• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you were in charge of roster picking for an upcoming Smash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Nope. There is no way Robin would be cut due to time constraints. Want to know why? His game saved the franchise and he brought Magic and Weapon Durability into the mix, 2 things Smash hadn't dare try to bring from Fire Emblem, despite being staples from the series. And Greninja is being pushed a LOT. He's also pushing this new Jojo Stand Mega Evolution thing for Gen VII despite being Gen VI
And this is what Saturn was going on about the whole "Any merits=shoe-in" thing. Yes, Robin and Greninja have merits for returning. But, pretty much everyone has merits as to why they could return next game. And there's going to be some characters that end up being low priority despite having merits. Mewtwo is a good example of this. I'm not arguing Robin or Greninja will end up this way, hell, I'd be shocked if either got cut assuming their futures stayed bright (which I find likely to happen), but merits don't guarantee a character as a high priority.

:094:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
btw, are there any rules about these rosters? Certain amount of characters, only certain amount of veterans, etc.?
There are rules in the first post, but after DLC, they seem kind of outdated.

-70 character limit - depending on how you count the Mii Fighters, and since most people want at least 2 or 3 cut veterans to return, that wouldn't leave much room for new characters. (even if you
-2 newcomers to a series - I don't see any problem with this one (keeps one franchise from dominating the roster), but the game itself already broke that with Corrin's addition (and also, back in Melee with Mario and Zelda)
-up to 5 third party characters - seeing as the game itself has six, I don't think a lot of people would want to cut one or more of them by default.

Mostly, people do whatever they want as long as the total number is reasonable.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nabbit
Paper Mario
Linkle
Ganon, the classic piggy version
obligatory new pokemon
popular pokemon from upcoming remakes if applicable
Anna(FE)
Bandana Dee
Galacta Knight
Ridley
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
King K.Rool
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Elma (Xenoblade)
Isaac
Inkling
Takamaru
Saki Amamiya
Excitebiker
Changes to veterans!
Dark Pit: Complete overhaul using weapon types Pit doesn't use
Lucina: Promotion, She can swap between her sword and a lance, which is slower, but has impressive range and a tipper effect, her other moves involve Awakening animations and Skills she can learn
Roy: Just...Make Flare Blade a projectile, the Sword of Seals is the only good thing about Roy in FE, so it's 2 range should at least get a single reference
Explanation for the characters!
Nabbit is becoming more and more prominent in Mario, and we don't really have a classic Thief archetype in Smash yet
Paper Mario is wellknown for...Multiple reasons to say the least. The main reason I thought of him was because just looking at what little gameplay I saw proved that this guy could always be 100% different
Linkle's a very well-received character, and many fans want her to appear in more games. One could argue this applies to every Zelda character people want in Smash, but we don't really have a full on archer in Smash as Pit only really does a single archery-esque thing
Classic Ganon. People have been BEGGING for Ganondorf to get a different moveset, but honestly, Ganondorf's one of the most fun characters to play as. No reason to change what is fun, but it's inexcusable that Ganondorf, one of the mightiest Nintendo villains, is so unlike his true self
Pokemon are solely advertisements tbh
Anna's a controversial choice solely for being another Fire Emblem character. However, she's rather popular if the internet is to be believed and the developers love her. She could be a 'everything and the kitchen sink' character, using magic, lances, axes, swords, bows, staves and hidden weapons. The amount of characters in a franchise is irrelevant as long as the characters can stand out
Bandana Dee has become a staple in the Kirby franchise, and was highly requested, not to mention Kirby getting next to no modern stuff in Smash is a crime
Galacta Knight has similar reasoning to Bandana Dee, but I'd make GK the final unlockable character, after all, the strongest in the galaxy should always be a final challenge
Ridley. I don't need to go over why he'd be a good fit, size is irrelevant
Dixie Kong A popular character who has enough stuff to make her different from Diddy, some moves can be improvised from DK64's Tiny Kong
Cranky Kong would be a funny addition, as an old geezer beating you with a cane is something I find fitting for a cartoony fighting game
King K.Rool is stupidly popular and has had MORE than enough support to the point he's overdue
Wolf had no reason to be left out other than time constraints
Ice Climbers only had weak tech going against them, shouldn't be a problem
Elma (Xenoblade) XCX's story ends on a sequel bait, and her battle style is something Shulk can't really replicate, nor can anyone else. She's also the main protagonist despite not being the 'playable' character
Isaac has crazy potential and is from a fairly successful franchise which deserves a revival of sorts
Inkling. I hate these things...But because of how many people love Splatoon, I can't really use my personal disdain for the game ruin fun of others
Takamaru is a character who only had 'lack of a western fanbase' against him, he's already become much more popular since Smash
Saki Amamiya is from the cult classic Sin and Punishment. Honestly, this game is something that just NEEDS a revival imo. If only the sequel wasn't poorly marketed...
Excitebike is a very iconic NES game, and riding on a motorcycle doing tricks would certainly be a fun, flashy way to fight
Thoughts?
EXIT: Oops, didn't see the rules about 70 characters or 2 per franchise until after this was done. And I took too much thought into it to know what to remove

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@Swampasaur
Luigi The President Luigi The President

No, not really. Bring up any quote of mine and I can show you one from someone else that is just as comparable. Or even better, don't. This is a forum for Super Smash Bros. Not an intervention where we gang up on users and act superior every time a debate gets heated (Especially Crushermania)Calling me immature, obnoxious, saying everyone is better than me, is not much of an improvement. I would say that I wish you would consider my feelings, but I won't. Because I don't use that tactic unless it's completely hypocritical.

I'm not the one throwing out direct insults and standing on a high horse here. I admit that I get heated. And I get heated when people strawman arguments and intentionally misinterpret them whilst simultaneously acting condescending and as if everything I say is laughable, which regardless of whether that is true or not, is insulting and provoking. So if that's not something you can handle, please use the ignore button. Or let's actually talk about what's relevant to this forum discussion. I'm done addressing attitude complaints.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've known you for the past three years or so and in that amount of time you've continued your own personal crusade against what you consider ignorance of this community. You manage to enter a thread that was pretty peaceful and transform it into a toxic atmosphere. That's not a good thing. You get more than heated, you get downright hostile. This is coming from 3 years of experience.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I've known you for the past three years or so and in that amount of time you've continued your own personal crusade against what you consider ignorance of this community. You manage to enter a thread that was pretty peaceful and transform it into a toxic atmosphere. That's not a good thing. You get more than heated, you get downright hostile. This is coming from 3 years of experience.
I'm done addressing attitude complaints.
Now let's get back on topic.

And this is what Saturn was going on about the whole "Any merits=shoe-in" thing. Yes, Robin and Greninja have merits for returning. But, pretty much everyone has merits as to why they could return next game. And there's going to be some characters that end up being low priority despite having merits. Mewtwo is a good example of this. I'm not arguing Robin or Greninja will end up this way, hell, I'd be shocked if either got cut assuming their futures stayed bright (which I find likely to happen), but merits don't guarantee a character as a high priority.

:094:
I couldn't have summarized it better. And Mewtwo's not the only example. People refused to accept Wolf being cut as even a possibility. Even to the point that some acted baffled at the suggestion. Saying "For what reason would Wolf get cut?".

Even I couldn't accept that Lucas might get cut. Even after it was leaked that Sakurai was debating between cutting him or Ness. And it wasn't just out of bias that I refused to accept it, but out of disbelief that the newest Mother character (and also the ONLY other Mother character) would be cut. But, it happened.

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
N3ON N3ON
@Swampasaur
@SilverEra
@Antique_Gamer
@Opossum

Veterans (36)
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4samus::4zss::4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::4ness::4falcon::popo::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4pit::4palutena::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:

Newcomers
(15)

Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Impa
Sylux
Bandana Dee
A Gen 8 Pokemon
A Future Main Fire Emblem Protagnist
Virdi
Isabelle
Elma
Inkling
Issac
Wonder Red
Takamaru
Rayman

Unlockable Veterans

:4metaknight::4falco::4lucas::4darkpit::pichumelee::4feroy::4lucario::4ryu::4rob::4cloud::4ganondorf::4mewtwo::rosalina::4corrin::4gaw::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4jigglypuff::4tlink::wolf::4bayonetta:
Unlockable Newcomers
Waluigi
Linkle
Black Shadow
Daisy
King K. Rool
Mach Rider
Ridley
Paper Mario
Chorus Men

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
N3ON N3ON
@Swampasaur
@SilverEra
@Antique_Gamer
@Opossum

Veterans
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4samus::4zss::4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::4ness::4falcon::popo::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4pit::4palutena::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:
Newcomers

Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Impa
Sylux
Bandana Dee
A Gen 8 Pokemon
A Future Main Fire Emblem Protagnist
Virdi
Isabelle
Elma
Inkling
Issac
Wonder Red
Takamaru
Rayman

Unlockable Veterans
:4metaknight::4falco::4lucas::4darkpit::pichumelee::4feroy::4lucario::4ryu::4rob::4cloud::4ganondorf::4mewtwo::rosalina::4corrin::4gaw::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4jigglypuff::4tlink::wolf::4bayonetta:
Unlockable Newcomers
Waluigi
Linkle
Black Shadow
Daisy
King K. Rool
Ridley
Paper Mario
Chorus Men
Is this not the same roster as before? Whatever As long as it's got Warlooweglee.

Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar I just tagged you in my last roster. It features Veteran changes, New Stages, and New Assist Trophies. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Since the topic is what you would do if you were in charge of the roster, what changes would you make to the veterans on your roster? Besides just decloning characters.

I already posted mine, but here they are again.
  • Mario's F.L.U.D.D. has been changed to the Galaxy Spin which has also been given to Luigi. Now Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario's moves are in harmony. However Dr. Mario's does not emit stars, it is still the same.
  • Dr. Mario's Victory theme has been changed. It also continues and loops just like in Dr. Mario.
  • Peach's Final Smash is an emotion from Super Princess Peach picked at random. Peach's victory theme has been changed to her rescued theme from the end of Super Mario Bros.
  • Donkey Kong is smaller and made to look like his actual current design in Donkey Kong games. Not that weird fur he has in Smash 4.
  • Sheik uses her harp in one of her victory poses. Impa now debuts as a costume of Sheik.
  • Fox has his old idle animation. His design is now the Star Fox Zero design (along with Falco & Wolf) and the landmaster is as well. The landmaster is also smaller.
  • Wolf's victory theme has been changed.
  • Wario's dash attack is the shoulder ram from Wario Land. Additionally his overall outfit is his main outfit.
  • Dark Pit now uses Gemini Orbitars.
  • Sonic's side special has been changed to his boost attack from Sonic Rush. Sonic also loses rings when KO'd.
  • Cloud now speaks English. His Advent Children color starts at his 5th color. Futhermore, characters from FINAL FANTASY VII and previous Final Fantasy games appear as trophies as well as Geno. There are also soundtracks from previous Final Fantasy games and also the battle music from Bravely Default & Bravely Second.
  • Ms. Pac-Man is now a costume.
  • Koopaling's grab arms match the color of their Clown car.
  • Diddy's Jetpack and Peanut Popgun are the current Donkey Kong Country designs
  • DLC Character's now have custom move sets.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Since the topic is what you would do if you were in charge of the roster, what changes would you make to the veterans on your roster? Besides just decloning characters.
Remove Doc and Bayonetta. Just personal preference here even though I'm biased. I do feel Bayo don't deserve to be in this quickly yet Doc is just...a Mario with a cape and can do the Doc Tornado as down B

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Nabbit
Paper Mario
Linkle
Ganon, the classic piggy version
obligatory new pokemon
popular pokemon from upcoming remakes if applicable
Anna(FE)
Bandana Dee
Galacta Knight
Ridley
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
King K.Rool
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Elma (Xenoblade)
Isaac
Inkling
Takamaru
Saki Amamiya
Excitebiker
Changes to veterans!
Dark Pit: Complete overhaul using weapon types Pit doesn't use
Lucina: Promotion, She can swap between her sword and a lance, which is slower, but has impressive range and a tipper effect, her other moves involve Awakening animations and Skills she can learn
Roy: Just...Make Flare Blade a projectile, the Sword of Seals is the only good thing about Roy in FE, so it's 2 range should at least get a single reference
Explanation for the characters!
Nabbit is becoming more and more prominent in Mario, and we don't really have a classic Thief archetype in Smash yet
Paper Mario is wellknown for...Multiple reasons to say the least. The main reason I thought of him was because just looking at what little gameplay I saw proved that this guy could always be 100% different
Linkle's a very well-received character, and many fans want her to appear in more games. One could argue this applies to every Zelda character people want in Smash, but we don't really have a full on archer in Smash as Pit only really does a single archery-esque thing
Classic Ganon. People have been BEGGING for Ganondorf to get a different moveset, but honestly, Ganondorf's one of the most fun characters to play as. No reason to change what is fun, but it's inexcusable that Ganondorf, one of the mightiest Nintendo villains, is so unlike his true self
Pokemon are solely advertisements tbh
Anna's a controversial choice solely for being another Fire Emblem character. However, she's rather popular if the internet is to be believed and the developers love her. She could be a 'everything and the kitchen sink' character, using magic, lances, axes, swords, bows, staves and hidden weapons. The amount of characters in a franchise is irrelevant as long as the characters can stand out
Bandana Dee has become a staple in the Kirby franchise, and was highly requested, not to mention Kirby getting next to no modern stuff in Smash is a crime
Galacta Knight has similar reasoning to Bandana Dee, but I'd make GK the final unlockable character, after all, the strongest in the galaxy should always be a final challenge
Ridley. I don't need to go over why he'd be a good fit, size is irrelevant
Dixie Kong A popular character who has enough stuff to make her different from Diddy, some moves can be improvised from DK64's Tiny Kong
Cranky Kong would be a funny addition, as an old geezer beating you with a cane is something I find fitting for a cartoony fighting game
King K.Rool is stupidly popular and has had MORE than enough support to the point he's overdue
Wolf had no reason to be left out other than time constraints
Ice Climbers only had weak tech going against them, shouldn't be a problem
Elma (Xenoblade) XCX's story ends on a sequel bait, and her battle style is something Shulk can't really replicate, nor can anyone else. She's also the main protagonist despite not being the 'playable' character
Isaac has crazy potential and is from a fairly successful franchise which deserves a revival of sorts
Inkling. I hate these things...But because of how many people love Splatoon, I can't really use my personal disdain for the game ruin fun of others
Takamaru is a character who only had 'lack of a western fanbase' against him, he's already become much more popular since Smash
Saki Amamiya is from the cult classic Sin and Punishment. Honestly, this game is something that just NEEDS a revival imo. If only the sequel wasn't poorly marketed...
Excitebike is a very iconic NES game, and riding on a motorcycle doing tricks would certainly be a fun, flashy way to fight
Thoughts?
EXIT: Oops, didn't see the rules about 70 characters or 2 per franchise until after this was done. And I took too much thought into it to know what to remove

Like I said, those rules are kind of outdated since the DLC came out, so no need to worry. It looks like a good roster; characters are pretty spread out between series, and I like that you gave your reasoning for all of them. Your new series, in particular, are great choices. Snake seems like the biggest absence, though given Konami's behaviour, I can understand why people would be hesitant to want him back.

Also, there's a program called the Smash Bros. roster maker that will let you easily create a picture of your roster if you want to do that. It can be found here. http://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-9-1-available.336761/ After you make it, you can upload it to places like Imgur and post them here.

As an example, here's what your roster would look like:

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm closing this thread for a day. Things have been too heated in here. Everyone needs to calm down.

Edit: Thread opened again.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
After the recent DLCs, I think I should do my roster for Smash 5 again.

Super Mario Bros.: :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::rosalina:

Yoshi's Island: :4yoshi:

WarioWare: :4wario:

Donkey Kong: :4dk::4diddy:

The Legend of Zelda: :4link::4zelda::4sheik: (hopefully as transformation) :4ganondorf::4tlink:

Metroid: :4samus::4zss: (as transformation)

Kirby: :4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:

Star Fox: :4fox::4falco::wolf:

Pokemon: :4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4mewtwo::4greninja::pichumelee:

EarthBound: :4ness::4lucas:

F-Zero: :4falcon:

Fire Emblem: :4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4corrin: or :4robinf:

Pikmin: :4olimar:

Kid Icarus: :4pit::4palutena:

Wii Fit: :4wiifit:

Animal Crossing: :4villager:

Punch-Out: :4littlemac:

Xenoblade: :4shulk:

Retro: :4gaw::popo::4rob::4duckhunt:

Third Party: :4bayonetta::4sonic::4megaman::4ryu::4cloud2: or :4pacman:

Total: 53
Notes: Ice Climbers, Wolf and Pichu were added due to popular demand.

:4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit: (clones, in previous games we saw that clones and even semi-clones were the main subjects of cuts, plus both Doc and Lucina come from series with already many characters).
Either :4cloud2: or :4pacman: (SEGA and Capcom both got two characters, so it's unlikely to see them cut, plus PAC-MAN was likely added due to collab. with Namco).

:4corrin: or :4robinf: (fans want less FE characters, much like they wanted less Star Fox character in Brawl, so I think we might see two FE characters drop).

:4shulk: can be cut, but he's more unlikely than the five characters above.

:4miibrawl::4miigun: :4miisword: were cut because we don't know if NX will have Miis. Otherwise, they're in.

Paper Mario: c'mon, we NEED him! Also, fits Sakurai criteria: he's a relevant character with great personality and has lots of potential gimmicks or moves.
Captain Toad: while not appearing as often as other Mario characters, Cpt. Toad is a unique and charming choice.
King K. Rool: seriously, I was pretty shocked Bayonetta made in and K. Rool not (please note: shocked, not disappointed).
Dixie Kong: again, I thought she was coming in Smash 4 too. While having lots of unique abilities, I think she could easily be a last-minute semi-clone.
Impa and Tingle: I put them together because the reasons are the same: they're the most recurring Zelda chars that aren't playable in Smash 4. I hope we will se both, because we have the same Zelda chars since Melee...
Sylux: Ridley will never be playable... Poor little (;)) Ridley... However, Tanabe confirmed that Sylux will be a relevant character in Prime 4, so it's likely we will se him/her in Smash 5.
Krystal: fans want less Star Fox characters -> Sakurai cuts Wolf -> fans want more Star Fox characters -> Sakurai brings back Wolf and adds Krystal.
New Gen 7/8 Pokémon
New Fire Emblem lord
Medusa: along with Pit and Palutena, she appeared in each KI game to date, plus she's a female villain...
Isabelle: Isabelle is too cute, isn't she? Anyways, she'll be a particular choice from an acclaimed Nintendo series.
Elma: Xeno X most prominent character. Hope Cross won't be playable instead.
Inkling and Isaac: seriously, they're of course coming. We already saw this.
Wonder Red: an interesting character from a newer IP. He has gimmick potential too!
Stylist: from Savvy Style. Much like WFT...
Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider and Takamaru: retro newcomers. At least one of them is coming, but if I have to guess, I think Takamaru has the highest chances.
Rayman: everyone likes Rayman. That's it.
Professor Layton: tbh, a personal bias.

So we have 75 characters, which means 17 more than Smash 4. I think it's a fair number (Melee had 13 more than Smash 64, Brawl had 13 more than Melee, Smash 4 had 19 more than Brawl).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll have the rest of the reply sometime in the future Saturn. Probably.

You are completely ignoring the fact that there are moves outside of 4 specials. What about the Smash attacks, tilts, aerial attacks. What about all that?
Where did I say I was only referring to the specials? Clearly from the example Goroh moveset I provided I’m referring to the entire moveset.

If Takamaru uses his Katana for those attacks (which he does) what is Goroh gonna do? You'd be hard pressed to create two entirely different move sets of a Samurai using a katana that was creative and not completely desperate. And I mean the actual move set. Not just the specials.
Alright well, here's a Takamaru moveset again made off the top of my head.

Takamaru uses a traditional kenjutsu stance and fighting style, as opposed to Goroh’s. Drawing from both his ninja and samurai influences, his play style revolves around quicks attacks and combos. Many of his attacks can chain into other ones, he has decent melee range (though less than Marth), and a strong projectile game, which allows for very effective spacing and a high degree of mind games. Additionally the majority of his attacks do not have much startup, cooldown, or lag. However Takamaru is a relatively frail character, able to be KO’d at comparatively low percent, and his range of killing moves are limited. His speed is high, weight low (around Zelda or Little Mac), strength below average, below average grab game (though good potential for combo-ing out of his grabs), above average range, average air game, above average air mobility, and above average jumping ability.

Takamaru’s air dodges and rolls render him invisible. He can wall jump. When he runs he leaves a trail of cherry blossoms. He only speaks Japanese.

Entrance: Cherry blossoms swirl around Takamaru as he sits cross-legged, meditating. He then opens his eyes, stands up and removes his katana from its sheath as the cherry blossoms blow away.

B: Takamaru throws a kunai, it travels perfectly horizontal and can cross most of the screen on a medium stage before it disappears. Can be thrown in rapid succession. Does minimal damage and knockback. If you hold B down, the kunai will catch fire for slightly more damage, KB, as well as fire damage
Side B: Takamaru throws two windmill swords in front of him that travel diagonally up and down respectively. Can be thrown in a succession of three before slight cooldown. They do slightly more damage than the kunai. Good for anti-air and gimping
Up B: Takamaru pulls a cloak over himself and becomes invisible. He can then aim himself akin to Din’s Fire, except with vertical range over horizontal. A slight swirl of cherry blossoms follow him to indicate where he is, although in this state he cannot be targeted. If B is pressed immediately after he re-appears he will strike with his katana, dealing significant damage and KB. If B isn’t pressed, he will simply re-emerge without attacking. If used when he is grounded, he will have reduced potential vertical distance yet greater potential horizontal distance before re-emerging. He is momentarily vulnerable after re-appearing whether he attacks or not.
Down B: Takamaru crouches, charging his sword. His sword will catch ablaze, and at full charge (5-6 seconds) will unleash like this:

Opponents will be delivered multiple hits as they are carried backward and delivered fire damage. Less charge time will result in weaker versions of the attack, with the minimal charge time resulting in Takamaru simply swinging his fiery katana. Cannot be stored. Takamaru is vulnerable after attacking if he misses.

A: Takamaru slashes vertically
AA: Takamaru slashes horizontally

Dash Attack: Takamaru does something like this

Ftilt: Takamaru steps forward, bringing his sword down in an arc. Can be used as a follow-up from the Utilt. Slight startup lag during the stepping forward frames.
Utilt: Takamaru swings his sword up in an arc from below him to above his head, hitting opponents upward. Great for follow-ups
Dtilt: Takamaru sweeps his foot around himself. Can hit opponents behind him as well.

Nair: Takamaru closes his eyes and holds his sword close to him as a whirlwind of cherry blossoms surround him. Gives opponents multiple smaller hits, at low opponent damages Takamaru can follow-up out of it
Fair: Takamaru slashes the opponent several times in a combo, finishing with a move that sends them downward diagonally (from Samurai Warriors 3)
Bair: Takamaru throws a kunai behind him. Similar to Villager’s bair
Uair: Takamaru slashes above him. Good for juggling. Similar to Marth’s uair
Dair: Takamaru swings his arm throwing three shuriken below him at 225, 270, and 315 degrees respectively. Minimal damage, decent range

FSmash: Takamaru slashes his sword in front of himself, the sword leaving a fiery trail. Like Ness, and similar to the NES game, if timed correctly Takamaru can reflect projectiles. However, only non-energy based ones.
USmash: Takamaru raises his sword and three fireballs spin around it, dealing fire damage to opponents
DSmash: Takamaru stabs his sword into the ground in front of him. High damage, but only targets opponents he’s facing

Pummel: Takamaru knees opponent
Fthrow: Takamaru shoulder checks opponents, then follows up with a forward slash
Bthrow: Takamaru quickly steps to the other side of the opponent then slashes then
Uthrow: Takamaru slashes the opponent upward, rising with them. Can follow-up if opponent is at low damage
Dthrow: Takamaru throws the opponent against the ground. Good for follow-ups.

Final Smash: Inazuma
Takamaru raises his katana to the sky as dark clouds form and thunder sounds. Lightning unavoidably strikes all opponents on the screen, dealing them 25% damage (no knockback) and shrinking them.

And there you go. Another completely unique moveset based around a katana. One that doesn’t resemble Goroh nor other sword-wielders. And the Takamaru character, as vaguely defined as it is, is still preserved, with his use of samurai, elemental and ninja tactics as well as a more traditional approach to a katana-based moveset. There are references to the original game as well as Nintendo Land and Samurai Warriors 3, and even Sakura Samurai. The seriousness, stoicism, agility and proficiency of the character is also retained. And that’s even without elaborating via taunts and win/loss poses.

Here's the Goroh moveset for the sake of comparison:

Goroh uses a reverse grip when holding his katana (think of the guy from The Force Unleashed), and does not fight in the precise, fluid, or honourable way normally associate with katanas. He fights brutishly and often uses his katana as more of a club than a sword. He is of average speed, above average weight, high strength, low range, below average air mobility and low jumping ability. Though his recovery move carries him a fair distance to compensate for his lack of jumping ability.

B: Goroh yells "Stingray Slash!" and slashes his sword at a ~110 degree angle generating pink wind-energy in front of him. Contact with the energy stuns opponents and causes moderate electrical damage, leaving them open to a follow-up attack. If timed right, can also blow back projectiles. Short ranged. Contact with just the sword also deals damage however it is minimal as it would only happen at an awkward angle.
Side B: Runs forward, arm extended and butt of the hilt facing forward, carries opponents for multi-hits like Marill when contact is made. Press B again during the attack to have him backhandedly slash the katana, knocking opponents away
Up B: Does a backward somersault, katana out. Sort of like a vertical version of one of the Mii swordfighter's side specials. Has a backward trajectory, so best to recover facing away from the stage. With DI can only go so far as to traveling directly vertical. Travels a fair distance though somewhat difficult to master.
Down B: Goroh enters a rage whereby his attack power and speed increase and knockback against him decreases. Rage lasts for maybe 10 seconds, afterwards for ten seconds he is weaker than normal and susceptible to greater knockback. There is also a cooldown period before re-use. When he is ready to re-rage, that little anime rage-mark thing appears on his forehead and he growls

Fsmash: Goroh holds his katana with both hands horizontal at head level and stabs blade-forward in a quick motion, pinkish electrical damage dealt akin to Falcon's fire damage with his Fsmash
Usmash: Goroh does a one-handed cartwheel, kicking the opponent above him twice
Dsmash: Holding the katana hilt-forward Goroh jams the katana down in-front of him then behind him. The second hit is much more powerful (this one is similar to Cloud's Dsmash, granted)

Dash attack: Holding the katana vertically, one palm against the back of the middle of the blade, Goroh jams the sword in front of him
Ftilt: Goroh headbutts in front of him
Utilt: Holding the hilt in one hand and the blade in another, Goroh shoves the sword horizontally above his head, almost as if he were holding a staff
Dtilt: Goroh stabs downward with the hilt of the sword

Nair: Chest bumps opponent
Fair: Spikes opponent down with the butt end of the sword's hilt
Uair: Somersaults upward with sword out, similar to Samus's recovery, except with slightly more hitbox range and only a single hit.
Bair: Slashes behind himself
Dair: Holds sword close to chest, blade out, and propels downward spinning, like a faster vertical version of MK's side special. Has slight DI.

A: With both hands holding the katana, Goroh slashes downward
AA: With both hands holding the katana, Goroh slashes upward
A (continuous): With one hand holding the katana, Goroh slashes forward in a flurry like his AT. Eventually he delivers a blow that knocks opponents away

So now I’ve provided you with movesets for two characters who use the same weapon but don’t resemble any existing movesets nor each other’s. If nothing else this proves it's entirely possible to come up with multiple movesets for a katana.

I'm sorry, but that's simply a lie
I checked my pants but they don't seem to be on fire. ;P

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'll have the rest of the reply sometime in the future Saturn. Probably.

Where did I say I was only referring to the specials? Clearly from the example Goroh moveset I provided I’m referring to the entire moveset.

Takamaru uses a traditional kenjutsu stance and fighting style, as opposed to Goroh’s. Drawing from both his ninja and samurai influences, his play style revolves around quicks attacks and combos. Many of his attacks can chain into other ones, he has decent melee range (though less than Marth), and a strong projectile game, which allows for very effective spacing and a high degree of mind games. Additionally the majority of his attacks do not have much startup, cooldown, or lag. However Takamaru is a relatively frail character, able to be KO’d at comparatively low percent, and his range of killing moves are limited. His speed is high, weight low (around Zelda or Little Mac), strength below average, below average grab game (though good potential for combo-ing out of his grabs), above average range, average air game, above average air mobility, and above average jumping ability.

Takamaru’s air dodges and rolls render him invisible. He can wall jump. When he runs he leaves a trail of cherry blossoms. He only speaks Japanese.

Entrance: Cherry blossoms swirl around Takamaru as he sits cross-legged, meditating. He then opens his eyes, stands up and removes his katana from its sheath as the cherry blossoms blow away.

B: Takamaru throws a kunai, it travels perfectly horizontal and can cross most of the screen on a medium stage before it disappears. Can be thrown in rapid succession. Does minimal damage and knockback. If you hold B down, the kunai will catch fire for slightly more damage, KB, as well as fire damage
Side B: Takamaru throws two windmill swords in front of him that travel diagonally up and down respectively. Can be thrown in a succession of three before slight cooldown. They do slightly more damage than the kunai. Good for anti-air and gimping
Up B: Takamaru pulls a cloak over himself and becomes invisible. He can then aim himself akin to Din’s Fire, except with vertical range over horizontal. A slight swirl of cherry blossoms follow him to indicate where he is, although in this state he cannot be targeted. If B is pressed immediately after he re-appears he will strike with his katana, dealing significant damage and KB. If B isn’t pressed, he will simply re-emerge without attacking. If used when he is grounded, he will have reduced potential vertical distance yet greater potential horizontal distance before re-emerging. He is momentarily vulnerable after re-appearing whether he attacks or not.
Down B: Takamaru crouches, charging his sword. His sword will catch ablaze, and at full charge (5-6 seconds) will unleash like this:

Opponents will be delivered multiple hits as they are carried backward and delivered fire damage. Less charge time will result in weaker versions of the attack, with the minimal charge time resulting in Takamaru simply swinging his fiery katana. Cannot be stored. Takamaru is vulnerable after attacking if he misses.

A: Takamaru slashes vertically
AA: Takamaru slashes horizontally

Dash Attack: Takamaru does something like this

Ftilt: Takamaru steps forward, bringing his sword down in an arc. Can be used as a follow-up from the Utilt. Slight startup lag during the stepping forward frames.
Utilt: Takamaru swings his sword up in an arc from below him to above his head, hitting opponents upward. Great for follow-ups
Dtilt: Takamaru sweeps his foot around himself. Can hit opponents behind him as well.

Nair: Takamaru closes his eyes and holds his sword close to him as a whirlwind of cherry blossoms surround him. Gives opponents multiple smaller hits, at low opponent damages Takamaru can follow-up out of it
Fair: Takamaru slashes the opponent several times in a combo, finishing with a move that sends them downward diagonally (from Samurai Warriors 3)
Bair: Takamaru throws a kunai behind him. Similar to Villager’s bair
Uair: Takamaru slashes above him. Good for juggling. Similar to Marth’s uair
Dair: Takamaru swings his arm throwing three shuriken below him at 225, 270, and 315 degrees respectively. Minimal damage, decent range

FSmash: Takamaru slashes his sword in front of himself, the sword leaving a fiery trail. Like Ness, and similar to the NES game, if timed correctly Takamaru can reflect projectiles. However, only non-energy based ones.
USmash: Takamaru raises his sword and three fireballs spin around it, dealing fire damage to opponents
DSmash: Takamaru stabs his sword into the ground in front of him. High damage, but only targets opponents he’s facing

Pummel: Takamaru knees opponent
Fthrow: Takamaru shoulder checks opponents, then follows up with a forward slash
Bthrow: Takamaru quickly steps to the other side of the opponent then slashes then
Uthrow: Takamaru slashes the opponent upward, rising with them. Can follow-up if opponent is at low damage
Dthrow: Takamaru throws the opponent against the ground. Good for follow-ups.

Final Smash: Inazuma
Takamaru raises his katana to the sky as dark clouds form and thunder sounds. Lightning unavoidably strikes all opponents on the screen, dealing them 25% damage (no knockback) and shrinking them.

And there you go. Another completely unique moveset based around a katana. One that doesn’t resemble Goroh nor other sword-wielders. And the Takamaru character, as vaguely defined as it is, is still preserved, with his use of samurai, elemental and ninja tactics as well as a more traditional approach to a katana-based moveset. There are references to the original game as well as Nintendo Land and Samurai Warriors 3, and even Sakura Samurai. The seriousness, stoicism, agility and proficiency of the character is also retained. And that’s even without elaborating via taunts and win/loss poses.

