• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If it is online, it will be inevitable...

Fawriel

Smash Master
yes but if there is then people will have the felling they suck if there low,strong peeps will never play weak peeps and then weak peeps will never get better.

Basicly it zaps the fun out of it.
Oh noes, we agree on something. D=

I'm one of those people who'd feel discouraged by the fact that 4978 people are better than me. Also, how could the ranking system possibly be accurate? I could just find myself some n00bs and keep owning them several times daily. Blam, 100% clean slate. Meanwhile Ken, as an extreme example, would play some of his top pro buddies and lose from time to time. Would he be ranked lower than me?
I wouldn't trust computers to judge anything, honestly. Considering when the game starts cheering on people in a battle..... eh.

That said, I think there should be some way to register a set name. Definitely. And it's occasions like these that I'm proud to have a perfectly unique nickname. Kekeke.

Caael

Smash Lord
The good thing with Caael is that nobody has ever used it apart from me...if somebody steals it, i'll raise hell!

Would you knot just have the namestags, like in melee? It really wouldn't be hard to distinguish the pros from the noobs.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I agree with you all the way.
I like my name Creo because no one has it either and it's my real name. I'll join you. If someone takes our names, we raise hell!

Ensee

Smash Ace
I believe if they do input Online Mode into SSBB, you will have to enter a friends Wii number to play them. I don't think they are going to spend a lot of time and make it random play mode with random people that are playing the game online.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I believe if they do input Online Mode into SSBB, you will have to enter a friends Wii number to play them. I don't think they are going to spend a lot of time and make it random play mode with random people that are playing the game online.
They darn well better. I want online so i can practice against non-cpu's. If I want to play my friends i can drive/bike/walk/get a ride tot heir house/wherever and play them there.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
it could be set up like how smo is.. someone makes a room and up to a certain amount of people in smash 4 can join rooms can have passwords so pros can only play pros and so on but who knows how it wil lreally be just wait and see :-p

HideousBeing

Smash Ace

I'm one of those people who'd feel discouraged by the fact that 4978 people are better than me. Also, how could the ranking system possibly be accurate? I could just find myself some n00bs and keep owning them several times daily. Blam, 100% clean slate. Meanwhile Ken, as an extreme example, would play some of his top pro buddies and lose from time to time. Would he be ranked lower than me?
I wouldn't trust computers to judge anything, honestly. Considering when the game starts cheering on people in a battle..... eh.

That said, I think there should be some way to register a set name. Definitely. And it's occasions like these that I'm proud to have a perfectly unique nickname. Kekeke.
They would have to do like the Warcraft III rating system. It works like this, if you don't know: You are given a level and experience, beginning at level 1 and 0 experience. Every game you play, you lose or gain experience, based on the level of the player you played against. (I don't play anything but 1vs1's, so I don't know how ffa's or team battles work.)
If you play and win, to a lower level than you, you gain a little experience.
If you plan and win, to a higher level than you, you gain a lot of experience.
If you play and lose, to a lower level than you, you lose a lot of experience.
If you play and lose, to a higher level than you, you lose a little experience.
The greater the difference in levels between players, the more extreme the experience lost or gained will be. Therefore, if you keep owning n00bs, you would gain virtually no experience. Your record could be 100-0, but your level would determine where you place in the rankings. Also, matches against computer opponents don't affect your record on Warcraft III, so Brawl could have the same feature.
I see one flaw in this setup though, a good player could create an account, beat ken, and sap a ton of points from him, and gain a bunch himself. And THAT, is why there should be matches pitted based on rank.

Freedoves

Smash Cadet
I believe ranking implies elitism. Battles should be played without pretentions. No "Crud, I'm going to be berated by this dude's 1337 tourney skills, so screw this." or "I'm gonna own these n00bz with my 1337 tourney skills, so screw this." It would damper the online experience for people picking up the game, and make crappy people out of seasoned players.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sakurai state there will be no ranking on the online feature for Brawl?

Aside from that, name labels. Just like in Melee. I believe another user has said it already, but I am supplying emphasis. But I hope they at least extend the name label to 5 characters instead of 4 so I can fit at least the first part of my name on there. o_o

Fawriel

Smash Master
You are given a level and experience, beginning at level 1 and 0 experience. Every game you play, you lose or gain experience, based on the level of the player you played against. (I don't play anything but 1vs1's, so I don't know how ffa's or team battles work.)
If you play and win, to a lower level than you, you gain a little experience.
If you plan and win, to a higher level than you, you gain a lot of experience.
If you play and lose, to a lower level than you, you lose a lot of experience.
If you play and lose, to a higher level than you, you lose a little experience.
The greater the difference in levels between players, the more extreme the experience lost or gained will be. Therefore, if you keep owning n00bs, you would gain virtually no experience.
...haha. That would be somewhat flawed, but definitely awesome in some ways.
SSBB-RPG!
n00bs = slimes and bats
intermediate = trolls and lesser dragons,
SephirothKen = SEPHIROTHKen!

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
...haha. That would be somewhat flawed, but definitely awesome in some ways.
SSBB-RPG!
n00bs = slimes and bats
intermediate = trolls and lesser dragons,
SephirothKen = SEPHIROTHKen!
by leveling up, i did not mean that would improve your character. it is in no way like an rpg. THE LEVELS ARE ONLY FOR SHOWING YOUR RANKING!!! GET IT?

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I dislike the idea of a visible ranking system. When people have a ranking they cheat, and cheating sucks. However, i'd like a hidden ranking system that works off that XP system, so that you get matched up to people with a few levels of you.

You only fight people within 1 level of you in any given direction.
100 xp to level up.
a 1 level above gives 20 xp on a win/lose 0 on a loss, on par for level gives 10/loses 5, and 1 level below you 5 for a win/-10 for a loss.

It would keep me from getting utterly *****, and if well hidden would stop cheaters.

Fawriel

Smash Master
by leveling up, i did not mean that would improve your character. it is in no way like an rpg. THE LEVELS ARE ONLY FOR SHOWING YOUR RANKING!!! GET IT?
So what makes you think I was talking about improving your characters? And more importantly, what on earth made you so upset about that? I suppose you've heard about the concept of "humor"? I was poking fun at the RPG-ish nature of that system of ranking and the fact that Ken would indeed be a sort of final boss.
If you haven't done so already, please calm down.

Also, the above idea seems pretty nice.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
They darn well better. I want online so i can practice against non-cpu's. If I want to play my friends i can drive/bike/walk/get a ride tot heir house/wherever and play them there.
It has already been said there is online somewhere.(almost positive)

The friend code would suck. I personally will fight anyone that wants to. I don't care who I fight as long it is not a cpu. They should have a random room to fight random people and a friend codes room to see if your friend is online to see if he wants to fight you.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord

The friend code would suck. I personally will fight anyone that wants to.
Do you want to fight against a n00b/scrub that thinks there the best? I rather play against all of you guys instead.

Friend codes>>>>>> rooms.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Actually, I would want to fight a n00b that is cocky.(if there is ranks)Not to boost my rank but to teach him a valuable lesson. Plus, our names will most likely be on so you will probably recognize if they are from here or not. Plus, I said the possibility if both were in so you can fight your friends(obliviously a limited amount) and randoms.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I'm not so much worried about that. Plus, modded controllers doesn't mean they are unbeatable...they will still need quite some skill.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Personally I don't care much about those details as long I can play smashers around the world.
I agree.

The good thing with Caael is that nobody has ever used it apart from me...if somebody steals it, i'll raise hell!

Would you knot just have the namestags, like in melee? It really wouldn't be hard to distinguish the pros from the noobs.
I'll raise hell too!!

I agree with you all the way.
I like my name Creo because no one has it either and it's my real name. I'll join you. If someone takes our names, we raise hell!
I've seen my name being used 3 times over different sites, I'll be pissed if that person gets it again.

I don't think random match making is hard, look at MP:H.

there will probably be rooms with peeple in them and you contact them to fight
You mean a lobby? Kinda like Kalliera's? That'd rule.

I dislike the idea of a visible ranking system. When people have a ranking they cheat, and cheating sucks. However, i'd like a hidden ranking system that works off that XP system, so that you get matched up to people with a few levels of you.

It would keep me from getting utterly *****, and if well hidden would stop cheaters.
I don't see why you are so worried about cheating, if you noticed cheating put the guy on ignore or something and move on, we can't be crippled just because of a few hackers and cheaters.

The friend code would suck. I personally will fight anyone that wants to. I don't care who I fight as long it is not a cpu. They should have a random room to fight random people and a friend codes room to see if your friend is online to see if he wants to fight you.
That sounds great.

I'm worried about lag from playing people with crappy connections or people using modded controllers. =/
They'll be lag for sure, hopefully it won't be enough to stop causal play. It would be foolish to think online will be good enough to support competitive play because 1 frame of lag is enough to screw you over, which is why I said casual play and not competitive play.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion

Games played that aren't random won't be ranked. Same way in Super Mario Strikers: Charged, and Halo 2. Otherwise people would cheat for a higher rank. So, ranks would be based off your win percentage against random opponents, which is actually quite accurate.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
To solve ALL problems they need to do this :

When you try to go online it says " Please register Friend Code"

Ok, So you register your friend code to a certain unique name. Then once you get into the game you can use any tag you want ... but your friend code will still have a unique game. Whats the point of assigning a name to a friendcode? We'll .. to be honest, i feel like friendcodes are stupid because they are long forgettable numbers, if you could have a name affiliated with the number, itd make things alot easier.

Anyway .. with the ranking system .

I REALLY would love there to be a ranking system. In every game that has a rankiing system there is the choice to play ranked games or not play ranked games. What is so hard to understand about that? If you dont want to play ranked ... just dont play it. IF you feel like you have gotten good enough to start playing ranked, then play it.

Also , as someone stated earlier.. yes, it should lvl you up the same way that Halo 2 does it, and Warcraft III. That way, people of similar skills will play together in ranked play .. which is great, because thats how you get better. And people can play EVERYONE, good and bad in non ranked mode.

There is nothing wrong with that system.

The more freedom they give us the better. Id personally like it if they just let us create rooms, put a password on it if wed like ... and name the type of game we were going to play and the options, viewable within the lobby area. That would be the perfect system to me.

include an option to limit ranks too ... "All levels allowed" "Rank < 1500 only" etc.

Top Bottom