• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If You Could Add Two More Characters To Smash 4, Who Would It Be?

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
Ooh, I got it!:idea:

Viridi and Ashley would be smashing! Yeah, they are based on DLC costumes for :4miisword: that I bought and that I think rock, but it isn't enough. I think we can stand a couple more female spell-casters/sword-fighters.
Viridi would be really cool actually that's a good one! I actually only ever played :4miisword: using this costume!

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
Zits with Rash as an alternative costume from Battle Toads.

Square needs to pony up some CT representation. NOT Crono. Give us Magus. I want a BA, with a cape and scythe, capable of gnarly magic. Oh yeah think of the stage potential, too.

Tolvir

Smash Rookie
One third party and one Nintendo character.

Arthas Menethil, or the Lich King for the third party character. I think Blizzard should have a rep at some point, they really are a big part of gaming now, and Arthas is one of those really recognizable characters on the level of Cloud for Final Fantasy or Mario for a Nintendo. That and I think Arthas has the potential for a great move set and to be a really fun character.

In regards to Nintendo, I would put in another Fire Emblem character. As much as people would hate it? Probably Azura for the lance use.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Ooh, I got it!:idea:

Viridi and Ashley would be smashing! Yeah, they are based on DLC costumes for :4miisword: that I bought and that I think rock, but it isn't enough. I think we can stand a couple more female spell-casters/sword-fighters.
But they're both misanthropic brats who want to conquer humankind!

Why not Lip from Panel de Pon? She's magic and is much nicer. She certainly doesn't want to decimate the world. If she and Ashley got in I picture them having a rivalry.

Last edited:

MrJohnSmiley

Smash Rookie
Totally some fresh new faces to smash would be Crazy Dave from pvz and then Blinx the Timesweeper from... Yeah that game. Blinx the Time sweeper.

ThatOnePeachMain

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicNerdFighter
I would want Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You and either Sora from Kingdom Hearts (Specifically KHII) or Yooka Laylee (Since Banjo Kazooie is sadly not even possible)

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Banjo And Chibi-Robo.

Banjo is my favorite Video Game character of all time and he was born on Nintendo.

Chibi-Robo because I love the little guy's series and has a goldmine of moveset potential (also owned by nintendo!)

Tbh, I honestly thought to myself that Banjo won the Smash ballot, but after they showed off Bayonetta I felt forever cucked and angry, until I got over it in about a month.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would want Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You and either Sora from Kingdom Hearts (Specifically KHII) or Yooka Laylee (Since Banjo Kazooie is sadly not even possible)
Banjo is possible. The only requirement is to be a video game character. He's unlikely simply because Rare is owned by Microsoft. It is notable that the Microsoft CEO did say he had no issues with the idea, but it doesn't mean it would happen easily.

Just wanted to clear it up why some characters are unlikely VS impossible. The only impossible characters are those who are severely obscure(Sakurai wants iconic 3rd parties), there's no way the company would okay it, or because they didn't originate in a video game(3rd party rule specifically. It's debatable how much it applies to 1st and 2nd parties, but it probably is a relevant point to look at), also they have to have a video game appearance as is before anything matters.

Anyone who wins the Smash Poll must at least be in a video game, if 3rd party they must originate in a video game, and how likely they are depends on very many factors.

Simply put, Goku is impossible. Brian from Quest 64 is unlikely enough to be impossible due to Imagineer no longer into gaming(whom they have to get permission from), and rather obscure(note that he has a minority popularity at this point at best, but to pretend he's anywhere near iconic is laughable. Banjo is way more known than him, and there's a good reason for that). Note, let's say this character somehow got super high on the Smash Poll. Due to Imagineer's situation, he wouldn't be feasible. He might be someday if the game series gets revived and Imagineer either okays it or gives up the trademark to someone else, and most importantly, does well enough to garner interest. It's an obscure cult classic series with minor popularity.

And yes, I'm using one of my favorite games as an example of why there's more factors than "it's owned by Microsoft". Also, I'd say Master Chief/Jago/Fulgore are more likely than Banjo. The reason is they're more relevant, currently more popular, and their games had a major gaming impact. Halo heavily redefined the FPS genre. Killer Instinct defined combos, created the very well known Combo Breaker, and also is the reason for announcer chatter to be common place.

Banjo is a cool choice, though. :) So is Sora(who is pretty darn iconic at this point, more than a lot think. Only thing some people don't know is he's owned by Disney, not Square-Enix).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

IsaacFace.png

And then I'd never need nor follow any other Smash game again. :p

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banjo is possible. The only requirement is to be a video game character. He's unlikely simply because Rare is owned by Microsoft. It is notable that the Microsoft CEO did say he had no issues with the idea, but it doesn't mean it would happen easily.

Just wanted to clear it up why some characters are unlikely VS impossible. The only impossible characters are those who are severely obscure(Sakurai wants iconic 3rd parties), there's no way the company would okay it, or because they didn't originate in a video game(3rd party rule specifically. It's debatable how much it applies to 1st and 2nd parties, but it probably is a relevant point to look at), also they have to have a video game appearance as is before anything matters.

Anyone who wins the Smash Poll must at least be in a video game, if 3rd party they must originate in a video game, and how likely they are depends on very many factors.

Simply put, Goku is impossible. Brian from Quest 64 is unlikely enough to be impossible due to Imagineer no longer into gaming(whom they have to get permission from), and rather obscure(note that he has a minority popularity at this point at best, but to pretend he's anywhere near iconic is laughable. Banjo is way more known than him, and there's a good reason for that). Note, let's say this character somehow got super high on the Smash Poll. Due to Imagineer's situation, he wouldn't be feasible. He might be someday if the game series gets revived and Imagineer either okays it or gives up the trademark to someone else, and most importantly, does well enough to garner interest. It's an obscure cult classic series with minor popularity.

And yes, I'm using one of my favorite games as an example of why there's more factors than "it's owned by Microsoft". Also, I'd say Master Chief/Jago/Fulgore are more likely than Banjo. The reason is they're more relevant, currently more popular, and their games had a major gaming impact. Halo heavily redefined the FPS genre. Killer Instinct defined combos, created the very well known Combo Breaker, and also is the reason for announcer chatter to be common place.

Banjo is a cool choice, though. :) So is Sora(who is pretty darn iconic at this point, more than a lot think. Only thing some people don't know is he's owned by Disney, not Square-Enix).
Don't forget the rule that they must have appeared on a Nintendo console or otherwise have ties to Nintendo.

For this reason I would've considered Master Chief impossible, however, there was at one point a Halo game in development for the original DS. The addition of Cloud as a character makes it clear that eligible characters are able to skirt this rule on a technicality (Cloud didn't actually break this rule, because he had appeared on a GBA version of Kingdom Hearts as a non-playable character, and also, the day he was announced was the same day they announced World of Final Fantasy which has Cloud in it, which might've been the excuse Sakurai used to justify his inclusion). But still I wouldn't say Chief is more likely than Banjo, because Halo DS was never actually released. I think it's an unspoken rule that they must have appeared in a commercially released product tied to Nintendo.

If Halo DS was actually released you can bet your ass that I would be ringing bells and making noise and and raising a whole lot of ruckus for Master Chief to get in the game. He'd be a record-setter as the first American video game character to appear in Smash, and given how famous Halo is, it'd be quite a spectacular choice.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't forget the rule that they must have appeared on a Nintendo console or otherwise have ties to Nintendo.
Neither are rules that have a basis in reality. That's an old mistranslation. It's "The character must've originated in a video game and I'm more likely to go with a character than was on a Nintendo System." Note that this is his overall stance and he did also say no Manga characters as well. When asked about cartoon characters, he outright laughed and didn't take it seriously, which pretty much killed Anime characters' chances. Manga/Anime and Comics/Cartoons are treated similarly due to being very similar concepts with the key difference being the country of origin. Generally, Manga/Anime were from the Asian countries, while others had the Comics/Cartoons. The other is that they need to be a video game character, along with saying he'd look at characters who had Nintendo appearances more fondly.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/ This covers it well. And is more accurate.

For this reason I would've considered Master Chief impossible, however, there was at one point a Halo game in development for the original DS. The addition of Cloud as a character makes it clear that eligible characters are able to skirt this rule on a technicality (Cloud didn't actually break this rule, because he had appeared on a GBA version of Kingdom Hearts as a non-playable character, and also, the day he was announced was the same day they announced World of Final Fantasy which has Cloud in it, which might've been the excuse Sakurai used to justify his inclusion). But still I wouldn't say Chief is more likely than Banjo, because Halo DS was never actually released. I think it's an unspoken rule that they must have appeared in a commercially released product tied to Nintendo.

