• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Ike can separate them pretty well and really dump on Nana when she's helpless.
Also, if ICs had a better grab range, it would be awful. But Ike with perfect spacing requires effort for the short IC grab range to hit.

and... grab... glitch???
The Ike grab glitch. Happens when Ike grabs Dedede on the fin of corneria, Dedede bugs out, gets frozen there aslong as ike doesnt throw them, and makes an ungodly noise. Dont do it if you want to keep your ears.

...Yes, I'm that guy who knows all the unimportant ****.

Hi Brett/GP/bored/Ussi/the other old men
Hello Ceejay

D

Deleted member 189823

So, I made a personal list on characters that can cover certain MUs for me.
Bowser & Ike cover most of the MUs. )=

D

Deleted member 189823

^lawl
Marth also used to be up there, as one of my tougher secondaries...the only real reason I've used him then (start of the year to mid year), was because I found him fun, after seeing Mikeneko at APEX (got really hyped from that).

D

Deleted member 189823

...Really? wha...I just...wha
WHEN DID THAT NOT HAPPEN?

Mikeneko basically got me to understand that to be a great player, you don't need any fancy/flashy tricks (which I'm still a fan of, but the fact that he's got me to believe that, matters). He's also rather precise, I like his slower-paced defensive Marth.

Also, 'dat D-Smash tipper.

D

Deleted member 189823

Keitaro once said in one of Zero's streams that he believes that Mr.R & Mikeneko are either even (in skill-level) and may even be a bit on Mr.R's favor, given tournament results.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
In my opinion Mr. R is the best Marth in the world. Mikeneko is the most unique Marth in the world, and Leon is the most aggressive Marth in the world.

D

Deleted member 189823

lol, yeah...but I didn't talk to Ryo about it, yet. MVD summed it up somewhat nicely, pointing out the things Snake hates the most.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
A belated Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the Ike family. I hope you all enjoyed taking advantage of corporations opening their doors early and making their employees work 6 hours earlier than usual. I also hope you enjoyed watching people fight over flash drives.

Oh, and I hope you enjoyed the turkey.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I had turkey and enjoyed my day off on Friday. Ended up hanging out with my uncle and eating some nice philly cheesesteak.

D

Deleted member 189823

In desperacy of not having a Wii, I started practicing on emulator (thanks to a Bluetooth dongle, I can hook up my Wiimote + Classic Controller). I also looked up an optimal configuration to make the game run at near-perfect speed...

And so, I began practicing Ramin Cancel. This is from today. It feels so good, can't wait to practice more, tomorrow.
Ike is in the second clip.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
In desperacy of not having a Wii, I started practicing on emulator (thanks to a Bluetooth dongle, I can hook up my Wiimote + Classic Controller). I also looked up an optimal configuration to make the game run at near-perfect speed...

And so, I began practicing Ramin Cancel. This is from today. It feels so good, can't wait to practice more, tomorrow.
Ike is in the second clip.
Nicely done.

However, it is important to remember that this is like confetti. It's really flashy and pretty, sure, and it's awesome to practice. It's very good for mindgames as well. But bear in mind that it's not a super important skill, and doing it for an extended period of time might rob you of a second jump if you get gimped.

I'm really trying not to be pessimistic. I just want you to be aware of it, and to use it maybe two or three cancels before attacking, or maybe as a victory dance.

D

Deleted member 189823

Hmm, yeah. Don't exactly expect it to be really useful...if even actually useful in the first place, if they do see it coming. Some characters may actually have some use with it (I can see Wario getting a Chomp out of this, or maybe us sneaking in a B-Air kill, even if that one's really easy to block). I think it's just best used to show off some tech skill...or like you said, as a victory dance of sorts.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll practice D-Air Platform Cancel later. That one has actual uses to it.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I use Bair, personally. It's fast enough to kill if they aren't expecting it and it seems to work the best for platform canceling, at least for me. When I do Ice Climbers, I also do the Bair platform cancel. For Marth, I use the Dair platform cancel.

Am I giving too much advice? Am I talking too much? If you've got it down pat I won't talk.

D

Deleted member 189823

People keep doing D-Air PC'ing as if it were the only option available...I also kind of thought B-Air may be better, seeing as how fast it comes out.

Talking about B-Air...is it alright to be using it as some kind of spacing move? I use to use it pretty much only for killing, but this weekend, I started spacing better, mixing in FF fully spaced F-Air along with retreating B-Air approaches and simply as a retreating motion.

Also, I still have trouble with the exact use of N-Air...it looks great, but it also looks harder to space perfectly. It's not a very good approaching move if it's not spaced well.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
1. People who talk about Dair as the only PC option are the same people who said Brawl would destroy the Melee community. Remember that. (Yes, I am being sassy. I do this a lot.)

2. Retreating Bair is godly. Using it offensively is dangerous, because in order to attack again you have to do the same attack again or turn around. Not that those are bad options, they really aren't. The main reason I myself don't use a Bair to approach is because there are better options, like run-up shield, run-up jab, Fair, Nair, SHAD, etc. Think of it as a gimmick move like gimping followed by a turn-around Fsmash.

3. The only way to get the spacing for Nair is to just use it all the time. If you didn't hit, get closer. If you get shield grabbed, move back. What I actually did (and don't do this unless you think it'll help you) is I went into training mode and simply used just about nothing but Nair for approaching. I tested exactly where on the animation Nair hit and what it looked like, and then I put the computer on and tested it. When I got too close or got shield grabbed a lot, I turned the computer off and went back to training. This sort of thing helped me.

Now I'm not knocking Fair, it's a good approach. But use it a ton and you've lost your unpredictability. Plus it's slower than Nair and has higher landing lag, even if it's a massive spacing tool. Understand that Nair is faster, has less landing lag, and is still a very save move though less safe than Fair. The point here is that Fair is the huge cushion you only use when you need, while Nair is the perfect little cushion which suits all your needs.

D

Deleted member 189823

That's a nice write-up, there. And you're right...those kind of people, may just be the kind of people who've never had faith in the Brawl metagame, thinking there's no actual technical-depth to it.

Anyway, one of those approaches you've brought up reminded me of how I used to run up and jab cancel all day. That was most of what I did. I would throw out F-Air & N-Air with no real purpose and bad spacing. /: I've grown out of that. Nice approach options.

Now that we're at it. How am I supposed to approach Falco? I can't seem to just jump and hit him with an aerial, since his lasers tend to stuff my jump.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
You need to stay grounded for the most part. This way you can perfect shield some lasers and close the gap. You can dash attack under his lasers with good timing and spacing (this is not trivial, it's very useful). At mid-range (out of his dash attack range), you can try to jump. He can't really afford to go for jumping lasers when you're so close, and if you do get hit by a laser, you're out of range of his nastier options, dash attack, ftilt, jab, and grabs. At that range, you must space your aerials very carefully. If you do, he's about as vulnerable as any other character, can't punish a nice nair but too close to run away.

tldr: so basically, stay grounded, PS stuff (mostly lasers and ftilt).

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Also, if I may add to Blubo's post, try to see when he uses Phantasm. How close can you get is important because you can then bait him and punish his ending lag. As he camps with lasers, watch his timing and wait for the inevitable Phantasm.

Also the grabs. Look for when he's going to Phantasm early and see if he can get a turnaround grab. Be careful of those, that chaingrab can be very dangerous if you don't have a good handle on how Ike recovers.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
tldr: so basically, stay grounded, PS stuff.

This can be applied to almost all of ike's matchups too in the neutral game.

Also, try Platform Cancelling by only pressing down on the control stick, I personally find it easier to do that as a whole, Particularly as I have cstick set to attack.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
No, just tap down on the control stick when the characters feet are through the smashville platform. because of the way it works, messing up isn't punishable and you're able to buffer things out of it.

Leon taught me to do it like that, Fairly sure its how Mr.R does it too.

Top Bottom