• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If this thread gets over 100,000 replies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Could it not also be you start one mile north of the south pole; you go one mile south and reach the pole, you can't go east because the only direction you can go is north, so then you just go north again and end up in the same spot?

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Okay I have a new one:

I have created a new planet. It is a perfect sphere. Now the bottom hemisphere is all land. The top hemisphere is all water.

Is this a lake in the middle of land or an island in the middle of a sea? I want you to explain your answer.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
This is how I see it:

If it is a lake, you should be able to walk all the way around the water while remaining on land while if it is an island you should be able to sail all the way around the land without having to step on it. However, your planet does both of these but they are not mutually exclusive, despite first impressions. The land is an island and the water is a lake, both completely surround the other. For an analogy, fold your arms across your chest; the right supports the left but the left also supports the right.

Is this the answer you were looking for?

Mr.Smash

Smash Apprentice
You are in a room and there is a 100 foot high wall separating you from a desk with three bulbs on it. There are 3 switches next to you. You can only go around the wall once, how do you determine which bulb goes to which switch. I'll post a picture for coherence.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
This is how I see it:

If it is a lake, you should be able to walk all the way around the water while remaining on land while if it is an island you should be able to sail all the way around the land without having to step on it. However, your planet does both of these but they are not mutually exclusive, despite first impressions. The land is an island and the water is a lake, both completely surround the other. For an analogy, fold your arms across your chest; the right supports the left but the left also supports the right.

Is this the answer you were looking for?
Very nice try, very philosophical but I'm sorry no. There is a geographically sound answer.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
sea  /si/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the salt waters that cover the greater part of the earth's surface.

It's land with a lake. A sea covers a more than half a planet?

(I have no idea)

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Then I would guess it's also land with a lake, but for a different reason: the water has land beneath it. If an island is something with water covering all sides, the water doesn't surround it from beneath.

Mr. Smash, don't fret... I'll get to your riddle soon...

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I was thinking turn one on. Go around to see which it is. Then smash one that's off. Go back. Turn the one off and try another switch. If you saw any light at all you win. I'm going to have to think on this one.

Now that I think about it. They are sitting on a desk, how is power getting to them?

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Do you know if they (switches and bulbs) start off or on or are randomly flipped. Also, is it labeled on the switches which side is on and off? Or are they all irrelevant?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Hmm.... Let one stay on for 3 years so it burns out then leave that switch on and turn on switch two. Go around and look. See which one is lit. That one is switch 2. Take that bulb and put it in a different socket. If it lights then that is switch one. If it doesn't that is switch 3.

I'm about 99.9 percent sure that's not the answer you want but I can't think of anything.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Turn two of the switches (A and B) on and leave them on for a while. Turn one of them off (A)and go look at the bulbs. The light that is still on is B, the bulb that is off but is still hot is A, and the bulb that is off and cool is C.

Is that the answer?

Edit: Why did you have to go post the answer a minute before me! Ugh!

Here's a riddle:

In a village live the Klabbermen, who are very, very small. Each Klabberman wears a pointy hat that is one of two colors; red or green. But the Klabbermen aren't very self conscious and don't even know what color hat they are wearing and would never tell another Klabberman what color hat they were wearing. Once each year, a man visits their village to count them and every year when he arrives the Klabbermen seperate themselves into two groups, each with the same colored hats. How can they do this without talking or motioning to each other what color hat the others have?

Mr.Smash

Smash Apprentice
You are correct but you made it more complicated than neccessary. Leave one on for 10 minutes and then turn on another. Go around and feel the two lit bulbs. The hott on is the first switch, the lit one is the second, and the off one is the third.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Here's a kinda riddle. gotta be sharp:

A King wages war against another kingdom, and now needs more Men to fight. He is sexist and doesnt want women to fight.
He decides to make a new rule to have more men in his kingdom.
He decrees that a couple may have children until they have a girl. Then they must stop. If they get a guy, they can have another baby.

How will this affact the proportion of male/female in the kingdom?

to answer Virgilijus, how small are they? can the man see the color of their hats? is "the man" a Klabberman?

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
I magine the female aspect of the kindgom would grow quite quickly since all the men are being sent off to die and as soon as a couple have a girl they can't have any more kids. Depends on what kind of time scale you're looking at.

Virgilijus: Looking in a mirror?

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Virgilijus: The man is color blind so he only see's klabbermans with grey hats.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Annoying: They are about two feet tall. The man can see the color of their hats distinctly and he is not one of them.

BloodBowler: They would be offended to look into a mirror in order to see their own hat.

Riciardos: The man isn't colorblind, so he could winnow the green from the red if the need arises (but he is just there to count them, he does nothing else)

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Tipo Master: No, the man does nothing to help sort them out.

As for the riddle about the Kings men:

There is an increase in women (given the probability that having a boy or girl is fifty-fifty). If a husband and wife have one child, it's an equal chance it is a boy or girl. Say they plan on having two kids, chances are it will be one boy and one girl. If the boy comes first, the girl will follow leaving the total males in the family at two and the total females at two. However, if they have a girl first, the boy isn't born leaving one male in the family and two females. In order for there to be the same amount of men as women, each family would have to average two boys first for every girl first which is 66% probability, not 50%. So, there is an increase in women.

Is that the answer?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
They make groups based on something else? Like all the boys have red hats, and all the girls have blue hats. They sepperate into boy/girl groups and the hats were coincidental.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
I'm going to post thoughts and notes as I read through the game. So this post will be jumbled, but hopefully will have some good ideas to encourage discussion.

frozenflame voted agentli early on day one for suggesting no lynch, which is a point in his favor.

tails votes no lynch on the grounds that "This is my first game and I don't want to mess up on the first day." By contrast, Marshigio points out that no lynch is usually bad day one.

After I mention the nameclaim, frozen agrees. DiamondFalcon and tails are unsure about it, and camo-man thinks it's good. agentli is against it. Marshigio points out that it may be difficult to actually pull off. ZMan says nothing, but when asked says he's against it. DiamondFalcon later says it can be helpful.

agentli plays the emotional defense card (87, somewhat in 103).

camo-man is concerned with SideEffect still keeping a vote on him. Marshigio and agentli say something similar.

commonyoshi says he'll go with the majority in the name claim.

camo-man is still concerned with a vote on him. At this point, I really don't see what the issue is. One vote early in day one shouldn't be much of a big deal, especially if it was random.

agentli proposes some BS scenarios (for example, some involved 3-4 nightkills, while there was only one) that make the mass name claim look bad. I later refute most of these points.

GotMink says the plan relies too much on luck. It seems to me like he was influenced by agentli's arguments.

agentli says that town power roles should lie about their roles. This is a bad argument; it seems like he is just trying to cause chaos.

Bahamut posts, and disagrees with a roleclaim, even though the idea is a nameclaim. He then points out the similarities, and still disagrees.

GotMink claims a post restriction limiting him to 25 or fewer words, no double posts. <--To be honest, I missed this the first time around. I want to see what his claimed role is and see if this is related.

SideEffect catches up and votes no lynch, while being against the massclaim. After a couple of long posts by agentli and frozen, he later says he would be for it.

Kujirudo catches up, votes no lynch, and agrees with frozen.

GotMink inquires about my vote still on him. At first, I was suspicious of camo-man for doing this, but it seems that people just have a habit of being overly concerned about a lone vote on day one. He also later states his view as "for it if everyone else is."

I'm kinda tired now, so I'll pick up this re-read tomorrow. Reminder to self: I left off at the top of page six.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Mmm, after I read that list I went back myself in the topic to make a small list of notes myself. I won't post it since thedocsalive has a diffrent order then me.

Anyway, I smashed my head against the wall now I saw agentli his posts. I should have noticed it because when I look at it now, it was so obvious that he would be a mafia. Making the BS scenario, trying to let the townies lie about their roles etc. Gah, I should have read those posts more carefully when I came back from my holiday.

shiekmyster

Smash Cadet
Can i call them something else? i dont feel like typing that man thing out..ima call em guys

so the guys dunno what they have on top? or do they? if they do, they can see whos going where and just go with thier color..? im stumped..but ill get it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom