• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could change a Final Smash...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I realise that this is probably well-tread ground, but something that annoys me about Smash 4 is that not all characters seem to have equal 'nostalgia' weight.

Mega Man's entire moveset is practically one big celebration of his series, and, while it's understandable that not every character has as many viable 'moves' to draw on, the one place that I do expect to see ubiquitous, over-the-top references is in the Final Smashes.

Again, Mega Man has a big 'isn't Mega Man great?!' moment for his FS - Samus has 'miscellaneous laser'; Marth has a critical hit that references his games - Link has 'sword combo'. These moves are satisfying in their own right, of course, but these are characters with a rich backlog of upgrades, references and storylines to draw on, which I feel could really be showcased in Final Smashes.

A couple I'd like to see:

:4samus: Bigu Blastu Laseru Beam Combo

Samus has a million and one upgrades that go unreferenced in Smash. If we were going to implement them all, her character would have to be changed completely to something like the Mii Gunner, but I feel that they could at least be showcased in her FS.

She should fire a fast, short-range Ice Beam, which freezes opponents in place for a barrage of colourful Wave and Plasma beam shots. The move would end up doing ice, electric and fire damage, and could end with a Phazon beam that does dark damage. This would be a nice reference to Samus's elemental arsenal.

If we want to go all out with the references, the Metroid 'item acquired' theme could play as the move starts up.

:4tlink: Miscellaneous sword combo that was boring enough the first time Hero of Winds

This one is pretty simple. Link should pull out the Wind Waker and go to town. It would either be like a larger AoE Gust Bellows, or a hurricane centred around Link that pulls opponents up, like Entei's attack.

TL would definitely look perfectly content as the played the Ballad of Gales.

:4mario: Mega Mushroom
:4bowser: Koopa Armada
:4dk: Barrel Run
:4wario2: Gold Horde / bring back the damn shoulder charge (I realise Wario Man is a reference - it just seems underpowered)
:4falco: I Prefer the Arwing
:4ness: PSI Rockin

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
This really should be Captain Falcon's final smash.

I'd also change the name of "Final Smash" to the obvious "Super Smash."

D

Deleted member

Honestly the only final smashes i'm not pleased with are final smashes that clones own, or final smashes I didn't like in Brawl and were re-used.

I think it would have been pretty cool if Falco would get into an Arwing instead of a Landmaster and swoop through the stage back and forth a few times, a bit like the Latios and Latias assist trophy.

EDIT: I'm hoping they have something special in store for Lucas.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'd fix the clones too. Toon Link needs a Wind-Wkaer based Smash, sort of like he generates a tornado and controls it around the stage. Falco prefers the sir, so get him an Arwing, and Pittoo needs to give Zelda her arrows back. I'd also like a more ninja-esque Smash for Sheik.

As for the unique ones, I hate how Link's is terrible now. He traps one enemy, which now isn't even a OHKO, and it can miss. Whereas Marth can take out anyone stage wide. I might be biased since Link's my main, but I feel like his Smash is the worst since he is the only character who can really only hit one other character.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I love Link but his final smash needed an upgrade/change. I know that they're mainly using TP Link but imagine how awesome It would be if his final smash was similar to Brawl Ness's, except he would play the song of storms.

Jigglypuff: I don't really expect them to give him a extremely powerful OHKO final smash anytime soon BUT! It would be a bit nice If his final smash would make everyone Instantly fall asleep stage-wide.

The Toon Link Smash mentioned in the OP is awesome as well.

I guess ZSS's final is way better than her old one...

Shiek's final could be based off her (Don't attack me I know that Hyrule Warriors is in no way canon but so is Smash) harp attacks in Hyrule Warriors) basically a wide ranged circle that, once someone is caught in, delivers 4 hits, each dealing 10% with the last one dealing 15% and blasting the characters away, It could even play a different song everytime!

