only real problem with this is that it sounds a little phony. It hasn't really annoyed me yet, even if it did get old (definitely not a HY-YAYAYAYAYA, or however it sounds).
* Though I wish I could make him say "I fight for my friends.... I also do crack and heroin *Big stupid smile*." Just like the youtube video :laugh:.
Anyone that doesn't get the "I fight for my friends" line obviously doesn't know anything about the Fire Emblem series from where Ike originated.,, where the whole game is based on team-work.

"You'll get no sympathy from me."
I actually like this one. Only issue is that it should have been said at the START of the match.
I beg to differ, the only thing that feels better than winning a match with an aether spike at like 10% damage, is dong so and then hearing Ike telling your opponent to quit crying at the end of the match

"Prepare Yourself." (I know its a taunt and not a victory pose, but its still worth mentioning.)
It fits its role as a taunt and the voice acting is solid enough for it to be intimidating (or atleast not annoying).
Like you siad, it's a taunt, not an ending so...Why did you put this in here?

Whats really so bad about Ike's phrases?
I wasn't aware that Ike's phrases were even an issue...but by all means, make a completly ramdom thread about it.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I wasn't aware that Ike's phrases were even an issue...but by all means, make a completly ramdom thread about it.
yah it kind of is theres been threads made about his i fight for my friends but i guess it is from people who didnt play his games cause that is pretty much how he is. in the 2nd game he goes against the biggest empire for his cat :chuckle:

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
yah it kind of is theres been threads made about his i fight for my friends but i guess it is from people who didnt play his games cause that is pretty much how he is. in the 2nd game he goes against the biggest empire for his cat :chuckle:
Ok, a "phrase" is an ISSUE?! I couldn't even get an Ike Appreciation thread up when the dojo first confirmed him. This is back when the whole "IKE FOR BRAWL" movement was happening, but you probly don't know what that's about seeing as how you just joined up. Anyway the phrase is obviously a reference to FE:poR, but as you put it there have been MULTIBLE threads made about a PHRASE? Wow, looks like the moderators are starting to go soft.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ok, a "phrase" is an ISSUE?! I couldn't even get an Ike Appreciation thread up when the dojo first confirmed him. This is back when the whole "IKE FOR BRAWL" movement was happening, but you probly don't know what that's about seeing as how you just joined up. Anyway the phrase is obviously a reference to FE:poR, but as you put it there have been MULTIBLE threads made about a PHRASE? Wow, looks like the moderators are starting to go soft.
i dont get what your trying to tell me i like his sayings and i know where they come from ive probably beaten FE9 over 10 times FE10 only 3 so far because i think macaih is stupid ike wouldnt take any bull from his ruler or fight for his country if they where on the wrong side.

Shirum

Smash Cadet
Chill out, ike_love. :p

The original Japanese phrase for "I fight for my friends" was something along the lines of, "For those I protect, I will not lose."

If you'd remember his conversations with Mist (FE9: Chapter 8 pre-battle, Chapter 27 pre-battle), the gist of his dedication was that he would both protect his sister, his mercenary group, and his employer (though especially his sister) and NOT die, Mist's and Soren's greatest fear, for their sake. So in comparison to that line, "I fight for my friends" is incredibly vague.

The way it's being discussed here, it's not an issue or a detriment to his character. It's just funny.

Loosen up. You'll get no sympathy from me.

Hive

Smash Lord
frankisright I totally agree! ♥ I really thought he sounded like anakin skywalker too! especially "prepare yourself"

Top Bottom