Here's the Goroh moveset for the sake of comparison:

Goroh uses a reverse grip when holding his katana (think of the guy from The Force Unleashed), and does not fight in the precise, fluid, or honourable way normally associate with katanas. He fights brutishly and often uses his katana as more of a club than a sword. He is of average speed, above average weight, high strength, low range, below average air mobility and low jumping ability. Though his recovery move carries him a fair distance to compensate for his lack of jumping ability.

B: Goroh yells "Stingray Slash!" and slashes his sword at a ~110 degree angle generating pink wind-energy in front of him. Contact with the energy stuns opponents and causes moderate electrical damage, leaving them open to a follow-up attack. If timed right, can also blow back projectiles. Short ranged. Contact with just the sword also deals damage however it is minimal as it would only happen at an awkward angle.
Side B: Runs forward, arm extended and butt of the hilt facing forward, carries opponents for multi-hits like Marill when contact is made. Press B again during the attack to have him backhandedly slash the katana, knocking opponents away
Up B: Does a backward somersault, katana out. Sort of like a vertical version of one of the Mii swordfighter's side specials. Has a backward trajectory, so best to recover facing away from the stage. With DI can only go so far as to traveling directly vertical. Travels a fair distance though somewhat difficult to master.
Down B: Goroh enters a rage whereby his attack power and speed increase and knockback against him decreases. Rage lasts for maybe 10 seconds, afterwards for ten seconds he is weaker than normal and susceptible to greater knockback. There is also a cooldown period before re-use. When he is ready to re-rage, that little anime rage-mark thing appears on his forehead and he growls

Fsmash: Goroh holds his katana with both hands horizontal at head level and stabs blade-forward in a quick motion, pinkish electrical damage dealt akin to Falcon's fire damage with his Fsmash
Usmash: Goroh does a one-handed cartwheel, kicking the opponent above him twice
Dsmash: Holding the katana hilt-forward Goroh jams the katana down in-front of him then behind him. The second hit is much more powerful (this one is similar to Cloud's Dsmash, granted)

Dash attack: Holding the katana vertically, one palm against the back of the middle of the blade, Goroh jams the sword in front of him
Ftilt: Goroh headbutts in front of him
Utilt: Holding the hilt in one hand and the blade in another, Goroh shoves the sword horizontally above his head, almost as if he were holding a staff
Dtilt: Goroh stabs downward with the hilt of the sword

Nair: Chest bumps opponent
Fair: Spikes opponent down with the butt end of the sword's hilt
Uair: Somersaults upward with sword out, similar to Samus's recovery, except with slightly more hitbox range and only a single hit.
Bair: Slashes behind himself
Dair: Holds sword close to chest, blade out, and propels downward spinning, like a faster vertical version of MK's side special. Has slight DI.

A: With both hands holding the katana, Goroh slashes downward
AA: With both hands holding the katana, Goroh slashes upward
A (continuous): With one hand holding the katana, Goroh slashes forward in a flurry like his AT. Eventually he delivers a blow that knocks opponents away

So now I’ve provided you with movesets for two characters who use the same weapon but don’t resemble any existing movesets nor each other’s. If nothing else this proves it's entirely possible to come up with multiple movesets for a katana.

I checked my pants but they don't seem to be on fire. ;P
My point is that the only truly unique abilities you've suggested are the one's that would be Takamaru's specials. As for the rest, just because the moves are different, doesn't mean they are unique or creative. You can come up with a move set for Chrom that is completely different from Marth & Ike. That doesn't make it interesting. In my opinion, the Takamaru move set is very unique and creative. And by doing so, it makes your Samurai Goroh move set completely bland and boring in comparison, negating your complaint about sharing some moves with Captain Falcon not being creative enough to be plausible and negating the point of wasting man hours on move set that doesn't really bring much to the table. It's different, but it's not really innovative. I prefer my move set which is a combination of sword attacks and physical body attacks which simultaneously reflects his rival who he already behaves similar to to begin with. Which also doesn't waste man hours on a lower priority character who's move set doesn't really break new grounds.

This feels a lot like the Chrom debate we had years ago.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Is this still a thread about showing rosters? At this point I don't know. :\
Anywho...

Veterans:
Mario
Dr. Mario

Newcomers:
Fire Mario
Cape Mario
Tanooki Mario
Racoon Mario
Frog Mario
Hammer Mario
Ice Mario
Rock Mario
Cloud Mario
Propeller Mario
Gold Mario
Mega Mario
Mini Mario
Baby Mario
Metal Mario
Green Mario
Mario Mario
Super Smash Bros Mario
Mario Kart Mario
Super Mario Bros Movie Mario
Super Mario Bros Animated Series Mario
Lou Albano Mario
Mario Kirby

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Made an improved version of the NX port of Smash 4 I made earlier. I think all in all it's well rounded and is realistic for the most part and has a nice blend of characters new and old.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Made an improved version of the NX port of Smash 4 I made earlier. I think all in all it's well rounded and is realistic for the most part and has a nice blend of characters new and old.

Remove Linkle, add a Rhythm Heaven rep, add a Pikmin rep, then it'd check out imo. But it doesn't really have a nice blend of old characters, there's few cool retro's on this list, like Takamaru or even Excitebiker.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I never thought I'd say this to another Smash fan, but this is a good roster. It's surprisingly solid. Despite the third parties, there are no excessive additions or outrageous characters. That is of course except for Geno. But, I am not oppose to his addition due to him being so requested and Sakurai acknowledging it and wanting (emphasis on the word "wanting") to add him because of it. It's totally feasible that Geno will appear in a roster that is a port of the previous game. I was thinking of including Geno in the newest addition of my 100 Character Roster. Waddle Dee I wouldn't add because we have all the Kirby characters necessary and I don't believe in adding enemies disguised as characters. However Waddle Dee has a lot of potential because there are so many forms of him in the Kirby series and so many different weapons that they use. (Which is why I always thought Shy Guy would be a great Yoshi character). And he does have important roles in Kirby 64 and Return to Dreamland.

Linkle I'm iffy on, but I can understand her inclusion. Isaac I'm also iffy on. If he got a new game on 3DS, and it was successful, I would totally approve of a Golden Sun character. But, not at this point.

Overall this seems like a good representation of a port roster. Though I don't think there would be any added third parties. Just the 6 available from the start instead.

Your roster could use a visual tweak though. I always make sure my rosters have pics with characters that aren't bigger than others or panned isometrically to the characters next to them.

But, the layout is professional. The characters are placed accordingly and for the most part in order of series debut.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I never thought I'd say this to another Smash fan, but this is a good roster. It's surprisingly solid. Despite the third parties, there are no excessive additions or outrageous characters. That is of course except for Geno. But, I am not oppose to his addition due to him being so requested and Sakurai acknowledging it and wanting (emphasis on the word "wanting") to add him because of it. It's totally feasible that Geno will appear in a roster that is a port of the previous game. I was thinking of including Geno in the newest addition of my 100 Character Roster. Waddle Dee I wouldn't add because we have all the Kirby characters necessary and I don't believe in adding enemies disguised as characters. However Waddle Dee has a lot of potential because there are so many forms of him in the Kirby series and so many different weapons that they use. (Which is why I always thought Shy Guy would be a great Yoshi character). And he does have important roles in Kirby 64 and Return to Dreamland.

Linkle I'm iffy on, but I can understand her inclusion. Isaac I'm also iffy on. If he got a new game on 3DS, and it was successful, I would totally approve of a Golden Sun character. But, not at this point.

Overall this seems like a good representation of a port roster. Though I don't think there would be any added third parties. Just the 6 available from the start instead.

Your roster could use a visual tweak though. I always make sure my rosters have pics with characters that aren't bigger than others or panned isometrically to the characters next to them.

But, the layout is professional. The characters are placed accordingly and for the most part in order of series debut.
Not all characters need to be successful on the newest console. Don't see why Isaac can't be in if he's not big on just one Nintendo console.

On another note; I'd like Shy Guy as a Yoshi rep too, but he is also an enemy character? Bandana Dee is even more unique then him, but you're opposed to him for whatever reason? Personally I'd like Poochy over Shy Guy, though.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Guys, I'd like to clarify that this is a "what would you do to the roster" thread, not a "rate my roster/10" thread

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Here is what I would do to the roster:

Empty Roster.png

Blue: Veteran Starter Character
Green: Veteran Secret Character
Red: Newcomer Starter Character
Yellow: Newcomer Secret Character

First Thing: Make the Roster Bigger!

85 Characters Overall
40 Unlockable Characters

Things to note:

• The newcomer behind Hector is for the newest Fire Emblem character.
  • Not sure who to put for the remaining 2 remaining 3rd party spots.
  • Ganondorf is decloned and his old moveset is sent to Black Shadow.
  • Dark Pit, Doctor Mario and Lucina are alternate costumes to their original counter parts.
  • Alph is given his own unique moveset.
  • Third Party positions are 10% of what the non--third party character roster accounts to. In this case there are 78 non 3rd party characters meaning there are 7 spots for third party characters. This is done to keep Third Party characters to a minimum.
  • Clones are either gotten rid of or diversified even further to give more original movesets.
  • Let players customize the order of the roster anyway they want.
  • Give players more characters to unlock.
  • Introduce dual unlocking where two players can unlock two characters simultaneously if they beat both of their opponents.
Note: You can mix and match two combinations of characters to unlock other characters from different franchises. Characters are not limited to only unlocking characters from their franchises.

What the Starter Roster looks like:

SSB5 Ideal Starter Roster.png

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Remove Linkle, add a Rhythm Heaven rep, add a Pikmin rep, then it'd check out imo. But it doesn't really have a nice blend of old characters, there's few cool retro's on this list, like Takamaru or even Excitebiker.
I would remove Rayman for a Rhythm Heaven Character who I expect would be in the NX port actually. I needed to take in to account that 3rd parties may be unlikely unless their Namco Bandai characters like Heihachi. As for the list, it has relatively older characters like K. Rool, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee while also adding newer characters like Elma, Linkle, and Inkling.

Thanks. As for Geno and Bandanna Dee both characters are really popular and I expect them to be higher up in the Ballot. Same thing with Isaac even with his series in limbo. Sheer Ballot popularity should play a role in getting the character in the game.

Linkle, Elma, and Inkling (as well as a Rhythm Heaven character that probably should have been on this list) I could see getting in not because of fan support but because their new characters and would be able to get in easier than a character that isn't new. Should also note that LoZ deserves having a 6th rep in the game seeing as FE got a 6th rep for their series.

As for the layout, I ran out of space and I wanted to keep the roster as close to the Sm4sH's layout as possible. It's also why I gave a separate row to the 3rd parties.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I would remove Rayman for a Rhythm Heaven Character who I expect would be in the NX port actually. I needed to take in to account that 3rd parties may be unlikely unless their Namco Bandai characters like Heihachi. As for the list, it has relatively older characters like K. Rool, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee while also adding newer characters like Elma, Linkle, and Inkling.

Thanks. As for Geno and Bandanna Dee both characters are really popular and I expect them to be higher up in the Ballot. Same thing with Isaac even with his series in limbo. Sheer Ballot popularity should play a role in getting the character in the game.

Linkle, Elma, and Inkling (as well as a Rhythm Heaven character that probably should have been on this list) I could see getting in not because of fan support but because their new characters and would be able to get in easier than a character that isn't new. Should also note that LoZ deserves having a 6th rep in the game seeing as FE got a 6th rep for their series.

As for the layout, I ran out of space and I wanted to keep the roster as close to the Sm4sH's layout as possible. It's also why I gave a separate row to the 3rd parties.
I don't see why you would add a character just because they are from Namco. That's kind of a thing Sakurai said he wanted to avoid doing. I also don't agree with pointlessly shoe horning in characters for no other reason than to compete in the numbers game.

I also would have added Takamaru and Rhythm Heaven Troupe. Waluigi and Dixie would have also been good choices.

Also how is this for a layout?
Request.png

I added 2 characters to even out the ends and you mentioned you should have added a Rhythm Character. I would have added Waluigi to make it an even 70, but I don't want to infringe too far on your vision. So it's gonna be a 69. Tee hee.

You can use it if you want. (It's also worth nothing, Waddle Dee not only has a better pose, but is without his Spear. Which better implies he would have a move set based around the forms and weapons of Waddle Dees in Kirby.

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713

I already posted mine, but here they are again.
  • Mario's F.L.U.D.D. has been changed to the Galaxy Spin which has also been given to Luigi. Now Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario's moves are in harmony. However Dr. Mario's does not emit stars, it is still the same.
  • Dr. Mario's Victory theme has been changed. It also continues and loops just like in Dr. Mario.
  • Peach's victory theme has been changed to her rescued theme from the end of Super Mario Bros.
  • Donkey Kong is smaller and made to look like his actual current design in Donkey Kong games. Not that weird fur he has in Smash 4.
  • Sheik uses her harp in one of her victory poses.
  • Fox has his old idle animation. His design is now the Star Fox Zero design (along with Falco & Wolf) and the landmaster is as well. The landmaster is also smaller.
  • Wolf's victory theme has been changed.
  • Wario's dash attack is the shoulder ram from Wario Land. Additionally his overall outfit is his main outfit.
  • Dark Pit now uses Gemini Orbitars.
  • Sonic's side special has been changed to his boost attack from Sonic Rush. Sonic also loses rings when KO'd.
  • Cloud now speaks English. His Advent Children color starts at his 5th color. Futhermore, characters from Final Fantasy 7 and previous Final Fantasy games appear as trophies as well as Geno. There are also soundtracks from previous Final Fantasy games and also the battle music from Bravely Default & Bravely Second.
  • Ms. Pac-Man is now a costume.
  • Koopaling's grab arms match the color of their Clown car.
  • Diddy's Jetpack and Peanut Popgun are the current Donkey Kong Country designs
  • DLC Character's now have custom move sets.
My Changes:
:4mario:- Mario's F.L.U.D.D. has been changed to the Mario Tornado.
:4dk:- DK's Konga Beat has been changed to the scene where he finishes off a boss in DKC: Returns & Tropical Freeze.
:4kirby:- Kirby's Ultra Sword has been changed to the Robot Armor from ''Kirby: Planet Robobot.
:4fox:- Fox has his old idle animation. His design is now the Star Fox Zero design (along with Falco & Wolf).
:4luigi:- Mr. L is now a costume.
:4falcon:- Captain Falcon now has his helmetless self as his Alt. Costume.
:4ness:- Ness now has his pajamas as his Alt. Costume.
:4jigglypuff:- Jigglypuff's Puff Up has been changed to Moonblast or Hyper Voice (if Sound-Type was a thing in Sun & Moon). her Air Speed was back to Melee's, Rest kills at 50%-60% and she's slightly faster and stronger too. Jigglypuff now has her headband, crown and fairy wings as costumes.
:4peach:- Peach's Peach Bellssom has been changed to either the Emotions from Super Princess Peach or the Peach Beam from Paper Mario and her Victory Theme was changed to the Level Clear theme from Super Princess Peach as well. Peach's fire flower costume now has a ponytail.
:4sheik:- Shiek's Light Arrow has been changed to the Song of Storms.
:pichumelee: - Pichu's Skull Bash and Quick Attack no longer hurt him due to the fact that these moves are actually Normal-Type moves.
:4falco:- Falco's Landmaster has been changed to the Arwing.
:4wario2:- Wario's dash attack is the shoulder ram from Wario Land. Additionally his overall outfit is his main outfit.
:4sonic:- Sonic's side special has been changed to his boost attack from Sonic Rush. Sonic also loses rings when KO'd.
:4lucas:- Lucas now has his masked Man costume.
:4tlink:- Toon Link now has his outset costume.
:wolf:- Wolf's Victory Theme has been changed.
:rosalina:- Rosalina's Power Star is much powerful. Rosalina's fire flower costume now has a ponytail and purple ear rings as well.
:4greninja:- Greninja transform to his Mega Evolution (if he ever gets one) then do the Secret Ninja Attack.
:4palutena:- Palutena now has her X-Ray glasses as her costume
:4pacman:- Ms. Pac-Man is now a costume.
:4darkpit:- Dark Pit now uses Gemini Orbitars.
:4bowserjr:- Bowser's Final Smash has been changed to the Airship Armada and so was his Victory Theme.
:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:- they now have custom move sets.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
My Changes:
:4dk:- DK's Konga Beat has been changed to the scene where he finishes off a boss in DKC: Returns & Tropical Freeze.
:4kirby:- Kirby's Ultra Sword has been changed to the Robot Armor from ''Kirby: Planet Robobot.
:4fox:- Fox has his old idle animation. His design is now the Star Fox Zero design (along with Falco & Wolf).
:4jigglypuff:- Jigglypuff's Puff Up has been changed to Moonblast or Hyper Voice (if Sound-Type was a thing in Sun & Moon), her Air Speed was back to Melee's, Rest kills at 50%-60% and she's slightly faster and stronger too
:4peach:- Peach's Peach Bellssom has been changed to either the Emotions from Super Princess Peach or the Peach Beam from Paper Mario and her Victory Theme was changed to the Level Clear theme from Super Princess Peach as well.
:4wario2:- Wario's dash attack is the shoulder ram from Wario Land. Additionally his overall outfit is his main outfit.
:4sonic:- Sonic's side special has been changed to his boost attack from Sonic Rush. Sonic also loses rings when KO'd.
:rosalina:- Rosalina's Power Star is much powerful.
:4greninja:- Greninja transform to his Mega Evolution (if he ever gets one) then do the Secret Ninja Attack.
:4bowserjr:- Bowser's Final Smash has been changed to the Airship Armada and so was his Victory Theme.
:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:- they now have custom move sets.
It actually would be cool if Jigglypuff's Final Smash was her singing her classic song and then drawing on opponents faces. But, I think her current FS works better. And that Song of Storms is a clever idea. But I still prefer her current Final Smash as well as Bowser Jr and his victory theme. I'd also much rather keep Donkey Kong and Kirby's Final Smashes.