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Rather than changing Final Smashes themselves... you know what'd be awesome? Directional Final Smashes.

Like, you break a Smash Ball, and you have acces to Up, Down, Forward and Neutral Final Smashes.

I'd love that.

Also, this is only sort-of related, but ever since Brawl I've wanted a way to use Final Smashes without the Smash Balls as a more integrated part of character's moves. I love Final Smashes, but I really don't like the idea of Smash Balls.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
If they had used all of the Hyrule Warriors elements to make Smash, I think EVERY Zelda fan would be perfectly happy. WHY can we not get that Ganondorf at least?
I definitely wouldn't. I'm a huge Zelda fan and I think that Hyrule Warriors has absolutely no place in Smash. I'd much rather get content from the main games rather than a spin-off.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd put Lucina in Robin's Final Smash while Chrom awakens his blade. :p

Sighs indefinitely.

For a less Chromplicated answer, I'd give Falco his damn Arwing. :laugh:

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883
Mario: Like above, Mega Mushroom. Growing huge like Giga Bowser.

Bowser: Same, but instead Kamek uses magic to turn him into Giga Bowser like in NSMB.

Kirby: His Brawl final smash, it may have sucked but it's way better than his current one.

Peach: Uses the vibes from Super Princess Peach, maybe primarily Anger?

Duck Hunt: You get to use the right stick as a gun like ZSS's FS, as if it's really Duck Hunt, but you only get three shots and each one is about as strong as the Dragoon maybe?

I don't care for half of the final smashes as they are, because a lot of them are the same generic "use it close to them, slash them a bunch, then charge a final hit".

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Kirby could use the Ultranova Ability!

And Yoshi could have the Mega Eggdozer from New Island (it's an awful game from what I heard, but the ability is nice):

Lucina should have the Awakening version of Critical Hit.
Bowser should use his Airship:

Falco should have the Airwing, since he prefers the air.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The hitboxes on:4pacman:'s FS are more broken than Meta Knight's sword. At least make them match the animation a little bit.
At least it's an interesting concept.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I personally believe that Lucario's final smash is the worst in the game now. I get that it reflects his new mega evolution which he just received in the most recent generation of pokémon, but you are lucky if you get even 1 KO with it. It is way too easy for other people to just avoid you and your small hitboxes, which are not enhanced at all despite force palm and aura sphere, and aura sphere isn't really practical to use here since you lose a lot of time while mega evolved charging it. I realize that this smash is actually canonical, as opposed to aura storm from brawl (even though that was my favorite final smash in the game), I would much prefer aura storm. However, if that is not an option, at least give lucario a bone to hold so that your hitboxes are like twice as large, and have less end lag like Wario Man, or maybe give him unlimited fully charged aura spheres to throw. If mega charizard can throw out unlimited fire blasts, this isn't an unrealistic ability. Also an increase in speed would be nice, just some way that you can expect to get at least 1 KO with it, like all other transformation final smashes.

D

Deleted member

I love topics like these.

:4jigglypuff:
Jigglypuff starts singing with a microphone on stage, everyone within a certain radius gets put to sleep, when she's done she gets pissed off at everyone and writes on their faces and this writing gives a much more lethal version of the flower effect.

:4falcon:
To add onto the Captain Falcon suggestion earlier (I've thought about this strongly already) have him do that amazing Falcon punch from the anime, but definitely keep the Blue Falcon and him coming out of it for style points. It could even be used as the way it is now but while he's driving it, he comes out with full velocity with a Super FALCON PAWNCH!!

:4ganondorf:
Unfortunately we're stuck with Twilight Princess Ganondorf, but if we had OoTdorf I would have loved if they gave us Ganon's final transformation in Ocarina of Time.

:4mewtwo:
Replacing that hideous Mega form with either of these options.

