• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice climbers, is there hope? No zelda?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Yeah, there's hope, just space yourself really well and if you get nana away from popo for even a second make sure she dies and don't let her get back to popo or you're in trouble. I've beaten other ICs with my sheik, and someone's beaten my ICs with their sheik before.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well it's not hopeless. I recall I've even beaten Coco ice climbers once with Sheik.. or was that Zero’s , maybe I beat both once? ~shrugs~ Anyways Sheik depends upon close range fighting and Icer's grab is death so one mistake means you just lost a stock.

Meanwhile Zelda was almost made to fight completely defensively and her projectiles help keep the twin demons at bay and because of how Icer’s approach usually causing damage as well.

It's just better to use Zelda. I've been doing it ever since melee.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
whenever im up against ice climbers i build up some damage against one of them then use that to knock away one from the other as long as i keep em seperated i usally seem to do ok. fighting them together and you will get your butt kicked but you can move faster then them so usually if you can start knocking nana away you can continue until she dies or papa? lol jumps off to try to save her then its just an edge guarding game =D

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I try to seperate myself from them. I run if their together nearby, I really like to switch to Zelda. You can trade hits with your Dins and their Iceblocks, you do much more harm =D. Also zelda has good area damage, you can fire both nana and popo if they get too close together. I like to pummle popo nearby then shoot a dins at nana, pummle popo, fire nana, blah blah....

KRDsonic

Smash Master
never EVER grab ice climbers

its tough for me, since i grab so much ;_____;
actually, there are times when it's good to grab them, but you have to know what you're doing before you try. Make sure if you grab, you grab popo, NOT NANA! and don't attempt it unless nana is already in the middle of an attack and then you grab and throw popo before nana can move. Also, another thing to remember is you can't be grabbed if you're already grabbing someone.

Villi

Smash Lord
I don't play as the Ice Climbers, so I can't go too in-depth as KDR probably could, but it's basically spacing well and keeping control of the match when you can get it. Even more basically, it's just killing Nana first.

Dashing toward them is usually a bad idea, especially if you intend to dash attack. No aerials from the front, either. These all put you at high risk, so weigh your options carefully.

Forget about Popo's damage counter while Nana is alive, and don't let it make you panic to see him at a lower percentage than you if you know you've been getting some solid hits on Nana. You'll know when Nana is at a much higher percent than Popo when, after you knock them away together, Nana flies much farther than him. Chase her -- she's easy to catch since she's programmed to make a b-line to Popo.

Nana reacts a few frames slower than Popo so a lot of the time, I catch Nana while the IC try to shield or roll away. If they desync, go for Nana. Kill Nana. Kill. Nana. Nana. Kill. All she can do is spam ice cubes when you've got her off the edge. Kill the *****.

Your moves come out faster than theirs when it counts, but be careful because you can't allow them to react defensively to your approaches.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
RAR bair is fine to not get shield grabbed (space it properly.)

You guys might as well all call it the choknater approach.

RAR bair all day son.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Oh yeah, something I didn't mention before, Sheik's needles help A LOT in this matchup. If they desync, just use a needle or 2 and it'll resync them, which is what you want.

Also, as most people say, go after Nana, after you kill her there's only 1 Ice Climber to worry about. This doesn't mean that they've lost their whole stock though, far from it. If you've only been going after Nana, then at this point you should be hurt pretty bad and Popo should have from low to medium percent. A lot of Ice Climber users don't know what to do with only one of them, but there are people like me that are just as deadly with 1 as with 2. If you get them solo, expect to see more blizzards and Ice Blocks. This are his best weapons for spacing when solo. Also, most people that are playing solo never think much about grabbing due to the loss of all chain grabs except the down throw one (which happens to work best against sheik) but even that only works up to a little uner 40%. After one of those chain grabs they'll probably follow it up with a forward smash if they're by the edge or a Nair/Uair if they're in the middle of the stage. If they hit you with the Fsmash, I've found it works best to DI away from the stage first, then come back, that way the Ice Climber can't try to edgeguard you, since if he jumps off he has to get back immediately.

Anyways, that's how I fight a solo climber with sheik. I normally wait until both Ice Climbers fly different ways from one of my attacks before I start going after Nana, that way Popo will be an easy target next with all of the dammage on him.

Also, just a note for people saying to use Zelda, she's also one of the easiest to chain grab, so avoid the grabs just as much as you would with Sheik.

Top Bottom