• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there is ever a balance patch, what changes would you like to see on Samus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I've noticed that Samus has a lot of problems in this game unfortunately and that she could use several changes, I'm just going to list two I have at the top of my head: Make her Jab an actual inescapable combo and make her Bombos explode on contact, also to allow Samus to cancel her Bomb Jump animation.

caldw19940

Smash Cadet
I personally feel she's still relatively solid overall so far but only with some slight niggly things that are awkward.

As for changes, more hitstun on her jab would be fair enough, I don't know how many times I've just tried and hoped for jab >jab to combo only to get grabbed or punished for it. Being punished on HIT is dumb. I'd personally like her nair to have a slightly larger hitbox that covers a bit more of her body rather than just her leg so it has a slight downward hitbox more around her waist area OR give the first kick slightly faster startup so that it's a bit of a less telegraphed poke and a better GTF off me move like her old nair.

Savez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9913-3965
Yeah, a jab that combos and maybe a better roll would be amazing but I don't think it'll ever happen

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Just give her her brawl zair and dair, make her jab safe on hit, and she'll be fine for me.

Edit: Oh right, and explode-on-hit bombs to make her down-b a bit more versatile.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Just give her her brawl zair and dair, make her jab safe on hit, and she'll be fine for me.

Edit: Oh right, and explode-on-hit bombs to make her down-b a bit more versatile.
I was about to say all of this, but you did it for me. :p

I like Samus quite a lot in this game, but I do think she's just lacking a few things that would really improve her quality of life. Her power budget, compared to other characters, just hasn't quite been met with what she's got right now. :ohwell:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I was about to say all of this, but you did it for me. :p

I like Samus quite a lot in this game, but I do think she's just lacking a few things that would really improve her quality of life. Her power budget, compared to other characters, just hasn't quite been met with what she's got right now. :ohwell:
I tried using Zair the same way I did in Brawl and it was not as effective. I try to SH it but it seems I can't hit my target consistenly. Doesn't help that online I sometimes have a split second delay when inputting moves.

link2702

Smash Champion
give her missles less ending lag, make em more like brawl's where she can missile cancel again. Also give the default ones better homing ability and a bit more knockback.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Some little things I think would give more quality of life to Samus if Nintendo ever does consider balance patching (doubtful but still):

- Fix her jab combo problems and make it safe to use
- Get rid of the stupid whatever that makes grounded meteors so easy to tech out of (for her Utilt & Dair)
- Contact box on bombs (pretty much a universal agreement)
- Improve the tracking and give a bit more knockback to homing missiles
- If she can't get back her autocancel for missile cancelling then just reduce the end lag to make firing 2 on the ground better

I could go into the fixes Nair needs to be usable but I won't. These are the top 5 things I feel would make Samus feel overall well designed and capable.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I'd like to see her multi-hit moves suck characters in a bit better like they do with other characters. I mean Samus' uair is pretty much the same as Shiek's, but its not nearly as guaranteed to finish like hers. Same with fair, up b, and even her jab. These are the things I personally feel hurt her the most.

She also needs her sex kick back, there are so many times where a lingering hotbox would have saved me some grief it isn't even funny.

Last edited:

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
  • Increase jab 1's hit stun to guarantee a combo into jab 2.
  • Increase Super Missile knockback.
  • Increase Super Missile knockback growth.
  • Reduce Super Missile recovery period.
  • Make bombs explode on contact with opponent.
  • Change hit properties of Screw Attack to make it more difficult to escape.

Last edited:

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
  • I'd like for Samus to crawl, for one thing. Other characters like ZSS and Bowser of all people can crawl, Metroid still can't crawl though.
  • It seems like her Grapple is like it was in previous games in one aspect. The beam can only grapple when it is extending. The instant the beam stops moving forward, it can't grab anyone anymore. The Grapple overall can act a bit wonky at times, so that might need some fine tuning. Samus' grab is a lot better than Link's grab though, and miles better than the Grapple in Brawl.
  • I know some people are having problems with this, but I sometimes can't Z-Air and grab the ledge, I N-Air instead, which is weird.
  • It would be nice if at least the Super Missiles could kill again like in Melee. The missiles have almost no threat anymore, despite the Missiles being one of Samus' most damaging weapons in the Metroid games.

djKun

Smash Rookie
-Bomb - explodes on contact. Or shorter fuse. At least allow me to bomb climb (thats asking for too much really...)
-After bomb in mid-air, suspend in the air just a little bit more.
-For god sakes fix Jab Jab.
-Shorter roll by a few frames (overall).
-Missile recovery shorten by 1 or 2 frames
-Morph Ball crawl

That's all I'm asking.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
The only changes I want that I can see them patching in are (maybe) added knockback to super missiles and (more likely) for her jab to actually combo. However, I would love to see:

-Morphball crawl (Why does she not have this yet?)
-Shorter roll animation (The Other:M dodge rolls, instead of the Morphball)
-Old N-Air back, IMO the new one is useless
-Swap D-Tilt and D-Smash (In addition to making D-Tilt cover both sides and have increased damage/knockback)
-I would love a new jab (Maybe something like Palutena's? IDK)
-Strong blows at the end of U-Air and F-Air (Like Sheik U-Air)

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Give her the sex kick back, reduce ending lag on missiles, and make bombs explode on contact(though with custom moves bombs 2 pretty much fixes this)

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
-Increase Super Missile knockback, damage, and take away the BS 1-missile restriction.
-Morph Ball Crawl. Seriously, how was this still overlooked?
-Jab.
-Fix the screw attack's final hit power inconsistency.
-Remove sourspot D-air. Why fix something 4 games late when it wasn't broken?
-Let us charge up charge shots in midair.
-Usefull roll, kthx.

The thread is sounding like a broken record, but at least that means we all agree on something.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Jab not being punishable on hit, morph ball crawling and bombs that explode on contact are all that I feel the need to mention. :) I actually really like her new Nair and the Dair sourspot makes it more satisfying to land (and the sourspot can KO anyways).

Last edited:

Jones534

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-1162-9738
With the new update samus dair spikes reguardless of how you hit them.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Have you tested this? I can't do it myself right now but this seems unlikely to me.
It's not true. Either he read that somewhere or didn't test thoroughly enough. The sour-spot hitbox still exists and causes horizontal knockback.

Last edited:

Jones534

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-1162-9738
It's not true. Either he read that somewhere or didn't test thoroughly enough. The sour-spot hitbox still exists and causes horizontal knockback.
Yeah sorry for the false info. Right after I posted this I saw that the sour spot was still there but it still seems as though her dair has improved.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I agree with a lot of the above statements, fix Jab combo, remove sourspot on Dair, bombs activate on contact, missiles suck, etc.
Also would like:
-Dsmash should be a viable kill move. I don't mind the new knockback properties, and it doesn't have to be killing below 100%but c'mon, the power behind it is laughable in its current state.
-Faster U-tilt, so it can be a more viable anti-air
-wider hitbox for Upsmash
-Less ending lag on Fsmash
-More damaging F-tilt, and more damaging attacks in general
-slightly faster fall speed

Kinda got nit-picky, but I am actually having a lot of fun with Samus lately. But I'm still finding plenty of issues

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
I agree with a lot of the above statements, fix Jab combo, remove sourspot on Dair, bombs activate on contact, missiles suck, etc.
Also would like:
-Dsmash should be a viable kill move. I don't mind the new knockback properties, and it doesn't have to be killing below 100%but c'mon, the power behind it is laughable in its current state.
-Faster U-tilt, so it can be a more viable anti-air
-wider hitbox for Upsmash
-Less ending lag on Fsmash
-More damaging F-tilt, and more damaging attacks in general
-slightly faster fall speed

Kinda got nit-picky, but I am actually having a lot of fun with Samus lately. But I'm still finding plenty of issues
-Missiles don't suck.
-dair sour spot isn't that bad.
-U-tilt is too strong to be that fast.
-I like Samus's floatiness, and Samus has traditionally been floaty.

Everything else I agree with.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
-Missiles don't suck.
-dair sour spot isn't that bad.
-U-tilt is too strong to be that fast.
-I like Samus's floatiness, and Samus has traditionally been floaty.

Everything else I agree with.
-Probably should've phrased the missile thing better. Comparatively speaking, I'm not a huge fan of missiles. I still use them, and they are functional, but with no missile canceling, they are worse than they were in Brawl, and they haven't been buffed in any other way to make up for the lack of canceling.
-It's not that bad, but it's not an improvement either. IMO, it's more of an unnecessary nerf. I have not run into a situation yet where having the sourspot helped me in any way
-Up tilt is strong, but I feel like Samus needs a better/more moves to punish air approaches. I usually only land it with hard reads, so it could just be me.
-I still want her to be floaty, just a bit less.

Last edited:

Skellyton

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3394-3585-8917
Morph ball crawling, shorter fuse/ explode on contact bombs, bigger Nair hitbox, more knock back on downsmash, have jab draw opponent in more so they can't hit you while you are hitting them, able to charge in mid air (seriously why can Samus not do this!?) This is highly unlikely, but the boost ball would be sweet (like in PM). On a side note, why isn't the PED suit an alt costume for Samus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom