• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If it is online, it will be inevitable...

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
...Fakers, anyone?

That's the first real topic I made here on Smashboards, and this point has been bugging me for a long time. Like presumably 99% of the Smash community, I hope for an Online Mode in SSBB. But with it comes the problem of newbies pretending to be pros. By Name.

What do you think Nintendo will do or should do to prevent every second noob calling himself Ken or Isai online?

The first idea that comes to my mind is obviously name registration. You register your name and name tag, and it is not available for anyone else. However, that brings up other problems. Now, what prevents the first noob to buy this game from registering the name Ken for himself? There's a chance we will see Kens and Isais and Azens duking it out before the actual Ken, Isai and Azen even bought the game.
This worked for other games because they didn't already have an established community and a great number of notable names that most advanced Smashers know. Another question would be if there is a difference between actual name and name tag, and which of them would be protected. If Online Mode would only show tags, then increasing the limit of letters would be a must. 4 letters is laughable, especially when the game is so popular. 6 at least, maybe 8-10. Or registered nicknames and smaller tags. Both fine possibilities, but the same problem remains: Noobs calling themselves after Pros for bragging rights.

A way to distinguish Pros from Noobs would be a renking system. If there are 300 Kens online, you could be pretty sure that the one at the top of the list is the real deal. However, I believe that Sakurai stated that they didn't want to implement a ranking system if they put online mode in. In my humble opinion, a ranking system would deliver a good solution to this problem. Of course it would bring a whole lot of other problems with it, but I personally could live with that.

Your input? I think it's quite a delicate topic, and one of the big hirdles Nintendo has to overcome if they want a successfull online mode in this game.

Greetz
Serp

Keige

Smash Journeyman
There are no unique names. Everyone can be Ken. And isn't the name Ken uses online "Sephirothken"?
And there are no rankings.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
There is also a topic called "Downsides of Online Gameplay", first page. This could go there. Considering a new member, you ahven't seen a lot of the online topics but if you use the search button, you'll find a lot.

Ranking system isn't a good idea, hackers, D/Cers, people could get their friends to raise their rank...also, the name doesn't matter. You aren't REGISTERED by a name, but by a Wii Number. You can put wahtever name you want. Ken might not be the best in Brawl, you enver know. He's good enough you can distinguish if it is a fake or not, but you won't register by names, so you can just slap one on as you fight, just like in Melee. You just don't see your opponent. Most of the major tournaments, I assume, will be in person. And if it became so much of a problem, the pros would have their own Wii Number info out so you know who is fake and who isn't. (Am I right about the Wii Number thing? I am a little new to the Wii...I think that's correct.)

In closing, I don't think online should be for serious play. For fighting friends you can't reach, or by people you wanted to fight on a forum, and to practice. If there is too much "online problems", just get together in person.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
@Keige:
I am aware that he goes by the name "Sephirothken". But he is more widely known as simply Ken.

@Kerocola:
Well, I am not so new, I just rarely come here xD
In case I've been misunderstood, I only mentioned Ken because he's very well known. Replace his name with every other established Pro, same thing really. Not saying that he or Isai are necessarily the best players in the world.

I hadn't thought about the Wii Friend Code (I think that's what it's called). That's a good point. Let's hope that Nintendo isn't sloppy here and actually integrates an intelligent online system that make it easy to memorize other players.

@MikeMoney:
I guess you are sarcastic. Again, I only cited Ken and Isai because of their reputation. Could be any other Pro. There are already people out there pretending to be them, so ONline will make it worse without a doubt.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Don't play them . Ken, Isai,PC, M2k,Azen,etc.(including future pros) will post there friend codes here will so we know BEFOREHAND who we play.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
Okay, then I think I've covered the whole topic. As I stated and another member, if it becomes that much of a problem, the real friend code of the pro will be posted and known.
Anyway, that's fine if you rarely come here, but just be careful before you make a topic, people can get nasty with that.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I am relieved I made this topic. I really forgot about the Friend Codes, so that thing doesn't really bother me anymore. Fakers will still exist, just as noobs and flamers, but at least competetive players will know who the real Pros are ;D

Yeah, that topic is pretty much covered. Thanks to everyone who gave a productive answer. And to be honest, it's not really one of those questions that is discussed in every second topic :D

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Guys guys relax a bit! Now I don't know about tha nickname Isai but Ken or even Sephiroth and the combination between the two are a bit common.So even though one of the best gamers in melee is called SephirothKen another smaller player could be called that long before the smash king took upon that nickname! Take for example my name! I've seen variations of my name in several different MORPGs including WoW and Lineage2. The nickname doesn't make the player,the skill does.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Ken is far from being an original name when it comes to display names in online games, sry much. We'll prolly have as much sephiroths running around.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I'll stick with Creo...
^^^^Exactly. If there is a ranking system and someone hacks to raise it, they'll just get pwnd when they have a match and not play again or just drop dramatically.
And if it's a n00b especially talking junk or something, just face them and you'll find out if they are the real deal... Don't be so worried.
(is there going to be a microphone set to talk to players online or no... I think there should be)

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
What I expect is that each player will have a screenname that could be up to, heck, 16 characters or something. Then they would just have their own name tag. So, like I, would have the screenname "HideousBeing", and my name tag would be "HIDS" or something like that. When joining a game, the screennames and the name tags display in the player slots, as everyone joins before the game begins. The character and color of each player would be displayed here as well. During the game, the screennames would not show up, only the name tags- but since each character is assigned a color in the pre-channel, you would just remember. For example: You are joining a team battle. Both players against you are Link. Both players have different screennames, but the same name tag. Both Links, however, are different colors of course (I'm assuming they won't allow the "same color" bug in Brawl). So you note which screenname corresponds with each colored Link (if it even matters) and then you know which is which during the match. So if each player had complete, up to 16 character screennames in channels, everyone would soon know which one was Ken, there being only one sreenname possible for each player.

DarkFr0g

Smash Apprentice
Dude, there won't be public usernames. Everyone you match up against in public will be "Guest" and will be completely random, like presumably in the new Strikers. It sucks, but ey, that's Nintendo.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I just want to be able to pick who you want to face in that category(Free for All, 1vs1, etc). Also, If they don't have Rank systems, they should have score displays of wins, losses, KO's, etc. If this happens, everyone will be able to face each other but if their Rank is too high you'll no not to challenge them if you don't want to.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
LoL. My name is unique! ^.^ AND I am not well known >=D FOOSHA-POW N00blets?

but to get on topic; yes... wii #'s... they will distinguish everyone where names can not.

but I ain't too worried as I won't get online for a long time due to my location.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
But maybe there will be some Mic that you can speak in...
then you could identify who you are playing
Come on not everyone can imitate their voices

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Exactly... If your online and afraid of Ken, get off online, develop your skills and challenge every Ken that stands in your way until you know the real one. Thats what I'm going to do. Destroy imposter Kens... who's with me!!

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Calm the **** down...Geez. And if that's the case, were you live sucks.(jk mildly)
I am not mad at all?

and it does suck where I live, they consider where I live the boondocks or some sort, as just 7 miles ahead they supply dsl/cable to those houses...

Can't wait to move into a dorm XD

Tera253

Smash Ace
the easiest way to tell who's the real Ken is this:
if a Marth does a shine-to-knee-to-turnip-to-needle-to-0-death combo on you, then you know it's the real Ken. (yes, Ken can really do allthat with Marth)
~Tera253~

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
But maybe there will be some Mic that you can speak in...
I'm warning you all now: Do not try and talk into me.

Besides, online's going to be for fun only, no one's gonna believe "I beat Ken on teh internets" unless Ken himself posts agreeing with it, and I doubt he'll be doing that.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure there will some way for every player online to have some difference. Someone mentioned Wii #'s. Maybe that's how each player will be unique. We would know the real Ken, buy his Wii #.

Wrath`

Smash Master
yes but if there is then people will have the felling they suck if there low,strong peeps will never play weak peeps and then weak peeps will never get better.

Basicly it zaps the fun out of it.

Sometimes i spit into my mic

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I'm warning you all now: Do not try and talk into me.

Besides, online's going to be for fun only, no one's gonna believe "I beat Ken on teh internets" unless Ken himself posts agreeing with it, and I doubt he'll be doing that.
Lol and yes thats true.(is he on these boards..?)

yes but if there is then people will have the felling they suck if there low,strong peeps will never play weak peeps and then weak peeps will never get better.

Basicly it zaps the fun out of it.

Sometimes i spit into my mic
1: I'm sure a lot of people would love to smash the n00bs like me.(still would be fun)

2: If they think they suck, tell them to play more or don't complain.

3: Thats discusting.

Top Bottom