• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you were in charge of roster picking for an upcoming Smash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Uchihadark7 Uchihadark7 : I've got a lot of questions about this roster. (Sorry if this goes a bit long; I just wanted to be thorough, and find out the reasoning behind your choices) Chief among them:

-why cut Lucina but keep Dark Pit? They're in the exact same situation.

-why cut two completely unique Fire Emblem characters? Especially since you're giving one of their movesets to a character who only vaguely fights like them.

-why did you replace Toon Link with Young Link? They're practically the same character, but Toon Link stands out far more in terms of appearance.

-why would you cut several entire franchises? I get that Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion is controversial, but Olimar is from a popular franchise that works within the context of a fighting game, and most people don't have a problem with his inclusion.

-the Pokemon cuts. I get Pichu and Ivysaur (who isn't as noteworthy as the trainer's other two Pokemon, and I'm saying that as someone whose go-to gen 1 starter is Bulbasaur), but why cut Charizard for Squirtle, and why cut Lucario, who's been consistently popular and noteworthy for three generations now?

-Chunky Kong seems like a random choice, seeing as at the very least, there are two other Kongs more noteworthy than him (Dixie and Cranky), and cases for Tiny and Lanky could be made too.

-no new Metroid characters - seems weird that the series is still entirely represented by Samus

-why would Palutena need to be revamped when (by all indications) Dark Pit would be staying the same (that is to say, almost exactly identical to Pit)?

-you might have just forgot to mention this, but why isn't Ganondorf being revamped, especially when Blood Falcon (who would be a Falcon clone, in all likelihood) and Black Shadow are being added?

-why does Capcom get four characters when every other company only gets one, two tops? I get that it's if you were in charge of the roster, but some balance couldn't hurt.

-removing the ballot winner, Bayonetta, which seems like it would make all of that voting pretty much pointless.

Last edited:

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Uchihadark7 Uchihadark7 : I've got a lot of questions about this roster. (Sorry if this goes a bit long; I just wanted to be thorough, and find out the reasoning behind your choices) Chief among them:

-why cut Lucina but keep Dark Pit? They're in the exact same situation.

-why cut two completely unique Fire Emblem characters? Especially since you're giving one of their movesets to a character who only vaguely fights like them.

-why did you replace Toon Link with Young Link? They're practically the same character, but Toon Link stands out far more in terms of appearance.

-why would you cut several entire franchises? I get that Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion is controversial, but Olimar is from a popular franchise that works within the context of a fighting game, and most people don't have a problem with his inclusion.

-the Pokemon cuts. I get Pichu and Ivysaur (who isn't as noteworthy as the trainer's other two Pokemon, and I'm saying that as someone whose go-to gen 1 starter is Bulbasaur), but why cut Charizard for Squirtle, and why cut Lucario, who's been consistently popular and noteworthy for three generations now?

-Chunky Kong seems like a random choice, seeing as at the very least, there are two other Kongs more noteworthy than him (Dixie and Cranky), and cases for Tiny and Lanky could be made too.

-no new Metroid characters - seems weird that the series is still entirely represented by Samus

-why would Palutena need to be revamped when (by all indications) Dark Pit would be staying the same (that is to say, almost exactly identical to Pit)?

-you might have just forgot to mention this, but why isn't Ganondorf being revamped, especially when Blood Falcon (who would be a Falcon clone, in all likelihood) and Black Shadow are being added?

-why does Capcom get four characters when every other company only gets one, two tops? I get that it's if you were in charge of the roster, but some balance couldn't hurt.

-removing the ballot winner, Bayonetta, which seems like it would make all of that voting pretty much pointless.
Just preference.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
For the Veterans of the past Smash Bros games

From Smash 64 : All of them

From Melee: All of them except Pichu and Roy. Few characters will be an alt costumes.
:younglinkmelee: -> :toonlink:
:drmario: -> :mariomelee:

From Brawl: All of them

From Smash 4: All of them except Dark Pit and Wii Fit Trainer.
:4lucina: will be an alt costume of :4marth: while :4alph: will be an alt costume of :4olimar:

If I want newcomers for the next Smash Bros game, then I would pick the characters that I think would make sense

Mario: Waluigi
Yoshi: Kamek
Wario: Ashley and Shake King
Donkey Kong: King K Rool, Dixie Kong, and Lord Fredrik
Legend of Zelda: Zant, Vaati, and Ghirahim
Pokemon: Machamp, Hawlucha, Sceptile, and Infernape
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee, and Daroach
Metroid: Ridley, Rundas, and Adam Malkovich
Mother: Ninten and Kumatora
Star Fox: Krystal and General Scale
Kid Icarus: Viridi and Medusa
F-Zero: Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh, and Deathborn
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Other Nintendo Series: Inklings (Splatoon), Banjo Kazooie, Elma (Xenoblade X), and Mach Rider
Non Nintendo Series: Rayman, Bomberman, Ratchet and Clank, Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden), Simon Belmont (Castlevania), Crash (Crash Bandicoot), Knuckles (Sonic), Zero (Megaman X), Sora (Kingdom Hearts) and Kazuya (Tekken)

All of my suggestions for the newcomers would of been impossible by video games standards, but it would be interesting to see if the NX can handle all of these characters that I suggested in the next Smash Bros game.

By the way I don't know how to make my own roster. Perhaps I'm lazy of doing it but whatever.
I wouldn't call Banjo Kazooie a Nintendo series any more since Rare now belongs to Microsoft these days. But nonetheless, they would be a great inclusion to the game.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well here's my realistic roster for the next Smash Bros,

I decided not to add anymore third-party characters, as I feel that we've gotten enough, besides, it's called "Nintendo All-Stars" for a reason. :p

Anyways, I've only cut two characters, and these characters were definitely the most controversial. :4darkpit:and:4lucina:don't have their own slots anymore... However you can select them as alts for :4pit:and:4marth:respectively.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Ooooh I like this place.
Well here's my realistic roster for the next Smash Bros,

I decided not to add anymore third-party characters, as I feel that we've gotten enough, besides, it's called "Nintendo All-Stars" for a reason. :p

Anyways, I've only cut two characters, and these characters were definitely the most controversial. :4darkpit:and:4lucina:don't have their own slots anymore... However you can select them as alts for :4pit:and:4marth:respectively.
Eh. I still don't get why Doc should stay while Pitto or Lucina shouldn't. Just because it's a melee vet I assume smh..

Roster score same as I told ya last time.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ooooh I like this place.

Eh. I still don't get why Doc should stay while Pitto or Lucina shouldn't. Just because it's a melee vet I assume smh..

Roster score same as I told ya last time.
It's because of him being a Melee vet that he has the strongest following, and therefore stays. (Ironic considering he's literally Mario in a doctor's outfit)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Not really.

I'm sorry, forgive me guys, I had to do this even though I know this is about individual wishlists

- Cutting Bayo (I agree on this one though for now), Wii Fit Trainer, and Olimar takes away a few series. Yes they're probably wtf choices to you, but they do deserve it (Minus Bayo for me as I really think it's too soon to put her in Smash. No, not salty. Just honest opinion here)

- Cutting three Fire Emblem characters with two original and fresh movesets? Lolwut?

- Adding General Scales, Ninten, FD Link, Meowth, Blood Falcon, Piston Honda (interesting choice though), Akuma, Chunky Kong, and Waluigi? Uh...most likely not happening or being AT

- Why Young Link over Toon Link? That's kinda weird as the Cell-Shaded stores of Zelda is pretty popular with Wind Waker and beyond. Hell, this helps open the door for people like Tetra, Vaati, etc

- Squirtle making it back? Okay that's good as I like him. Charizard and Lucario getting cut? Boy, Not. Even. Okay. With. Me.

