If Smash debuted this year, what would be your roster of 12?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
GRimer
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
NNID
OpossumGuy
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
:ultmario:, :ultlink:, :ultdk:, :ultpikachu:, :ultsamus:, :ultfox:, :ultkirby:, :ultyoshi:, :ultluigi:, :ultbowser:, :ultpeach:, and :ultzelda: just like how it was intended originally for Smash 64. Of course I'm missing :ultkingdedede:, :ultmewtwo:, and :ultpit:who were planned as well, but I'm going off of importance in terms of what cut characters from 64 should get in first. I'm also missing :ultganondorf:, but :ultzelda: is clearly more important than him as she was intended to be in Smash 64 while :ultganondorf:was not. Of course, taking out time constraints Smash 64 would have had more fighters than 12. So there would probably be enough room for :ultkingdedede:, :ultmewtwo:, :ultpit:, and :ultganondorf: or other more important characters.

Somebody sure loves Kremlings. :)
There is no evidence pointing toward Zelda and Peach being planned for 64. The only confirmed dropped characters are Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo, and Marth.

Arthur97

Smash Lord
Well, FE only accelerated in the west because of smash to begin with, and consequently if we're talking about smash only releasing this year I'm pretty sure FE wouldn't be very dominant at all.

Additionally - Fox is much more recognizable than any FE character due to his uniqueness. The Star Fox series has also been one of Nintendo's biggest legacies for a long time - it was at the peak of technological innovation for its first release, and really defined action/arcade games with 64. I will be the first to tell you that Star Fox has been having trouble with its footing lately, but Zero released <3 years ago, and Starlink just had a major guest appearance of the whole Star Fox team in October. Miyamoto has also stated in the past that Star Fox is a favourite of his and he wants to do more with it.

(I love Fire Emblem and support their inclusion in smash by the way, I'm not a 3manyswords person)
I was operating on the assumption that FE still did well.

Miyamoto's pull might be it's greatest strength. Fox is recognizable, but I have a hard time thinking that in the current status quo, it would be seen as an all star franchise. Atlus was, after all, just a guest campaign even if handled rather well. Hopefully we'll get a new SF game that isn't a remake and revitalizes the series (it's Awakening if you will), but as it stands, I doubt if it'd make the cut.

NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There is no evidence pointing toward Zelda and Peach being planned for 64. The only confirmed dropped characters are Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo, and Marth.
Well I thought Peach and Zelda were planned, but regardless though, they should have been in the first game.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Champion
Well I thought Peach and Zelda were planned, but regardless though, they should have been in the first game.
Then you should edit your post, since if you were banking on cut characters first then there would have been room for them a lot earlier.

Also it's sad (and pretty stupid) how Dedede was the only fighter considered for Smash 64 that wasn't added in Melee.

NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Then you should edit your post, since if you were banking on cut characters first then there would have been room for them a lot earlier.

Also it's sad (and pretty stupid) how Dedede was the only fighter considered for Smash 64 that wasn't added in Melee.
I remember hearing Sakurai say in a interview that if he could have added one more character to Melee's roster, it would have been Wario. Time constraints screwed over Dedede, Wario, Pit, and possibly Diddy Kong getting in Melee. The reason I think Diddy Kong was going to be playable is because he had no trophy while other important characters in his franchise K. Rool and Dixie Kong did. I think the Rare buyout could have stopped his inclusion in Melee.

Last edited:

Vincey_Boi

Smash Rookie
The reason i would choose inceneroar over any other pokemon due to the fact that i guess if it were released this year nintendo would wanna advertize their new characters such as fire emblem did back in melee also pit and dedede because pit was planned and dedede ws also planned but also cause he would be a good representitive over meta knight due to the fact that he is a more notable character.

Rhadamanthus

Bravely Gang
Premium
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
:ultmario::ultlink::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultdk::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultmewtwo::ultshulk::ultinkling:
Ok, so this was extremely difficult to decide, but I'll go with this.
I kept most of the original 8 the same, since those series are still notable. However, I've switched Fox out for Marth. Fire emblem eclipses Star Fox in popularity and notability in recent years, so I feel it gets the spot.

The "secret" 4 were tough. Luigi is just too iconic to leave out. Mewtwo is one of the most popular Pokemon, so it can replace Jigglypuff. The other two I based on the Smash 64's other 2 secrets: franchises of lesser importance compared to the main roster. Thus, Splatoon and Xenoblade are here. F-Zero and Earthbound are long dormant these days, so I feel these newer series are good analogues.

N3ON

electric feel
GRimer
A 2019 twelve would probably be this disappointing selection.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultchrom:
:ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultinkling:

:ultluigi::ultsamus::ultincineroar::ultisabelle:

My twelve would be this:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:
:ultmarth::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultinkling:

:ultpit::ultfox::ultvillager::ultsonic:

All killer, no filler.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultkirby:
:ultsamus::ultpikachu::ultinkling::ultyoshi:
Secret 4:
:ultluigi::ultvillager::ultsonic::ultpacman:

The last spot on the first 8 was either going to be Yoshi or Marth, and I'm thinking now I probably should have gone with Marth: but Crafted World being just round the corner has probably put Yoshi slightly forward in my mind so eh

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Gonna list a stage with each (" means a stage isn't in Smash as of Ultimate 2.0)

:ultmario:: 1-1
:ultkirby:: Green Greens
:ultlink:: Great Plateau Tower
:ultdk:: Kongo Falls
:ultyoshi:: Crafted World"
:ultinkling:: Moray Towers
:ultpikachu:: Pokemon Stadium
:ultbowser:: Bowser's Castle"

Secret Four
:ultluigi:: Luigi's Mansion
:ultcharizard:: Kanto Pokemon League"
:ultwario:: Wario Ware
:ultkingdedede:: Castle Dedede"

BONUS: Bosses:
Master Hand
Petey Piranha
Ganon
King K. Rool
Marx
Mewtwo

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Journeyman
For mine, I have three fundamental rules;

1.) In this hypothetical game, there would be updates after the initial release to add more characters to please more fans
2.) There will be third parties included, with a total of two in the base 12 roster
3.) In the base roster of 12, there will only be one character per series represented as to allow as many different characters to be represented as possible.

With that being said, here’s the 8 starter characters and their explanations/stages:

:ultmario: - The face of Nintendo, no explanation needed. Stage: Mushroom Kingdom

:ultdk: - Huge Nintendo character, no-brainer. Stage: Jungle Hijinx

:ultlink: - Zelda is one of the most revered series in the world, obviously he’s here. Stage: Great Plateau Tower

:ultsamus: - Metroid is huge, another no-brainer imo. Stage: Brinstar

:ultkirby: - Sakurai’s baby, even if Sakurai doesn’t direct this hypothetical game I feel it’d be disrespectful not to include him, plus he’s a huge icon. Stage: Green Greens

:ultpikachu: - Pokemon is debatably the biggest media franchise on earth, there’s no possible way he’d EVER not be in smash. Stage: Pokemon Stadium

:ultfox: - Although StarFox isn’t quite as popular as it once was, Fox is still an icon with a ton of smash history, it’d be wrong in my eyes to exclude him. Stage: Corneria

:ultinkling: - The last starter character, Splatoon is possibly the biggest Nintendo IP to crop up in the last decade, Inkling absolutely deserves their spot. Stage: Moray Towers

Now for the 4 unlockable characters and their explanations/stages:

:ultisabelle: - Animal Crossing is a massive series, so they definitely deserve a character. Between Villager and Isabelle, I went with Isabelle who, despite not being the ‘main protagonist’ like Villager, is the overall more popular character and represents the series better imo. Stage: Town and City

:ultmarth: - For the last first party slot, it was a tough decision between Marth, Olimar, Pit, and Shulk, but I ultimately went with Marth due to FE being the biggest series of the group and for having a rich Smash history. Stage: Castle Siege

:ultsonic: - The first third party slot has got to go to Sonic if you ask me, he’s wildly iconic and his company’s history with Nintendo is such a big part of gaming history that he’s earned the spot. Stage: Green Hill Zone

:ultpacman: - The final slot... it was a super difficult decision between the remaining third parties, but I ended up with Pacman due to him being one of the most iconic figures not only in gaming, but in media as a whole; it’s undeniable he’s earned his spot. Stage: Pac-Maze

Thoughts on my choices? Share them, I’d love to hear them!

I would go off of relevancy so..

:ultmario: He always has a new game and is the mascot
:ultlink: BOTW was the thing that sold the Switch
:ultpikachu: Let’s Go, and a new gen are on Switch. He’s also the mascot of Pokémon, Nintendo’s highest seller
:ultkirby: Star Allies recently came out, plus he has been on a sales streak since Return to Dream Land

Alright, with the main four that I think everyone would keep out of the way, here comes the rest of the list...

:ultinkling: Splatoon is Nintendo’s newest successful IP that has stood the test of time (sorry ARMS), so yes Inkling would come back.

:ultvillager: Animal Crossing has exploded in popularity since New Leaf, and with a new title coming soon, he’d be a priority.

:ultmarth: Fire Emblem has taken off since Awakening and is now more consistently getting new titles so Marth can stay. It also helps that Heroes is like Nintendo’s only successful app.

:ultolimar: Pikmin is Miyamoto’s favorite franchise, so he seems to want to keep it relevant and alive. Also Pikmin 4 will be a thing soon?

:ultyoshi: Has a new game coming in March and has been getting consistent entries since Yoshi’s New Island.

:ultsamus: Prime 4 and Returns....Clearly Nintendo is trying to keep this franchise afloat.

:ultdk: Tropical Freeze was ported to Switch, making me believe that DK still has a future. Also it’s Donkey Kong of course he’d be there.

:ultfox: While his last game may have bombed, I do think it brought Star Fox back as then Nintendo loaned the franchise out to Ubisoft. Also, with rumors of Retro doing something with Star Fox, I’d say he needs to stay as Nintendo is still using Star Fox.

Kind of the same as I did with the Wii U. Toon Link, Doc. Mario (the little changes they did to them have tripped me up a bit, but I am trying to get a handle on them again) Falco, Diddy Kong, and Marth.

I want to also main Ice Climbers again, but I need a lot of practice on that. I just get decimated by anyone with them at the moment. I used them a lot during Melee and I was said they were canned for the WiiU. I know it says 12, but I really don't play any others too often to get the other half completed. I'd just be throwing ones in randomly. Maybe I should look into branching out and see who I might enjoy playing as.

:ulttoonlink: :ultmarth: :ultdiddy: :ultfalco: :ultdoc: :ulticeclimbers: