• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If tourneys approved hacks?

K 2

Smash Lord
I think you over thought about it rofl.. And if no one in your house has a digital camera I think it's time you move into the 21st century. With a cake you have to buy loads of ingredients, this you just have to borrow ONE ingredient.

And you cannot use the word "everyone" ... that is a superlative.. the majority of everyone will still be playing normal brawl. Probably 99%. If some of us find it more fun to play hacks we will play with them. We will host tournaments with them if we want. You don't have to come though.

I hate looking at back to back arguments on this site cause they last like 50 pages, so I wont argue it any further here. I've stated my thoughts, you've stated yours and neither of us will change our minds. I believe if people want to make a game faster paced, and most of all, more fun** then we should be allowed to. You don't have to share our fun..

thats all..
I do believe somewhere in the ingredients list it said to use a SD card seperate from the one in your camera...

Let me make myself clear to everyone...since everyone TOTALLY misunderstands what I think. I have NOTHING against WD and LC and no tripping in friendly matches. If you want to hack you wii with your friends and play melee 2.0, go for it! I don't care. Everyone is happy that way. I seriously don't mind if you want to play like that casually. BUT I do NOT want to see it in tourneys. I've stated my reasoning above and throughout the numerous "hacking your wii", and "wavedashing in brawl", and "No tripping code is out", and all those otther threads.

EDIT: I give up on responding to these threads for now on. I'm not trying to make people play a certain way, I just don't want to play hacked versions of the game in tourneys. I'm not going to check this thread anymore and I won't respond to any more post like this.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
ALTERNATE TOURNIES. Not mainstream tournies. ALTERNATE. It's similar to ISP (item) tournies. An alternate format for tournaments

Why don't people understand that?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
ALTERNATE TOURNIES. Not mainstream tournies. ALTERNATE. It's similar to ISP (item) tournies. An alternate format for tournaments

Why don't people understand that?
idk, but i could definately get into forming an alternate side to tourneys with hacks

good for only casual you say?i say this is not true because 1. with no trip in tourneys, it removes a major luck factor so tripping on your last stock wont cost you a match 2. with WD and L-canceling adds pure depth and skill to brawl,its more than just making the game"Melee 2.0" or w.e 3.brawl is too ''easy" it dosent take as much practice to place somwhere good,theres no true level of skill gap between scrub and pro,with these hacks it will make the game more competitive.and wheres the problem in that?

just because you may have sucked with the WD in melee dosent mean you cant get better with it in brawl,right?

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Wow, how are these thread continuously being made? Its the most obvious thing that hacks won't be included in tournaments, THEY ARE HACKS PEOPLE. I know all you Melee fans would like to have Melee 2.0, but guess what. THE NEW SMASH GAME IS BRAWL NOT MELEE. If you want Wavedashing and L Canceling who is stopping you from taking the Brawl disc out of your Wii and popping in the Melee disc? Not a single person. You want Melee, play Melee. You want Brawl, play Brawl. Just don't piss and moan when some other people call you an idiot for trying to morph a game into a game that already exists. Jeez...

.CMW.

Cinder

Smash Master
Wow, how are these thread continuously being made? Its the most obvious thing that hacks won't be included in tournaments, THEY ARE HACKS PEOPLE. I know all you Melee fans would like to have Melee 2.0, but guess what. THE NEW SMASH GAME IS BRAWL NOT MELEE. If you want Wavedashing and L Canceling who is stopping you from taking the Brawl disc out of your Wii and popping in the Melee disc? Not a single person. You want Melee, play Melee. You want Brawl, play Brawl. Just don't piss and moan when some other people call you an idiot for trying to morph a game into a game that already exists. Jeez...

.CMW.
Thing is, most people already realize that it's not gonna become a tourney standard, but who's to say we can't host a local tourney that uses these hacks? Is that so wrong? We finally found a way to make Brawl what it should have been, and people start whining? It's not like we're pushing to make it a standard...if you wanna play with the hacks, then why the hell shouldn't we? Wanna host a tourney using the hacks? Then who's stopping you? Whether or not it's a "standard", there's no reason NOT to use hacking in local tournaments...

Spinner

Smash Cadet
The only hack I would accept is the No-Trip hack. Sure it would be fun for all hacks to be used in like friendly tournaments. However, in the competitive tournaments would be sorta odd. Maybe it's because this is all just so sudden.

Anyway, if they are to be used in tournaments, then it should not go in the same field as normal Brawl tournaments. Because they both use to different skills, with the Hacked Brawl being a little more advanced.

{{~|Official Brawl Tournament|~}}

{{~>Official HACKED-Brawl Tournament<~}}

In other words. So yeah, I believe it would be a good idea overall.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
I just don't see why people feel the need to make Brawl into a preexisting game. If you think Brawl is inferior because of its uncompetitive nature compared to Melee, why not just play Melee. Cinder, I see you have a Doc Mario main character head thingy and I see in your siggy you are rather anti-Brawl. That is cool, you don't like Brawl, I respect that. Its when you start taking a game that many people prefer and making it a clone of a game that has already been made, I begin to disagree. Go ahead, use Wavedashing and other AT's from Melee in friendlies, I have no problem with that, but when it starts affecting tourneys, large or small, it needs to be nipped at the bud. You say only a local tourney here and one there, but we all know that all big epidemics start out small.

.CMW.

Cinder

Smash Master
Why is it such a big deal to you if someone hosts a tourney with a hacked game? It's not like EVERY tournament's gonna adopt this...why not go for Spinner's idea and let BOTH thrive? There's really no reason we shouldn't host a hacked-game tourney...in fact, once I get everything I need, I'm planning to host such a tourney...no one's forcing you to go to a hacked-game tourney, and no one has the right to force us not to host one...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
You don't need to install any .wad files onto your Wii to use a "hacked" version of Brawl. Therefore, there is no risk if all you're going to do is use codes. =\
Okay. So, if the code fails, and my Wii is bricked, are you gonna pay me a new one? No? Well, then I won't take the risk and modify my console.

Besides - about the fairness-side. Think about that: There are people who don't visit Smashboards! ZOMG. How could those people know about the hacks, then? How could those people include them into their training? And, if they can't, where will be the fairness of tournaments in there, then? Maybe that guy who would be good, but doesn't have access to these codes is going to lose badly because he can't use the Melee ATs. Very fair.

Spinner

Smash Cadet
I just don't see why people feel the need to make Brawl into a preexisting game. If you think Brawl is inferior because of its uncompetitive nature compared to Melee, why not just play Melee. Cinder, I see you have a Doc Mario main character head thingy and I see in your siggy you are rather anti-Brawl. That is cool, you don't like Brawl, I respect that. Its when you start taking a game that many people prefer and making it a clone of a game that has already been made, I begin to disagree. Go ahead, use Wavedashing and other AT's from Melee in friendlies, I have no problem with that, but when it starts affecting tourneys, large or small, it needs to be nipped at the bud. You say only a local tourney here and one there, but we all know that all big epidemics start out small.

.CMW.
This is about hacks, not making Brawl Melee. That would never happen.

There is nothing highly bad with using hacks in tournaments. I think it would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay. So, if the code fails, and my Wii is bricked, are you gonna pay me a new one? No? Well, then I won't take the risk and modify my console.
The codes don't fail, that's what you're missing. The Air Dodge, no tripping, and S-Cancel/L-Cancel codes don't cause bricking. Putting the HBC onto your Wii does not cause bricking. Seriously, if these things caused bricking, why would I advocate the use of them? Or even, begin to suggest trying them out?

Codes can't even brick Wiis in the first place. All a code is, is editing memory addresses of the game. It has no bearing on the Wii whatsoever.

Spadefox said:
Besides - about the fairness-side. Think about that: There are people who don't visit Smashboards! ZOMG. How could those people know about the hacks, then? How could those people include them into their training? And, if they can't, where will be the fairness of tournaments in there, then? Maybe that guy who would be good, but doesn't have access to these codes is going to lose badly because he can't use the Melee ATs. Very fair.
The rules and what not would clearly state what was in play. I don't think those people who haven't used the codes before would enter, but, if they did it'd be for the simple fact of trying it out. Knowing full well that they would lose, they entered, fairness wouldn't count here then, now would it?

kr3wman

Smash Master
This thread is full of people getting worked up for nothing. People should calm down a bit and realize no one is actually for Hacks in Tournaments.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
wow...hacks...hacks....hacks....GO DESIGN YOUR OWN FRICKEN GAME WITH ALL THE EFFING HITSTUN YOU WANT!!!!!!!!! Seriously people, wavedashing and l-cancelling in friendly matches with your friends is perfectly find, but I don't think everyone who plays brawl wants to RELEARN how to play Melee.

You want melee airdodge back so people can be punished?
1. You obviously suck at punishing people in brawl...apparently you think you can only punish people who are in helpless states...Pros NEVER let themselves be in helpless states, so in a tourney environment, you won't punish them for that. You can only punish noobs like that...
2. Play Melee

You want more hitstun so you can have combos, but no infinites?
1. Can you say fox's waveshine in melee? too much hitstun=0-death
2. more hitstun=more infinites...Infinites are boring. Just imagine a game where everytime you got hit with a shine, or everytime you got grabbed, you would lose a stock...Boring!
3. Play Melee

Wavedashing is rather useless, beyond looking cool...
1. Play Melee

L-cancelling?
1. There are Auto cancelled aerials in brawl, no need for l-cancelling. Also for the non AC-able aerials, you can reduce the lag to zero by jumping and instantly performing an aerial, so the move finishes in the air with zero landing lag
2. Play Melee

Enough with the threads already?
Lol if you think I suck at punishing look at my tourney results, second its a hypethetical question so calm the hell down. lol Only thing I'm sure will be considerable is the no trip hack.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
Same argument I had for anti-tripping code: If you change the game from it's original programming, it is not the same game and therefore shouldn't even be discussed on these boards.

I have no problem with the hacking, it just is not Brawl if you change the game so, no I don't think it will/should be approved in BRAWL tournaments.

However, I am not against having Melee 2.0 tournaments.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Also let me spell this out to people who say play Melee. Does Melee have new characters, stages and features like footstooling? No it does not, so I just want a competitive Brawl (Alternitive). Is that so bad to ask for?

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
I am not saying to play Melee, I am saying that it isn't Brawl.

You can host tournaments, it just wouldn't be a Brawl tournament.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
The only legitimate reason for having hacked Brawl tournaments is that these new hacks are fun as hell. And that's exactly what this is: fun as hell. I'm almost positive 99% of the people saying crap like "just play Melee" haven't even tried it. Well guess what? I'll do whatever the hell I want to my own game, and if someone wants to host a tournament with hacked Brawl, that is none of your **** business.

I'm positive this will catch on, just because of how fun it is. Wavedashing and L-canceling open up a lot of interesting possibilities in Brawl, and I will personally continue playing this way, and also normal Brawl. It's more entertaining to me this way. I personally don't like S-canceling, but I'm not gonna tell people to not play like that or not do their own S-canceling tournaments. That is their own business, and if they get more enjoyment out of the game that way, more power to them.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
Codes can't even brick Wiis in the first place. All a code is, is editing memory addresses of the game. It has no bearing on the Wii whatsoever.
Codes can corrupt save game data, and people have bricked their Wii installing certain WAD files.

Also, Nintendo could do something in the future like Micro$oft does. I doubt Nintendo would ever try to screw everyone over who has used the Twilight Hack, unless you could pirate Wii games or something with it.

Revven

FrankerZ
Codes can corrupt save game data, and people have bricked their Wii installing certain WAD files.
1) Yes, that is true, but it is only for certain Brawl codes (the L-Canceling, S-Canceling, and Wavedashing codes not being the ones that cause it). No other game has these issues. And even then, you can backup your save data with Gecko OS 1.07's rebooter feature as a safe measure. As I said, codes don't brick your Wii, corrupting a save file is completely different from bricking. :p

2) They don't have to install the .wad files though, if all you're in it for is using codes then you won't have any mind to use .wads. Unless you truly wanted to get older games for free, at which point, you need to check if it's legitimate, safe, and other people have used it before.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
Thank you Someone7 for being a complete ignoramus.

No one cares what you personally do and it doesn't matter what fans of Melee 2.0 do, it just will never be used in Brawl tournaments because it isn't Brawl.

I've never been to a Brawl tournament where they were playing Guilty Gear instead of Brawl, if you want to have a Brawl tournament, play Brawl.

YiffyBaro

Smash Cadet
K 2 saying that he sucks at Melee and that's why he plays Brawl was funny. But then when he said he played Brawl because it lets everyone be good, I got angry.

Mith_

Smash Champion
At first when I saw the hacks I was just like ''lol'' but with good organisation creating a ''Melee 2.0'' scene is totally possible. Just think about Counter-Strike and DOTA...

And the point would not be to directly compete with Brawl... just to give an alternative to players. But I doubt the the Smash community would be mature enough to get into something like this...
this sounds viable imo.

and nice sig.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
K 2 saying that he sucks at Melee and that's why he plays Brawl was funny. But then when he said he played Brawl because it lets everyone be good, I got angry.
Well it IS easier to pick up and play. Plus with these codes Brawl would be so much more balanced and give characters like Ganon a fair fight against MK, think about the impact this could have on the metagame.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Someone7 for being a complete ignoramus.
Like I care what someone still in puberty thinks about my post.

No one cares what you personally do and it doesn't matter what fans of Melee 2.0 do, it just will never be used in Brawl tournaments because it isn't Brawl.
The whole point of saying "just play Melee" most certainly is telling me what to do with Brawl. I'll modify the game however **** well I please. And if someone wants to host a hacked Brawl tournament, that is their business.

I've never been to a Brawl tournament where they were playing Guilty Gear instead of Brawl, if you want to have a Brawl tournament, play Brawl.
If people wanna host hacked Brawl tournaments, that is their business.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
1) Yes, that is true, but it is only for certain Brawl codes (the L-Canceling, S-Canceling, and Wavedashing codes not being the ones that cause it). No other game has these issues. And even then, you can backup your save data with Gecko OS 1.07's rebooter feature as a safe measure. As I said, codes don't brick your Wii, corrupting a save file is completely different from bricking. :p

2) They don't have to install the .wad files though, if all you're in it for is using codes then you won't have any mind to use .wads. Unless you truly wanted to get older games for free, at which point, you need to check if it's legitimate, safe, and other people have used it before.
I wasn't trying to imply that using these codes is (currently) unsafe. But you have to let people know Nintendo does know about the Twilight Hack and such things as trucha signed files and they have taken active measures against this stuff. I don't think Nintendo will pull a Micro$oft on us, but you never know.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
I don't think you understand what I'm saying, Someone7.

This thread is about using the hacks in Brawl tournaments. I am saying that a hacked version of the game is not the game created by the developers and therefore cannot be used by definition.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well from my standview, i'd say the wavedashing and L-cancelling hacks aren't going to be a tournament standard, sure tourneys may hold the" hacked" version of Brawl, but standard Brawl will always be the primary stardard before anything.

zxeon

Smash Lord
And yea looking at ppl like K2 proves that the overall level of maturity in the Smash community has went downhill.
All the people who sucked at Melee now want a piece of the smash pie because they think they are good at a game that sucks and holds thier hand, and they want it to stay that way.

The couterstrike argument won't work because these philistines don't know what the hell it is.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Some kid calling him self K 2 on page one just said,and I quote "wavedashing is rather useless, beyond looking cool".......

How about you come back from whatever planet your on YOU FOOL!
It's POSSIBLY the most usefull spacing,chasing,edgegrabbing and mind game tool possible.It opens up a world of mauverability,combo potential and unpredictability.YOU ARE AN IDIOT!and your sig is not funnyAm I the only one who thinks that adding stuff to games to make them more playable,deep,technical is a good thing?

I am all for hacking brawl to the max.If you dont want to thats fine,just know you'll be missing out on a more awesome version of brawl.

Also if the no tripping code is implemented then all hacks should be legit.All mods or no mods,you can't use just one because it takes one extremely stupid design flaw out of the game.Tripping is a part of brawl so turning it off wouldn't make it brawl now would it?No it makes it brawl 1.1.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
I'm not challenging what you said zxeon, I am just having trouble understanding what side of the argument you are on. You aren't making much sense.

Top Bottom