- I don't see what's wrong with Rosalina and Palutena's movesets. They're perfectly fine just how they are as Rosalina is somewhat an defensive type while Palutena seems to have some mixture of defense and ranged moves. Plus, Rosalina's character has a backstory with the Lumas so it kinda makes sense to include them anyway as many of them look at her like mom (I guess similar to how the Mushroom Kingdom Toads fight to protect Peach)

It's because of him being a Melee vet that he has the strongest following, and therefore stays. (Ironic considering he's literally Mario in a doctor's outfit)
That's the irony of this: Doc is just another form of Mario in a lab coat while Lucina and Dark Pit are their own characters. If it was me, I'd cut Doc because I have an issue with a character getting two forms that aren't alternatives

Okay, I may be a little farstretch here. Since Brawl had 39 characters counting the alternatives and a huge jump to 58 in this Smash, how do you guys feel about pushing it to 80-ish? If so, this could make a decent roster

Lucina and Dark Pit to get moves that are different than their clones

Ganondorf FINALLY breaks out of the clone moveset and adopts a sword into some of his moves

Newcomers:
Toad
2nd Mario Rep/New IP
Dixie Kong
Impa
Midna
Chibi-Robo
Alph (breaking out of the clone slot, semi-clone of Olimar with different Pikmins)
Takamaru
Bandanna Dee (because spears to stop the ******** about the sword characters)
New IP/Elma from Xenoblade
Chorus Men
Mach Rider
New Pokemon 7th/8th Gen
Dillon
Prince Sable (BluePikmin made me think he would be an excellent character for this game)
New Fire Emblem character (just to troll the fans)
Isabelle
Inklings (boy/girl option just like Robin, Villager, WFT, and Corrin)

Cuts: Cloud, Bayonetta, Doctor Mario

Reasons: Cloud - It's a 50/50 for me honestly. He's a huge WTF character for me and I'm happy for the fans (okay I only like the idea of him being in because of the soundtrack, which was heavily ****ed over other than the battle/boss themes.

Bayo - Personal bias. I do feel the ballot was rigged and I let go of that, She's popular and somewhat iconic, but I felt that she didn't deserve to be in and the only way was the ballot. Unless something happens between the two parties between now and 5mash or her character not showing up in new games, I don't see a reason to keep her

Doctor Mario - Personal bias. What's the point of having Mario and Doctor Mario if they're the same ****ing character?!?

Returning: Ice Climbers

DLC

Returning: Mewtwo, Roy, Corrin, Ryu, Cloud/Bayo?

Newcomer Veterans: Wolf

Newcomers: Ridley, King K Rool, Isaac, Ray MK, Medusa, Sceptile, ?

Newcomer 3rd Parties: Knuckles, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie, ?

The ? between Ryu and Ridley can go either way. It can bring back a former Smash veteran (Snake, Squirtle, Cloud, etc) or include a brand new fighter. I'm placing that there because I'm not sure how that will work out, so feel free to throw in what you think would be interesting just to stir the pot a little :p

Some of you might be wondering why popular characters like Ridley, K Rool, Isaac, etc are on the DLC list and not the main roster. Here's why: MONEY!!!

Yes, I'm sounding funny here, but since it looks like DLC has been successful with this Smash, I can see some good characters hitting the DLC spot to help make our wallets cry. Yes, I'm pulling a page out of Sakurai's book of trolling. Then again, it kinda makes sense since veterans who were cut (Roy, Lucas, Mewtwo) got in through DLC and people would buy them, it gives Nintendo, Smash, and Sakurai mad milk money for the cows to feed.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman

I'm sorry, forgive me guys, I had to do this even though I know this is about individual wishlists

- Cutting Bayo (I agree on this one though for now), Wii Fit Trainer, and Olimar takes away a few series. Yes they're probably wtf choices to you, but they do deserve it (Minus Bayo for me as I really think it's too soon to put her in Smash. No, not salty. Just honest opinion here)

- Cutting three Fire Emblem characters with two original and fresh movesets? Lolwut?

- Adding General Scales, Ninten, FD Link, Meowth, Blood Falcon, Piston Honda (interesting choice though), Akuma, Chunky Kong, and Waluigi? Uh...most likely not happening or being AT

- Why Young Link over Toon Link? That's kinda weird as the Cell-Shaded stores of Zelda is pretty popular with Wind Waker and beyond. Hell, this helps open the door for people like Tetra, Vaati, etc

- Squirtle making it back? Okay that's good as I like him. Charizard and Lucario getting cut? Boy, Not. Even. Okay. With. Me.

- I don't see what's wrong with Rosalina and Palutena's movesets. They're perfectly fine just how they are as Rosalina is somewhat an defensive type while Palutena seems to have some mixture of defense and ranged moves. Plus, Rosalina's character has a backstory with the Lumas so it kinda makes sense to include them anyway as many of them look at her like mom (I guess similar to how the Mushroom Kingdom Toads fight to protect Peach)

That's the irony of this: Doc is just another form of Mario in a lab coat while Lucina and Dark Pit are their own characters. If it was me, I'd cut Doc because I have an issue with a character getting two forms that aren't alternatives

Okay, I may be a little farstretch here. Since Brawl had 39 characters counting the alternatives and a huge jump to 58 in this Smash, how do you guys feel about pushing it to 80-ish? If so, this could make a decent roster

Lucina and Dark Pit to get moves that are different than their clones

Ganondorf FINALLY breaks out of the clone moveset and adopts a sword into some of his moves

Newcomers:
Toad
2nd Mario Rep/New IP
Dixie Kong
Impa
Midna
Chibi-Robo
Alph (breaking out of the clone slot, semi-clone of Olimar with different Pikmins)
Takamaru
Bandanna Dee (because spears to stop the ******** about the sword characters)
New IP/Elma from Xenoblade
Chorus Men
Mach Rider
New Pokemon 7th/8th Gen
Dillon
Prince Sable (BluePikmin made me think he would be an excellent character for this game)
New Fire Emblem character (just to troll the fans)
Isabelle
Inklings (boy/girl option just like Robin, Villager, WFT, and Corrin)

Cuts: Cloud, Bayonetta, Doctor Mario

Reasons: Cloud - It's a 50/50 for me honestly. He's a huge WTF character for me and I'm happy for the fans (okay I only like the idea of him being in because of the soundtrack, which was heavily ****ed over other than the battle/boss themes.

Bayo - Personal bias. I do feel the ballot was rigged and I let go of that, She's popular and somewhat iconic, but I felt that she didn't deserve to be in and the only way was the ballot. Unless something happens between the two parties between now and 5mash or her character not showing up in new games, I don't see a reason to keep her

Doctor Mario - Personal bias. What's the point of having Mario and Doctor Mario if they're the same ****ing character?!?

Returning: Ice Climbers

DLC

Returning: Mewtwo, Roy, Corrin, Ryu, Cloud/Bayo?

Newcomer Veterans: Wolf

Newcomers: Ridley, King K Rool, Isaac, Ray MK, Medusa, Sceptile, ?

Newcomer 3rd Parties: Knuckles, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie, ?

The ? between Ryu and Ridley can go either way. It can bring back a former Smash veteran (Snake, Squirtle, Cloud, etc) or include a brand new fighter. I'm placing that there because I'm not sure how that will work out, so feel free to throw in what you think would be interesting just to stir the pot a little :p

Some of you might be wondering why popular characters like Ridley, K Rool, Isaac, etc are on the DLC list and not the main roster. Here's why: MONEY!!!

