• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I do find a player who planks, what is the best counter?

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Link, TLink, Peach, Snake, and ROB all generate a throwable item that can be used against the planker.
Pika has B and DownB
Lucas and Ness have UpB
Samus has DownB
Pit has B
Sonic with his UpB???:dizzy:
Wario's bike
ZSS's limited armor

But are any of them really good ideas? I'm beginning to think that Pika's got the best antiplanking options...

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Link, TLink, Peach, Snake, and ROB all generate a throwable item that can be used against the planker.
Pika has B and DownB
Lucas and Ness have UpB
Samus has DownB
Pit has B
Sonic with his UpB???:dizzy:
Wario's bike
ZSS's limited armor

But are any of them really good ideas? I'm beginning to think that Pika's got the best antiplanking options...
You also forgot Diddy, In the catagory of charecters that can generate throwable items.

And there is also Yoshi I think.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Yoshi's Egg

Bowser's Fire Breath

Charizard's Flamethrower

Sonic's Homing Attack (if timed right, or spaced right)

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
As usual, MK would win, because he can just jump off of the ledge and hit the planker... However, aside from the 5-jump recoveries, I'd say that pikachu has the best options, due to his B move.

_Icy_

Smash Rookie
I think Pikachu's Thunder Jolt and Bowser's Fire Breath would work good. I'm not sure though, because I've been lucky enough to not play people that plank yet XD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I am sorry, Homing Attack is absolute garbage and it's only use is that one in every set occasional mix-up/stall you're recovery.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
if mk planks right no other thing except another mk downtilit or snake nikita, gernade will be able to stop it.

but then that mk can just stall a littlebit with his jump and go down, then up/side b

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
^^

No, that won't work if you're not in the lead.

If you're not going to try to do something about it, at least just stand there and save yourself the energy.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Diddy + Bananas

OR

Diddy + Offstage Barrel Edge Cancel(Hold Down and diddy won't auto grab, and will hurt like hell for the other player.)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
fall off with bairs. hug the ledge and use for invincibility to drop off with one of your characters quick aerials.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Maybe Mario's fireballs because they move slow and diagonally.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So...

is planking worthy of being banned or not?

I've never had the (mis)fortune of playing against someone who does it, so I haven't been able to try finding ways around it.

And Kirby can Stone, or do what Plank said and edgehog->Bair

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Roy haz t3h ph13r!!1!!one!!!!1

I couldn't resist. In all seriousness, any item would work. Wario's bike, Link and Toon Link's bombz, ZSS's armor, and if you're really good, Snake nades.

Super Shadow Brawler 99

Smash Apprentice
My solution to planking:
Use Lucas and Ness PK thunder constantly to try to keep them from doing it again
Pikachu's thunder attack and thunder bolt
Try to spike them

I know the first and third reasons sound off, but they usually work for me half of the times, even when I'm not trying to spike them :p

Kel

Smash Master
The best counter is to play smart and patient. Your opponent is opting to put himself in a position of weakness. You have a shield and spotdodge for dealing with his dropping up air. From there, he has to jump and uair again. Force him to be semi-aggressive and he'll feel the pressure to the point of wanting to return to the stage. You can also jump around him and come up from the other side to take the ledge from him.

Top Bottom