1. Mewtwo uses Psychic on the entirety of the stage (including off-stage), which slows down opponents similar to the Timer item, then Mewtwo gains Lucario's Final Smash from Brawl but with a much bigger radius and with this setup, it's now easier to hit someone with it. 1 second before the final blast hits for knock-back, Psychic fades away.

2. Psystrike

3. Have a cutscene where Mew and Mewtwo are fighting, then the unsuspecting player gets thrown into the middle of Mew and Mewtwo's final blast and gets turned to stone for 7 seconds, during this stoned state the person gets more knock back than usual and your smash attack can kill early.

:4wario2:
In Wario Land 4 there is a moment at the end of a stage where the background gets distorted and you have to rush back, I'd like it if instead of Wario-Man, we get something that honors Wario's roots so this is the idea.

The start into the cutscene is close-range, however, it can hit in both directions in close-range. Wario jumps on the Frog Clock from Wario Land 4 and a voice says H-H-HURRY UP!!!, then the opponent gets knocked into a cutscene where they are oblivious to what's going on and a timer is ticking alongside distortion animation in the background in this cutscene, Wario comes running at full speed with his Hold R Tackle Move (the one with after images that is stronger than his usual shoulder tackle from Wario Land 4), and runs right the person sending them flying and jumps into the end point to save himself in time (just like the games).

:4charizard:
Charizard obtains his Seismitc toss around the world that he used against Magmar during the Blaine fight.

:4fox::4falco:

Would prefer if these two got it to where they jump inside a Arwing and you can fly it around the stage shooting Horizontal shots. However they have to turn just like in the game when they turn and do the flippy thing (adding lag for balance while staying to the roots).

:4littlemac:
His final smash is that he knocks to the person to the Punch-Out! ring from NES and they are above dizzy and you tap the punches with his 8bit sprite and then at the end they get sent flying after you jab then, uppercut with all of the NES sound effects, too.

:4pikachu:
In the anime in the first episode, Pikachu and Ash are being attacked by a ton of Spearow and because it's storming electricity gets magnified when Pikachu does Thunder, a big Thunder at that. I'd like it if a lot of dark clouds appeared at the top of the screen and a HUGE Thunderbolt comes down. Pikachu can do this at any part of the stage.
(For bonus points if they can do this, add rain coming down as well for visual flair.)

:4lucario:
I think close combat would be pretty cool. (But I understand why they use Mega for Lucario)

:4duckhunt:
Think it would be better if they incorporated the Zapper similar to Snake's Final Smash from Brawl (and ZSS in Smash 4) similar to this.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
:4mewtwo:
Replacing that hideous Mega form with either of these options.

1. Mewtwo uses Psychic on the entirety of the stage (including off-stage), which slows down opponents similar to the Timer item, then Mewtwo gains Lucario's Final Smash from Brawl but with a much bigger radius and with this setup, it's now easier to hit someone with it. 1 second before the final blast hits for knock-back, Psychic fades away.

2. Psystrike

3. Have a cutscene where Mew and Mewtwo are fighting, then the unsuspecting player gets thrown into the middle of Mew and Mewtwo's final blast and gets turned to stone for 7 seconds, during this stoned state the person gets more knock back than usual and your smash attack can kill early.
b-but mewtwo's final smash is the best thing about him in Sm4sh

and psystrike is his final smash anyway

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

b-but mewtwo's final smash is the best thing about him in Sm4sh

and psystrike is his final smash anyway
Haha, I respect your opinion. I just am not a fan of Mega Pokemon for the most part, and I find Mewtwo's Mega to be the worst of the bunch and think Mewtwo is fine the way he is.

D

Deleted member

Haha, I respect your opinion. I just am not a fan of Mega Pokemon for the most part, and I find Mewtwo's Mega to be the worst of the bunch and think Mewtwo is fine the way he is.
I reckon his final smash is decent, but mega Mewtwo Y looks just... Egh.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Make Peach's literally anything else. It's probably the worst one in the game. It actually helps other players.

