• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If some tournaments start enabling Auto L-Cancelling, how would you feel?

fsck!

Smash Cadet
no, my objective is to point out that your logic sucks.

if it's scrub central, show up and steal their money.

but you can't do that because they'll be on even footing with you now? why's that?

oh, auto lcancelling? you're not going to be a better player due to a better neutral, understanding spacing better, or having a better punish game. your ability to pick up on their patterns quickly and catch yourself before you start getting too obvious with your own is now meaningless?

or does auto lcancelling suddenly make all of that the same, as well?
You're literally making up scenarios that you know don't apply to my argument in an attempt to belittle it, ignoring that I've already said that I'm fine with events like this existing (though, not directly I do admit.) I don't see how that's not trolling your opinion around, but ok.

No. I don't think it magically makes players so much better that they can beat me, just because I'm comfortable in my assessment that they likely don't 100% L cancel normally. My gripe is that I do not believe it's fair for a TO to decide to give everyone a handicap and still try to claim the event as competitive. Relatively, I won't participate in an event like that, and expressed my disinterest. I also don't think any differently of anyone who would like to see/participate in events like this. If you find it fun, more power to you. I won't be joining you as a competitor.

edit: re-worded to be less standoff-ish and to not appear to answer questions that weren't asked. IRL is getting to me and I'm taking stress out in the wrong places.Upon further review, I was mistaken with trolling remarks, but I will leave the previous posts unedited for archival sake of the conversation

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
trolling isn't pointing out flaws in logic and using examples for such. you were saying it would be scrub central, which should mean easy wins. if it's easy wins, then you're being disingenuous if you don't want to roll up and take the win and the money.

so, scrub central or nah? if it's not scrub central, then why not?

this is the logic that was being worked off of. if it's not scrub central, then there's more to being a scrub than missing l cancels, what is it? usually, it's poor play and bad decision making. 100% lcancel rate doesn't affect this. you can beat a bad player that can lcancel 100%, it's why the "tech babies" are easy to beat. doesn't matter if you can multishine and waveshine someone across a stage 100% of the time if you make bad neutral decisions and never to your punish game. perfect lcancelling is even less of a boon, so if it's a scrub making poor decisions, you'll beat them anyway.

so, if it's not scrub central, because otherwise it's a free win for you and free money (and this is assuming you're not going out of your way for the tournament, since that would no longer be free money), then what's the issue? are you worried that you won't actually beat the scrubs?

this is where it led to. if they're bad players, you'll beat them anyway. it doesn't matter that they can lcancel 100% from the game mode.

if you're worried about a "handicap", then you're probably not a better player at that point. literally the only thing it does is make all of their aerials lcancel properly. they'll still make the same decisions, they'll still miss techs unintentionally, they'll still approach predictably, and will always roll center stage (or behind you or away from you or whichever variant of bad rolling they happen to have).

the crux of the game is not "look at how good my lcancelling is". it's "look how good my decision making is." lcancelling isn't a decision and it can't be interacted with in any meaningful way (there's no fail window, so it can be spammed to prevent missing; shield angling isn't as potent and there's no light shielding to further attempt to force mistakes).

so, when i'm saying that literally the only difference is that they get 100% lcancels vs not, this is why. and when i say that if you can't beat them because they can lcancel perfectly via the game setting it's because of you and not because of the game setting, it's because there's no decision making difference.

scrubs won't suddenly say "oh, i can lcancel perfectly now. better stop teching to center stage 100% of the time now!" and perfect lcancelling doesn't change predictable and easily baited approaches. or terrible attempts to bait an approach that get counterpunished.

it's not trolling, it's pointing out bad logic.

however, it seems you're really saying "it rubs me the wrong way and i don't like the way it (figuratively) tastes." and that's cool. i've been playing smash since 64 and figured out lcancelling when it was made apparent in melee. i've been doing that input for such a ridiculously long time that i would try to input in brawl. i'll probably never stop with the input, it's too hard grained. even when i was playing with my brother who wasn't so great so i turned autocancel on, i still input my lcancelling.

i can feel you on just wanting to do the input. but don't pretend it's because it makes you any better at the game. your better decisions are what makes you a better player, not having to not worry about an input that has minimal counterplay and no decision to it.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
however, it seems you're really saying "it rubs me the wrong way and i don't like the way it (figuratively) tastes." and that's cool. i've been playing smash since 64 and figured out lcancelling when it was made apparent in melee. i've been doing that input for such a ridiculously long time that i would try to input in brawl. i'll probably never stop with the input, it's too hard grained. even when i was playing with my brother who wasn't so great so i turned autocancel on, i still input my lcancelling.

i can feel you on just wanting to do the input. but don't pretend it's because it makes you any better at the game. your better decisions are what makes you a better player, not having to not worry about an input that has minimal counterplay and no decision to it.
Basically this is it. I just don't like the way it tastes. I never intended to make it sound like "Because I do it for real I'm better." I also feel that there's going to be a few people in the area raking in easy money at an event like this, not just me, and since I don't want to play with that setting in the first place, I don't feel any money I'd (potentially) make would be worth the time investment. I could be doing something I'd find more enjoyable, like PSO2 or watching OoT speedruns.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
It seems that he is not saying that he will LOSE because of the handicap, but he instead is bothered by the principle of the rule and thus the integrity of the tournament. That is a perfectly fine reason to not like something.

As for it effecting the integrity of the tournament, I don't think that is a fair statement, and that is what CORY is getting at. L-cancelling does not do much by itself in the grand scheme of things. Your opponents can still lack wavedashing movement, dashdance tactics, short hop consistency, and any advanced tech, AS WELL AS spacing, decision-making, reaction time, mindgames, and the ability to detect patterns. Furthermore, L-cancelling is just tech and has no decisions attached. There aren't even degrees of L-cancelling to worry about overriding with its removal, no nuance that is lost.

When it comes down to a tournament, theoretically everyone L-cancels already. Some people might screw up, of course. Is that worth all of the people who could participate in "everyone L-cancels" if it were made automatic? I don't think so.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Basically this is it. I just don't like the way it tastes. I never intended to make it sound like "Because I do it for real I'm better." I also feel that there's going to be a few people in the area raking in easy money at an event like this, not just me, and since I don't want to play with that setting in the first place, I don't feel any money I'd (potentially) make would be worth the time investment. I could be doing something I'd find more enjoyable, like PSO2 or watching OoT speedruns.
cool, man. i feel you, then. sorry for making it a bigger deal than it needed to be.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Before they disbanded, the PMDT gave us one final gift.

The ability to argue about L-Cancelling forever.

Thy gift will not go wasted.

m0NtÉ

Smash Rookie
Generally speaking, the only issue I would see with Auto-L-Cancel is that it deprives the game of punishes on missed L-cancels, so slight loss of depth there. But the lowering of the skill floor holds the potential to allow newer players to enter our community and be more viable right off the bat, encouraging them to stay and keep contributing. And to be honest, that's what PM really needs right now. With the recent unfortunate events taken into account, the best hope for our game is to rally and grow an even stronger community to support future generations of PM players, and auto L-cancelling could potentially go a long way to help with that. That being said, in order for this shift to work, we are going to need some larger tournaments to go out on a limb with this (like EVO did for Sm4sh customs) and put this to the test.

recme

Smash Cadet
NNID
recolorme
3DS FC
4871-4881-3739
im fine with automatic l canceling. its just an extra input that is kinda dumb, really. i just wish there was an option of turning manual or automatic for individual players, even though that would be a problem too...

D

Deleted member

Well, I've decided that if I decide to host any Project M tournaments in the future it will be mandatory to be used. I feel it's the perfect compromise between both fanbases, Melee and Brawl/Smash 4 to make the game more approachable and focus on the more important aspects of the game. Something that involves true interaction between two players and removes this artificial wall that I find to be an archaic and honestly, anti-competitive design.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Well as someone who partially mains kirby, I find it useful not to L-cancel because it allows me to duck a lot more things after my aerial than if I L-cancelled. Having L-cancelling gives me a choice.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Well as someone who partially mains kirby, I find it useful not to L-cancel because it allows me to duck a lot more things after my aerial than if I L-cancelled. Having L-cancelling gives me a choice.
Is there some reason you can't just do both? L-cancel and then duck?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
as an overall fact of the matter: it's never happening because people are so strongly against it happening. there's a whole lotta genuine discourse you can have over it (as even melee players have done for years), but people will get mad at you for it, even if it's sorta silly and meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I never understood it, absolutely horrid emotions everywhere over such a boring bit of execution, when we have a million other ways we can up our own actions per-minute

to try and get some other, more useful discussion: how does auto l-cancelling affect scenarios where you can instead get an instant cancel, like ledge-cancelling and whatnot?

xquqx

Smash Apprentice
to try and get some other, more useful discussion: how does auto l-cancelling affect scenarios where you can instead get an instant cancel, like ledge-cancelling and whatnot?
I'm bad so I don't have a ton of first hand experience, but I'm fairly certain that there's no effect on those scenarios. Someone else should double check that though.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Is there some reason you can't just do both? L-cancel and then duck?
no, but part of my strategy is to not l cancel and then press the c stick as fast as I can so the fsmash can come out as soon as it can.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
i will NEVER attend this tournament because:

- It(lcancel) DO have a strategic value since i often chose to waveland instead of lcanceling
- I really like the skill=rewards simple but relevant mecanic , i want and like to have to perform a tricky input (that many pro players sometimes miss) in order to benefit of a fast land so i could perform a combo or defend myself.
- auto-Lcancel is free air-combo/juggle for all without any real condition and that's not competitive to me.

thank you.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
i will NEVER attend this tournament because:

- It(lcancel) DO have a strategic value since i often chose to waveland instead of lcanceling
- I really like the skill=rewards simple but relevant mecanic , i want and like to have to perform a tricky input (that many pro players sometimes miss) in order to benefit of a fast land so i could perform a combo or defend myself.
- auto-Lcancel is free air-combo/juggle for all without any real condition and that's not competitive to me.

thank you.
So would making it hard be beneficial?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Point one: that doesn't make sense. If you were going to wl out of an aerial, lcancelling (and thus, auto lc) has no impact. If you were going to lcancel, you wouldn't:t have been able to wl out of it. They're literally mutually exclusive.

Point two: so it makes you feel better? Ok, that's fair enough. Not being sarcastic, that's a legit point.

Point three: how is it free, tho? You still have to know your spacing, know your opponent's di decision (most of the time), know what options you have for a juggle or combo, everything. Not having to hit one input, only if you were to land during the aerial, doesn't make the string free afterwards.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
So would making it hard be beneficial?
Only if it goes with the proper reward

Point one: that doesn't make sense. If you were going to wl out of an aerial, lcancelling (and thus, auto lc) has no impact. If you were going to lcancel, you wouldn't:t have been able to wl out of it. They're literally mutually exclusive.

Point two: so it makes you feel better? Ok, that's fair enough. Not being sarcastic, that's a legit point.

Point three: how is it free, tho? You still have to know your spacing, know your opponent's di decision (most of the time), know what options you have for a juggle or combo, everything. Not having to hit one input, only if you were to land during the aerial, doesn't make the string free afterwards.
first of all, thanks for your gentle and polite answer, so i will try to anwer so will can build somethiing from this ...

point one, Ok you got a point.
point two, No comment.
point three, Ok you got a point.
So what do we have in the end, my SkillForReward mecanism argument. And i hink is enough valuable to make all my point.

I am not bounded and i play many other 2D-fighting games. As far as i have looked at the auto-l-cancel question, The real problem was all about the lcancel frame window, precisly about the absence of loosing frame. Since, it is possible to press several in a row the Z/L/R after an areal in this window to perform the lcancel AND THAT IS LESS COMPETITIVE AND SKILLED-FRIENDLY.
BUT LCANCEL IDEA ITSELF IS A GREAT IDEA, and the fact that poeple against it fight for it whole cancelation instead of it improvement radicalize many other.THAT WAS THE REAL ISSUE IN THE QUESTION.
THE MAIN DEBATE SHOULD HAVE BEEN, "ADDING LCANCEL AUTOMATIC MISSING FRAME".
All PMDT wish was to make a competitive and balanced fan-service mod. And just as the parry in StreetFighter3 or the RomanCancel in GuiltyGear, Lcancel existence goes in the right direction.
WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER DEBATE ABOUT LCANCEL TOTAL CANCELATION.

But there comes the argument about how it scares the new players, that has no value since everybody was new to the game before and lcanceling is so pleasant because you really feel how worhty is to succes a combo.
Then from how at least it should be able to have an auto mode...we are about to play without lcancel by default ..
And now this is all a mess that makes me sad since we can not go back in time and PMDT is over.

But a point stays, a so logic and obvious thing: there is a landing animation wich is logic (even not existing in most of others games), landing animation causes landing-lag wich is still logic then if you wish to avoid this lag you should pay a price -period.
Saying anything against this WOULD mean landing animation and landing lag are irrelavant wich is not true. other fighting games made their choice and smash made his own in melee an it is beautiful and makes totally sense.
Lcancel is a brillant oportunity that has its price if you want to be exempt from the logic lag of landing animation, no matter how much the input have to be perform it will always make sense.

thank you for reading me.

Last edited:

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
If auto L-cancel was implemented I would hate it, because as a kirby main, there are some moves where I don't utilize the L-cancel. Dair for example; and kirby has attack frames on the lag. So L cancelling at that time reduces the amount of attack frames. So I don't get the freedom to utilize my cancels when I want to. There are times, when the lag helps, and when it is automatically done for you it is pretty annoying.
Just my opinion :3

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Only if it goes with the proper reward

first of all, thanks for your gentle and polite answer, so i will try to anwer so will can build somethiing from this ...

point one, Ok you got a point.
point two, No comment.
point three, Ok you got a point.
So what do we have in the end, my SkillForReward mecanism argument. And i hink is enough valuable to make all my point.

I am not bounded and i play many other 2D-fighting games. As far as i have looked at the auto-l-cancel question, The real problem was all about the lcancel frame window, precisly about the absence of loosing frame. Since, it is possible to press repeatly the Z/L/R after an areal in this window to perform the lcancel AND THAT IS LESS COMPETITIVE AND SKILLED-FRIENDLY.
BUT LCANCEL IDEA ITSELF IS A GREAT IDEA, and the fact that poeple against it fight for it whole cancelation instead of it improvement radicalize many other.THAT WAS THE REAL ISSUE IN THE QUESTION.
THE MAIN DEBATE SHOULD HAVE BEEN, "ADDING LCANCEL AUTOMATIC MISSING FRAME".
All PMDT wish was to make a competitive and balanced fan-service mod. And just as the parry in StreetFighter3 or the RomanCancel in GuiltyGear, Lcancel existence goes in the right direction.
WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER DEBATE ABOUT LCANCEL TOTAL CANCELATION.

But there comes the argument about how it scares the new players, that has no value since everybody was new to the game before and lcanceling is so pleasant because you really feel how worhty is to succes a combo.
Then from how at least it should be able to have an auto mode...we are about to play without lcancel by default ..
And now this is all a mess that makes me sad since we can not go back in time and PMDT is over.

But a point stays, a so logic and obvious thing: there is a landing animation wich is logic (even not existing in most of others games), landing animation causes landing-lag wich is still logic then if you wish to avoid this lag you should pay a price -period.
Saying anything against this WOULD mean landing animation and landing lag are irrelavant wich is not true. other fighting games made their choice and smash made his own in melee an it is beautiful and makes totally sense.
Lcancel is a brillant oportunity that has its price if you want to be exempt from the logic lag of landing animation, no matter how much the input have to be perform it will always make sense.

thank you for reading me.
I'm assuming English isn't your native language? If so sorry if I misunderstand a point you're making.

It feels like you're drawing a comparison between smash and other fighters. But, party and Roman cancels aren't analogous to lcancel.

Parry is a defensive tool used entirely to punish sloppy and predictable approaches. It doesn't really cross over well to an lcancel comparison because you can't make autoparry a thing. That would basically be autoperfect block, so you parry any attack that would connect unless you"re in another action.

Roman cancel is a closet analogy, but it's still not entirely accurate. You don't use rc in the same manner, however. If we limit rc usage to aerials, to make as close an analogue, rc cancels the entirety of the attack's animation, returning you to neutral at the point you're at at that time. So, using it in the air allows you to extend punishes or reset from a bad approach.

The closest use for rc to lcancel is baiting out a punish option after using a bad option. however, this is entirely backwards from lcancelling. You can only rc a limited amount, dependent on an external resource, you make the choice to use this resource in this way, and the opponent has the impetus to make the call on it.

With lcancelling you should (mostly) always do it, it requires no external resource, and the opponent doesn't have a (viable) way to influence it, so their best option is just to assume you're going to hit the cancel and act as such.

Further, aerials in tfg's have the same landing animations, AFAIK, so that's a constant. This puts more importance in your spacing and knowing whether or not to attack early, to beat potential air to air, or to attack late, to be as safe as possible on block.

Those two aspects are also present in smash and they're a constant, regardless if lcancel or not. Many attacks, even cancelled, can be unsafe due to poor spacing or due to hitting a shield too early because of bad timing.

And I'm rambling a lot here because I'm in mobile, making it difficult to go back and check my post, so I'll stop for now ;x

@ the Kirby players: does he really have attacks that have hitboxes only on non lcancelled landing? That's interesting, I'd assume they would work like the gnw and wolf ones do, where they occur regardless of cancel. I'll have to mess around with that later on. If so, that's honestly a perfectly valid reason to not use autocancel, IMO.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
tbh if someone came forward with the kirby frame data and showed this was true, then my mind would actually be blown that such moves were designed/made possible, and i'd completely understand.

otherwise, i find it a hard sell to say that taking out the necessity of an element of "tech skill" that actively acts as a barrier to fundamentals such as spacing and footsies is a bad thing.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
we should make l-canceling a 1 frame window that way only skilled players can win and all the scrubs will suck forever and I can validate my lack of skill meaningful game skill through excessive lab grinding and TRULY earn that glorious 17th/32 placing

If you don't see why that isn't a good idea, then you aren't capable of understanding why l-canceling as it currently is is also a bad idea.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming English isn't your native language? If so sorry if I misunderstand a point you're making.
you are assuming good.

It feels like you're drawing a comparison between smash and other fighters.
Not really, my point about this was, Lcancel is not an insanity, similar input exist in other games even if not for the same purpose or under the same condition, and the real problem is the frame window not the technic itself.

It doesn't really cross over well to an lcancel comparison because you can't make autoparry a thing. That would basically be autoperfect block, so you parry any attack that would connect unless you"re in another action.
auto-lcancel is absolutetly the same thing as auto-parry to me. I won't argue against the absence of startegic value or choice since as i have all ready say: strategic value (wheter you choose to perform it or not) is not the only relevant way to judge movement, the simple fact that a move need skill and performing it succesfull gives a reward is enough.

The only relevant issue that have ever exist about lcancel its it window frame where anyone can tap repeatedly the Z button and perfom a flawless lcancel.

we should make l-canceling a 1 frame window that way only skilled players can win and all the scrubs will suck forever and I can validate my lack of skill meaningful game skill through excessive lab grinding and TRULY earn that glorious 17th/32 placing

If you don't see why that isn't a good idea, then you aren't capable of understanding why l-canceling as it currently is is also a bad idea.
Has anyone ever talk as brilliantly as this?

But it is possible that we missed the shoot forever since pmdt is over.

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
tbh if someone came forward with the kirby frame data and showed this was true, then my mind would actually be blown that such moves were designed/made possible, and i'd completely understand.

otherwise, i find it a hard sell to say that taking out the necessity of an element of "tech skill" that actively acts as a barrier to fundamentals such as spacing and footsies is a bad thing.
anyways: https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3w5mhv/dodging_a_move_by_missing_an_lcancel/

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
That seems so, so niche though.
that's extermely interesting but i'm going to second what joe said here

while it is true, the follow-up question then becomes whether or not it defines kirby's metagame. as far as i can tell, not...really? in just this particular circumstance alone, while it's an accurate demonstration, there are a number of factors wrong with you being in the situation you're in in the first place that are easily resolved with other choices. it's not to say the situation is impossible or that it won't happen, but it's one of those "that really shouldn't happen" factors.

i'm torn on this particular demonstration because it's 12%, which matters a lot for a light character like kirby, and it does show there is one member of the cast out of 41 that capitalizes on something like this at times, but...i mean, really? it's kind of a known thing that kirby has the ability to crouch under everything as is, so it's not like this problem is going to come up all the time.

JOE!

Smash Hero
i'm torn on this particular demonstration because it's 12%,
Ignoring that particular EXAMPLE, the main take away here is that Kirby can crouch under certain attacks during the non-cancelled landing of Dair. However, this seems super niche even then as OoS options usually hit the floor too (except tall grabs) and as you said doesn't really define Kirby and seems like itd be one of those once in a blue moon type of interactions.

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
Well it's not only with kirby, intentionally not hitting an L cancel also helps you avoid shield grabs with zelda's fair and bair.
Well yes it may be niche, but still auto cancelling could affect when certain players want the lag

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Well it's not only with kirby, intentionally not hitting an L cancel also helps you avoid shield grabs with zelda's fair and bair.
Well yes it may be niche, but still auto cancelling could affect when certain players want the lag
...see, that's the definition of niche, though. the fact that something arbitrary like this could maybe affect certain players in very particular circumstances makes it very hard to use as an argument.

i mean, i'm glad you shared it because today i learned something i had no idea existed, but at the same time, i can't exactly say it's something too overly meaningful in the long run.

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
Eh, I can see both sides of the argument here.
I'm in favor of advocating auto l-canceling because manual l-canceling just raises the skill floor for no reason apart from "because Melee" which is a pretty bad reason.
Though I won't mind if it never happens, I'd prefer if it did. Newer players can get into the game faster and it speeds up gameplay faster and allows players to focus on other things apart from pressing l at the right time.

JOE!

Smash Hero
...see, that's the definition of niche, though. the fact that something arbitrary like this could maybe affect certain players in very particular circumstances makes it very hard to use as an argument.

I mean, I'm glad you shared it because today i learned something i had no idea existed, but at the same time, i can't exactly say it's something too overly meaningful in the long run.
To better put this in perspective:

There are 41 characters in the game, each with 5 L-cancelable aerials (205 total). Out of the 205, I have seen examples of 4 across 3 characters that behave differently to the point of possibly wanting to not cancel. Even then, the "dodging" is very niche in what it can avoid (especially in the Ganon example), so lets say its like a 50% chance this would work as while it may avoid shield grabs, other options like an UpB OoS or simply they happened to toss an attack that hits low as you land would circumvent this advantage.

4/205 = 2/100 * 50% = 1/100 = 99% of the time, all characters would want to L-cancel, even the examples stated with the other 3/4 aerials on the characters mentioned to benefit from not cancelling. So to me, while it is neat it is not enough of a precedent to outweigh the benefits of having all aerials auto-cancel.

Top Bottom