• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If You Could Add Two More Characters To Smash 4, Who Would It Be?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think Wario's current moveset is actually kind of in character for Wario.
Well you could make the same argument for, let's say, Donkey Kong, if he had a move that involved throwing coconuts at people. It's not necessarily out of character for him, but is it really the most effective use of his moveset potential?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Well you could make the same argument for, let's say, Donkey Kong, if he had a move that involved throwing coconuts at people. It's not necessarily out of character for him, but is it really the most effective use of his moveset potential?
The problem with the "moveset potential" argument, simply put, is that it's opinion. It's fine to have your own ideas about what moves "should have been" but those ideas are highly likely to clash with someone's, and that's just the unfortunate truth. No matter how "true to the source material" or "flavorful" your ideas are, someone might disagree and want to change it.

At the end of the day, there are always going to be people unhappy with certain design choices in Smash, and even if everyone got their say, there'd probably be changes weekly, with people disagreeing about what should/shouldn't be in the game waaay too often.

As much as I personally would love to pull a "Project M" and mod the heck out of the game in my own image and have a fan-following to boot, I don't think I have the time or effort for that, and I think most others don't either. lol

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
funny, the title was pretty direct, but yet lots of people ended making it their wishlist.

As for me? Ridley, of course. and while we are at it why not dropping some more metroid content such as a decent metroid prime stage?

and as for second... Simon Belmont. while i'm certainly more inclined to think that the game could use certain shoveller more (plus he is more relevant these days) and i'm full on the f*** konami camp, the prospect of simon belmont gameplay and castlevania in smash is way too much of a wet dream to let it pass....

Mordecai Hazard

Smash Cadet
Megaman X (Sorry, he's better than original megaman), and uhhhh.....Zero from megaman X (Yeah, I like megaman X a lot. Got a problem?).

PsychoJosh

Megaman X (Sorry, he's better than original megaman), and uhhhh.....Zero from megaman X (Yeah, I like megaman X a lot. Got a problem?).
Put Megaman X in MVC4. Keep Classic Megaman in Smash as he represents the whole series. Zero could still be a viable candidate though since he'd be different from Megaman.

Mordecai Hazard

Smash Cadet
Put Megaman X in MVC4. Keep Classic Megaman in Smash as he represents the whole series. Zero could still be a viable candidate though since he'd be different from Megaman.
yes, I do agree with this. Just the thought of Zero being in ssb4 would indeed be very awesome.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Zero is the only Mega Man character that I would give a semi-decent chance to get added in Smash 5 or in Smash 4 ported to the Switch due to his immense popularity and possible unique+awesome moveset given what he can do in the X games, Zero games, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and in Marvel vs Capcom 3/Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

If they were to add X, they would have to either change Mega Man's final smash which would be a interesting move since his final smash debatably has the most fan service out of any final smash there is or they would have to cut him off entirely which doesn't appear to be likely.

X would still be an awesome addition though if he ever gets in.

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
I wouldn't mind any of the previously dropped characters return. Mostly because I think its pretty sad when a Character gets dropped. But If I was to choose new characters I would like to see Lana from Hyrule Warriors, I think she could be a really interested mage typed character in Smash along the lines of Robin etc. And Another one that recently popped up was Bandanna Dee, like Kirby he has a few really nice aspects to him that I think could really work well.. plus the little guy is adorable!

::Edit::

Oh someone I completely forgot, I want my boy Squirtle back as a standalone character! This would be bliss!

Last edited:

Petersheikah

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucaCucua
Impa from Hyrule Warriors since her moveset and design were awesome and Sceptile since he's so fun to play on Pokken Tournament. These are just personal favourites though, I'm not implying that those two picks would satisfy the fanbase and would be the best.

PsychoJosh

I'd replace the current Wario completely with a moveset based on Warioland.

But also, I would add Mona from Warioware as a playable character. She would attack with spicy pizza, her scooter and her rock guitar. She could pull out her animal friends to kick soccerballs and banana peels at her opponents, and her forward smash would be a cute sneeze. The longer you charge it, "ah, ah, ahhh... chooo!"

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Number One for me is the same as it's always been since Melee:

Captain N
A master of weaponized video game peripherals. Rather than just sticking solely to his old NES-based design, Cap' would be updated to utilize Nintendo hardware across many generations. In this sense he's not so much "repping" his show so much as he represents Nintendo hardware history on a whole, which I'm hoping would help justify bending the no tv characters rule for him.

-Jab: Wii Nunchuck. Captain N uses it as an actual nunchuck to attack
-Smash: Gamecube. Holding the console by it's handle, Cap' bashes an opponent with it. As a bonus, a game disc goes flying out & could potentially another player for 1%.
-Neutral Special: Dual NES Zappers. Keeping at least 1 component of his classic arsenal, Captain N pairs the orange zapper with it's older grey brother. He can shoot both in 1 direction or with additional directional inputs fire in two separate directions.
-Side Special: 3DS. Holds up the handheld facing away from him. Random objects such as swords or barrels pop out of the top screen, damaging anyone close enough to be hit by them.
-Up Special: Stylus. Uses a stylus to scribble a simple ladder that he can climb up.. The longer the button is held the taller the ladder gets.
-Down Special: N64 Rumble Pak. Presses against the floor to create AoE earthquake.
-Grab: IR Pointer. Uses the Wiimote to grab an opponent from a far with a cursor.
-Final Smash: Pause Button. Literally pauses SSB4 but can move around freely himself, allowing him to score free hit against motionless enemies.

Sora
Unless we actually get some KH ports to the Switch (pretty please, Square?) I'm basing Sora off of his most recent & biggest Nintendo outing, Dream Drop Distance. So his character model is based on his look in that game as well as his moveset.

-Jab: Keyblade combo
-Smash: Swings his keyblade like the homerun bat.
-Neutral Special: Command Deck. The standout feature of Sora's moveset, Sora has a rotating list of spells & will use whichever spell is displayed above his percent meter when B is pressed. However these spells have a cooldown rate & can't be spammed.
--Fire. Long range projectile. Has the fastest cooldown.
--Blizzard. Shotgun like ice blast.
--Thunder. Like Pikachu's down special but shorter height & wider width.
--Balloon. Leaves a water balloon on the field that explodes when someone touches it. Only one balloon can be placed at a time.
-Up Taunt: Sora runs his index finger threw the air as though he were turning a page in a book. Up taunt manually changes the active spell in the command deck.
-Side Special: Strike Raid. Uses the keyblade as a boomerang.
-Up Special: Aerial Slam. Sends opponent upwards with the 1st hit, jumps up to intercept, & then smashes opponent downward with a 2nd hit.
-Down Special: Quick Blitz. A quick jump attack with high knockback.
-Grab: Bind. Grabs the opponent with a binding spell.
-Final Smash: Whomperstomp. Sora hops on top of an inflated Meow Wow that bounces around the stage for several seconds.

PsychoJosh

Number One for me is the same as it's always been since Melee:

Captain N
A master of weaponized video game peripherals. Rather than just sticking solely to his old NES-based design, Cap' would be updated to utilize Nintendo hardware across many generations. In this sense he's not so much "repping" his show so much as he represents Nintendo hardware history on a whole, which I'm hoping would help justify bending the no tv characters rule for him.
Hate to break it to you but Captain N isn't a video game character. He does not originate from a video game, he is an original creation by DiC. He has no chance whatsoever.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Hate to break it to you but Captain N isn't a video game character. He does not originate from a video game, he is an original creation by DiC. He has no chance whatsoever.
At this point, I don't even know what to expect anymore. They added a 2nd Capom character in Ryu, Cloud who appears in games that are mostly on Playstation consoles who even himself in his own trailers says, "Never thought I'd see the day...", Bayonetta who was viewed to a lot of people as too new/not a classic 3rd party character, undeserving, and/or too inappropriate while I thought for sure that some characters like King K Rool and Ridley were finally going to be added, but they're still in the waiting room.

While I do think Captain N is extremely unlikely, sometimes you just never know on what's going on unless you're part of the team helping to make the actual game or an insider who isn't involved on that particular project.

EDIT: I'm aware that Bayonetta got in by the Smash Ballot, but still.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

At this point, I don't even know what to expect anymore.
Yes you do. You expect video game characters. Captain N is not a video game character. He originates from western animation and not a video game. All those other characters, however unlikely, share in common the fact that they are all video game characters who have appeared on Nintendo consoles before. Cloud has appeared on the GBA by way of Kingdom Hearts, and he is also in World of Final Fantasy, so he is technically not breaking any rules by being in Smash.

Captain N has not appeared on any Nintendo consoles, does not originate from any video game, iand has not been relevant for several decades. Therefore he is completely impossible.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Yes you do. You expect video game characters. Captain N is not a video game character. He originates from western animation and not a video game. All those other characters, however unlikely, share in common the fact that they are all video game characters who have appeared on Nintendo consoles before. Cloud has appeared on the GBA by way of Kingdom Hearts, and he is also in World of Final Fantasy, so he is technically not breaking any rules by being in Smash.

Captain N has not appeared on any Nintendo consoles, does not originate from any video game, iand has not been relevant for several decades. Therefore he is completely impossible.
What about ROB? Has appeared in video games, but was not originally a video game character. Also, "has not been relevant for several decades"... Several retro characters (Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt) fall into this category, as do characters like Captain Falcon and Ness outside of Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

What about ROB? Has appeared in video games, but was not originally a video game character.
R.O.B. is a video game accessory created and owned by Nintendo, whereas Captain N is the protagonist of a TV show featuring video game characters. They aren't on the same boat.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
2 new characters to smash? I would add Rayman, and probably bring back Wolf cuz everyone misses him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Keep in mind that's one of Sakurai's rules. Keep also in mind that Sakurai will not be working on the series forever. Unfortunately, the reason he's on the project was due to Iwata's influence(what I'm saying is that with Iwata gone, we can't guarantee Sakurai is going to direct every Smash game. He may not be directing Smash Switch for all we know. It's a sad reality, but people need to be aware of these facts). Who sadly passed away. That means what "rules" there are(I'm aware we are not talking about fan rules) may change.

Also, there was no rule that two characters couldn't come from a 3rd party company(IIRC, Capcom Japan and Capcom USA are actually different companies. Bayonetta is actually owned by regular Sega as is Sonic. They're the only example of having two characters from the exact same company at this time). There is a fan rule that two characters from the same 3rd party series won't be playable. This fan rule has never once been broken, but I think the Sonic series or Street Fighter series is the most likely to break it if any.

I don't think Captain N will ever be possible, outside of a Trophy if lucky, but we have to wait and see if new rules come up. I agree he has no chance at this time, but after Smash Switch, we don't know. I would wait to see if Sakurai is asked to direct another Smash game before actually citing any rule. Albeit, I think this rule will stay in place regardless of Sakurai, but who knows.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

What about ROB? Has appeared in video games, but was not originally a video game character. Also, "has not been relevant for several decades"... Several retro characters (Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt) fall into this category, as do characters like Captain Falcon and Ness outside of Smash Bros.
I haven't considered that, actually. Yes, I suppose it is technically true that ROB isn't a video game character, however, he is an accessory that Nintendo created and owned, and they have all rights to its imagery. However, Nintendo is free to put in any of its own characters that it may wish to put in regardless of relevancy. It's an effortless task for them to put in their own obscure characters, but it's a completely different story when they have to acquire the rights from a third party to put in an obscure character who is no longer relevant. All the third party characters they've put in this far are either a hugely iconic part of gaming history (Megaman, Pac-man, Sonic) or are still appearing in games today (Cloud, Bayonetta, Ryu). Captain N is not only not a video game character but he is also a severely obscure thing that only millennials will get, and even they might not remember him all that much because it was a rather mediocre and dull cartoon.

Keep in mind that's one of Sakurai's rules. Keep also in mind that Sakurai will not be working on the series forever. Unfortunately, the reason he's on the project was due to Iwata's influence(what I'm saying is that with Iwata gone, we can't guarantee Sakurai is going to direct every Smash game. He may not be directing Smash Switch for all we know. It's a sad reality, but people need to be aware of these facts). Who sadly passed away. That means what "rules" there are(I'm aware we are not talking about fan rules) may change.
This brings up an interesting point, actually. Suppose that Sakurai retires from making Smash one day, who should take his place? I would hope that Nintendo sees that its audience now has a taste for competitive gaming and takes a chance on hiring people like the Project M team, as PM was fantastic. They could make a game that's immensely fun and also caters to the competitive audience at the same time. They could integrate advanced techniques into the game system itself to make it easier for casuals to learn and give them the tools they need to compete. They even have an eye for what makes the game fun and would put in loads of fanservice.

An official Smash game by the fans, for the fans, it could be a world-beating product. Look at what Sega did with Sonic Mania. The potential is incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This brings up an interesting point, actually. Suppose that Sakurai retires from making Smash one day, who should take his place? I would hope that Nintendo sees that its audience now has a taste for competitive gaming and takes a chance on hiring people like the Project M team, as PM was fantastic. They could make a game that's immensely fun and also caters to the competitive audience at the same time. They could integrate advanced techniques into the game system itself to make it easier for casuals to learn and give them the tools they need to compete. They even have an eye for what makes the game fun and would put in loads of fanservice.

An official Smash game by the fans, for the fans, it could be a world-beating product. Look at what Sega did with Sonic Mania. The potential is incredible.
For the record, the rumor is Bandai-Namco is developing Smash Switch. We know nothing else.

But honestly, the PM team has tons of talent and worked hard for their fan stuff. I think it'd be great if they were hired. I think at this point, Smash could use a new team with different ideas to let it evolve a bit more. Don't get me wrong, it could go bad too. One issue that's fairly clear is that the games have a ton of mixed reactions. So a fan taking care of it could go either way.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
The thread is called "If You Could Add Characters". The implied premise of this hypothetical scenario is that I, the poster, am the one that makes the call, not Sakurai. Arguing over what characters Sakurai would & would not permit is irrelevant to this thread.

Past that, He's not a DiC creation, his debut was in the pages of Nintendo Power & I have it on good authority that Nintendo owns the rights to him & other original characters from the show/comic/short stories. DiC only retained the video rights of the show itself, not the IP. When Sakurai said no TV/Movie characters, his intentions was in regards to 3rd party candidates, not 1st. After all, there are references to the Pokemon anime in SSB64 & Melee.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just a quick reminder that the Smash Poll's rules does say "They have to originate in a video game" first.

That said, could you please post hard proof Nintendo owns Captain N? I thought it was a different company and he's actually a 3rd party character, where the company licensed the usage of various characters for their comics.

It's an actual interesting point to make, if he's a 1st party Nintendo character. However, they still have to be in a video game as is before they can get in, so Captain N fails that point entirely.

PsychoJosh

When Sakurai said no TV/Movie characters, his intentions was in regards to 3rd party candidates, not 1st. After all, there are references to the Pokemon anime in SSB64 & Melee.
There is no place he ever said this. This just sounds like your subjective interpretation of something he said, or you misremembering. He said no TV/Movie characters period. He didn't say anything about who might own the rights to them.

References to the pokemon anime are just that. References, and nothing else. Simple text trivia. It's a completely different story to have a character that didn't originate from a video game and hasn't been relevant in decades.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is no place he ever said this. This just sounds like your subjective interpretation of something he said, or you misremembering. He said no TV/Movie characters period. He didn't say anything about who might own the rights to them.

References to the pokemon anime are just that. References, and nothing else. Simple text trivia. It's a completely different story to have a character that didn't originate from a video game and hasn't been relevant in decades.
Although as noted, if he wasn't in a video game, he couldn't be eligible regardless. As I said above, who owns the rights does matter. If he's a 1st party character, then the only thing holding him back specifically is the video game part.

Relevancy is an entirely different point, which I couldn't agree with more. He's only slightly known at best, and unless Sakurai or Bandai-Namco(whoever is directing the latest game) actually says "1st/2nd party characters must originate in a video game", this actual argument point doesn't hold water anymore.

The person is right, though. He said no "Manga/Anime" characters specifically when talking about 3rd parties. He did say to only suggest someone who originated in a video game for the Smash Poll specifically. Brawl itself had different rules. R.O.B., for instance, is actually a toy first, and was put into a game second, but since he's 1st party, isn't bound by that rule. But considering he changed his mind for the Smash Poll, I don't think we can say for sure what the actual rules are for his character choices(or Bandai-Namco's, or both) for Smash Switch. I do entirely agree that Captain N has no chance, more because he(since the person didn't really actually give us evidence he's a 1st party character) has no video game appearances. If he's 1st party, nothing stops him from being a legit trophy. I also would love to see a video game starring him, but his series is also full of 3rd party characters, most notably, some of Konami's.

But yeah, I mostly agree with you, but things could change down the line.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
If :4pacman: can make it on Smash 4, why not a character from Tekken?

Asuka Kazama from Tekken 5 would have been an interesting addition. She has Falco's personality and loves fighting. And her schoolgirl outfit is stylin', I'll tell you what. Asuka would be equal to :4lucario:'s weight and be a very defensive fighter with her attack reversal being more O.P. than Counter Surge.

Kunimitsu in her Tekken Tag Tournament 2 appearance would have really been something. She'd be as speedy and light as :4greninja:, overwhelming enemies with her dagger and fire breath.

PsychoJosh

If :4pacman: can make it on Smash 4, why not a character from Tekken?

Asuka Kazama from Tekken 5 would have been an interesting addition.
Probably because it'd be kind of boring... Tekken mostly has "realistic" combat. While that works well in the world of Tekken, it's not exactly fun to put such a character in a game like Smash, up against magic users, sword wielders, and giant apes and penguins.

That doesn't mean a second Namco rep shouldn't be in the game though. How about Klonoa? I think that'd be a fun addition. Keeps with the series tradition of cute stylized fantasy characters.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bandai-Namco, people. Not Namco. Don't forget Bandai game characters. Not saying this just cause of Digimon originating as a video game series(although I think some Digimon were Manga/Anime first, but eh), but so you know where your options are for characters. You got two merged companies. ;)

Last edited:

Pacific

Smash Rookie
I think Quote from Cave Story and Bandana dee could fit perfectly into smash.

I know that Quote is and indie game character, but Cave Story is featured on a few nintendo consoles so I think it could potentially happen. I know he would also likely have a playstyle similar to mega man, but I think there are be enough differences to justify it.

And Bandana dee because I want more kirby characters in this game

PsychoJosh

Quote would be great, even better if you could use Curly as an alternate.

Something that just occurred to me is the possibility of a second Sonic rep. This very possibly could happen if Sakurai just wants to bolster the roster with interesting choices. I'd love to see Knuckles, or Dr. Eggman riding his eggwalker.

Project M kind of made me hype for Knuckles.

Last edited:

Pacific

Smash Rookie
I've never thought of the possibility of Curly being an alt, but that'd be really cool.

As awesome as it'd be for Knuckles to be in the game, I can't help but think of how creative Dr. Eggman could be. I would love to see how he could be implement with his eggwalker and such.

MetalFan13

Smash Rookie
I would like Snake (Metal Gear Solid) and Vega from SFV. Snake is a possibility now that Konami is an official partner of the Switch... Vega could be a really cool character. He could have inputs like Ryu. He could have a neutral B where he puts on/takes off his claws. When his claws are on, his moves could do more damage with less knockback, and without claws he could do less damage but kill easier. It could make for a very interesting character.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
That said, could you please post hard proof Nintendo owns Captain N? I thought it was a different company and he's actually a 3rd party character, where the company licensed the usage of various characters for their comics.
Captain Nintendo was created by Randy Studdard, an at the time editor of Nintendo Power magazine (which itself was a fully Nintendo owned publication), who conceived the character as a potential marketing mascot for the company. Studdard wrote 2 short stories that were featured in November/December 1988 and January/February 1989 issues of NP. The Cap most certainly was Nintendo's property at that point in time before they started working with DiC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_N:_The_Game_Master#Origins

If he's 1st party, nothing stops him from being a legit trophy. I also would love to see a video game starring him, but his series is also full of 3rd party characters, most notably, some of Konami's.
Give me a mii gunner costume with a varsity jacket & NES Zapper & I'd probably be content (This is how my inkling is set up in Splatoon).

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Hrmm two characters, I was once asked this by my stepsibling. tbh the only characters that I might want are ones that appeared in previous smash titles. So Ice Climbers for one. As for the second one.....that's actually tough, I want a more modern character in the roster but who?
I want someone obscure, but also modern, the problem is most characters that I want...I'd have zero clue how they'd be incorporated into smash. Though they expanded upon little mac so it can be done.
I'd really like to see someone from Rhythm heaven but like I said don't know how they'd be incorporated into the game....

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Two more characters for SSB4? Personally, I would add Captain N and Simon Belmont (preferably styled after the NES version).

It would be so awesome to have Pit, Mega Man, Simon Belmont, and Captain N together again in an official Nintendo game and Smash would be the ideal game for a reunion.

Oh well... there's always SSB5. Knowing Nintendo, they will probably want to milk NES nostalgia as much as possible...and that's why I still have hope for Captain N and Simon Belmont.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Ooh, I got it!:idea:

Viridi and Ashley would be smashing! Yeah, they are based on DLC costumes for :4miisword: that I bought and that I think rock, but it isn't enough. I think we can stand a couple more female spell-casters/sword-fighters.

Top Bottom