• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Custom Movesets

-RedX-

Smash Lord
QD3 having armor on both the charge and the dash is pretty sick now that I think about it when imagining recovery situations. Assuming the armor is present in the air and not being helpless after the swing is a thing for it, I could see this getting a lot of usage.

NineWholeGrains

Smash Rookie
Man, I'm super bummed about Counter2. :/ I guess a free grab is nice, but the timing just seems too nuts and I can't see any kill conversions.

I'm somewhat concerned about what happens to QD2 if Ike clanks with a projectile in the air. (If this was in a video and I missed it, please feel free to correct me.) We know Ike can act after QD1, but that's only if he swings. Since QD2 doesn't swing and Ike only clanks with the projectile instead of taking the damage, it might end up that he's left helplessly falling. I sure hope this isn't the case, because QD2 looks crazy useful.

QD3 combined with Aether2 looks to leave Ike okay in pretty much every recovery situation. Add in a little boost from Wind Eruption, and the swole swordsman appears to have some serious options to play with. With the heavy knockback from Aether2 and QD3's launch power after charging, nobody's gonna want to be near the edge.

NineWholeGrains

Smash Rookie
Man, I'm super bummed about Counter2. :/ I guess a free grab is nice, but the timing just seems too nuts and I can't see any kill conversions.

I'm somewhat concerned about what happens to QD2 if Ike clanks with a projectile in the air. (If this was in a video and I missed it, please feel free to correct me.) We know Ike can act after QD1, but that's only if he swings. Since QD2 doesn't swing and Ike only clanks with the projectile instead of taking the damage, it might end up that he's left helplessly falling. I sure hope this isn't the case, because QD2 looks crazy useful.

QD3 combined with Aether2 looks to leave Ike okay in pretty much every recovery situation. Add in a little boost from Wind Eruption, and the swole swordsman appears to have some serious options to play with. With the heavy knockback from Aether2 and QD3's launch power after charging, nobody's gonna want to be near the edge.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Counter 2 looks pretty useless in that video, not enough stun to do anything besides a grab.
Counter 3 seems to be okay against some slower smash attacks or moves which take long to come out, but I guess I prefer the normal version here.

QD 2 seems to be cool, helps him to recover, but I don´t like that is actually has more lag than normal QD, so normal QD seems to be better as a movement tool.
QD 3 I dunno what I should think about it, seems interesting, could have some uses...gonna try it out.

Eruption 2 looks cool, I like the little boost upwards in the air, could be cool for edgeguarding.
Eruption 3 well yeah doesn´t look that much slower for me than the normal Eruption, I like it.

Aether 2 finally some more horizantal recovery with Aether.
Aether 3 looks actually pretty bad, doesn´t move you forward, shockwave seems weak, the only good thing about it, is that it is faster.

Overall I like some of Ike´s custom moves, can´t wait to try them all out.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I'm really digging QD2/3 and Aether 2/3, but I'm not super drawn to the custom Eruptions or Counters. I suppose Counter 3 could be used in concert with QD3 for some nice punishment. QD3 and shielding could serve as a general way to muscle through opponents' hits, while Counter would be reserved for severely punishing lazy smash attacks. But that seems pretty situational. From what I've seen of the increased utility of counterattacks in this game, I'll probably stick with Counter 1. I never really used Eruption in Brawl, so I don't know what to think about those. I might try 3 just so I can finally hit somebody with it.

As for QD, I instinctively love QD2 for being less exploitable and providing some projectile defenses, but I'm starting to think QD3 might be more useful. For a crummy recovery like QD super armor is huge, even if its range gets decreased modestly. The fact that you get armor on the charge is amazing. Aether 2 looks great for rounding out Ike's recovery, but I've been waiting for Ike's shockwave attack to make an appearance since Ike was first announced for Brawl, so I might have to forgo the more promising attack for some showiness. Still, I'll probably toy with Aether 2.

All in all, custom moves might actually make Ike's recovery pretty good. He's no Villager, but Aether 2 and QD2/3 seem to provide pretty reasonable horizontal and vertical recovery, even if it is still a little predictable. With a lot of characters able to recover from pretty much anywhere on screen now, improved recovery will be a godsend for Ike.

Last edited:

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
I think custom moves will be heavely based on which character your against. For example, I would say that QD3 will be really powerful against Little Mac, since he needs to always stay on ground and he expect that all his moves knock you out, the super armor of QD3 will really bach out on him. For opposite, QD2 seems really good against faster character or projectiles users, like Megaman, since it looks like it can stop any projectiles. Same thing with Counter. C3 will be usefull against slow characters, since all their move will be slow, you expect this will work. C2 will work on fast character, at least it stop moving around.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Aether 2
Eruption 2
Quickdraw 2 unless something amazing is found with QD3/QD2 proves to be crap in practice
Counter 1

Ike wants better recovery and as much speed as he can squeeze out. I like the idea of Counter 2, seems like the counter window is too small and that what you can get off of it is pretty limited for the risk.

Eruption 2 I hope turns out to be decent for both recovery and edgeguarding. I would think that against slower recoveries at least Eruption 2 could be a nice, lower risk gimp option.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I've heard that apparently if Ike swings during Quick Draw, it doesn't put him in freefall? If it's true, would QD1 be better overall, then, since QD2 gets cut short by projectiles and doesn't have a sword swing at the end?

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
QD 2
Eruption 2
Counter
Great aether

QD 2 doesn't get stopped by hitting someone, so If someone tries to get in ur way while U recover, Ull just go thru them

Eruption 2 adds a boost when u do it in mid air, it could help his recovery. It could also edge guard quite a lot of characters recoveries like mario, captain falcon, pikachu, etc.

The customs for counter and aether aren't that good imo

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Aether 2 is better in most aspects than Aether 1, Aether 3 is interesting but doesn't have as many uses.

Radius-86

Smash Ace
Didn't see it mentioned here, but Counter 2/Paralyzing Counter true combos into up smash (up tilt also possible) at kill percent giving Ike another way of delivering KOs which he really needs. Fsmash is a little bit too slow to be a true combo, so I am not sure whether it works because it is hard to test whether it is still fast enough to hit before air dodge.

It's nice to have an attack independent counter (what attack you get hit with doesn't matter) that can kill. But it's still counter, which is not that great of a move.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
What custom setup would you guys use against Little Mac?

I'm thinking on running Tempest (Eruption 2) due to the wind push which can send Mac off stage.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
What custom setup would you guys use against Little Mac?

I'm thinking on running Tempest (Eruption 2) due to the wind push which can send Mac off stage.
Good for edgeguarding him, too. EZPZ.

Add in a little boost from Wind Eruption, and the swole swordsman appears to have some serious options to play with.
I've tested Tempest quite a bit and as it seems the lag after the move seems to negate any effect the wind boost has. In fact, I just tested it out and it looks like the lag after the move makes you lose height in the end. But I still think it has its uses as a "get off me"/edgeguarding tool.

Also I'm not really feeling QD3. That's the really slow one, right? I feel like it cuts his recovery options too much. It's way too slow/ doesn't have enough range to recover any, IMO.

QD2 might not be able to be acted out if if you hit something/something hits you, but I don't have the tools to test it right now. IIRC it keeps on going even if it contacts something, right?

At this point, my custom moveset is:

Aether2
Eruption2
QD2/1
Counter2 (I think that he ability to pull a grab off can be useful, because Ike's throws are pretty useful IMO.

Any thoughts?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've tested Tempest quite a bit and as it seems the lag after the move seems to negate any effect the wind boost has. In fact, I just tested it out and it looks like the lag after the move makes you lose height in the end. But I still think it has its uses as a "get off me"/edgeguarding tool.
You gain height from tempest if you use it while rising. Being able to release a full charge at the bottom of the stage and recover easily is great enough that I am okay with its lift.

Right now:

Eruption 2 or 3. Some characters are mobile enough where eruption2 isn't so great outside of a windbox mixup like G&W uair. 3 can actually get kills and it's hard to dodge.

QD2, sometimes 1: QD1 has a better recovery, but 2 goes quite far when fully charged and it covers many of his weaknesses. You can't spam it since it doesn't do too much damage, but it sets up, de-stales, and anti-camps nicely. Some stages benefit from the mobility of QD1, so it's a preference thing since you don't really *need* this move in non-projectile MUs as much.

Aether 1, 2, or 3: All have their uses. I personally prefer aether3 most of the time with 1 and 2 occasionally for some others. Aether2 may be the best if we can figure out some good setups for it offensively. Aether3 is great at anti-camp and snaps faster so you're both tougher (and easier) to gimp. Aether1 is tried and true and provides a decent reverse aether option. Aether1 is easy to spike, counter, and intercept for some characters, though.

Counter 1 or 2, 3 for characters like Ganondorf or Bowser or something: If you rarely use counter like me, best to use it for ease of use and punishment. If you only counter smash attacks, you might actually want 3 against the slower characters. If you're great at timing counter, you'll want 2 since you get the greatest reward. If you want a nice all-rounder, counter1 is best. Counter is actually quite usable in this game due to the air dodge mechanics emphasizing attacking before you land.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
One thing about QD2, if you short hop it with no charge, you get less endlag but the same general hitbox, meaning you can follow-up more reliably. QD2 > Bair is a thing until late. So is QD2 > Eruption 2 at mid-high percents when they got hit with the end of it. If hit with the beginning, QD2 > Aether2 works too.

Eruption2 also benefits greatly from being shorthopped. Upthrow > SH Eruption2 works for quite a while.

Top Bottom