If Halo DS was actually released you can bet your *** that I would be ringing bells and making noise and and raising a whole lot of ruckus for Master Chief to get in the game. He'd be a record-setter as the first American video game character to appear in Smash, and given how famous Halo is, it'd be quite a spectacular choice.
Yeah, a lot of what you said are fanrules. The idea they need to have ties to Nintendo? Not reality. It's a misunderstanding of his point. Which is "Characters who appear on a Nintendo system I may be more likely to approve of", but he would take Master Chief if he could find a way to implement him in a proper way that doesn't take away too much from his characterization, fits the gameplay settings, and he could come to a proper agreement. He's extremely iconic, and from a video game first, which is literally the only requirements needed officially. He's however the main character of a rival company's most notable series. So it's unlikely they'd say yes, nor would Nintendo be okay with this as much due to the rival part. This isn't like many other ones, since Halo, unlike a lot of other series, happens to be purely Xbox and PC. It doesn't have to be on Nintendo, but an exclusive series that is a rival one too can ultimately reflect badly among the companies because people would too heavily expect Halo on a Nintendo console after doing that. So making a decision like this could cause unnecessary complaints. It's like trying to put in Tingle as playable. He has the credentials, but the extreme hatred he has gotten can cause issues enough that it's not worth it. Mind you, he's gotten more popular over the years, but the US still has yet to get a Tingle game(due to being unpopular there, although it would need toning down since it has a lot of inappropriate stuff that would at least require a M for Mature rating, which is a bit odd to give to a Zelda game...).

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Veterans: Ice Climbers and Wolf.

Newcomers: Inklings and Toad.
Agree with all of these except Toad. Bring back Snake and add another third party newcomer like Bomberman, Eggman or Knuckles.

Last edited:

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't decide. It would be between
Every single Character from inFAMOUS series
Every single Character from Earthbound/Mother series
Every single Characte....
You get the point
These are the only non-eligible characters in my eyes.
Characters than did not originate from games or univirses are heavily based on non-games
Elise, Paper Clones, Dr. Clones, Young/Boom Clones, Bayonetta as a Univirse, Fire Emblem Fates as a game, Shante whatever game series that is as a univirse, and last but not least. ANY SINGLE CHARACTER THAT ORIGINATED FROM THE POKEMON ANIME OR MOVIES AND ALL TRAINERS FROM x/y and s/m. Oh yeah, due to not really being a game and simply being alternate universe Spyro, Skylanders

Mother 4 and Pokemon Uranium are eligible in my eyes.

And Yes, and by everyone, I mean Death Jr., Dr. Lobe, Honey The Cat, Merluvlee, Magikcarp, Sentry Buster, Reggie Rowe, Zack (Travis from Mother 4's bro), Theo (Pokemon Uranium Rival/Ally), Ninjabread Man, Cynder, and yes..... even
BRAD HAWK!

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
It's really hard to decide but I'm gonna choose Sora and Shantae because I think they both have a lot of potential for a great moveset (especially the former).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
There are rumors that there might be a port on Nintendo Switch with two additional characters.

I would guess Ice Climbers and a new character from Zelda Breath of the Wild.

_Jack_

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers: These two were my very first Smash Bros. main way back when I played Melee as a kid and they've always been one of my best characters when I played Melee and Brawl. I remember I used to be convinced that they were the best in Melee. In my little kid mind, the fact that there was two of them justified them being the best. When I learned that they were cut from Smash 4, it sucked. I was looking forward to continuing to have the Ice Climbers as one of my best characters in this new game, but sadly it never happened. I absolutely love Smash 4 and it's my favorite Smash game by far. But, even though I came to enjoy a whole bunch of new characters, the roster never truly feels complete to me without the Ice Climbers. Hopefully, if this rumor of two new characters being added to Smash 4 Switch is true, the Ice Climbers will see a return. It makes perfect sense to, considering Sakurai said that they were already completed on the Wii U before they were cut. Adding them in requires no work on Nintendo's part because the work is already done. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sora: Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite game series and I would love to see Sora in Smash. He's a lot more recognized and popular than people would think. Sure, Kingdom Hearts is primarily known for being a PlayStation series but, hey, so is Final Fantasy VII and that didn't stop Cloud. Sora has so much potential for a completely unique moveset. I see him as a very combo oriented character with a variety of advanced and technical ways to create combos. He would be a character that thrives off of punishing his opponent's mistakes. As a Sora player, your goal wouldn't really be to strike first. Instead, it would be to memorize your opponent's patterns and strategies and then striking once you discover an opening and creating this huge, devastating combo. Sora could use some of his abilities and magic spells as special moves and his final smash could be his Final Form from KHII or summoning Riku or something else. There's so many possibilities. The only roadblock in the way of Sora getting into Smash is Disney and I highly doubt they would go for it. However, there's a few glimmers of hope. Disney allowed Wreck-It-Ralph to be in Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed. In addition to that, this isn't just any old game franchise we're talking about here. This is Smash, one of the most popular gaming franchises of all time. Would Disney really want to miss out on an extremely easy opportunity to make a few extra dollars? Sora may be next to impossible, but if anybody can get him into Smash, it's Sakurai.

PsychoJosh

There are rumors that there might be a port on Nintendo Switch with two additional characters.

I would guess Ice Climbers and a new character from Zelda Breath of the Wild.
I'd think a few more than two. Ice Climbers, Inklings and... Knuckles.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Takumi and Magolor. To me, they were some of the most memorable characters from Nintendo games in recent years. It also doesn't hurt that they have some potential to be unique and fun to play.

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
Ice climbers and wii fit trainer's balance board would be fun. ICs is the iconic grappler although there are already many of these in smash 4. The wii fit balance board is arguably more important than the trainer herself in the series and the trainer was included so why not the trainee.

MasterZaden

Smash Cadet
People should be less concerned about Waluigi and Daisy getting in Smash and more concerned about them getting in an actual, non-sports Mario game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wolf would be the most obvious inclusion in my book. For the second character, I would say Ice Climbers, but they were removed because of the 3DS system limitations. Hopefully the Switch might help them bounce back, assuming that Smash Bros. does get a Switch port.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Personal choices: Chrom, Ghirahim
Other personal choices: Snake, Chrono
Realistic choices: Inkling, Wolf
Other realistic choices: Ice Climbers, Shovel Knight

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
Just picking two characters, at least for me, is tough since I think there are many characters deserving of a roster spot but if I had to pick 2 third party characters, Lloyd Irving and another Sonic character. Both unlikely (at least Lloyd is) but hey, I think they could make good additions since I think that Lloyd has enough unique moves and a good enough personality to be included, and I personally think there is room for one more Sonic rep, now who it is I don't care. For nintendo characters, definitely Isaac (or Matthew, it doesn't matter to me) and Wolf. Saki would be cool aswell but he is an assist trophy already, and I don't know how the devs feel about adding a character that is already in the game in a way. Isaac is a character that I think could bring some interesting things to the table in smash and be one of the more unique characters, depending on how they put him in and Wolf is a character that I thought made a good fit for Smash, as the antagonistic counterpart to Fox and Falco, and had enough to differentiate himself from those two.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Just picking two characters, at least for me, is tough since I think there are many characters deserving of a roster spot but if I had to pick 2 third party characters, Lloyd Irving and another Sonic character. Both unlikely (at least Lloyd is) but hey, I think they could make good additions since I think that Lloyd has enough unique moves and a good enough personality to be included, and I personally think there is room for one more Sonic rep, now who it is I don't care. For nintendo characters, definitely Isaac (or Matthew, it doesn't matter to me) and Wolf. Saki would be cool aswell but he is an assist trophy already, and I don't know how the devs feel about adding a character that is already in the game in a way. Isaac is a character that I think could bring some interesting things to the table in smash and be one of the more unique characters, depending on how they put him in and Wolf is a character that I thought made a good fit for Smash, as the antagonistic counterpart to Fox and Falco, and had enough to differentiate himself from those two.
Isaac isn't Nintendo, though.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
He hails from the Golden Sun series. It's second party.
I know that. Golden Sun was made by Camelot, not Nintendo. Nintendo merely published the game, which is the same role they had on, for example, the Bayonetta series, which is considered 3rd party.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I know that. Golden Sun was made by Camelot, not Nintendo. Nintendo merely published the game, which is the same role they had on, for example, the Bayonetta series, which is considered 3rd party.
I'm pretty sure nintendo owns the IP but not the characters, so it's a strange-ish situation.

Top Bottom