• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Matchup Thread UPDATED June,30,2008 10:09Am Eastern Time

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Ike’s moves also have higher priorities than Luigi’s moves except his neutralB. Blocking his fire balls is the best strategy you have against his projectile game and your approach game.
So if block his fireballs it will work against his projectile game and my approach game? That part ha left me confused, the rest is good, but put some links to my posts for those who seek in depht information. Sorry for the four posts in a row. Can someone please tag this threat so a moderator may notice our need for a sticky?

comboking

Smash Master
So if block his fireballs it will work against his projectile game and my approach game? That part ha left me confused, the rest is good, but put some links to my posts for those who seek in depht information. Sorry for the four posts in a row. Can someone please tag this threat so a moderator may notice our need for a sticky?
I will edit that and add some stuff to that paragraph.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Maybe Mr. G&W
And link if you can
you don't have to do both but you can if you want too.
Well I have some info on Link.

-Ike has better range but Link's attack has better speed.

-Link's bombs, arrows and boomerang might be able to stop QD when recover. (Need to look into)

-Link's recovery is crap so it's easy to edgeguard it or d-air him.

-Don't even bother countering his projectiles, its useles.

- Link's a fast faller so horizontal KOs are best.

I'll get more info later. Also just a note, I compiled this info from playing against my friends who suck when playing competitively.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm just waiting for you to try to give advise on how to fight a good Sheik.

From my point of view the match is pretty much doomed for Ike to lose unless the Sheik users messes up big time.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'm just waiting for you to try to give advise on how to fight a good Sheik.

From my point of view the match is pretty much doomed for Ike to lose unless the Sheik users messes up big time.
Well the info I got is:

-Sheik recovery is better than Ike's and she's good at gimping it.

-Countering needles is okay but it seems to help her approach you.

-Remember to use spacing or else you might get f-tilted over and over again. (did this against a friend, he got pissed)

-Try to edgeguard when she uses the chain to recover. I think it might make her go into the immobile state and fall to her death.

-Since she's faster, you QD to move around faster altough don'r use it all the time.

I say just try to use your power and range to beat Sheik and remeber spacing.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Sheik recovery isn't a good one

Sheik’s tether recovery can be gimped by simply edge hogging and her UpB doesn’t travel as far as Zelda’s, limiting her options on where to spawn and making her destination more predictable to her opponents. After using her UpB Sheik is vulnerable until she touches the ground. I have not fought any human Sheik, but using Ike’s edge hogging attacks seems to be the most efficient strategy.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Sheik’s tether recovery can be gimped by simply edge hogging and her UpB doesn’t travel as far as Zelda’s, limiting her options on where to spawn and making her destination more predictable to her opponents. After using her UpB Sheik is vulnerable until she touches the ground. I have not fought any human Sheik, but using Ike’s edge hogging attacks seems to be the most efficient strategy.
Well as I said before, I got this info from my friends who suck. At least you and me are contributing to this thread.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
ComboKong, can you include the best counterpick stages for each character in this thread, I know you have a link to that art of counterpick thread, but we need a more detailed list that centers on Ike.

comboking

Smash Master
I will add that stuff when I have the rest of the character on the first post.
I will also add the difficulty for each matchups.

XACE-K

Smash Master
ComboKong, can you include the best counterpick stages for each character in this thread, I know you have a link to that art of counterpick thread, but we need a more detailed list that centers on Ike.
Well is Skyworld allowed because that is one of Ike's worst stages.

Well said XACE-K, the Ike boards sure is in need of more contributors.
Yeah but I think it will be kind of unlikely of this happening.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well the info I got is:

-Sheik recovery is better than Ike's and she's good at gimping it.

-Countering needles is okay but it seems to help her approach you.

-Remember to use spacing or else you might get f-tilted over and over again. (did this against a friend, he got pissed)

-Try to edgeguard when she uses the chain to recover. I think it might make her go into the immobile state and fall to her death.

-Since she's faster, you QD to move around faster altough don'r use it all the time.

I say just try to use your power and range to beat Sheik and remeber spacing.
^_^ I enjoyed how you are giving me Ike advise while my signature, avatar, and main icon are all Sheik.

Anyways, yes Sheik recovery as far as distance covered is much better then Ikes and she can gimp Ike fairly easily when Ike isn't in range to use his ^B. However once Ike get's close to the stage Sheik loses most of gimping ability's and is force to attack near the end of the move instead of try to hit Ike before activation. Not saying she can't do it it's just very risky.

Although countering needles does work in Brawl it will be simpler to just shield them unless Ike is alright airborne then maybe at fairly far distances this will be a good option. I really don't know though, out of all the Ike's I've played none of them ever tried to counter Sheik needles.

Ike game is too repetitive to effectively space for long. Fair and the last part of Ike AAA combo can be side stepped thus removing most of his good spacing game. Ike may have other moves that do a good job for spacing but those two are the one's I notice the most with Sheik.

You sir are wrong. If you do hit sheik out of her chain recovery odds are she will die if Ike is the one who hit her so I can see why you might think that. Keep in mind that Sheik don't gets her jump back unless she pull herself to the edge so not only have you just sent one of the ligher cast members far away from the stage but with no jump, not to mention Sheik is the 2nd fastest faller in the game so that doesn't help her recovery much as well.

Using the QD is a bad idea against Sheik as she will punish you with needles if try to use it on the ground the same could be said about using it in the air. The only time it's safe to use the QD is to cut the distance between you and Sheik if Sheik is currently off stage, has preform and miss with a laggy move such as the usmash or vanish(Sheik finishers), or if it can be combo into. It should not be used to approach.

This match up doesn't look very good for Ike...Which is why I'm waiting to see how the Ike forum is going to counter a defensive Sheik. I shouldn't be able to kick such a cool character *** with so minimal effort.

XACE-K

Smash Master
You sir are wrong. If you do hit sheik out of her chain recovery odds are she will die if Ike is the one who hit her so I can see why you might think that. Keep in mind that Sheik don't gets her jump back unless she pull herself to the edge so not only have you just sent one of the ligher cast members far away from the stage but with no jump, not to mention Sheik is the 2nd fastest faller in the game so that doesn't help her recovery much as well.
I'm pretty sure I said edgeguard...
Anyway as long as most of the info is good, than I'm good.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I doubt so

Counterpicking stages with Ike resumes on always choosing Battlefield. Platforms favor Ike by providing different positioning options and more ground levels to effectively approach campers. The stage is small as well, forcing players into close quarters combat.

^_^ I enjoyed how you are giving me Ike advise while my signature, avatar, and main icon are all Sheik.
That’s why we are here

Anyways, yes Sheik recovery as far as distance covered is much better then Ike’s and she can gimp Ike fairly easily when Ike isn't in range to use his ^B. However once Ike get's close to the stage Sheik loses most of gimping ability's and is force to attack near the end of the move instead of try to hit Ike before activation. Not saying she can't do it it's just very risky.
CPUs don’t edge guard so I can’t argue with you views.

Although countering needles does work in Brawl it will be simpler to just shield them unless Ike is alright airborne then maybe at fairly far distances this will be a good option. I really don't know though, out of all the Ike's I've played none of them ever tried to counter Sheik needles.
I must agree with you.

Ike game is too repetitive to effectively space for long. Fair and the last part of Ike AAA combo can be side stepped thus removing most of his good spacing game. Ike may have other moves that do a good job for spacing but those two are the one's I notice the most with Sheik.
Using the QD is a bad idea against Sheik as she will punish you with needles if try to use it on the ground the same could be said about using it in the air. The only time it's safe to use the QD is to cut the distance between you and Sheik if Sheik is currently off stage, has perform and miss with a laggy move such as the usmash or vanish(Sheik finishers), or if it can be combo into. It should not be used to approach.
This match up doesn't look very good for Ike...Which is why I'm waiting to see how the Ike forum is going to counter a defensive Sheik. I shouldn't be able to kick such a cool character *** with so minimal effort.
Ike is my main and he sure is not repetitive. Ike has attack with great range and huge hitboxes, so there is always more than one move that can be applied in any given situation. Ike must make use of mind games and stay unpredictable in order to gain maximum efficiency of his qualities. As for QD, I use it as an attack move against projectile spammers. I don’t use it very much though, as it would make my attack predictable. I wouldn’t say this matchup is so terrible to Ike, I would say it is even. Sheik got terribly nerfed, is relatively much lighter than Ike, is a fast faller and her recover is comparable to Ike’s in terms of reliability. But then again, I haven’t fought any human Sheiks!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Please give the original thread that you copy+pasted from; it's considered plagiarism to do otherwise.

You cannot spike Diddy out of his up+B because it auto-sweetspots; are you talking about his side+B?

Your description of the Fox match-up is very confusing and incorrect; half of the time it's from Ike's perspective, and the other half it's from Fox's perspective. Charging Eruption at the edge is not worth it; Firefox autosweetspots and if they are on the edge, they can interrupt you with an edgehopped DAir because of it's speed (SAF on Eruption is not THAT good). Your note on Countering his up+B is stupid because they can auto-sweetspot; no smart Fox user would go for you with such a punishable move if they can go for the edge instead. Your statistical information on FTilt is also incorrect; it is not THAT powerful, and it kills a grounded Fox with no DI from the center of FD at 86%.

Top Bottom