• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If a tourney were to be held in Pekin, Illinois...

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Who would attend?(I'll post the specifics a little bit later in this post)

For the past few years I've tried countless times to go to Smash tourneys in the Illinois/Indiana area, with no luck because of this thing called "age." Well, I've recently come across a pretty cool place in Pekin, Illinois that's a considerable distance(not like 200 miles) from my house and I talked to the owner of the place, and he holds tournaments for various games every month. I participated in one today as a matter of fact, but the turn out wasn't too swell. What I mean by this is there was 3 teams that came including mine, and then the owner and this girl teamed up for a fourth team just to make more teams for it.

Well, once we finished the tournament, I talked to the owner for maybe 3 minutes about making a better turnout which would include using these forums and AiB forums to advertise. His current ways of advertising are the stores's Myspace page and on it's official website. Fortunately(kind of >_>) I locked my keys in my parent's truck so we called a lockpick and got more into talking about organizing tournaments with bigger turnouts.

Anyways, this is the information I found out from him:

First off, the building is one of those buildings that's connected to the usual: Liquor store, Tobacco store, Dollar Tree, so it's not gigantic. It is, however, big enough in my opinion to accommodate the maximum amount of players he'd allow in a tournament(which will be listed in the bullets next)

-32 max amount of players

-Entry fee is debatable(He wants it to be a good enough amount to be worth coming for, but not too much for the average joe) $10 seemed like a reasonable amount, but people who would consider coming from longer distances, what would be a good amount for you guys to usually persuade you to come to these things?

-3 big screen TVs provided, 3-4 Wiis provided, chairs probably wouldn't be a problem either. If I can post screenshots of the place to give you guys a good idea of how big the place is, and you think we could fit more setups in there, obviously provided by other people coming, that'd be sweet.

-If the tourney actually did get the full turnout of 32 players, it probably wouldn't be double elimination depending on the amount of setups I think... I would think the tournament would have to start around 12 PM noon to get it over with by closing time. I don't know exactly on this issue yet, but I know it'd bring more people in if there was a Winners/Losers bracket.

-It would be a one day only thing. There's really no housing provided(sorry guys, I can't speak for my parents to allow people they don't know to sleep at my place overnight xD) so yeah...you'd just have to get up early...shouldn't be too hard to accomplish getting up early if you have an allnighter :p.

-Prizes would go to 1st, 2nd, and MAYBE 3rd depending on the general consensus.

-Prizes would most likely be in store credit, unfortunately, but they have a bunch of neat stuff there anyways, so might as well just spend it on something you plan on getting anyways...it works just like money(I'm trying to work with this issue! My friend and I forgot to ask about this because the locksmith got there right as we were mentioning stuff about the prize money)

-If this does work out, I'm sure it would be at least a monthly thing, maybe even every other week or something like that!

-The guy isn't too experienced with handling Smash tournaments. All I'm asking is if you do post saying you can come, and you've hosted or know how to host a tournament, please help the guy out. His idea of a Smash tournament is single/double elimination tournaments on Final Destination with 3 stock. He got that from MLG when rules were first being given out, so he does not know the 6 neutral stages, counterpicks if there is double elimation, banned stages, Dave's stupid rule, or any of that, and I'm not 100% concrete on these rules either because I haven't experienced them myself, so help is GREATLY appreciated if you can provide it. He's a really cool guy and he generally listens to people who try to help out, like I'm trying to do.

For anyone requiring the address to this place to estimate the distance it'd be, it's:
Gamer's Choice
1019 Derby Street
Pekin, IL 61554

I'm sure I've missed a couple of things in this post, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. LET'S BRING SMASH TO CENTRAL ILLINOIS! Seriously, nobody here is too pro, I mean COME ON! I have witnessed zero mindgames, zero advanced techs, zero DI! It's just your usual, "Oh well down throw w/ Mario pops them up just in this exact angle, which leads to a full hopped up air, into a nair/bair/dair depending on my position and their position" If anything, I'd LOVE a good IC player to come and convince people that Final Destination isn't the best **** map in the entire game!

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
As I said, I'm going to try and make it cash prizes if I can help it. Is it usual/unusual for a host to take a bit of the entry fees? I'm saying this because I'm sure he'd require some of it for allowing a large amount of people to meet up in his store, possibly making customers leave because he may be caught up in hosting the tournament.

I don't know. I'm really confused on the whole tournament dealio. Some help/suggestions would really be appreciated!

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Alright, sometime this week when I get the time to I'm going to call him up and ask some questions, and one being if we can change the prize to actual cash instead, just him taking a certain amount of it to compensate for...stuff that idk :/

Any other questions I should ask? Please post!

ftl

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a bit far for me. I'm at UIUC, it's like a 2-hour drive to there I think...

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
most people don't travel and pay for tournaments if the money they pay doesn't go back into the pot to pay out CASH prizes. Organizing something that pays out store credit to some store 100-200 miles away from most of the competitors just plain won't work.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
So what you're saying is he'd have to put 100% of the entry fees back into the pot? Or do you just mean you guys want cash prizes. If it's just that you guys want cash prizes, I'm sure he'd do it as long as he'd get a portion of the entry fee amount to compensate for allowing a large amount of people to come there(Lol, 32 = large, mai bad) Would that be alright? If not, I'll try to compromise as much as I can with him then...

If this doesn't work out, I'll probably find some type of church deal that's cheap to rent out and holds large amounts of people. I just want a tourney with good people that I can actually go to ;_;

Anyways, like I said, ask more questions if needed, and please reply to what I asked in the first paragraph!

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
well that place sounds like crap, we wouldn't mind paying like a 3-4 dollar door fee or something like that but 10 dollars for everything and then just getting store credits, no one will go for that.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So what you're saying is he'd have to put 100% of the entry fees back into the pot? Or do you just mean you guys want cash prizes. If it's just that you guys want cash prizes, I'm sure he'd do it as long as he'd get a portion of the entry fee amount to compensate for allowing a large amount of people to come there(Lol, 32 = large, mai bad) Would that be alright? If not, I'll try to compromise as much as I can with him then...

If this doesn't work out, I'll probably find some type of church deal that's cheap to rent out and holds large amounts of people. I just want a tourney with good people that I can actually go to ;_;

Anyways, like I said, ask more questions if needed, and please reply to what I asked in the first paragraph!
Charge $10 entry fee

Charge $5 venue fee

You get 20 people to show up.

$200 in entry fees going to the pot and goes back to the player. 1rst place gets $120, second gets $60, third gets $20, or something like that.

$100 in venue fee. Goes directly to store owner.

Everyone wins.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot Overswarm! $15 does seem like a lot, but I know that cash prizes would be possible with that amount. I'd have to notify the owner to charge that much, even though he doesn't like too much or too little for tourneys, mainly for the locals, but tbh, they aren't good anyways :/. I'm mostly doing this to get actually good people down here so my friend and I can get to playing with other good people without having to use Wifi Wars/AiB/whatever else so that I can get pwned and prosper with intelligence at the end of the day.

On another note, who would go for $15? I'm going to ask around to see some prices on decent sized venues and possibly just end up hosting my own tournament,which would own so much more ;))). Heck, if I did find a good one, and if enough setups were brought, we could hold a doubles tournament as well and finish it all in one day. Whee thoughts are running through my head right now, what do you guys think so far? Stick to this guy's store, or are decent venues generally cheap enough to be affordable for $100 or so? INPUT still!

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Ok so I think I've come to the conclusion of just finding some venue to hold this at. What would be a good size for it, as in holding amount of people? Hopefully I can find something cheap around here. Also, any tips on what kind of venues I should be asking around for?

ftl

Smash Journeyman
i'd possibly go if someone can give me ride there
Heh. Well, if there's company, I might go. Then I'd be able to give you a ride...

...but not going to promise anything yet, would have to know the date/time first, and see how that works out. Take your time in finding a venue :-p :-p :-p

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Ah yeah, I'll post a topic about a tourney in this area some day, I'm just going to start looking for venues for now. Heck, I may tell the dude he could hold a tournament, charge $10-15, take some for whatever...letting people come or something, and let him take the reigns for that whole idea. Now I'm just wanting to host my own tournament because it sounds so much cooler if I can nab a shabby venue :p However, like I said, it'll be awhile, maybe! I have to find a venue first!

chewyy

Smash Ace
I'd probably be up for this.

But as for looking for venues, you could try asking around at churches.
Some churches have large rooms that they rent out.
Like, a church where I live has a large basketball court + stage (finals? lol) that they rent out for around $100. It would definently be a wierd venue but it's pretty big. :)

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Just putting in my two in-store-credits here but I'd be more than willing to help out and participate. Love the fact that you're suggesting tournaments in my own dear town. :)

Rhukatah

Smash Rookie
Cool.

BraveDave and I have wanted to have professional tournaments in Pekin/Peoria for a while. There are regular tournaments already in Pekin at Gamer Sanctuary over on Valle Vista.

The Gamer Sanctuary tournaments are $5 entry fee, $5 buyback (It costs an extra $5 and there's a second, single-elimination bracket). The first tournament there that I attended was teams, 5 minutes on FD. The second one was singles, 5 stock, 9 minutes on FD. I skipped the last one because the guy running it decided to only allow people to chose random characters.

If you're in the Pekin area, BraveDave and I get together in Pekin for friendlies on Friday evenings. The next tournament at Gamer Sanctuary is this Saturday (but it's going to have some funky rules).

Would anyone want to meet us for friendlies this Friday? PM BraveDave for details.

flipkid

Smash Apprentice

haha dammit why didn't you guys respond to my peoria post lols?

anyways we got a solid weekly of four guys playing smash.. if you all are from here maybe you've played with rashad?? he put out that trailer blazin kyubi or something??

and hmm i can't believe you haven't considered tapping into the bradley student body... there's tons of people there that smash... and there used to be some really good ones

that being said... i heard pekin placed 1 through 5 on the top 10 most racist cities in the u.s, so although it's like 10 mins away i dunno how i feel about going there =o

finally.. 15 bucks is wayy too much to ask for somethign like that.. if you're running a smaller tourney, free venue is where it's at.. so think churches, people's houses, random school buildings etc etc... there's not much to do in this area so i'm pretty sure it would be easy to do..

i think a bi-weekly 5 dollar tourney close to bradley would be the best bet for big turnouts or growing a scene out here... but i'd be down to support whatever..

chewyy

Smash Ace
yeah, but I don't know if Gooey Banana is going to host this or what, because his last post was on this thread, over a month ago. Then again, maybe he just doesn't frequent the boards, or post.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but if a tournament is going to happen, someone else might have to host/set it up.

I could be wrong though. :)

studly

Smash Ace
ICC eh? It just so happens that's where I'm based at. I'm sure we can work something out. :)
well my smash crew is from elmwood

yeah cool it totally sucks how few people play smash in peoria...

anyway....when would you want to meet...and where at?

And have you heared about a tournament at gamer sactuary in pekin (i heared about it on 105.7 the x)

Rhukatah

Smash Rookie
haha dammit why didn't you guys respond to my peoria post lols?

anyways we got a solid weekly of four guys playing smash.. if you all are from here maybe you've played with rashad?? he put out that trailer blazin kyubi or something??

and hmm i can't believe you haven't considered tapping into the bradley student body... there's tons of people there that smash... and there used to be some really good ones

that being said... i heard pekin placed 1 through 5 on the top 10 most racist cities in the u.s, so although it's like 10 mins away i dunno how i feel about going there =o

finally.. 15 bucks is wayy too much to ask for somethign like that.. if you're running a smaller tourney, free venue is where it's at.. so think churches, people's houses, random school buildings etc etc... there's not much to do in this area so i'm pretty sure it would be easy to do..

i think a bi-weekly 5 dollar tourney close to bradley would be the best bet for big turnouts or growing a scene out here... but i'd be down to support whatever..
I asked around Bradley but I couldn't find a smash group. The only video gaming group that Bradley has right now is dedicated to rhythm games. I would definitely be interested in holding/attending bi-weeklies at or around Bradley.

Pekin's reputation for racism is outdated. Granted, you might have been well advised to stay away in the eighties, but it's a pretty tolerant/civil/normal place nowadays except for a small square between Derby and Koch streets north and south and then between 14th Street and the river east and west. That's the poor section of town, that's the crazy section of town. BraveDave and I are from different/normal parts of Pekin.

Still, even people in the crazy section hate to embrace methamphetamine-fueled paranoia.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
well my smash crew is from elmwood

yeah cool it totally sucks how few people play smash in peoria...

anyway....when would you want to meet...and where at?

And have you heared about a tournament at gamer sactuary in pekin (i heared about it on 105.7 the x)
Yes the Gamers tournament is tomorrow at 12. We're all going to attend for sure. The ruleset is a little odd though, its free-for-all on Hyrule Temple with Smash Balls on. Perhaps we could meet up there?

studly

Smash Ace
Yes the Gamers tournament is tomorrow at 12. We're all going to attend for sure. The ruleset is a little odd though, its free-for-all on Hyrule Temple with Smash Balls on. Perhaps we could meet up there?
awesome...will do

yeah its a four player tournament too...wierd

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
I asked around Bradley but I couldn't find a smash group. The only video gaming group that Bradley has right now is dedicated to rhythm games. I would definitely be interested in holding/attending bi-weeklies at or around Bradley.

Pekin's reputation for racism is outdated. Granted, you might have been well advised to stay away in the eighties, but it's a pretty tolerant/civil/normal place nowadays except for a small square between Derby and Koch streets north and south and then between 14th Street and the river east and west. That's the poor section of town, that's the crazy section of town. BraveDave and I are from different/normal parts of Pekin.

Still, even people in the crazy section hate to embrace methamphetamine-fueled paranoia.
"If you have facebook, look up Drew dicipher bryant, he plays smash and is really good. (Bradley student) Ummm theres a good smash community at bradley but a most of it is gone since i transferred back to chicago"

^^so apparently that guy is who you want to contact in bradley... i don't go there so I have'nt done so yet

zec and wuwu used to go there so i'm sure there's some people left they probably just play each other...

so yeah let's get this worked out so that all the different smash groups in peoria can play each other..

btw... i just realized it seems like you guys play mostly brawl?? we play melee... hmmm

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Wow, a month or whatever it is later, I post!

Well, the tournament at Gamer's Sanctuary was fun, and Bravedave ended up taking first place away from me xD! All in all though, every FFA match I played had hilarious/awesome endings, so it was worth the amount I payed.

Anyways, I've noticed we have a problem in this area. There is not a lot of players here(I know there was a one point, like zec, but he moved away I guess) which is pretty obvious, and I have been trying to get SOME kind of scene worked out, but it's pretty difficult seeing as most people I've played around here are casuals(I'd include myself and my friends, no matter how much we don't want to admit it)

To get more people to get into the smash scene around here, we'd have to find some way into convincing people that go to Gamer's Sanctuary/Choice to take some kind of lessons/advice or whatever about the competitive smash aspect, and I think we could very well get a nice scene around here. We also need to fix another issue with all the casuals here: Final Destination is not the only good map in the game, there are 5 other neutral stages that are just as good, if not better, than FD. If I really wanted to beat this into these people's skulls, I'd honestly invest a lot of time into learning how to chain grab with the IC's in order to show that maps like Battlefield and Smashville do have a place in Smash around here because they're much better to play on against a seasoned IC player. Let's not forget, however, counter picks. To get this, we'd need AT LEAST best 2 out of 3 matches for every match, and if it's going to take up too much time by just playing on one large screen, maybe Gamer's Sanctuary should invest into getting more TVs & Wiis to accomodate for this. This would mean no more buyback round garbage, just make people pay $5-10 upfront, no biggy.

Also, the previous poster said something about Melee. I honestly would LOVE to play this game competitively again! I just recently popped the disc in and played the AI for about 3 hours straight just having fun owning with not-bottom-tier-Captain-Falcon! All the advanced techniques were really sloppy, but with time, I could rekindle the ownage that is Captain Falcon ^^. Back to the point, I think if a tournament/LAN/weekly or whatever were to be held sometime, if big enough, I think Melee 1v1s should be included. The game honestly does require more skill IMO, and deserves to still be played nowadays. So to you, I really enjoy the idea of playing Melee again! Just REALLY need to train casuals on advanced techniques or else it will be a borefest.

Now for the actual acquiring of more smashers around here. I have tried to get people from my high school(East Peoria) and have found about...5 people that play Smash, and luckily all of them started back in the Melee days, so they have some skill, although one of them in particular needs to slow it down a little...So yeah, I'm not a college student so I honestly wouldn't know where to go in Bradley to find smashers, so I'd have to leave it up to the big kids posting here, because I don't go to college until next year xD. Hopefully we could establish a solid 30-40 smashers and maybe host bi-weeklies in the future or something of the sort!

Ugh, I think the 12 pack of Mountain Dew: Voltage that I drank in about 4 hours last night is started to take effect when I first started this post, so I'm sorry if it seems really...messy, but I tried my best :p. I've gotten word from one of my friends that there is a possible church we can rent out for tournaments that costs a reasonable price so if I get the time to I'm going to check into it and hopefully arrange a tournament sometime during winter break. The only thing that really gets in the way of this that I know of right now is the EPEpic LAN that's going on at East Side on the 6th & 7th(date may change, you can find more info about the LAN at EPEpic.com) which is a primarily PC/Xbox 360 LAN that I'm going to be going to, so I'll have to find a date other than that a Xmas day to host a tournament.

ONE...LAST...THING...! I haven't really posted much on this topic lately because I don't really frequent these boards much, and that's mostly thanks to either WoW, my Call of Duty 4 team starting back up, or cross country, so I apologize for not posting in forever.

/wall of text

tl;dr version: There isn't one.

flipkid

Smash Apprentice

uh well you guys seem to be on your own thing.. we already have weeklies you guys would just need to show up... anyways i think we'll be playing with the isu guys at some point in the future..

why would you even want 30 people? lol chicago doesnt even have 30 people smashfests.. it would suck lol..

anyways good luck with the tourney make a post if it happens.... but i'm giving up on smashing outside of the group we have now for the near future...gg

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Where do you guys have these weeklies, and on what day, as well as time? I'll try to show up to one of them sometime in the future, and I don't really mind if it's Brawl or Melee, I love both.

studly

Smash Ace
Wow, a month or whatever it is later, I post!

Well, the tournament at Gamer's Sanctuary was fun, and Bravedave ended up taking first place away from me xD! All in all though, every FFA match I played had hilarious/awesome endings, so it was worth the amount I payed.
i was pretty pissed about the rules set there...lol and that i didnt get to fight you or brave dave in either tournament...

what did you think of the metaknight that spamed whorenado on me like 7 times in a row

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Umm...I'm sorry about that xD! That was actually my friend and I told him to do it for the lulz because that was the only way he was going to win a match, and he still didn't xD!

That does suck that you didn't get to play me or Dave though, it would've been cool :p. Next month is Singles though, so hopefully that'll go by smoother than FFA...

studly

Smash Ace
Umm...I'm sorry about that xD! That was actually my friend and I told him to do it for the lulz because that was the only way he was going to win a match, and he still didn't xD!

That does suck that you didn't get to play me or Dave though, it would've been cool :p. Next month is Singles though, so hopefully that'll go by smoother than FFA...
lol yeah i wasnt .... it really wasnt a serious tournament so it doesnt matter...

yeah im bringing a group down for that one i think...

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Cool, I'm probably going to train just as much as I did for the FFA tournament, hardly xD. A little night-before-the-tournament cramming should do some good :p

Top Bottom