• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Nintendo could buy out any seemingly 'dead' franchise of yore to add to their stable, which one?

If Nintendo could buy out any seemingly 'dead' franchise of yore to add to their stable, which one?

• Bomberman (Hudsonsoft, now Konami)

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • Bonk (Hudsonsoft, now Konami)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adventure Island (Hudsonsoft, now Konami)

• Battletoads (Rare/Tradewest)

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Double Dragon

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Joe and Mac

• Streets of Rage (Sega)

• Virtua Fighter (Sega)

• Power Stone (Capcom)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shenmue (Sega/Ancient)

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Nights (Sega)

• Oasis (Ancient)

• Arcadia series (Sega)

• Bubble Bobble (Taito)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Actraiser (Ancient)

• Chrono Series (Square)

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Mega Man series (Capcom)

Votes: 71 61.2%

• Total voters

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I feel bad for including mega man for I feel this will make it one sided. But the fact is that Capcom really doesn't want to ever release another mega man game it counts as a seemingly dead franchise.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I feel bad for including mega man for I feel this will make it one sided. But the fact is that Capcom really doesn't want to ever release another mega man game it counts as a seemingly dead franchise.
As you said Mega Man would obviously be my number one choice, just because I'd love new games. But aside from Mega Man, I always loved Bomberman. I miss the older N64 and playstation titles. The last good game I remember playing in that series was Bomberman Land Wii but I'd love to see more attention aimed at the series now.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Mega Man is the obvious answer, it's a great franchise with classic games, has it's roots on Nintendo consoles, and it fits what Nintendo does perfectly. I want to see Chrono comeback even more but I don't think Nintendo could/would pull it off, though at the very least it's pretty much a slam dunk that a Nintendo sequel would be closer to Trigger than Cross and a lot of fans were put off by the complete change in atmosphere between the two games. I like Cross but I can see where the juxtaposition in one series can be jarring, it's part of why Majora's Mask took forever to be appreciated...and games like that receiving mixed reception initially is part of why Nintendo has become a much more formulaic developer

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'd say Banjo-Kazooie, but its not on the list.

So I guess I choose Mega Man.

I'd choose BK over Mega Man, because at least Mega Man has the Mighty No. 9 to be his Spiritual Successor. BK has absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
That makes me wish Rare would go back to Nintendo.

Mario Kart 9 - Diddy Kong Racing Too?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Neither, I'd say they should get Banjo-Kazooie back from Rare and do something with them. The poor bear and bird have been rotting ever since they left Nintendo, and the only game they did release with Microsoft was that abomination they call Nuts & Bolts.

Although I have to admit, Nintendo probably couldn't make another good Banjo-Kazooie game on their own. Only the Nintendo + Rare tag team could pull off those witty characters such as Kazooie, Mumbo, Bottles, Conker, Grunty and the like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

BOMBERMAN!
This guy was a part of my childhood and it's depressing to see nothing get done with his series after when Konami started to own the franchise. Nd Cube has some former Hudson Soft employees, I bet they can make an awesome Bomberman game! I just hope that someday, Bomberman will get a righteous and deserving revival.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
People voted for Power Stone? Cool, great game.

And the more I think about it, the more that makes a ridiculous amount of sense on a smash brothers forum.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm sorry, but this list is sorely lacking a certain bear and bird long forgotten by corporate scumbags.

In their stead, until this is mended, I'll vote for Mega Man, because that's the OTHER answer.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If I could edit the poll to add Banjo and Kazooie, I would.

Conker too.

And that damn elephant genie from Diddy Kong.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Wow, I didn't know Virtua Fighter had a release as recently as two years ago. I mean, it was an arcade port of a 2010 game, but still, that's pretty recent! Here's to hoping they make a sixth one!

On that note, anyone remember Eternal Champions? That had some awesome character designs but the most frustratingly difficult AI.

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
Yeah the whole funny animal platformer genre been pretty dead lately.

For ****s and giggles id like to see them do a Bugsy game XD

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
Maybe I'm not with the time but I miss 3D platformers. Yoshi's New Island, DKC Returns and its derivaitve, the heap of New Super Mario Bros,
I miss DK64, BK, Conkers and the like.

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
I've been wanting a new (good) crash bandicoot for a long time.

One can dream.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were pretty awesome 3d platformers, though without the over world of DK64, Banjo Kazooie, or Mario 64. Mario Sunshine had the over world and was a decent game, but not quite the same as the others. Super Mario 3d Land was amazing, but absolutely no free area over world, though honestly some of the finest 3d platforming gameplay I've ever had. Ocarina of Time and Luigi's Mansion had great free area over worlds but weren't platformers.

The Lego Series have some good fun friendly cute 3d platforming, and filled to the brim with collectibles, and Batman 2 had a great over world for it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Bomberman. This would is just a slightly darker place without those games.

I still want a Skies of Arcadia sequel, but SEGA seems more content to tease us with cameos and crossover appearances rather than an actual sequel. I doubt Nintendo would be much better about it.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Bomberman. This would is just a slightly darker place without those games.

I still want a Skies of Arcadia sequel, but SEGA seems more content to tease us with cameos and crossover appearances rather than an actual sequel. I doubt Nintendo would be much better about it.
At least he was playable in Valkyria Chronicles. If Nintendo just used him for similar cameos, I'd totally be down for playing as Vyse in Hyrule Warriors.

finalark

SNORLAX
At least he was playable in Valkyria Chronicles. If Nintendo just used him for similar cameos, I'd totally be down for playing as Vyse in Hyrule Warriors.
Vyse was playable in All-Stars Racing Transformed as well. We even got a ****ing awesome Skies of Arcadia track in the game. I'm crossing my fingers for Fia and Aika as playable charcters in All Stars Racing 3 (assuming we get an All Stars Racing 3) but knowing SEGA Vyse will get cut for more Sonic characters like Ryo was.

/fanboyrage

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I had the impulse to go to Mega Man because of the way Capcom has been treating the franchise. Although, it could irk Inafune if he wants Mighty No. 9 to take off as a spiritual successor. Or Nintendo could just buy the rights to Mega Man, absorb Comcept as an exclusive studio, and reskin Mega Man onto that Mighty No. 9 packaging.

I would love to see a third NiGHTS game be made, especially since we got Journey of Dreams on the Wii and the creator has said he is on board to develop another one. All we've been getting from that series is cameos galore and while that's all sweet, it feels like forever waiting for another one. That being said, NiGHTS has been doing fine in Sega's hands. They shouldn't underestimate the novelty of that franchise.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Very well, BridgesWithTurtles, then your challenge is to tell me which Nintendo Franchise you want to see the light of day first!

If you say anything but ice climbers you have lied to me in avatar form.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Very well, BridgesWithTurtles, then your challenge is to tell me which Nintendo Franchise you want to see the light of day first!

If you say anything but ice climbers you have lied to me in avatar form.
Well, my conscience is clear because indeed, I'd like to see Ice Climber brought back more than anything. I always thought the verticality of the game design, mixed with the unique sort of world that could be created, would make for an excellent new type of game among Nintendo's current line-up of IPs.

If I couldn't have that, then I'd just like a new Elite Beat Agents. Please, Nintendo?

I guess to stay within the spirit of the discussion, I'd say I'd like for Nintendo to buy MediEvil from Sony and do something with that. They have other series that can fulfill the same sort of role, but I just want another game in this series badly enough to not care.

finalark

SNORLAX
As far as Nintendo franchises go, I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo bring back Famicom Detective Club. I've never actually played any of the games, but I've read up on them. I have a taste for a good adventure game and enjoy the mystery genre so if Nintendo ever released a third game in the series I'm sure I would check it out.

Sadly, the games have a certain "grit" to them that I think Nintendo wouldn't want on their family-friendly image. Plus Professor Layton exists, so it would be competing with those games.

afistfulofwasabi

Smash Rookie
Having to choose between megaman and bomberman was so hard. Lol. Besides the fact that I would go crazy if Bomberman gets confirmed for smash4, would love to see both of there series come back to the surface.

waichingliu81

Smash Cadet
I'd say mega man, because capcom have done nothing whatsoever and are leaving him to rot. But I'd also add banjo & kazooie. Rare went downhill since they were bought out by Microsoft. Don't even want to know about what they did to the killer instinct game. Was it a huge seller on the 360, or hasn't it been released yet? Surprised to see sonic not on this list- . it could do with some Nintendo EAD or miyamoto magic. As for virtua fighter, it is my favourite fighting game franchise that hasn't sold very well. It's not exactly dead, but it certainly isn't as popular as tekken, street fighter.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
This poll is definitely sorely missing Banjo Kazooie. I mean come on man! lol I voted for the Chrono series however (if you can really call it one after two games) because they are amazing and I don't expect them to get as many votes. But were I able to I would also vote for Bomberman, Megaman, and Banjo (if he were actually on the list). Most of the rest I'm not too familiar with.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
All of rare's franchises, period, since Microsoft hasn't done goddamn thing to them after their obligatory ruining on their systems,
I would like to see Nintendo do something with Crash Bandicoot...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Unlike some people, I don't think that the Megaman series is dead. A hiatus, sure, but I'd list many other series dead long before Megaman. Though Capcom's got a crapton of issues that need sorting out, the Megaman series is only one of them. Having said that, I'd really be interested in how one of Nintendo's studios could handle the series. And besides, who wouldn't want a new Megaman game? I know I would want one.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
1) Banjo (Microsoft)
2) Klonoa (Namco)
3) Crash Bandicoot (Activision)

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Mega Man for sure. I still want Legends 3.

But if I am allowed to select my own franchises, I'd want to see any of the following; Banjo-Kazooie, Okami, The World Ends With You, Psychonauts, Ristar, and TimeSplitters.

Zachary the Master

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-7152-1947
You can tell from JUST LOOKIN AT MY AVATAR. Megaman was part of my childhood, an acton platformer with some puzzles too. Too bad it had to go so soon, After the SNES Megaman games, everything went downhill.

Zip.

Smash Lord
As much as id love to see another entry in the chrono series akin to Trigger, Megaman would be a much more viable selection in my opinion.

Top Bottom