• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice climbers way more potential in brawl than melee?

meepxzero

Smash Master
Ive been only playing 3 weeks with them they just feel like melee climbers except with better b moves, better cgs, better desynchs. Sure they are a LOT harder to play now, but once you get past your week in training mode learning all their goofy alt grabs it pays off at the end when u can kill people at a 100% as opposed to 150%+.

Sure brawl gets more gayer and campier because your opponents are scared like crap to get grabbed, but desynched blizzards/iceblocks prevent them from spacing you and forces them to attack you. But yah al keep playing them there just too fun in brawl. Just too bad they still blow in teams moreso now cuz nana becomes a ragdoll when she gets hit around. :laugh:

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
One thing that really works against them is the fact that a lot of characters can punish HARD when they powershield, especially laggy moves..

But the iceclimbers do not reap the rewards, if Popo Powershields then Nana gets hit, and if Nana Powershields then Popo has been hit. Also, DSing just to make powershields more effective isn't exactly practical.

Yea, they have a helluva lot of potential.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Yeah, I learned the hard way that ICs are not good in team battles...

The thing about the Ice Climbers in Brawl is that they've both gained and lost some key elements to their playstyle. On the one hand, the loss of spotdodge desynching (along with other similar forms) means that players will have to get used to other, less practical methods to desynch. At the same time, they've earned new alt. throws, capable of setting up many more chaingrab possibilities. As for special moves, Belay's new properties make it rather unique. It's the only tether recovery that still works as a recovery on its own if the enemy is edgehogging you (Nana may not always make it though).

lain

Smash Master
metaknight's are so easy to fight with ic's though....

blizzard blizzard blizzard blizzard blizzard blizzard cg usmash

meepxzero

Smash Master
dont ever play m2k -_-.... Thought he had no idea how to fight that match up and i was so wrong. but then again he was the first metaknight main ive ever played with climbers.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Been there, done that :laugh:.

He figured out that matchup pretty quickly actually. The first tournament I ever met him at, I fought him first round. He got grabbed once...

He made sure not to let it happen again. Now the only time I can grab him is if Nana is far away. He faces my Ice Climbers from time to time.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Yeah, I learned the hard way that ICs are not good in team battles...
Double Ice Climbers...? 4 vs. 2 is lulz.

Anyways, the ICs buffed a lot in Brawl with no competitive means (I mean that I'm not talking about some competitive stuff about the ICs), with lots of potential. But meh, their Ice Shots did about 27% and can KO in Melee and nerfed down to 6% and can't KO in Brawl. Ice Shots in Melee > Brawl.
And the ICs seemed to buffed a lot in Brawl, their moves became stronger with Nana, their recovery can tether, Squall is higher, and they have new/better altgrabs than Melee. One is, their grab range isn't good, I don't really know about their grab range in Melee though, I think it was better...

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I'mma bout to show everyone IC **** lol.

I'm pumped up from Canada >:D
You showed me how ICs **** hard, our maple syrup makes people hyper xD

Also you and that pillow were best friends =D

lain

Smash Master
LOL that's lame BlueTerrorist. Why ban something that isn't winning tourneys and is hard as hell to do, not to mention making up for IC's weaknesses of short grab range and slow speed.

That pillow is all I'll ever need.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
LOL that's lame BlueTerrorist. Why ban something that isn't winning tourneys and is hard as hell to do, not to mention making up for IC's weaknesses of short grab range and slow speed.

That pillow is all I'll ever need.
I'm not sure, I think it's just Bum's weeklies that has the rule. Haven't heard of any bans upstate or in other states in my region :/. Yeah, I think the ban is stupid too. When did you ever see a IC take first in NYC tourneys with just cgs alone :confused:. But hey at least DDD's Cg and infinite is banned :laugh:. People in my state is too ban happy.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
My friend moved from NY to Toronto, he says NY was crap because it was dangerous, is it that that they ban stuff in NY? xD

Anyways it's not hard to GC light character since Lain told me how to do it (<3) butI haven't played Brawl in 2 days so my timing is kinda off -.-

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm not sure, I think it's just Bum's weeklies that has the rule. Haven't heard of any bans upstate or in other states in my region :/. Yeah, I think the ban is stupid too. When did you ever see a IC take first in NYC tourneys with just cgs alone :confused:. But hey at least DDD's Cg and infinite is banned :laugh:. People in my state is too ban happy.
A lot of tournies in IL have it banned. That's why IL is so lamesauce. =^_^=

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i haven't heard anything about banning CGs at a GA tourney.... not that my play style would differ greatly if they did become banned.....

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
uh uh

i think melee ice climbers have more potential then stupid brawl climbers

they can get a grab much easier then brawl climbers.

but they are still the same in that if nana is with you and you grab the foe DIES

funny stuff.

or maybe i just don't know how to play ice climbers in brawl. who knows.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Have no idea what wobbling is...

Anyways, I liked the brawl ice climbers better than back at melee because Nana was so random in Melee, hard to control, and could edge hog you... (you can't belay while she is on the edge T_T).

Teh Future

Smash Master
lol cuz shes not random in brawl ever. Wobbling looked stupid. Chaingrabs look 1337 as hell and are therefore better. best reasoning ever.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Have no idea what wobbling is...

Anyways, I liked the brawl ice climbers better than back at melee because Nana was so random in Melee, hard to control, and could edge hog you... (you can't belay while she is on the edge T_T).
Wobbling was the "CG" or melee. When you grab with popo, you alternate pressing the A button, so popo pummels and nana does here standing A. If you do it right, it is an infinite and a free stock.
Or check this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjrk8gy0l1I&feature=related

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Philly and NJ had a few of the chaingrabs banned. The ones that are easier on Meta Knight are banned...

But they aren't banned for CoT4, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yes, "agrees with lain about them as the second best char in the game", their powershield is probably one of the best moves in the game, probably one of the moves that will beat MK, even though retreating fair or spaced dairs is dangerous...

D_C

Smash Rookie
All I can say is... yea they're better in this one.
One of the things I love is that they both can grab the edge... WOOT!
and other then that I'm not going to say anything else cuz you guys know why IC are better in Brawl

Top Bottom