• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you're reading this, then Sakurai doesn't care about you!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I'm not going to bother reading the whole thread, I'm just gonna tell ya'll whats on my mind.

You're right in saying that Sakurai doesn't care about us, specifically. But we are more of a representative of the rest of the competitive players in the world. Our desires mirror those of the hardcore in Japan, Europe, etc. Sakurai is VERY aware of the active and large competitive scene surrounding Smash.

How do I know this? Simple, I did the translations. I read everything on his original site. The very first email he responded to was an email from a famous competitive smasher (I think it was Ken actually) thanking Sakurai for making Smash, since he met his wife at a Smash tournament. The very last email he responded to was an email from the same smasher's wife.

If the VAST majority of people in the world who played smash were simply casual players, then they wouldn't really care about Brawl until its out. But because of popular demand (meaning US) they made Dojo a daily update site. That was done for us, not for the casual players. Meaning we, the hardcore, mean something to Nintendo and to Sakurai. Sakurai understands what he's doing for Brawl. There is a huge demographic, meaning the casual, the hardcore, the Americans, and the Japanese. He's trying to create a game that appeals to all those demographics without disappointing any of them. Do I think he's going to go all out and make the game into some crazy complicated fighter for us? Hell no. Do I think he'll throw in a thing or two that will make us happy that casual players don't even realize? Of course (see: Footstool jumping adding a meteor spike for all characters).

How's that for a reality check?

R0D4N

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to bother reading the whole thread, I'm just gonna tell ya'll whats on my mind.

You're right in saying that Sakurai doesn't care about us, specifically. But we are more of a representative of the rest of the competitive players in the world. Our desires mirror those of the hardcore in Japan, Europe, etc. Sakurai is VERY aware of the active and large competitive scene surrounding Smash.

How do I know this? Simple, I did the translations. I read everything on his original site. The very first email he responded to was an email from a famous competitive smasher (I think it was Ken actually) thanking Sakurai for making Smash, since he met his wife at a Smash tournament. The very last email he responded to was an email from the same smasher's wife.

If the VAST majority of people in the world who played smash were simply casual players, then they wouldn't really care about Brawl until its out. But because of popular demand (meaning US) they made Dojo a daily update site. That was done for us, not for the casual players. Meaning we, the hardcore, mean something to Nintendo and to Sakurai. Sakurai understands what he's doing for Brawl. There is a huge demographic, meaning the casual, the hardcore, the Americans, and the Japanese. He's trying to create a game that appeals to all those demographics without disappointing any of them. Do I think he's going to go all out and make the game into some crazy complicated fighter for us? Hell no. Do I think he'll throw in a thing or two that will make us happy that casual players don't even realize? Of course (see: Footstool jumping adding a meteor spike for all characters).

How's that for a reality check?
While I mostly agree with you, I disagree with the bit about casual players not caring until Brawl actually came out. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore smasher just because I know all the terms and techniques, but I really do care about Brawl. And I do think that majority of smash player are casual. About 55 percent. But thats just me.

Kirbychwan

Smash Rookie
While I mostly agree with you, I disagree with the bit about casual players not caring until Brawl actually came out. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore smasher just because I know all the terms and techniques, but I really do care about Brawl. And I do think that majority of smash player are casual. About 55 percent. But thats just me.

I agree with this sediment. Probably even more than 55%, I'd say around the 65-75% mark.

The OP is epic fail. Of course Sakurai does not care about Smash Boards specifically. I wouldn't either.

But to say that he is disregarding the hardcore gaming market that MAKES Nintendo and the Smash Brothers series what it is, is quite frankly, ********.

Sakurai is attempting to make a game that is entertaining enough enough for casual gamers just to mess around with and have fun at parties and the like, but also with enough depth to appeal to the undeniably large hardcore gaming market.

To deny either market would be foolish, business-wise.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Thats why I said "VAST majority," because the majority of smashers definitely are casual players ^_^

Samurai Panda I <3 you and how come I don't remember you from the UofM Smashfests >=|.
I only went to 1 smash tournament in UofM (cause I only heard of one), and that was in West Quad. I was the only guy playing Ganondorf. And I was still in my pajamas :D

Keku

Smash Apprentice
Uh, children and ******** people are crappy gamers? Whoa, I think you need something else to think about than videogames.

burrito

Smash Lord
Nintendo cares about there hardcore user base. They may not make up a majority of the people who play the games, they are an important part of it. They can't ignore the gaming community or else it would cause a chain reaction that would cause many to lose respect for Nintendo. It is the hardcore gamers that have kept Nintendo alive for so long. Sakurai is obviously a Nintendo fan and a gamer himself and would be seeking to please hardcore gamers not just for financial gain, but personal satisfaction. We have already seen proof of this through the inclusiong of Pit and Metaknight, and the epic single player mode. After all, Smash Bros. is the hardcore player's game.

I'm not saying that Sakurai is going to cater to each of our desires individually, it's just not quite as extreme as you seem to make it out to be.

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
So its basically casual gamers>competitive gamers. So thats pretty much the gist of it, eh?

Makes sense, the rest of this discussion is moot though.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I consider myself a somewhat casual gamer. Probaly the reason is my smash disc has been broken for a year now and I haven't played in years. I would've taken more care of it if I knew of all the techs like Wavedashing. But my sister is a casual gamer, she plays call of duty every once in a while. But she's not going to invite some friends over to play it. Even though I am a casual gamer, Brawl is looking like it's going to be one of the best games I have ever played maybe even best game that I will play. I will practice and play a lot online(if there is) but you won't recognize my name because i'm so good. So case in point, casual gamers are looking towards this game just as much as "hardcore".

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I just remembered one last point to really drive home my argument. The first trailer for Brawl was shown after the E3 speech for Nintendo. Do you know why Nintendo decided not to announce one of the biggest titles they'll have for the Wii during their speech? President Satoru Iwata himself said that they thought they'd keep Brawl until after the speech because Brawl is for the core (i.e. semi-hardcore to hardcore) gamer demographic, and what they're mostly aiming at with the Wii is the casual/non-gamer demographic.

They know the people who will buy Brawl are gamers. Not just casual players.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
The definition of "casual" players has been misused. Casual actually means on occasion. We, Smashers, how often we play it, if we're not playing it like pros, it still doesn't make us casual. We know our ****. We know who we mean when we say "Knuckle Joe" or "Ridley". We know something about the backstory of our characters. We don't refer to the logos as "Mario's Logo" or "Ike's Logo", we know our ****. That makes us more than casual.

Casual gamers don't care about this info. They just want to have fun. We Smashers do. We get excited when we get to see our character being turned into a Smash character, we get excited when we see one of our characters returning. We know our ****.

That defines us from the casual gamers.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Here's the deal:

Sakurai makes the game for everyone.

You can all go home now.
You don't know how forums like this work then. If the game doesn't fit a person's exact personal specifications of what they want, then it's a potential pile of **** that Sakurai created.

Ianthraxx

Smash Apprentice
If Nintendo was making the Smash Bros. games for five year olds, Ice Climbers, Pit and Game & Watch wouldn't be in the game. Nobody would even known who they were, much less care. Also, there is a level of technical skill that can be acheived in these games that escapes most 20-year olds I know, much less five year olds. L-cancelling, powersheilding, etc.

Anyone can play, but ultimately, the Smash Bros. series is made for the fans.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I don't think it's fully made for the fans (about 60% of it is). But SSBB is a game that anyone could play. I think the fans just make it to fit around themselves. (Heck, even I do sometimes)

When I go out to buy SSBB, i'm not going to expect to find the best sport around, i'm going to expect the greastest game around. It'll be amaazing, but ultimately, for everyone

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The definition of "casual" players has been misused. Casual actually means on occasion. We, Smashers, how often we play it, if we're not playing it like pros, it still doesn't make us casual. We know our ****. We know who we mean when we say "Knuckle Joe" or "Ridley". We know something about the backstory of our characters. We don't refer to the logos as "Mario's Logo" or "Ike's Logo", we know our ****. That makes us more than casual.

Casual gamers don't care about this info. They just want to have fun. We Smashers do. We get excited when we get to see our character being turned into a Smash character, we get excited when we see one of our characters returning. We know our ****.

That defines us from the casual gamers.
By that definition I'm not a "casual player".

...Weird, because I'm not a tournament player either.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Why do I find myself agreeing? Wait *looks at almost every other thread in this board* oh...

I'm a Ness main, and I think most of you are immature... *shocking*

Kirye

Smash Ace
Fastest is totally right. The rest of you: stop whining.
I've lit my torch blasphemist!

And it's not about if he's right or not, it's that who cares? This forum was made for game speculation, something to do until the game releases. There've been many threads like this about people pretending to be clever, thinking they'd knock some sense into someone? We come in here KNOWING Sakurai doesn't read these forums, but how does that disallow us the ability to speculate on a game we enjoy until it releases?

Because of some kid who pretends he 'knows the internet'?

Sure, you can take one side or the other, but in the end, this is just a pointless spam thread.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
That may be, but everyone's attacking him like he's the antichrist. All he's done is state the truth.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I've lit my torch blasphemist!

And it's not about if he's right or not, it's that who cares? This forum was made for game speculation, something to do until the game releases. There've been many threads like this about people pretending to be clever, thinking they'd knock some sense into someone? We come in here KNOWING Sakurai doesn't read these forums, but how does that disallow us the ability to speculate on a game we enjoy until it releases?

Because of some kid who pretends he 'knows the internet'?

Sure, you can take one side or the other, but in the end, this is just a pointless spam thread.
Well said, I mostly come to read, not to post. I can't begin to count to number of times I have heard the same argument or information or whatever over and over and over and over again. While there are points well made, it doesn't mean we have to douse the torches

Salaad

Smash Ace
The laughs were for the whole paragraph, not specifically downs syndrome.

You must concede the fact that your cousin is not, and will never be a pro smash brothers player. Thus, counting him as a scrub and not part of the "elite 1%" is valid.
Who the **** said we are pro? and also there are people that view this forum, they are called guests...

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Oh wow, that's some great logic. Just because your sister and your little brother play smash, you think that 5 year olds and non-pro's are 99% of the Smash Brothers player base? A more accurate view is that 1 in 3 smash brother players are Pro.

An even more accurate view is that SmashBoards isn't the only place smashers go to. There are lots of other forums people go to to discuss smash sometimes, and also some people don't have PC's, some have PC's but not internet.

Think about more than personal statistics.

This wasn't meant to be a bad tempered 'STFU' btw, I'm just saying. No offense meant.

A little agreeing here, but 1 out of 3 might be an overstatement

Also, what if every member owned 3 copies of smash like me =o

Friends leave all their stuff at my house, forget about it, and sell their gamecube/move out..

:(

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
While i find this thread offensive yet entertaining, there are indeed very valid points.

On that note, i LOL'd. but tr00 stuff. Oh well, however the game comes out, us 1% will exploit it and fit it to our desires as done with melee. I'm sure less than 1% of humans actually make advances in stuff (scientists, doctors, not politicians, etc) so we can represent that 1% in the smash world.

(on yet another note, i'd say 80% of the people on smashboars are still pretty ********, in that case, the .2% of us will make advancement.)

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
While i find this thread offensive yet entertaining, there are indeed very valid points.

On that note, i LOL'd. but tr00 stuff. Oh well, however the game comes out, us 1% will exploit it and fit it to our desires as done with melee. I'm sure less than 1% of humans actually make advances in stuff (scientists, doctors, not politicians, etc) so we can represent that 1% in the smash world.

(on yet another note, i'd say 80% of the people on smashboars are still pretty ********, in that case, the .2% of us will make advancement.)
is the other 19.8 percent good at math?

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
lol, if you want to that'd be cool. i could check it out, i've been thinking about getting a new sig for a while. especially since i don't go by Kurisu anymore (even though i still play with it as my name thing)

and back on topic, happy bday sakurai :)

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I find it in bad taste that you mention people with down syndrome and laugh at them. My cousin has down syndrome. That's not funny, it's offensive.
I have a not so close relative who has down syndrome and is capable of using the internet.
I find you offensive. Overall.

Alt+F4.
That really doesn't make what you said any less PC.
Reality check morons: we live in the United States. You have the right to be offended, but you also have the right to not stay. Lighten up....

psicicle

Smash Ace
"More than anything, Smash Bros. is a competitive action game"

taken from the website itself.

Not everybody is motivated by money alone.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well it's not looking out to be a very good one, you can only play ZSS by playing with super smashes? That's super ********. That's the dumbest thing I've seen in Brawl so far and if too many of those mechanics come into the game we're going to playing one very messed up game.

Ess oh Aytch

Smash Ace
It's funny how someone can act like such a cynical elitist and not be hitting the nail on the head. Confused?

Sakurai will make this most likely to support the REAL SSBB players. The players that learn the attacks, and the game itself. Do you know why? Because those will be the people making them money by playing this game competitively. Nintendo isn't ********. They aren't going to make one of their biggest titles a game to quell the boredom of a five-year-old and his coterie, and ******** kids. Mainly because, well, they really won't be playing the game. Of course, there will be a LOT of buys at release, and in the early months, because little kids will still be on a high that this game is out and going "MOMMY PLEASE BUY THIS FOR ME!!!!" However, if the game is more of a competitive game, the sales prices will be insane in the beginning, and go at a steady rate, and Nintendo will get their game, most likely, into MLG.

Top Bottom