• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike vs. Fox/Falco/(Wolf?)

gallantknight

Smash Rookie
Alright, so I got this game a couple days ago after playing Melee for four or five months, using Marth as a main. Now, I managed to get pretty good at using Marth, being able to hold my own at the basic level against most of my friends. I had more trouble when I was doing 1vs1, but I could usually pull through.

However, I had extreme trouble fighting one main character -- Fox McCloud. For the life of me, I could not defeat Fox with Marth no matter how hard I tried!

Now, fast-forward to Brawl. I learned how to use Ike, and I find that he handles really well for me -- For the most part, fairly slow, but extremely powerful.

It's probably a bad match-up for Ike, considering Fox's massive speed advantage, but I'd like some tips for fighting Fox. I suppose this also extends to Falco and Wolf, seeing as they play kind of similarly, right? But more importantly, I'd like to learn how to beat his Fox.

Basically, the main problem I have is that I cannot keep up with him. I'll try to attack, and he'll roll out of the way, or I'll get locked into a combo, miss a grab, or screw up a down+b. I've tried rolling with him, but his lasers end up racking damage and I can never quite close the distance quick enough.

Now, I don't understand some of the terminology/advanced moves (probably none of them) because I'm usually a fairly casual player. However, anything that can help will be appreciated.

Thank you for reading this lengthy post and I hope you can help me T_T.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
All I can say is Good luck! Fox is a hard matchup for Ike and so is Wolf. Especially Falco. Shield Lasers, if they continue, jump over them to Fox/Falco/Wolf. As for the speed; use your Bair alot, it is one of the quickest moves you have and a decent killer on such a light set of furries.

•Col•

Smash Champion
All I can say is Good luck! Fox is a hard matchup for Ike and so is Wolf. Especially Falco. Shield Lasers, if they continue, jump over them to Fox/Falco/Wolf. As for the speed; use your Bair alot, it is one of the quickest moves you have and a decent killer on such a light set of furries.
Eh? Fox isn't a hard matchup for Ike... xD It's about even, probably slightly in Fox's favor. Even though he's fast, he's on of the lightest in the game, and Ike is one of the strongest, so that means even EARLIER kills... :D

Wolf and Falco are MUCH harder than Fox. Ike can have a hard time against Wolf's projectile. Falco's spamming is bad, probably not as bad as Wolf's, but he also has a chaingrab... D:

Also, we already covered Falco, and I believe we also did Wolf in the matchup guide. I recommend reading their entries... =P

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Eh? Fox is neutral (45-55), Wolf is only a slight disadvantage (4-6). Falco on the other hand is probably Ike's toughest match. (2.5-7.5)

Of course, if someone tests the Ledge Air Release Fairs on them, those numbers could change a tad. I'll explain more later, supper.

Roager

Smash Ace
For all the space animals, abuse your range. Especially against Fox. His lazers can't interrupt you, so you can still get hits in. Falco's by far the hardest, be sure to use your fast moves, like jab, bair, and utilt (not fast, but faster than most ike moves)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We do have to get to Fox, but otherwise we covered all the spacies in the matchup guide...that's stickied...

Edit: I guess I should actually tell him, since he says he's a more casual player and probably reading a sticky is out of the question...Basically: Fox/Falco/Wolf are three entirely different characters in Brawl, and with Fox being the easiest of the three for Ike.

Further Edit: Holy crap now I just feel stupid, this has been bumped...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I suppose there were no Ikes at the time willing to help him...poor guy...

GamerdudeAT

Smash Apprentice
I understand you're frustration. Even with the computers being Fox it still takes a little more time to kill them. The good thing about Ike is that he has a bunch of moves that attack both sides of him like the A up move or the A down move. You can use these to your advantage if Fox rolls behind you. It's kind of funny though because I main both Ike AND Fox.

Top Bottom