• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'd Telegraph That!" - Little Mac Video Thread

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
tbh I think little mac WANTS his opponent to be at the edge of the stage. While it is dangerous for LM to approach an opponent there, with perfect spacing it's safe and the opponents options are soooo limited there that it's a hayday for LM. I think playing in the middle of the stage, or, if stage permitted, up and around the platforms is the best bet.
It's extremely dangerous against tether grabs like Zero Suit Samus has. Forward tilt usually keeps Little Mac completely safe near the edge with good spacing, but it's completely punishable by tether grabs. I would not want to fight that girl at the edge. No thanks.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Tether grabs are slow, you don't need to ftilt her, you can jab/dtilt, condition her to shield and then grab her etc. There are definitely options you have against tether characters that are unpunishable on shield

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Tether grabs are slow, you don't need to ftilt her, you can jab/dtilt, condition her to shield and then grab her etc. There are definitely options you have against tether characters that are unpunishable on shield
I completely agree. You can definitely jab their shield for free, but you have to get that close. I'm just saying it requires a bit more caution because they can grab you from further away. If you're dashing in for a dash attack, up smash, or grab they can tether you before you even reach their shield. They can also grab you out of side smash.
Little Mac could always back roll out of his dash-in to bait out the tether grab, but yeah that's all mind games from there.

I don't think this costs Little Mac any points in the match ups though as being able to jab shields for free is pretty sweet.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
It's not shown in the video but that would also mean K.O. punch out of a dash.

Also THIS.
Would it be practical or just used for the disrespect?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You could already KO Punch out of a run; the awful Circle Pad just makes it really, really difficult. Also, it is still shown at the end of my video with a B-Reverse.

N-Air -> N-Air is not a true combo at any percent, so people should be able to do a special move out. I think N-Air to footstool might be a true combo, though.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why is everyone so predictable and unsafe with this character? I have yet to see footage of a Little Mac player that has really impressed me.

The post above had some decent basics, but was still too formulaic for my tastes. Literally everyone I've seen is missing out on really important spacing moves. In the video above, people were gimped by foolish basics they'd never seen before.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Why is everyone so predictable and unsafe with this character? I have yet to see footage of a Little Mac player that has really impressed me.

The post above had some decent basics, but was still too formulaic for my tastes. Literally everyone I've seen is missing out on really important spacing moves. In the video above, people were gimped by foolish basics they'd never seen before.
To be fair, there's only so many things you can do with a character who almost entirely has to play on the ground. And the gimp on Pac-Man was honestly entertaining and well-played.

Not that I don't agree that Little Mac has underused options that should be implemented. D-tilt never gets used quite enough in spite of both its safety and trap potential, and F-smash against short hops is less used than it should be.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I don't main Mac, I just started using him for a bit in conquest and for that awesome nair to foot stool gimp.

I know I'm way too risky with everyone lol

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I mean, gimping Pac-Man by taking the last spring jump is still basic game knowledge. :/

Last edited:

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
http://youtu.be/O6sWpfKtwLQ

Hello im been using Little Mac for a while now and i have been learning a lot, after many matches i finally decided to upload a few of my games even with a prototype test on the first match, i would love some feedback on the way i play with this character and what you think of my videos, thanks again for watching :3

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
A few matches from this past weekend's tournament. (The Road to TGC 1 - Houston, TX)

vs. Trela :4shulk: - Winners Bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5z4-WSIZ4I&index=3&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5R73PYUY7_wtVg_cFunU8Og

vs. TheJerm :4palutena::4tlink: - Losers Bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQVxk-auvts&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5R73PYUY7_wtVg_cFunU8Og&index=20

vs. Nidak. :4rob::4wiremac: - Losers Bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOAzIjC38UI&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5R73PYUY7_wtVg_cFunU8Og&index=22

vs. Megafox :4fox:- Losers Bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8knGFiPw1I&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5R73PYUY7_wtVg_cFunU8Og&index=10

Placed 5th out of 73 entrants. Lost to Trela who took 1st, and Megafox who got 3rd.

I played other players as well but those matches weren't streamed/recorded.

Results thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-road-to-tgc-1-houston-tx-houston-obliterates-dallas-trelas-ridley-is-unstoppable.375993/

EDIT: Also if you're interested in watching an unbelievabe set, check out Trela vs. Denti Winner's Finals. Speechless. Houston > Dallas

Last edited:

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I recently enterred an online tournament over on NeoGAF and managed to get to the quarterfinals with my Little Mac, but lost to Shamrock7r's Ness. It was a very intense set, and wouldn't mind some critiqueing of my Little Mac. Here's the whole set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2yOFlhQVCY

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
Really nice games there Avoid, placing 5th wasnt that bad and kudos because despite Macs strenghts, he can get gimped really hard, so focus and carefulness is mandatory to survive, that and Shulk is a solid character when using his monado arts properly, even with my Main Yoshi i have such a hard time with a very good Shulk or Ness, either way, i have another video of only Mac im not as good as you guys but i hope you like it :3

http://youtu.be/NF57TPvt5p4

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Appreciate it. 3 stocks imo helps out a lot in that aspect. Trela's Shulk is crazy, I've never seen anyone play it like him.

Anyways, nice Mac as well. Loved your use of counters! Actually took a few things from you. Don't side-b so much though, offline you'll get easily punished. If you were to do it, I'd suggest grounded ones unless you can surprise them with an aerial. Isn't much to critique since you won most of your matches, but you play well. Mix up approaches, weave in and out, use his fast rolls to your advantage.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
Appreciate it. 3 stocks imo helps out a lot in that aspect. Trela's Shulk is crazy, I've never seen anyone play it like him.

Anyways, nice Mac as well. Loved your use of counters! Actually took a few things from you. Don't side-b so much though, offline you'll get easily punished. If you were to do it, I'd suggest grounded ones unless you can surprise them with an aerial. Isn't much to critique since you won most of your matches, but you play well. Mix up approaches, weave in and out, use his fast rolls to your advantage.
i played againts two Shulks now who are really good, in fact i think one of those Shulk was here from the forums the other was random in FG, but seeing these videos it really does open up potential, tornaments are going to be one interesting match to see
oh and thank you i do try to use counters carefully and not just make myself predictable, i feel honored that i was even able to help you out, but sadly, i dont think i will get the chance to play offline....at least not in a comptetitive/tourney scene, where i live its just to obscure for me to participate and even those i could, i am usually working at my job :( sigh....
either way
thank you for your opinion, i have a lot of fun using Little Mac, but it can be frustrating sometimes too with his weaknesses but thats a known fact, just gotta get around it and strive to be better

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I'm not either. After watching the videos I realized I should've played a lot more level-headed then setting it to auto pilot and try to make read-after-read. Ended up with a counter killing at 40% lol. Need to mix up a bit more between aggro and defensive. IMO Shulk is at least mid tier. People just haven't figured out how to actually play him as Trela has.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Hey! I updated the opening post with most of the videos that have been posted in this thread so far. They are listed by player, and also say what character the Little Mac is against. I'll finish adding the rest of the videos in the near future, and we will do what we can to keep it updated regularly.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Just wanted to pop in to put this video up of my match vs. Zenas. The combo at the beginning was SUPER LEGIT: he's a pretty good player. I'm Link, btw.
Powerstar9 vs. Zenas: http://youtu.be/PDMx4auBsFs

Last edited:

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Just wanted to pop in to put this video up of my match vs. Zenas. The combo at the beginning was SUPER LEGIT: he's a pretty good player. I'm Link, btw.
Powerstar9 vs. Zenas: http://youtu.be/PDMx4auBsFs
I love this Mac's playstyle o.o. It's so interesting and odd. I might experiment playing him in this way a bit...

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Hey! I updated the opening post with most of the videos that have been posted in this thread so far. They are listed by player, and also say what character the Little Mac is against. I'll finish adding the rest of the videos in the near future, and we will do what we can to keep it updated regularly.
Mind adding the ones I posted earlier to OP?

M@v

Subarashii!
I don't post in the mac forums too often, but I won a wii U tourney today; went like half little mac; half doc. I can probably get some of the mac videos up when our streamer puts them online (likely Monday). :)

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I don't post in the mac forums too often, but I won a wii U tourney today; went like half little mac; half doc. I can probably get some of the mac videos up when our streamer puts them online (likely Monday). :)
That would be cool if you can M@v. It'd be nice to add them to the archive. Congrats on winning the tourney!

Also, I won't have access to my computer until tomorrow night, so I'll be updating the list of videos then.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A few matches from this past weekend's tournament. (The Road to TGC 1 - Houston, TX)

vs. Trela :4shulk: - Winners Bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5z4-WSIZ4I&index=3&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5R73PYUY7_wtVg_cFunU8Og

vs. TheJerm :4palutena::4tlink: - Losers Bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQVxk-auvts&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5R73PYUY7_wtVg_cFunU8Og&index=20

vs. Nidak. :4rob::4wiremac: - Losers Bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOAzIjC38UI&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5R73PYUY7_wtVg_cFunU8Og&index=22

vs. Megafox :4fox:- Losers Bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8knGFiPw1I&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5R73PYUY7_wtVg_cFunU8Og&index=10

Placed 5th out of 73 entrants. Lost to Trela who took 1st, and Megafox who got 3rd.

I played other players as well but those matches weren't streamed/recorded.

Results thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-road-to-tgc-1-houston-tx-houston-obliterates-dallas-trelas-ridley-is-unstoppable.375993/

EDIT: Also if you're interested in watching an unbelievabe set, check out Trela vs. Denti Winner's Finals. Speechless. Houston > Dallas
I watched all of these.

OMFGGGGG http://youtu.be/D5z4-WSIZ4I?t=8m1s

Heartbreaking. That was such an incredible stock - so abruptly stolen. Anyways, very impressive Mac! Thank you so much for sharing these. He really is a totally nerve-racking character. Watching him get thrown off stage always makes me hold my breath. Your damage output IS making up for that though, as some of those stocks show. Doing 80% within twenty seconds is crazy. And just the jump conservation is really spot on. Loved catching the commentators say "op he's dead for sure" and then watching you jump back with some mysterious secret jump hahaha.

It is annoying watching people recover with zero harassment though. Macs seem to be content chilling until they come back on stage and being prepared to control the ledge gettups. Not sure there's any solution to that really. Just a character observation.

- actually, vs Jerm, and this is one specific instance, he threw a bomb at you when he was trying to recover. You shoulda caught that!!!!!

Funny seeing Illmatic go for the Mac ditto. I wonder how his Peach would have done. He's always been one for a show though HA.

Incredible sets though Avoid - definitely a Mac to watch. I think it takes a lot of bravery to take Mac to a tournament, his recovery is so much of a liability. It never seems Mac is totally out of the game, but maybe it was just watching Megafox, but other characters can do some of the things Mac does - and they can recover. I'm worried once some solid counters are established, say Peach or Ness or whoever, Mac is not going to work alone.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Alright everyone, opening post is updated. Currently though, all of our videos are of patch 1.0.3. In the future, please let us know if the video is before or after patch 1.0.4. Just a heads up!

M@v

Subarashii!
Sorry for the delay (busy week for our local streamer), but he's gotten some of the videos from the tourney up. One of my little mac games got uploaded so here it is. Game 2 I go Doc.

Mav (Little Mac/Doc) vs CeramicCow (Greninja)

EDIT: Moar Vids:

Mav(Doc/Little mac) vs Life (Rosaluma) Mac is game 2 and 3

Mav(Little mac) vs Col (Robin/Ike/Dark Pit) Grandfinals (2 bo3 sets)

Last edited:

xJMANx

Smash Rookie
NNID
DagenaisJ
Good stuff. I've been slowing down my Mac game and it seems to pay more dividends than rushing the opponent all the time. I need to use my Nair more. I'm surprised you don't try to go for the down smash more often when ledge guarding but overall, good Mac play.

Top Bottom