Without completely overhauling it, as long as they made it so other players couldn't eat the peaches (and maybe if they stayed asleep a little longer) then it would be a million times better.

If it were to be completely overhauled, I remember a fake leak saying she had a new one in Smash 4 based off the vibes from Super Princess Peach. Depending on her current situation in the battle different things would happen. I don't remember the specifics but I know current damage and score both played a part in determining which one to use. Anger would set other players on fire, Joy would refill health, and I'm not sure about the other two. It seemed pretty creative and I wish they had dome something similar instead of bringing back her terrible, terrible Brawl one.

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Rather than a gameplay change, rather I just want an aesthetic change to a Final Smash.

Chrom should yell out a different line (mostly his critical quotes) every time Robin's Final Smash activates. Not just one static quote, but rather it cycles between a few of them.

So for example, it would go a bit something like this...

Robin: "Chrom!"
[Final Smash activates, Chrom gets summoned. Successful hit]
Chrom: "I will not fail! / Your end has come! / Stay focused! / As one!"

Same thing with Lucina. Her "Persona eyes" shot briefly appears on the screen and she yells a random critical quote ("Hope will never die!" / "I say when it ends!" / "You will not stop me!") then performs her Final Smash.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Same thing with Lucina. Her "Persona eyes" shot briefly appears on the screen and she yells a random critical quote ("Hope will never die!" / "I say when it ends!" / "You will not stop me!") then performs her Final Smash.
Well, to be fair, hearing Lucina yell "You will not stop me!" before immediately zooming offscreen at F-Zero speed would be incredibly hilarious. :yeahboi:

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I think Final Smashes should be changed as a concept. In muy opinion, they should incorporate canon elements (bye, bye, Link's and Mario's) and a competitive utility. I would destroy Smash Ball idea and stablish a power bar that could be filled up depending on the character. But I do not like those megakilling ones, such as Marth's or Snake's. But I know that's not what people would like...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Replace Chrom with Morgan (Female Morgan for Male Robin and Male Morgan for Female Robin) and make him a skin for Lucina.

Give Lucina her critical hit quotes from Awakening

Make Ganondorf's Beast Ganon form more like his Ocarina of Time version.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'd keep Bowser's the same and just increase its power, as Bowser tends to grow huge at the end of the Mario games anyways.

Dedede's current one is okay, but I think it'd be better if he sucked all his opponents into his belly, kicked as many bombs out of his mallet as possible, then spat his enemies into the bombs.

DK's final smash definitely could do with some changes. Bigger shockwaves and an ability to control which way they shoot. Alternatively he could just have a "single target" FS, where he jumps on his opponent and pounds on them with a flurry of punches before ending with an uppercut, like he does in Jungle Beat.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I think Final Smashes should be changed as a concept. In muy opinion, they should incorporate canon elements (bye, bye, Link's and Mario's) and a competitive utility. I would destroy Smash Ball idea and stablish a power bar that could be filled up depending on the character. But I do not like those megakilling ones, such as Marth's or Snake's. But I know that's not what people would like...
No, the smash ball adds more surprise and suspense.
What's the fun with a generic "Power bar" that gets filled up as your opponent gets beaten/beats you up? The Smash ball makes you wonder who will get it, If they ever will.

Smash is a strict Non-canon zone, which also makes it all the more fun. It's what makes Smash smash. The Idea of Mario and Sonic and Mega-Man and Pac-Man battling it off is just fantastic.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
No, the smash ball adds more surprise and suspense.
What's the fun with a generic "Power bar" that gets filled up as your opponent gets beaten/beats you up? The Smash ball makes you wonder who will get it, If they ever will.

Smash is a strict Non-canon zone, which also makes it all the more fun. It's what makes Smash smash. The Idea of Mario and Sonic and Mega-Man and Pac-Man battling it off is just fantastic.
Well, that's not my opinion.

Smash Ball concept has some things I personally dislike. It appears suddenly, it cannot be predicted, it moves at random direction and speed. I think that's not good if you are talking of a fair match (I'm not talking here about "fun", which I think is a very generic term for a very personal sensation). I would preffer something else that you could control in order to be performed.

That's why I talked about bars. If you re-read my last post, you could see I said I would like to see different bars and ways to fill these depending on the character you're fighting with. Just an idea. There could be many more. Generic? Not exactly. In 2D fighting games, every character fills it the same way; here, it would be pretty different. Also, bar concept is not exactly as that. One bar could look like Little Mac's, but other could be filled with other mechanics and look pretty different in visuals. I'm not saying making SoulCalibur...

For the "non-canon" issue... I understand there's some non canon point in the series. For example, Captain Falcon or Fox never had gone out of their ships until SSB. The problem is characters like Link, Toon Link and Mario have a gaming history full of moves, situations and attacks, but their Final Smash doesn't make a reference to that.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
I'd want them to bring back King Dedede's old final smash from Brawl. I miss seeing that jolly dance and the hoard of waddle dees and doos.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Kirby could use the Ultranova Ability!
Yeah definitely this, the Hypernova ability literally screams Final Smash material imo and would be much more unique both visually and functonally than yet another multi sword slashing generic FS. Though I guess it could be somewhat similar to Luigi's FS, but maybe with much more forward range and unable to trap enemies behind Kirby.

Either this or the obvious Falco getting the Airwing instead of Landmaster would be my personal pick. Speaking of which, I hope Wolf will return with a new FS and not yet another Landmaster :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Well, that's not my opinion.

Smash Ball concept has some things I personally dislike. It appears suddenly, it cannot be predicted, it moves at random direction and speed. I think that's not good if you are talking of a fair match (I'm not talking here about "fun", which I think is a very generic term for a very personal sensation). I would preffer something else that you could control in order to be performed.

That's why I talked about bars. If you re-read my last post, you could see I said I would like to see different bars and ways to fill these depending on the character you're fighting with. Just an idea. There could be many more. Generic? Not exactly. In 2D fighting games, every character fills it the same way; here, it would be pretty different. Also, bar concept is not exactly as that. One bar could look like Little Mac's, but other could be filled with other mechanics and look pretty different in visuals. I'm not saying making SoulCalibur...

For the "non-canon" issue... I understand there's some non canon point in the series. For example, Captain Falcon or Fox never had gone out of their ships until SSB. The problem is characters like Link, Toon Link and Mario have a gaming history full of moves, situations and attacks, but their Final Smash doesn't make a reference to that.
Getting into a conversation: The Smash Ball is great, but what really ruins it is that the winner never has the choice. Like, for example, I'm playing against Wario and he is with 99% damage, I am with 51%. I do 3,4 attacks against the Smash Ball and it does not break. Wario does one and he gets the Final Smash. Like, what? Brawl was much more fair in that regard. And, some FS are really lazy... How does Sheik uses the Light Arrow if she is supposed to have a hidden identity that differs very much from Zelda?

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Robin needs to turn into the freakin' dragon version of Grima and wreck everything. I mean come on Nintendo, you've got a dragon god as a playable character in Smash and you don't utilize that for awesome gameplay? Really?

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
This one would be a lot of effort but I would like it if Ness final smash transported you into the battle system of Earthbound. Everyone would stay in the battle system until Ness or all the enemys fall.

You could "Bash" (Attack) Use PSI, Defend, be given a random amount of "Goods" AKA items, Auto Fight, and run away which would cancel the final smash. (70% chance of working) In case of trolls you only have 10 seconds to select an option. Every character would be given a SNES/NES/Genesis themed sprite. After the final smash is over whoever died gets 1 stock took off and 30 seconds off the time.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Fox's final smash would allow you to Wavedash, L-Cancel, and shine spike with 1.5x speed and will last for the whole match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom