• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you'd replace one of his projectiles, which one would you get rid of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If you'd replace one of his projectiles, which one would you get rid of?

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Gale Boomerang. I was never quite fond of it (or the regular boomerang for that matter) And it could easily be replaced with another recurrent item such as the Fire Rod or the Hammer.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Gale Boomerang. I was never quite fond of it (or the regular boomerang for that matter) And it could easily be replaced with another recurrent item such as the Fire Rod or the Hammer.
I would instead keep Link with the Boomerang and give Toon Link the hammer. But the oposite would still be good.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
None of them.

Maybe make his costumes determine Gale/regular boomerang. Those are staples!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I don't like the idea of him having 3 projectiles.
It's a bit of an overkill imo.

I'd get rid of the bow and give him a melee or tactical move instead..

None of them.

Maybe make his costumes determine Gale/regular boomerang. Those are staples!
That's actually a pretty cool idea.
The only danger is if one of the costumes' boomerang is better by a range that makes the other costume(s) inferior.

Groose

Smash Champion
Bow. The Boomerang and Bombs are pretty much Link's bread and butter... they have seniority.

D

Deleted member

The Bow. When I play as Link, the Gale Boomerang and Bombs do come in handy.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I dunno, seeing how every single weapon he uses are the most iconic in the series (the bow, the boomerang, the bombs, the hookshot-type of weapon and of course the sword and shield), I don't think the bow should be replaced. Let alone any other projectile.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Too hard to decide which one to replace. If I'm replacing them in importance/found memories of zelda, then I'd remove the bomb. If I'm replacing because of how the mechanics are in the smash series, the bow.
Maybe it's because I pretty much only play melee currently (will get all other smashes eventually), but it takes too long to charge up the bow, it's easily dodged/blocked/reflected. Playing against a human player, they'll just dodge it, playing against CPUs and they'll reflect it with a power block. It's too situational to hit enemies with the bow when bomb+boomerang can fullfill the projectile role at medium to close range. If you could aim the bow up or down that would make it good enough for me.Even if you're lowering the damage to aim it up, or make it charge a little longer, being able to aim it up a little bit would make it useful.

Of course, I haven't used the bow in brawl yet, and it looks like you don't have to charge it long to make it go far, so maybe that's good enough. I've only seen one really good link player use bows to good effect, however he sometimes never uses it against certain matchups.

Replace the bow with Wolf Link transformation! /crazy talk

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't know. I think the Bow should stay, being a staple in the LoZ games. Maybe the Boomerang? It really isn't all that effective, IMO. At least the Gale Boomerang wasn't, honestly just replace it with the regular boomerang.

I'd just keep it as it is, with an upgrade to the boomerang. Also, if you have a bomb out, press Neutral B and then you get a bomb arrow. Cool. The one thing I liked about projectiles is racking up damage and keeping opponents at bay. Which is why I like Samus's projectiles so much, you can use them continuously to put pressure on opponents. I want to see something like that for the Links.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The Gale Boomerang could be replaced with a normal one again. Other than that, I say keep his specials as they are. I'm sure Link has other ways of being improved.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Coming from SSB64, I'd obviously start with replacing current Bow with something else. Preferably yet another projectile, though - the fact Link has so many of these is his staple by now.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
1. They need to somehow have bomb-arrows.
2. Replace the boomerang with a dash attack (oldschool, fools).
3. Also, at 0% his sword should shoot a beam.

That is all.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
1. They need to somehow have bomb-arrows.
2. Replace the boomerang with a dash attack (oldschool, fools).
3. Also, at 0% his sword should shoot a beam.

That is all.
1. I would imagine holding a bomb, then using the bow to have bomb arrows would be a good way to do that. Situational due to long setup time and worrying about bomb going off, but lots of damage (High damage would also be representing how it did in twilight princess [I dunno if there's any other zelda that uses bomb arrows though, TP is the last zelda I've played sadly])
2. Boomerang is more oldschool than the dash attack. :p Depending on how they implemented it, i might like it. For some reason I think it'd be an ability for Toon Link than Regular link since dashing stuff is more common in his games, and it makes sense since Toon Link is faster than Link.
3. It'd have to be a somewhat weak beam. Otherwise a lot of link players would hate Fox's blaster, or any other safe+fast attack. I like the idea though. Do Zelda games still even use the sword beam anymore outside of a special ability? I only remember it being in the first 3 games (I think it was in the oracle also games but I hardly remember anything about those games).

I like your suggestions. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bomb-Arrows, **** yes. This was the first thing I wanted when I saw TP Link in Brawl.

Dash attack, you mean the jumping leap that does 2 x damage in the 3D Zelda games? I'd say, yes.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Yes, I was referring to the Pegasus boots/seeds (though I would enjoy seeing the jump/dash attach as well...). I thought it might change up his strategies a bit if they added this type of move; however, I can't imagine how they would animate it without it looking ridiculous. I agree it would work much better with toon link.

It may also be interesting to see him with a counter attack, since he made use of them in the later games.

As for the bomb arrows, they were also in one of the gameboy games but I can't remember which one...I just remember there was a secret entrance behind a pit where one had to lay a bomb and shoot it with an arrow to remove grass.

Skyward Sword kind of innovated the swordbeam by having it as a chargeable attack that one can use anytime, though I figured it would be just well enough to have it as a little extra projectile, similar to Fox's blaster with low attack and no knockback/stun, though stun would allow for more strategic uses.

I dunno, I just thought a multi-generational hero like Link would have so much more to offer in a game such as this.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Apparently Link's awakening is the only game outside of Twilight Princess (and link's crossbow training) where you can use bomb arrows. All you have to do is equip both bomb and arrows at the same time. This is just info from a wiki though.

As for counters. I haven't heard anyone say anything about that. I guess I'll have to watch some playthroughs of the newer zelda games, was hoping to play them myself first. The only counter-like moves I know of are the parrys in Wind Waker. Im surprised Toon Link doesn't use a parry in Smash in some way to be honest since it was so big in Wind Waker. Of course, Bombs, bows, and boomerangs are very important to both links so I don't really see that happening.

Personally I think normal link should take more moves/styles from 3D games, whereas Toon Link uses moves/styles from the 2D games, since Toon Link has pretty much taken over the 2D games now.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Ah yes, that's the one.

I was referring to the parries, yes. They exist in Twilight princess as well, and I thought they were executed a little better there. It just felt cleaner and more satisfying to me.

I think I'd have to agree with you here. That would be a more concise and unified way of organizing the attributes of and differences between the two Links and would keep the most reasonable of abilities to each.

I guess, though, I'll be happy with anything as long as they don't nerf him further.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
WARNING: This post contains a lot of opinions and babbling.

The parries in Twilight Princess are just a couple Hidden skills. Helm Splitter and back slice (and ending blow if you count magtails/wallmasters/ganon). Only problem I had with those is that they felt a little clunky when executing them. Mainly because you had to do something else before doing those moves. Helm Splitter requiring the Shield attack, and the Back Slice requiring a jump first.

The back slice could be fixed by making it so tapping does jumps, and holdng it down makes you roll. There are a few enemies that I prefer to do short hops around in order to kill them instead of the back slice, so a few playthroughs I ended up purposely not getting all the hidden skills because of the back slice. Mainly because Back Slice leaves you open for attack for such a long time, whereas short hops are a much safer option.

As for the Helm Splitter, maybe pressing the shield attack and jump at the same time would trigger that for whenever you want to do it on an enemy that doesn't require you to shield attack?

The other problem I have with these is that they aren't so much as counter-attacks as much as more ways to attack your enemy. Since you can just wail on enemies because of these Hidden skills, you don't have to wait for the right moment like in Wind Waker.

Mortal draw is my favorite of the Hidden skills though. Makes me feel like a badass everytime.

Ending Blow is too clunky too pull off when you are being swarmed, I would only use this if there's only 1-3 enemies around (unless there's a lizardfos around, they are too fast to let you get up or let you get away for that).
Jump Strike overall needs to be faster. I only use it as an opener on un-suspecting enemies, or enemies running at me from a distance. Getting hit mid-jump or when charging is annoying.

Overall, I'd say Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are just two different swordplay styles.
As for Wind Waker there's a few different variations on the sword combos that you can do other than the standard horizontal, vertical, and thrust, and all the attacks are much faster (except the slowest attack where you spin around and then slice verticaly in front of you, which I've never seen anyone else use on purpose).

Twilight Princess is a bit slower, lacks the silly sword combos that seemingly only Wind Waker had (that no one ever uses sadly, probably why they removed it TP). Perhaps you like TP's swordplay because it feels like each hit has more impact than Wind Waker? Which would make sense, since There's a gigantic red slash when you hit enemies, and I think the time that the screen stays frozen upon hitting an enemy stays longer in TP than it does in WW (probably because you usually don't fight as many mobs. TP has a tendency for you to focus on 1-3 powerful mobs instead of hordes of weak enemies).
Even though it doesn't have the combos, it instead adds something more people will notice, by adding a shield bash, mortal draw, jump strike, and ending blow. Not counting Great Spin because it's just a power up, and it requires you to be full strength as well, and most people I know have a hard time staying at full health.

When it comes to what I want to use to beat up enemies:
Wind Waker for using it's fast and smooth swordplay, and misc weapons that can be used on all enemies, just some enemies are more resistant/weak to certain weapons (You weren't forced to use specific items for enemies in other words, which is one of my problems with TP).

Twilight Princess for Mortal blow, Wolf form, and the Bows (They maybe clunkier, but somehow they feel so much better when they hit [they do 1 shot a lot of things as well]...... And Infinite arrows glitch)

Funny thing is, Wind Waker used to be my most hated Zelda game (At the time it came out I was against things from going serious to being cartoony, I've gotten more open minded since then. Man I feel old.). Now Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game to replay. Twilight Princess I've always liked. The dark world + wolf thing kind of got me hooked right away because of the other video games + other media people had me play/watch around that time (I can't remember what I played/watched that would make me like either thing though).

Now as for the parrys/hidden skills being added to the links. I think Toon Link should get the 2 parrys from his game to should how quick+nimble he is. Link should get the shield attack or jump attack to show how defensive and/or strong he is.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
probably the...

uhhh...

I was about to say boomarang since it was the least used but then I remembered the first zelda.

so no idea. but probably still the boomerang

gaborap

Smash Journeyman
In terms of most iconic... The bow and boomerang would have to stay. I'd trade the bomb for more speed, but I wouldn't replace it for another projectile. He is well balanced with what he can throw. Link is just a little too slow in brawl overall.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd buff the boomerang so he can pick up items right into his hands like from the games. And the bow shouldn't have to be charged - Link is quick with that bad boy, it should be able to fire closer to Falco's laser.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mortal Draw was my favorite skill to in Twilight Princess. Speaking of, I mostly remember TP fondly cause of the Hidden Sword techniques. They where ****ing badass.

finalark

SNORLAX
Either make the bow lighting fast (I.E. near-instant full charge) or change it entirely. There is no reason to use the bow when you have access to the much more versatile boomerang and bombs.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
There's a bit that can be done with arrow canceling, though all of its applications tend to rely on using other attacks with it.

I agree that the draw should be made quicker, though. I don't think he had such a long draw time in any of the Zelda games and I don't think it would make him OP at all.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
They should really focus on fixing Link, because a mascot like him can't sit on the lower end of the tier forever.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
He doesn't need any replacements for his projectiles. I have seen how the Bow can be a good edgeguard on Project M and they just need to make his projectiles work better on zoning. He also needs to be able to fight better in close combat so that he isn't just limited to using projectiles to rack up damage and for Hylia's sake, don't make him so vulnerable to a free charged Smash attack for missing a grab.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
and for Hylia's sake, don't make him so vulnerable to a free charged Smash attack for missing a grab.
Haha, yes! One of the best players I go against is an Ike guy, so you can imagine how it ends EVERY time I miss a grab. Every once in a while I can spot dodge just before the hit (if he waits a few frames too long) and punish his failed punish, but usually I just get Ike'd.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Buff the bow and replace Gale Boomerang with the Beetle.
Both Bow and Beetle should combine with Bomb's.
Buff the recovery with Spin Aerial Atack, maybe not letting him in helpless state, so he could use hookshot after.

Is not that hard buff Link! But Sakurai likes put a spike in his kill-move and make it worse.

Hong

The Strongest
Keep the arrows, but remix them.

Option #1
Bomb arrows with knockback

Option #2
Ice arrows. The longer you charge them and the highest the victim's percentage, the longer it freezes them. Encourages Link players to go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom