• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If some tournaments start enabling Auto L-Cancelling, how would you feel?

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
This game wasn't released to be played with auto L cancel on. if anyone wants to do the whole want to do that whole "honor the PMDT" You should probably play like that.
Honoring the PMDT is impossible we didn't all have the same views.

Also unlike Knux/Lynn, Auto l cancel has been in PM since like...3.02?
3.6 beta (3.6b doesn't exist)

4tlas

Smash Lord
3.6b isn't 3.6 beta? What happened to consistent naming conventions for software? =P

4tlas

Smash Lord
Well if you recall 2.6b came out after 2.6 so calling 3.6 beta 3.6b is what's inconsistant
Fair, though 2.6b coming out after 2.6 is inconsistent with typical naming conventions everywhere else.

4tlas

Smash Lord
More consistent with what?

Major.Minor.Patch is much better

The only consistency we had in our version numbers was how inconsistent they were =p
Oh I agree its better, but as far as I've seen everyone else use Major.MinorPatch

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
ALC was 3.6 beta. Input assist (3-frame buffer) is what you guys are thinking about (and imho I prefer Brawl+'s per-player adjustable buffer over PM's universal toggle, but having both that and crew battle mode would not be possible, at least to my knowledge)

Also, I can't believe I have to explain this, but it seems some of the people defending manual L-cancel don't actually know how it works, and thus don't know why ALC would have an absolutely minimal (and positive) effect on people who already L-cancel consistently.

When you hit the shield button just before landing (up to 7 frames beforehand) while performing an aerial, your landing lag gets cut in half. It doesn't get removed entirely, you don't hit L during landing lag to interrupt it, and unless you're hitting your L-cancels way too late, you're not going to suddenly start accidentally shielding on landing when playing with ALC on.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Since the thread is dying down, I'm going to ask again if anyone has attempted to run or has attended an ALC tournament. Kinda want to know how well it went or how well-received it was

4tlas

Smash Lord
I don't have any more input on running ALC tournaments at this time, but something else interesting has come up.

When debating on Reddit, someone mentioned that in PM the L-cancel window freezes during hitlag. nimigoha nimigoha tested it and confirmed it. So shield angling is moot in PM for L-cancelling?

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Should be correct. Even tested on Luigi's Mansion to get two bouts of hitlag for a single swing and the L cancel carried through both.

I never loved the shield angle argument anyway. L cancel supporters know that's not the reason (or even something we think about much, it's a very on-paper thing because getting consistent fast shield-then-angle is such a high level thing).

I like L canceling because I like pushing buttons a lot. At the end of the day, smash is very execution based. There's a lot of thought that goes into your game but it's about pushing buttons at the right time, regardless of how fast or slow you have to do it.

L canceling has an accomplishment factor too. It's a very tangible reward flow, especially with the L canceling statistic in PM. My roommate's percentage is steadily increasing and he checks it every match (as everyone should) and is always excited at high numbers.

Obviously the debate is how arbitrary that "reward" is, which has been discussed a billion times and I don't really want to get into it.

I like L canceling because I like tech skill. I like noticing myself improving. As a new player, when I found out that I could up my casual game from Melee using "tech skill", and that one of the fastest ways to speed up my game was simply pressing R right before landing aerials, it gave me an immediate goal.

I'm not saying it's what new players should be focused on, because you have people like 4tlas 4tlas who show they can get on stream without it.

But it's a simple thing that can give an initial drive.

Maybe it being "brain dead" is actually a good thing. New players don't need to learn when to use it other than "if you're landing during an aerial".

Compare that to the wavedash, which new players can tend to focus too much on when its use is incredibly more nuanced...

They're the two most common "smash techs" thrown at newbies.

I never really try to discuss this topic much but figured if I got pulled in here I may as well share my two cents :p

Bleck

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
if you like pressing buttons at the right time maybe you could get into stepmania and stop poisoning the smash community with arbitrary bull****

LightningDragon

Smash Rookie
I like L canceling because I like tech skill.
I know this has been said to death, but L-Cancelling is not a "tech skill".

If you're going by the dictionary definition of "skill", then it's a nebulous term that shouldn't be used for making an argument.

People are good because they have good fundamentals, not because they simply know how to do stuff.

I love execution heavy games, but not if said executions are nothing more than filler. And that's what L-Cancelling is. It's filler. It's not a choice you make. It's an unnecessary gimmick.

Narpas_sword

Ran a doubles bracket with ALC on, after the initial protests, and me telling them to STFU as it was a free bracket anyway, had some good matches.

Some of the lower ranked players felt like they enjoyed the game a bot more. everyone had fun, noone really noticed any difference.

Am running singles next time, for the interest of science. =D

Oh I agree its better, but as far as I've seen everyone else use Major.MinorPatch
Not in the world i work in, but whatever =p

what happens if you have your 3.0 release get 12 minor releases? and the 12th minor release has a patch?
3.121?

what about if your 3rd major release has 1 minor and 21 patches?
3.121?

I was Wanting to name the next patch 3.6.1 but we decided to stay with previous releases.
Then again, we were small and not likely to hit >10 minor or patches in one major.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Ran a doubles bracket with ALC on, after the initial protests, and me telling them to STFU as it was a free bracket anyway, had some good matches.

Some of the lower ranked players felt like they enjoyed the game a bot more. everyone had fun, noone really noticed any difference.

Am running singles next time, for the interest of science. =D

Not in the world i work in, but whatever =p

what happens if you have your 3.0 release get 12 minor releases? and the 12th minor release has a patch?
3.121?

what about if your 3rd major release has 1 minor and 21 patches?
3.121?

I was Wanting to name the next patch 3.6.1 but we decided to stay with previous releases.
Then again, we were small and not likely to hit >10 minor or patches in one major.
Sorry you're correct, what I meant was Major.Minor.Patch but somehow forgot the 2nd .

Did you notice any changes in results? I know its hard to tell with doubles.

Edit: Blech no that was so long ago, I did mean what I said. I agree with you that Major.Minor.Patch is better, but I've seen ****ty programmers call it Major.MinorPatch for years. Lately (like last decade lately) the industry seems to be improving.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

haha it's all good.

No wildy different results, but hard to tell with doubles as you said. especially as our doubles tends to be 'play with a person you like' not so much who is good.

It was my buffer to get them ok for the idea of singles though =p

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
Default Settings Modifier
* 24494A98 80000000
* 20523300 00000000
* 04523300 DEADBEEF
* 42000000 90000000
* 0417F360 00000100
* 0417F364 04000A00