Yes, I'm sounding funny here, but since it looks like DLC has been successful with this Smash, I can see some good characters hitting the DLC spot to help make our wallets cry. Yes, I'm pulling a page out of Sakurai's book of trolling. Then again, it kinda makes sense since veterans who were cut (Roy, Lucas, Mewtwo) got in through DLC and people would buy them, it gives Nintendo, Smash, and Sakurai mad milk money for the cows to feed.
Notice the title of the thread. I'm not trying to predict the next roster or please all the Nintendo fanboys. This is the roster I would make if I were in charge. I cut characters that I simply don't like or don't want. I don't like (90% of) Pokemon and I don't think Fire Emblem needs more representatives than Zelda. That's why I gave FD Link Ike's move set. I wanted to put it to better representation.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Opinions are things and yours are all awful.

Mine are clearly superior. :troll:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
And this is why I think sometimes it's best to let go and neglect some fans. More fans can always be created than lost by adding the right characters.

Most people like to play as more than 1 character anyway.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I think Dr.Mario has two things going for him compared to Lucina and Dark Pit.
1. He's the only puzzle game representative in the entire roster.
2. His moveset is ironically more different from Mario's than Lucina's is from Marth and way more than Dark Pit's from Pit's.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
And this is why I think sometimes it's best to let go and neglect some fans. More fans can always be created than lost by adding the right characters.

Doc is also not a direct clone of Mario. He has Melee Mario's moves, but since Brawl, Mario has had different moves to his Melee incarnation. Doc is just a way to give both Mario playstyles in one game. He's suitably different enough from Mario that his inclusion isn't so annoying.

Dark Pit and Lucina are literally cosmetic alterations to Pit and Marth with some minor stat tweaks like they were thrown together in the game's own custom moveset creator. They have no reason to exist because they aren't fufilling anything noticable like Doc is; they're throwaway characters made to blow up the roster artificially.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592
You. Me. Zelda. Perfect Harmony! Exact choices as mine will have. :p
Too many new franchises added imo. A few is fine but that's too much for my liking. Most are very good choices btw but still a bit too much, especially for the characters that are on the obscure/dead side.
Mach Rider over Excite biker is a plus.
Like othet choices like Medusa, Bandana ect.

Imo Cloud is indeed the most likley to be cut but I don't see any reasons to do so right now.
Bayo BS is Bayo BS. Cutting a ballot winner would make it seem not worth voting ever again if there is to be another ballot. Just something to think about.

I don't like the idea of multiple characters in 1 3rd party franchise because it's better to have more franchises instead. Also, MS 1st party. My opinion on this will not change. BK &Knuckle are a minus to me. Finally, too many question marks.

6/10.

I think Dr.Mario has two things going for him compared to Lucina and Dark Pit.
1. He's the only puzzle game representative in the entire roster.
2. His moveset is ironically more different from Mario's than Lucina's is from Marth and way more than Dark Pit's from Pit's.
To counter 2: Lucina and especially Pittoo have more moveset potential. If they return they can be semi-cloned better. I can see Lucina being more different to Marth than Roy is in the next game..

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
White, this isn't a rate your roster/10 thread :p

To be fair, those ? are used for future characters who will make their videogame debuts between now and 5mash. Those marks would make sense for some of them as it makes sense with a new Pokemon/Fire Emblem characters for example. I see no reason how it's too many ? as we don't know what the roster would look like between now and then. After all, we didn't expect some like WFT now, did we?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Notice the title of the thread. I'm not trying to predict the next roster or please all the Nintendo fanboys. This is the roster I would make if I were in charge. I cut characters that I simply don't like or don't want. I don't like (90% of) Pokemon and I don't think Fire Emblem needs more representatives than Zelda. That's why I gave FD Link Ike's move set. I wanted to put it to better representation.
That's a better response, at least. If that's the case, then one suggestion I could make would be to keep Ike and add a different Zelda character instead of Fierce Deity Link. (seems a bit redundant to have three different versions of the same character in the roster) Skull Kid could work if you're wanting to represent Majora's Mask - FD Link would probably work better as Young Link's Final Smash anyway.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Thing is is that he's appeared in multiple installments, so to see a character that's appeared in multiple games be suddenly cut would be kinda jarring. Like Ice Climbers.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Thing is is that he's appeared in multiple installments, so to see a character that's appeared in multiple games be suddenly cut would be kinda jarring. Like Ice Climbers.
The difference is that Ice Climbers are fully unique characters while Dr.Mario is a Mario variant ( More similar to Luigi though ). Cutting characters like :4mewtwo:and:popo: was way worse than cutting ones like :4feroy:and:4drmario: because you can't just switch to a different variant, the whole moveset is gone completely.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
White, this isn't a rate your roster/10 thread :p

To be fair, those ? are used for future characters who will make their videogame debuts between now and 5mash. Those marks would make sense for some of them as it makes sense with a new Pokemon/Fire Emblem characters for example. I see no reason how it's too many ? as we don't know what the roster would look like between now and then. After all, we didn't expect some like WFT now, did we?
But this is supposed to be what you want not what you expect, do you really want a bunch of characters that you don't know of and don't exist yet?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Seems like a good roster - that Starman is from Pro Wrestling, right?

I don't like that you removed one of the original twelve, but Meowth seems like a decent replacement. You added a decent amount of new series, spread out additions between the returning ones pretty evenly, and brought back some of the major cuts (Ice Climbers' absence is noticeable, but definitely a fan of the fact that you brought back Snake!).

The only cuts that I noticed in there are the clone trio and Jigglypuff; seeing as I'm not a huge fan of rosters that cut a massive amount of characters or entire series, I'm okay with that for the most part. I don't like cutting characters myself, but I can see why you would remove them.

The only choice that I find odd is Lip; I don't really see how she would work as a fighting game character. Still, it's a really good roster in my opinion.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The difference is that Ice Climbers are fully unique characters while Dr.Mario is a Mario variant ( More similar to Luigi though ). Cutting characters like :4mewtwo:and:popo: was way worse than cutting ones like :4feroy:and:4drmario: because you can't just switch to a different variant, the whole moveset is gone completely.
True... But I just can't see a character getting cut twice...
If you ask me I'd make Dr. Mario into a Project M-styled alt.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
But this is supposed to be what you want not what you expect, do you really want a bunch of characters that you don't know of and don't exist yet?
What if I say this is what I want, even though I'm being realistic at the same time? Sure, some characters on this roster kinda have little to no chance depends on their popularity and whoever is in charge of the next Smash

They do it every game, so yes. Melee introduced Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers, and Game&Watch series, Brawl introduced Sonic, Metal Gear, and Pikmin, and Sm4sh introduced Wii Fit, various 3rd parties, and Xenoblade. Of those, some of these would work for future IPs becuase there's something new that happens between now and 5mash. I don't see what's the issue about my roster when I'm just trying to be a little realistic. Unless you want a biased roster, I'd post it later

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
True... But I just can't see a character getting cut twice...
If you ask me I'd make Dr. Mario into a Project M-styled alt.
There's a lot that can happen. He might be cut due to time constraints. ...or he would be planned as an alt possibly with the other 2 last minute additions (or 1!) and there would be enough time to once again make them into full characters.

In a perfect world there wouldn't be any cuts.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I made Dr. Mario an alt after thinking it over...

Trust me it wasn't an easy decision but I thought that more unique characters could be focused on, so look forward to the final version of my roster coming soon! :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is there like a website or something where you make those rosters?
There's a roster maker you can download.

It used to be at the Smash 4 section.

Dunno if it's still there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Does anybody have any suggestions for changes that could be made to my current roster? I'll put the reasoning behind my decisions in spoiler tags.

This is my completely ideal roster:

VETERANS
No cuts - even if I don't play as a character, or I'm not a fan of their inclusion, I know how annoying it is to have a character that you like cut from the game, seeing as it's happened to me twice so far.

Dark Pit, Lucina, and Ganondorf would be tweaked slightly (Lucina and Dark Pit would have slightly different A moves, while Ganondorf's B and B-down would change to better reflect how he fights in the Zelda games)

RETURNING VETERANS:

Bring back the Brawl veterans
- all of the characters who were cut from Brawl were pretty unique; I'm aware that technical issues kept Ice Climbers out (though I don't see why they couldn't be changed to work on the 3DS), as well as Squirtle and Ivysaur (I could understand that, if they only had to pick one of the Trainer's Pokemon to prevent overcrowding, it would be Charizard), but I can't see the same issues happening in a future Smash Bros. game.

NEWCOMERS
Captain Toad - Toad seems like one of the few Nintendo all-stars missing from Smash, and Captain Toad seems like he'd have a more coherent moveset as opposed to randomly grabbing a bunch of concepts from Mario spin-offs and New Super Mario Bros.

Dixie Kong - her being playable in Tropical Freeze, coupled with her having almost as much screentime as Diddy (in the original Donkey Kong Country games, she was playable more often than Donkey Kong was!) makes this seem like a no-brainer

King K. Rool - not sure I even need to say anything by now - he's a popular character worldwide and a villain (something that's severely lacking in Smash) from a major franchise that has been ignored in the latest Smash game

Ridley - I'm sure I'll get a bunch of comments saying that he's too big (if people even bother to read this), but he's easily the most prominent and important character in the Metroid games outside of Samus herself. People have been wanting to see him playable in Smash Bros. for about fifteen years now, and the fact that Sakurai has more or less ignored this is bizarre. Plus, it's not as though characters can be sized down - Palutena went from twice as tall as Pit to shorter than him between KI and Smash. Using the Super Metroid design, where his wings and tail are significantly smaller, would definitely help with this.

Midna - Twilight Princess seems to be pretty popular, seeing as it's been on three consecutive home consoles, and Midna's popularity has held up as well - she's the only "helper" character that I've seen who is actually well-remembered as opposed to being met with disdain, and she was the only character outside of the Triforce trio to get more than one playable form in Hyrule Warriors, which seems pretty noteworthy.

Bandanna Waddle Dee - this character seems to have become pretty important in recent years, even being playable in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse when Dedede and Meta Knight aren't. The moveset basically writes itself based on Return to Dreamland alone, and Kirby seems to be a franchise that's noteworthy enough to have four characters in Smash.

Grovyle - in part, he's a placeholder for a seventh generation Pokemon, but Grovyle could work well for Smash - not only does he stand for the third generation (which was more or less skipped over as far as Smash is concerned), but he also represents the Mystery Dungeon spin-offs, which is an aspect of Pokemon that Smash hasn't explored yet. However, until recently, I hadn't been into Pokemon for over a decade, so I'll admit that there might be better choices.

Krystal - it would be nice to have a Star Fox character who doesn't have the Blaster-Dash Attack-Fire Fox-Reflector moveset, and while she's a divisive character, I think she'd be an interesting addition to the Star Fox cast in Smash, and probably the most original choice as far as major characters go.

Elma - while I haven't gotten very far into Xenoblade Chronicles X, she seems to stand out far more than Cross, who seems like more of a blank slate. It sounds like the storyline of Xenoblade Chronicles X will continue into future games, so adding her makes a lot of sense.

Sukapon - Joy Mech Fight was Nintendo's first (and, to my knowledge, only) attempt at a traditional fighting game. Given that Smash Bros. celebrates Nintendo's history, he seems like a fitting addition.

Takamaru - he seems to be popular enough, seeing as the latest Smash game had him in about every role that was possible aside from a playable character; between Nintendo Land, Smash, and the release of his game on the 3DS, it seems like enough people know about him and Nintendo still considers him somewhat important.

Mike Jones
- while Star Tropics was an NES-only series, it was popular enough to get a sequel long after the Super Nintendo had released, and Mike seems like he'd be a fun character to play as. Plus, it was weird that Star Tropics wasn't acknowledged in any way so far, not even as a sticker in Brawl.

Isaac - Golden Sun's treatment in this game was odd, seeing as the assist trophy was removed and all it got in return was one extra song. While I'm not very far into the game, it's clear that Isaac has a ton to work with based on his earth-based spells alone, and he'd make an excellent addition to the roster.

Ray 01 - Custom Robo has been around for a while, but in Smash, it's been ignored to a greater extent than Golden Sun, with no characters, music, or even trophies in Smash 4. Ray would make for an interesting tactical character along the lines of Snake, though the version of Ray doesn't matter; it's just that Ray 01 is the version from the only game that I'm familiar with.

Isa Jo
- Sin & Punishment got a new lease on life through the Virtual Console, one that Nintendo is still taking advantage of to this day with releases of both games on the Wii U. I could have gone with Saki or Isa, but I think Isa would be more interesting to play as.

Inkling
- a no-brainer - I'd honestly be surprised if they weren't in the next Smash game.

Wonder Red
- while not the best-selling title for the Wii U, it's an extremely well-made one, and Nintendo seems to be quite close to Platinum Games given this, Bayonetta 2's exclusivity, and Star Fox Zero. Plus, much like Bayonetta, a lot of what Wonder Red can do in-game seems like it would be really easy to translate into Smash Bros.

Rayman
- I still find it weird that they got permission to use Rayman, but only made him into a trophy. Ubisoft's a pretty major company, and he seems like the best choice for a character to represent it.

Slime
- Dragon Quest is the grandfather of all RPGs, and Enix's main series. If Square-Enix got a second character, Slime seems like the most fitting choice.

This would be my roster if I was limited to seventy characters.

My explanation for any cuts from the above roster:

Doctor Mario, Roy, Dark Pit - in my opinion, these veterans are the most expendable. While I had a choice between Roy and Lucina, Fire Emblem Awakening literally saved the series from cancellation, so it made sense for it to have more characters than the other Fire Emblem games. Meanwhile, Roy is only really well known for his appearance in Smash, with him being seen as not a very interesting character in the Fire Emblem games themselves (at least, by my understanding). Not a huge fan of making cuts, but it's either that or I barely have any new characters added to the roster.

Squirtle, Ivysaur - I know that some people would find the amount of Pokemon I have originally to be kind of ridiculous; besides, this makes it so the Pokemon cast isn't largely focused on generation 1.

Grovyle - he was a placeholder anyway, and the current roster of Pokemon seems good in terms of covering a wide variety of creatures.

Isa Jo, Ray 01 - as much as it pains me to say it, neither one is from a particularly major series, and their series are at a weird place where they're not old enough to be retro, but not new enough to have a lot of interest in getting one of their characters into Smash.

Mike Jones - his series was only released in North America as far as I know (might have gotten a Europe release, but I'm not sure about that), and I don't know how important it is historically compared to Joy Mech Fight, or the other retro series.

Slime - Square-Enix seemed kind of stingy with Cloud, what with him only having two music tracks and one language for his voice-overs, and while Slime is iconic, I don't know if there's much to work with there. Plus, while Dragon Quest is extremely popular in Japan, it never seemed to catch on in North America.

Though, ideally, I'd prefer it if nobody from my first list was cut.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
This is my take on a dream roster: Click here to take a look at a more realistic version.

Ganondorf is now 1/3 Falcondorf, 1/3 magic & 1/3 sword- based.
No cuts because this dream roster has no limit.
The Pokemon symbol is for a character that doesn't exist yet. I don't want any more from the current gens but I still would like one more Pokemon. I hope there will be a extremely popular ghost or if not a grass type. Maybe even a ghost + grass type if that's even a thing.

Comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Custom Roster 1, Smash 5.png

I create this roster some weeks ago... with the news about Bayonetta, etc. I need to change it (also change the overall appearance to put place for a Random Button xD)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: Completely wrong thread

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace

He is the Ivan, the protagonist of the "Devil's Third". Except guns, also has a sword. I think would be great if this guy struggled with Solid Snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom