• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Nice! I'm looking at a STEM career, too. Hope you'll enjoy the Smash scene in MI as well. ^-^
I hear Zinoto and Juggleguy run the UMich Smash club at the college, but they'll be gone by the time I get there I think. Looks like I'm going to have to restart my skill base when Sm4sh comes out.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I hear Zinoto and Juggleguy run the UMich Smash club at the college, but they'll be gone by the time I get there I think. Looks like I'm going to have to restart my skill base when Sm4sh comes out.
I'll also take part in events for the upcoming Smash title. Although I've never once attended a tourney outside Wi-Fi, I'm hoping to make my mark in the near future. If I ever get the chance, I'd like to visit Ann Arbor and participate in later Smash gatherings. ^-^

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
No, just tap down on the control stick when the characters feet are through the smashville platform. because of the way it works, messing up isn't punishable and you're able to buffer things out of it.

Leon taught me to do it like that, Fairly sure its how Mr.R does it too.
Simply tapping down won't do anything. Its the initial action of the control stick going from the bottom to the center that lets you platform cancel. You could be holding down the stick the whole time and still be able to cancel by letting go just as the character's feet go through the platform.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Simply tapping down won't do anything. Its the initial action of the control stick going from the bottom to the center that lets you platform cancel. You could be holding down the stick the whole time and still be able to cancel by letting go just as the character's feet go through the platform.
Yeah, I know how it works. But tapping down basically does the same thing, and it's easier to explain it that way for the most part

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Potayto potahto, as long as it works it doesn't matter how you go about doing it.

I mean, the best way is to tap down once and press shield to cancel onto the platform with a shield up. Something like that.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
Just going with whatever works with the least amount of effort

Guess its not for everyone

Later!

D

Deleted member 189823

So I finally got a Wii. My friend borrowed it. =)

I am practicing a bit, and it's going well.
Random question:

Does B-Air kill earlier than F-Air? While it is true I've always staled my F-Air due to spacing, I still feel B-Air killing quite earlier. B-Air kills so well.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Light we need to play some league together :| need to learn your plat mechanics

Also any chance we can get a new thread title?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What can you guys tell me about Ike's matchup against Mario? I faced Fratos at a local tourney and he 2-stocked me twice. I did everything I could to pressure him with spaced Fairs, but those capes killed my recovery.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
What can you guys tell me about Ike's matchup against Mario? I faced Fratos at a local tourney and he 2-stocked me twice. I did everything I could to pressure him with spaced Fairs, but those capes killed my recovery.
Why you pressuring him for? You've got far superior range to him. Just shield his fireballs and space him out. You don't want him to get inside your bubble. Stay grounded if he's throwing fireballs at you. you play it a similar way to how you should play the luigi matchup, if you know that one.

Also, if he's caping you, then you need to work on the way you recover. you want to be on stages like sv/bf where you can make your aether hit people who are a long way from the edge while you're recovering. you do that and he isn't going to be able to cape you.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I'm also going to be Captain Obvious here and say Quickdraw recovery is a bad idea. Don't use it unless you're 100% sure he can't Cape you.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Why you pressuring him for? You've got far superior range to him. Just shield his fireballs and space him out. You don't want him to get inside your bubble. Stay grounded if he's throwing fireballs at you. you play it a similar way to how you should play the luigi matchup, if you know that one.

Also, if he's caping you, then you need to work on the way you recover. you want to be on stages like sv/bf where you can make your aether hit people who are a long way from the edge while you're recovering. you do that and he isn't going to be able to cape you.
By pressure, what I meant to say was that I was zoning him as best I could with Fair to keep him away and discourage him from approaching. He pretty much kept the rush down the whole time, using feint-bairs (moving away, then towards me to hit with bair, sometimes twice).

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Nair then, Nair is also a glorious zoning tool with far less landing lag.

If he's in the air, then keep shielding, he can't do anything to you if your shield is up, really.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Also, wifi is cancerous. The lag is horrible. Please don't go play Mario mains on wifi, try to find local ones. I love wifi but only when I can actually get a good connection.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I don't have a lot of options for local tournaments. We just had a recent one at Level Up, my first SSBB tournament in three years. Most of my practice has to come online because none of my friends really play Brawl that seriously. I admit Wi-Fi is pretty bad, but it's the only place I can get any real practice.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Maybe you could try hosting a tournament. It might seem daunting at first, but I'm sure that it will bring in some people, maybe even from out of state.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I don't have a lot of options for local tournaments. We just had a recent one at Level Up, my first SSBB tournament in three years. Most of my practice has to come online because none of my friends really play Brawl that seriously. I admit Wi-Fi is pretty bad, but it's the only place I can get any real practice.
Try finding a page for georgia smash on here, or on facebook. A lot of the community has moved away from smashboards due to its unreliability over the past year or so.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I stuck this in the guide page, but I feel like it needs to go here too:

And special olimar-specific edition:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Meta-Knight is definitely a harder matchup than Olimar.

you're just struggling with it rolex, because you kept jumping at me when i was using him :B

Top Bottom