• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Discussion Thread

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Saw this on the Marth board and thought it was a good idea, especially with the info we've been getting from the JP release.

To start things off, impressions from LeeHarris, a competitive Smash player who has been playing JP Brawl.

Ike- Although he is slow, he is not as slow as most people have been making him out to be. When he lands a hit on someone it makes the most pleasant noise known to man. Because of his invincibility frames he is able to land strong tilts, aerials, and smashes fairly commonly. His back-air is very fast compared to the rest of his moves and his side-b is fairly fast as well. I noticed a lot of people say his recovery is purely vertical. I found it to be at least as horizontal as Mario’s in Melee. It will also pull him slightly from out underneath the stage if he is stuck during his recovery.

So it sounds like Ike's Super Armor does indeed allow him to land those big hits of his.

gemini-saga

Smash Rookie
Saw this on the Marth board and thought it was a good idea, especially with the info we've been getting from the JP release.

To start things off, impressions from LeeNorris, a competitive Smash player who has been playing JP Brawl.

Ike- Although he is slow, he is not as slow as most people have been making him out to be. When he lands a hit on someone it makes the most pleasant noise known to man. Because of his invincibility frames he is able to land strong tilts, aerials, and smashes fairly commonly. His back-air is very fast compared to the rest of his moves and his side-b is fairly fast as well. I noticed a lot of people say his recovery is purely vertical. I found it to be at least as horizontal as Mario’s in Melee. It will also pull him slightly from out underneath the stage if he is stuck during his recovery.

So it sounds like Ike's Super Armor does indeed allow him to land those big hits of his.
Yep I saw in that video on Ike's Classic mode, Sheik was atacking Ike and he counter with junst the basic combo.

methinkso

Smash Apprentice
When he lands a hit on someone it makes the most pleasant noise known to man.

I one hundred percent agree with this statement. Even though I don't even have the game yet, he feels so freaking powerful when watching videos of him. That reason, plus the general badassery he showed from PoR and RD are the reasons I'm gonna make this beast one of my mains.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
I love that satisfying bang it makes when he lands a hit. I also love the new gun cocking noise it makes when you charge a smash attack.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
this is excellent information right here. now we know that ike will have a good chance of being usable in competitive play.

Bwahahaha, this thread will never compare to the Appreciation thread...but anyway, things sound good. This'll be fun! ^_^
well, this thread has a more professional title to it.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
LeeHarris uploaded a new Ike vs. Lucario vid to replace the one that cut off...Ike manhandled him pretty bad. :D

Thus far it would appear that:

- Ike's throws are good. He was able to nab Lucario and set him up for stronger attacks pretty well.

- Quick Draw is an awesome recovery if you're high up. It covers massive horizontal distance with very little charge time.

- There's Super Armor on some of Ike's Smashes/Tilts. Probably at the beginning of the attacks, like Aether.

- LeeHarris says that Ike's Neutral B (Eruption) is a great KO move.

- Ike's counter has Marth length but is a lot stronger according to him.

- Ike's back aerial is REALLY good. MUCH faster than his other moves and hits very hard, was able to KO Lucario twice with it.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
I noticed in your first post, Alpha, that you said Ike's side B was "fairly fast." I'm just saying, it's very fast. I've seen a couple of vids where its given him the winning edge on sudden death matches. Definitely a useful move, as it can take people by surprise so easily, considering that Ike is pretty slow, and that the move has little charge time (although I noticed a lot of ending lag on it).
Also, I'm just wondering, can Ike's neutral B be used kind of as ground pound? Like, as you come down, can you hold B and then hit someone on the way down? or does it not allow you to charge your B in the air, say, like Samus's. Also, does it stop horizontal movement in the air? Say I ran at someone and jumped, kind of like a SHFFL technique. If I was to tap B in the middle of the jump, would he slow down in the air, or keep going? When I ask this, I'm trying to figure out if you could set up the kind of thing that Captain Falcon does, when he sprints forward, then starts Falcon Punch in the air, and ends it upon landing.
Thanks.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I noticed in your first post, Alpha, that you said Ike's side B was "fairly fast." I'm just saying, it's very fast. I've seen a couple of vids where its given him the winning edge on sudden death matches. Definitely a useful move, as it can take people by surprise so easily, considering that Ike is pretty slow, and that the move has little charge time (although I noticed a lot of ending lag on it).
Well, I didn't say it actually. The person doing the impressions said it's "fairly fast", I actually agree with you in that it's really fast. He pegs Lucario with it quite a few times in the videos LeeHarris (the guy who did the impressions) has up on wifiwars.com.

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
Ikes jab combo (AAA) is 1 of his best moves in my opinion. Can KO, and does decent dmg if all hits connect. Its the only jab combo i think that can actually KO opp. An wtf is SAF. LOLOL

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
if first A stuns so the rest will hit and it keeps fast characters at bay

Super
Armour
Frames

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
yes i believe that if they get hit by the 1st they will be hit by all. No one stopped me in the middle of the combo 2day so i doubt it.

As for SAF im not sure, i played quite abit but not enuff to determine that. You can move forward when he does the up b. Also a tactic that mite wrk as an adv. tech wud be to. short hop airdodge rite after then do an aerial. Also Ike is all mind games more so than others, mind games, spacing, and not missingyour fsmashes LOL.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
that turn around backwards thing by noir will be perfect with ike and his bair

NEVER MISS AN F SMASH...lol

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm thinking Ike will be top tier actually.

- AAA has super armor, does decent damage, and can KO, so it has solid knockback. He also has solid range on his jab.

- Good grab range and his u-throw actually has less knockback. So u-throw to Aether works fine at low percents.

- Aether is very fast and strong. I'm thinking Ike could Aether out of his shield to punish sloppy aerial approaches, just like Samus in Melee. Heck he might even be able to do it when someone tries to do a standard string on his shield just cuz it' so fast and he has SAF on it so it can't be interuppted, but that has to be tested.

- Ike is slow in running speed, but Quick Draw is great for getting around that. Comes out fast, has little lag, pretty safe to use since Ike is strong and it will most likely hit your opponent out of whatever attack they try to use. I imagine it would only lose to projectiles.

- This is the main thing that will make Ike one tough sonuva*****. Retreating aerials to reset his spacing. Both fair and bair has awesome range and Bair can kill. And the lag is average on both of them. So if you want to move back a bit just SH back and do one of these. Your opponent will be hard pressed to get past Ragnell.

- Ike has alot of shield stun on his moves. So with good spacing it will be very hard to punish him.

- Ike has some good tilts. U-tilt and f-tilt look pretty good. U-tilt looks like it ahs no lag and the hitbox seems like stays out quite awhile.

The main thing about Ike is that I think everyone is gonna have trouble getting near him. And with retreating aerials and his quick draw, he now has mobility, effective spacing tools and safety all rolled into one.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Guys, don't jump the gun here. People havan't been playing this game very long. Nobody really knows how the tier system will work out.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
yeah ike definently could make high tier

but same here ill main ike no matter what

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Ike for god tier!
I agree with Roith... I don't actually care if he is the lowest tier possible, or, as Gimpyfish put, "garbage tier." Ike will be amazing, and I will put off maining any other characters until I get good with him.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I got to play with Ike myself today since somebody at my job brought in Brawl (man, I love working as a game tester), my thoughts:

- AAA combo is awesome. Great pushback and decent damage for such a fast move. Also has good priority.

- Quick Draw OWNS. You can close the distance so quick it's ridiculous. I'm sure with enough playtime I could stop it right in front of the opponent without hitting them, making it a "flash step" that opens for the "Grand Viper", an Aether, an AAA combo, a throw or other fun tricks.

- Back Air is beastly. Using that Reverse Aerial Dash technique (or whatever they decided to call it, lol) you can dash right into their face, shorthop and bam.

- Aether rocks hard. It's pretty much invincible throughout the entire technique, so it snuffs people trying a rushdown. It's also a great way to get onto a high ledge as people can't hit Ike on the way up and knock him away.

- Smashes are mostly slow (as expected) but hurt like eff. Up Smash is great, Down Smash is fast and strong, and Forward Smash pushes a shielder so far back that Ike's almost completely safe from it.

- Counter is a good move, has Marth's window of effect and does decent knockback. I was able to land it a lot after hitting one of Ike's Tilts or Smashes and having the opponent try to fly back towards me in the air for a reprisal.

- Up Tilt hits freaking hard and is fast. Forward Tilt felt to me like it was a bit faster than the Forward Smash. Down Tilt kinda sucked, but I didn't try to spike anyone at the edge with it so I'm sure it has it's uses.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
UP-B is toooo good with ike, it overpowers ariels and it's usually an easy 20 - 30 % dmg

it's really nice for when someone is edge-guarding and ur hanging onto the edge
just drop and then up-b diag-center then have ur control stick opp direction to not get stuck under the stage, if you're lucky u'll get him into the twirl and smash him down while u still grab the edge or hit the ground.

it's easy and a nice way to get back

in a sense his up b is like samus's up b where it out priorities a lot of ariels
but he can get gimped out of it.... but usually if u do, u can up - b again so u'll be fine lol

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
^ Kewlez. I'm just wondering would it be a good idea to drop a little farther than normal on that maneuver? Maybe try to time it so that Ike catches his sword just above the edge, so that right when you get to edge height he'll swing the sword, and hit the guy? It kinda gives the opponent less time to react, they won't react to it as fast as a fast drop to an immediate up B. (ya, either way that move would take the same amount of time, but there's something unexpected about jumping out of nowhere and instantly slashing down very, very fast)

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
well, u want him caught in the twirl for the extra dmg

also, his slam down on the ground has a lot more range than expected

shanus

Smash Hero
well, u want him caught in the twirl for the extra dmg

also, his slam down on the ground has a lot more range than expected
Aether is nice for when your being edgeguarded. If you want to reset invincibility frames quickly can you check if quick slash can be edge stalled?

Top Bottom