And your Peach Final Smash is a good idea. I'm gonna add that to mine. I might even add Impa as a costume for Sheik.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Dude, I am loving Takamaru's moveset! It sounds wickedly awesome to play! Takamaru sounds wickedly awesome to play!

Last edited:

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
It actually would be cool if Jigglypuff's Final Smash was her singing her classic song and then drawing on opponents faces. But, I think her current FS works better. And that Song of Storms is a clever idea. But I still prefer her current Final Smash as well as Bowser Jr and his victory theme. I'd also much rather keep Donkey Kong and Kirby's Final Smashes.

And your Peach Final Smash is a good idea. I'm gonna add that to mine. I might even add Impa as a costume for Sheik.
i had several more changes as i edited my change list and their all about Alt. Costumes

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
You know one character from the Kirby series who could have a lot of potential for a new Final Smash though? :4dedede:, seriously, i was so disappointed when i found out they didn't change it to Masked Dedede. We have two Kirby characters that have trapping final smashes did we really need a third one?

D

Deleted member

You know one character from the Kirby series who could have a lot of potential for a new Final Smash though? :4dedede:, seriously, i was so disappointed when i found out they didn't change it to Masked Dedede. We have two Kirby characters that have trapping final smashes did we really need a third one?
That could actually work pretty well. I'll might change it to his FS in my roster.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My point is that the only truly unique abilities you've suggested are the one's that would be Takamaru's specials. As for the rest, just because the moves are different, doesn't mean they are unique or creative.
Actually them being different from the others does indeed make them unique. And I don't know what kind of nebulous, ill-defined standards you've set for the normal moves, but that part of the moveset is usually less flashy and "exciting" than the specials, it's deliberately more normal with the focus being function over flash.

Also
In my opinion, the Takamaru move set is very unique and creative.
Contradictions much?

You can come up with a move set for Chrom that is completely different from Marth & Ike. That doesn't make it interesting.
This feels a lot like the Chrom debate we had years ago.
You're holding Chrom up as some shining exemplar of why your argument is sound, but you don't realize that Chrom is neither the second Marth nor the second Ike. He's the third similarly-dressed, similarly-proportioned, similarly-characterized character who wields a two-handed medieval longsword primarily with one hand. Falchion and Ragnell do have differences to them, but they're also both the same kind of sword, a longsword. Yet Sakurai made two distinct movesets from the same weapon type.

When he discussed why he didn't include Chrom, Sakurai even grouped Marth and Ike together as "plain old sword wielders", comparing Chrom not to either, but to both. Yet he still found two totally unique movesets for them before running into trouble with a third character of the same archetype. Chrom is not an apt comparison to make. Ike is the example that fits this situation of two characters wielding the same type of sword, and Ike was made unique. Years before Chrom was even on the scene, Ike was the one facing the "he'd be too similar to Marth/Roy" argument.

And for what it's worth, I never argued Chrom was the most unique of characters, nor did I ever support his inclusion, I argued he could be made unique, which I stand by. It's just that compared to Robin he doesn't hold a candle, which is something Sakurai realized, and something I argued long before the confirmation.

In my opinion, the Takamaru move set is very unique and creative. And by doing so, it makes your Samurai Goroh move set completely bland and boring in comparison, negating your complaint about sharing some moves with Captain Falcon not being creative enough to be plausible and negating the point of wasting man hours on move set that doesn't really bring much to the table.
But why compare two movesets that aren't similar in the first place? They use the same weapon but they don't share any of the same attacks. That's like saying Squirtle and Greninja have comparable movesets as they're both water-using amphibious characters.

Your point was there couldn't be two different katana movesets that co-exist. I proved there was, so there's no need to still compare them. There's no point in comparing Marth and Ike's movesets specifically because they're very different all things considered.

It's different, but it's not really innovative.
First of all, my goal was never to innovate, it was to make a unique Goroh moveset based around the sword. And no, it's not the most innovative moveset in Smash history (neither is yours), but with the unique rage mechanic, backwards recovery, and reverse grip stance leading to predominantly hilt-based attacks (plus the fact that it's a 95% unique moveset) I think most would agree it suffices for bringing new elements to the table given what Goroh has to work with.

I prefer my move set which is a combination of sword attacks and physical body attacks which simultaneously reflects his rival who he already behaves similar to to begin with.
Preference is one thing but saying there can't be two unique coexisting katana movesets, which is what you were doing, is another. Btw, your opinion is hardly indicative of the general consensus. Most people would take a completely unique character over a semi-clone, which is why in character threads you see the vast majority of potential movesets being made completely, or at least primarily, unique.

Which also doesn't waste man hours on a lower priority character who's move set doesn't really break new grounds.
I mean if you want to be realistic about it, Samurai Goroh isn't going to be included in the first place without a new F-Zero game. This is under the hypothetical of having unlimited time and resources.

Dude, I am loving Takamaru's moveset! It sounds wickedly awesome to play! Takamaru sounds wickedly awesome to play!
Haha thanks!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My Changes:
:4luigi:- Mr. L is now a costume.
:4falcon:- Captain Falcon now has his helmetless self as his Alt. Costume.
:4ness:- Ness now has his pajamas as his Alt. Costume.
:4jigglypuff:- Jigglypuff's Puff Up has been changed to Moonblast or Hyper Voice (if Sound-Type was a thing in Sun & Moon). her Air Speed was back to Melee's, Rest kills at 50%-60% and she's slightly faster and stronger too. Jigglypuff now has her headband, crown and fairy wings as costumes.
:4peach:- Peach's Peach Bellssom has been changed to either the Emotions from Super Princess Peach or the Peach Beam from Paper Mario and her Victory Theme was changed to the Level Clear theme from Super Princess Peach as well. Peach's fire flower costume now has a ponytail.
:pichumelee: - Pichu's Skull Bash and Quick Attack no longer hurt him due to the fact that these moves are actually Normal-Type moves.
:4lucas:- Lucas now has his masked Man costume.
:4tlink:- Toon Link now has his outset costume.
:rosalina:- Rosalina's Power Star is much powerful. Rosalina's fire flower costume now has a ponytail and purple ear rings as well.
:4palutena:- Palutena now has her X-Ray glasses as her costume
Quick question: What would Wolf's new victory theme be?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wow. This is kind of a long reply to a short comment

Actually them being different from the others does indeed make them unique.
But, it doesn't make it creative and interesting. But, you do admit that in this case, clones and semi-clones are in fact unique characters, yes?

And I don't know what kind of nebulous, ill-defined standards you've set for the normal moves, but that part of the moveset is usually less flashy and "exciting" than the specials, it's deliberately more normal with the focus being function over flash.
What's your point?

Contradictions much?
I fail to understand what I'm contradicting. I never said Takamaru's move set wasn't interesting. I said that Samurai Goroh's move set is not interesting compared to Takamaru's. My point being that Samurai Goroh's move set is different, but in my opinion it's not particularly interesting. I mean of course your move set for Samui Goroh move set works, I just disagree that its good enough to be worth wasting time on.

You're holding Chrom up as some shining exemplar of why your argument is sound
Not really. I'm simply making a point that there are many cases where people claim as long as they cna make a character's move set different that it will be good enough to make the cut. And The Chrom move sets I've seen were not that much more creative than your Samurai Goroh move set.

but you don't realize that Chrom is neither the second Marth nor the second Ike.
I don't believe I said that.

He's the third similarly-dressed, similarly-proportioned, similarly-characterized character who wields a two-handed medieval longsword primarily with one hand. Falchion and Ragnell do have differences to them, but they're also both the same kind of sword, a longsword. Yet Sakurai made two distinct movesets from the same weapon type.
Are you talking about Marth & Ike? If you're wondering why they are so different it's because one sword is smaller and lighter and the other is longer and MUCH heavier. That doesn't seem like a good analogy.

When he discussed why he didn't include Chrom, Sakurai even grouped Marth and Ike together as "plain old sword wielders", comparing Chrom not to either, but to both. Yet he still found two totally unique movesets for them before running into trouble with a third character of the same archetype.
Because unlike how Ike had a much different sword than Marth, Chrom has essentially nothing.

Chrom is not an apt comparison to make.
Marth & Ike is not an apt comparison either.

Ike is the example that fits this situation of two characters wielding the same type of sword
Not even close. The key flaw in your argument is "Same type of sword".

and Ike was made unique. Years before Chrom was even on the scene, Ike was the one facing the "he'd be too similar to Marth/Roy" argument.
Again Ike's sword is longer and heavier.

But why compare two movesets that aren't similar in the first place?
Let's talk about your two move sets. Specifically the non special attacks. So Takamaru's is a bit different from Goroh. For example, his down aerial is not his sword, but his shurikens. But, Takamaru does still uses Smash attacks that are him using his Katana and same goes for Goroh. In those areas you simply change the way they thrust their swords. For example Takamaru might swipe his sword upward and Goroh might it stab it upward, but when you get down to what the shtick is, it's a guy with a katana, you could just as easily make Takamaru the one that stabs and Goroh the one that swipes, you can make Goroh more easy going and Takamaru more fierce and rapid. Their special attacks are definitely creatively different, but when it comes to the parts in which they use their sword for their basic attacks, there is no real creative difference imo.

They use the same weapon but they don't share any of the same attacks. That's like saying Squirtle and Greninja have comparable movesets as they're both water-using amphibious characters.
How is it anything like that. And this is why I bring up Chrom. Because you keep suggesting that as long as they aren't the same attacks, that means they are interesting.

Your point was there couldn't be two different katana movesets that co-exist. I proved there was, so there's no need to still compare them.
I may have stated my argument a little more simply than I should have, but the ultimate point is that different doesn't mean interesting. Goroh himself (while having different moves) doesn't have enough creative non-special attacks compared Takamaru's. I feel like maybe you should have added more moves that use Goroh's body. Kind of like you incorporated moves that used Takmaru's Ninja weapons. Instead Goroh mostly just uses his Katana, but in a slightly different way than Takamaru and maybe wielded more powerfully because of his strength. Again, special attacks aside, their basic attacks are different, but not enough for Goroh's move set to be worth making specifically. IMO.

There's no point in comparing Marth and Ike's movesets specifically because they're very different all things considered.
You didn't seem to have a problem comparing their very different choice of weapon.

First of all, my goal was never to innovate, it was to make a unique Goroh moveset based around the sword.
I just don't think the way you made the majority of their sword skills was unique enough

And no, it's not the most innovative moveset in Smash history (neither is yours)
Well, that's probably because it's based on Captain Falcon's move set

but with the unique rage mechanic, backwards recovery
What are unique about those things? Lucario becomes more powerful the more damage he takes and Zero Suit Samus has a backwards recovery. I think. But, what is the big deal about a backwards recovery?

and reverse grip stance leading to predominantly hilt-based attacks (plus the fact that it's a 95% unique moveset) I think most would agree it suffices for bringing new elements to the table given what Goroh has to work with.
I guess I'll have to be in the minority then.

Preference is one thing but saying there can't be two unique coexisting katana movesets, which is what you were doing
No that's not what I was doing. I was saying it wouldn't be worth it. But, thanks for once again claiming to know what I'm saying better than I do.

Btw, your opinion is hardly indicative of the general consensus.
Should it be?

Most people would take a completely unique character over a semi-clone
So? Is the point of your argument that a character's inclusion and move set are determined by a vote?

which is why in character threads you see the vast majority of potential movesets being made completely, or at least primarily, unique.
I'm guessing that is your point. Can we move on from this? I'm getting kind of bored with this conversation and it's just going in circles. We're both just reiterating the same points.

I like your Samurai Goroh move set. I actually meant to incorporate electricity into some of his attacks in my move set. I just disagree that it's interesting enough and worth making. Especially for a lower priority character. That's pretty much that.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
One more roster. I updated my roster for...

Super Smash Bros.
Please click to zoom in for better picture
100.png

So let's get some things out of the way. One of the main points of the 100 character rosteris to include characters that wouldn't normally be important enough to make it into a more constrained rosters, especially requested ones. (Skull Kid, Sonic Characters, Indies and Third Parties, Other Gen Pokemon) and to basically see which characters woul make it in if there were 100 slots. I'll start by explaining some of my additions.

One of my plans was to give Zelda more characters. I started with the most requested ones and decided to add one from each console iinstallment (post OoT).

I added Geno simply because he's highly requested and Sakurai acknowledged his support. I think this is the perfect Smash game for him to appear in. I also made sure there were 10 Mario characters and 10 Zelda characters. I also made sure Wario & Yoshi get another character.

I added Gengar because just in experience with other Pokemon fans and the amount of merchandise he has, I think he is the most popular Pokemon after the other newcomers.

I wasn't going to add any new Metroid characters, but I thought having other bounty hunters was a really good idea. The reason Trace is there is because I didn't want Sylux to be alone. I admit it's pretty weird having Trace. But, like I said, I wanted more than one Rival Bounty Hunter.

I added Shantae & Shovel Knight because they are highly requested characters, because Nintendo is very promoting of Indie games, and because they have made good deals with Nintendo in the past such as exclusives and amiibo features.

Before you start complaining about clones (in a roster of 100 characters) I find their inclusions very appropriate for that very reason. That it is such a giant roster. Because the point is there is now additional room and so I find the addition of alternate forms of existing characters to be a good inclusion. I limited it to a total of 6.

Also no need to complain about Sonic characters. Sonic characters are highly desired in Smash and their inclusions are appropriate for this type of this roster.

Here are some details of how specific characters function

• Dixie is of course a semi-clone of Diddy. Much in the way Lucas is of Ness. Because she shares three specials and a few normals. A little more than Lucas though.
  • It's worth noting that Tatl and Tael accompany Skull Kid in this game and are incorparated in moves such as his Neutral Aerial and Tilt Attacks. And also his A, AA, and AAA Rapid attack + Finisher.
  • Lyn is, for the most part, the Fire Emblem Awakening version. She uses two swords.
  • Simon Belmont debuts as the first character to have aerial attacks in 8 directions.
  • Olimar and Louie are different. Olimar uses Red, Yellow, and Blue Pikmin, and Louie uses the special Pikmin: White, Purple, and Rock. Creating a more organized separation and in my opinion makes Olimar a better character. Alph & Brittany appear as costumes of the two.
  • In addition, The Koopalings, Impa, Isa Jo, Matthew, Starly, and Ms. Pac-Man also appear as costumes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I added Shantae & Shovel Knight because they are highly requested characters
  • Lyn is, for the most part, the Fire Emblem Awakening version
As someone who would LOVE to see both of them, no they aren't. The popularity these characters had died after a few months
Before you start complaining about clones (in a roster of 100 characters) I find their inclusions very appropriate for that very reason. That it is such a giant roster. Because the point is there is now additional room and so I find the addition of alternate forms of existing characters to be a good inclusion. I limited it to a total of 6.
Bull****. You said this
But, it doesn't make it creative and interesting.
If having 2 completely different katana movesets isn't 'creative and interesting' (which btw is something only YOU are saying), how is 6 versions of the same ****ing character 'creative and interesting'? Even then, what does it matter? It seems like you're acting like people who only judge games based on 'muh innovation', and thus are forgetting that something simple can be refreshing every once in a while. Case and point, Greninja has a simple, non gimmicky moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom