• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Social Thread

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Ike's neutral is just like Ganon's. It's hard to explain.
All is clear now. I understand. The dark green headband has been lifted from my eyes to my blue hair and I am now one with Ike. HHHHRRRRUUUUGHHH!
Haha I'm just joking no offense meant. But could someone take stab at explaining it?

I've had the Ganon vids suggested and I've watched some. Ganon seems to have a lot better platform/landing movement with that fat waveland (which lags his hurt box behind his actual frame, if I understand it correctly?), his ftilt seems quicker with about the same cooldown but maybe a little less power, seems like a good spacing tool. His waveland jab/grab approaches seem beast, better than Ike's. Maybe Im watching too much Bizzaro Flame vids with my waveland talk haha.

Kage just seems to be constantly spacing attacks, eventually they hit or he's punished. He jumps a lot, and either lands empty if an aerial won't reach or throws it out if it will. Ganon, like Ike, seems to like his opponent above him so he can shark with uair.

Translating that to Ike minus so much waveland shenanigans I feel like that's what I already do, space attacks, punish if the other person goofs, and toss is some QuickDraw mix ups, which is guess is like ganons booster kick thing.

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
Grounded QD from the ledge is Ike's best option by a lot. If they're right next to the ledge, QD through them and take stage position. If they're a bit farther away they're forced to make a hard read on whether Ike will wavedash back, grab, or continue forward. If they guess incorrectly, Ike can gain stage position or get a conversion, and even if they guess correctly, Ike still lands on the stage, meaning he gets back his DJ and WJ. If the opponent is far away, just get on the stage and return to neutral.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Beat Swag 3-2
Guess he isn't really a fraud, lol

25th, best for my state, my b.

Last edited:

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
In related news, the twitch chat on Emu vs Ally was so stupid. I was losing brain cells from seeing the chat go crazy when Ally did two non hilt dairs and the chat went like "OMG DAT SPIKE ALLY CLUTCH PRESS 1"

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
Also @ Chef2 Chef2 , almost all my wavelands with Ike are perfect wavelands. It makes Ike really smooth and my neutral is extremely waveland based. (By perfect waveland I mean a fuly horizontal waveland).

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Also @ Chef2 Chef2 , almost all my wavelands with Ike are perfect wavelands. It makes Ike really smooth and my neutral is extremely waveland based. (By perfect waveland I mean a fuly horizontal waveland).
Hmm maybe I underestimated the waveland game. I noticed the waveland was smoother (and maybe further?) in 3.5. I like the idea I think I'll try a short hopin wave landing grabbing jabbing tilting neutral! Thanks @ A arcnormal !

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
No problem. My neutral is mainly double jump->waveland jab, or double jump->spaced nair->jab. Basically a lot of controlling my own space and punishing them if they intrude it with jabs or grabs.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
I like that game plan, gonna practice it up and try it at the weekly Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes!

GmJn

Smash Ace
M2k was johning hard about losing to Ally's Ike, 4.0 may kill us ;(

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hope y'all are as hyped as I am about Ike after @AllyKnight's fantastic performance at Shots Fired this weekend. Gonna be putting in a lot of lab work, so any Tourney Locator regulars, look forward to seeing some more of our sympathy-lacking hero.

GmJn

Smash Ace
Hope y'all are as hyped as I am about Ike after @AllyKnight's fantastic performance at Shots Fired this weekend. Gonna be putting in a lot of lab work, so any Tourney Locator regulars, look forward to seeing some more of our sympathy-lacking hero.
Yeah Ally's performance was amazing. I wish I were half as good as him.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
YO I want to point something out super-quick.

First, congrats to @AllyKnight , officially a top 5 PM player, who's come a freaking long way from having a 'spacie problem' and losing to Weon-X regularly in Canada. Mad props. Watch his sets v/s M2K and Emukiller, as well as any other Shots Fired Ally footage you can find. Devour that ****, it's close to optimal Ike play and we should all learn from it.

That said, I want to point out one important thing: Ally's tendency to get fancy or redundant in the spacie matchup. If you check Ally's second game v/s M2K's Falco, you'll notice that M2K's second stock should have been over far sooner than it was actually taken: Ally got Falco below the ledge and close to it, but opted for Dair's narrow hitbox instead of the guaranteed walk-off fair kill, which would have 100% secured the stock - M2K had nowhere to go. There's also a certain amount of shying away from the edge during Firefox/Firebird animations instead of aggresively chasing them down with QD -> Fairs when there was enough time for them; try to look for those opportunities in the match where the stock could have been gone with a simple decision, learn to recognize those patterns and make those decisions in real time. Ike is a great character this patch but is still not being played to his fullest; we can still keep moving up. I'm so happy that 90% Uthrow -> Fsmash on Falco is a thing :D

Also GODDAMN Marth beats us harder than Falco. Wow. Ow.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Burst mobilityt is very effective to get the most out of Ike's aerials and great range. It lets him attack from a much larger range of motion than people would think possible.

Thanks for the input guys. When people play overly safe and don't allow Ike to punish, it can be difficult. But L-cancelled Nairs are pretty difficult to punish. Ike's jab and grab are great, but you need to be on top of them for that.

Last edited:

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
@ Commander Commander You clearly haven't watched Kage or Bizzarro play neutral with Ganondorf if you think double jump ->waveland is stupid. It's Bizzarro's go to option in neutral and Kage uses double jump -> spaced fair all the time. The whole point is using the double jump is to control your spacing with your aerial so you don't get punished for it.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I think Ike differs a lot from Ganandorf because of his ability to fly through the air with momentum with QD and jumps, etc. But I do see the similarities between him, Falcon, and Ike. Still think Shulk plays more similarly if the game mechanics of Smash 4 were more sound. Mainly in abusing Nair and Jab.

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
@ Starfall11 Starfall11 , yeah, I agree Ike differs significantly from Ganondorf, but I think their neutral games are pretty similar. No projectile, disjointed and generally slow/laggy aerials, a fast jab, and generally slow movement speed. Ike's crazy momentum is helpful in chasing after opponents, but not so helpful in neutral since if you actually commit to a dash->jump your opponent is gonna know exactly where you're gonna land since Ike's aerial drift isn't very good and he carries so much momentum.

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
@ WhinoTheRhino WhinoTheRhino The way I play neutral is really weird. I definitely don't think I've ever seen any Ike do the stuff I do in neutral. I'd love to record it, if I either had Dolphin or if my local ever streamed, but neither of those things happen :(
I could do a recording of me doing waveland tricks on Battlefield with my phone, but I'm sure that's not too helpful.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Threads about a character's weaknesses aren't necessarily bad topics, but the user who made the topic made the same thread in about 8 character boards. Duplicate threads like that often have low levels of maintenance, and the OP rarely uses that character or participates in the discussion. The poll also asked a question more relevant to the general tier list discussion thread.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
When your competition is Sethlon and Lunchables it's really tough x_x

NWRL

Smash Ace
Who's going to be at Aftershock? I wanna get some dittos against out of state players.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
I wanna know who's gonna go to Splish Smash I was taking a bath Smash n Splash this summer. Ike mains pool party, yo.

Last edited:

420IkeGodxx

Smash Rookie
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. Once I start goin to tournaments and video footage of my sweet delicious unparalleled skill start going viral you're all gonna worship me. Stay fresh my friends.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. Once I start goin to tournaments and video footage of my sweet delicious unparalleled skill start going viral you're all gonna worship me. Stay fresh my friends.
Yo, you should money match SwagApocalypse.

#I K E B O Y Z

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
Why didn't anyone tell me Ike was overpowered :(

I didn't even know he was! Now I have to feel guilty when/if I win with him :(

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Literally the strongest character in the game. They should give him MK's sword as a nerf.

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Yeah, there are some matchups where you can just spam down-taunt until you win the game. This character is way too strong. Please nerf his down-taunt!

Commander

Smash Ace
I once charged an attack for 20 seconds and killed a training cpu at zero. Ike too strong.

Top Bottom