• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climber's grabs and desynces

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
1. Use the edit button instead of double posting.

2. She upthrows when not near a ledge so they can't infinite their opponent. She fthrows near an edge so hand-offs are possible

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
1. Use the edit button instead of double posting.

2. She upthrows when not near a ledge so they can't infinite their opponent. She fthrows near an edge so hand-offs are possible
not to whine, but are they possible or not? I was under the impression that they're not (possible, maybe, but not probable), at least not yet, but I'll try to practice them if it's as good as they're going to get.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Doing 1 handoff is always possible. Getting the 2nd regrab is possible but iffy. Something we are really working on fixing but it's very difficult because of how throw release points work.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Doing 1 handoff is always possible. Getting the 2nd regrab is possible but iffy. Something we are really working on fixing but it's very difficult because of how throw release points work.
Aiight, just wanted to make sure. Thank you for all of your hard work and keeping us in the loop!

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
This is a video of me playing some friendlies at King of the House 3 in Dallas. I was a little sloppy, but I managed to win two of the three games. I have a positive matchup record against his Lucas so I usually do alot better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYDHBkl4pgw
Thanks so much for posting that. I've been in a rut lately, playing dumb, etc. But that's exactly how I want to play the character. I'm going to take notes.

Oh, also, it *looked* like you were doing blizzards with nana directly out of shield, while popo kept shielding. If that's true, how do you do that?

Last edited:

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much for posting that. I've been in a rut lately, playing dumb, etc. But that's exactly how I want to play the character. I'm going to take notes.

Oh, also, it *looked* like you were doing blizzards with nana directly out of shield, while popo kept shielding. If that's true, how do you do that?
Ummm that was probably the shieldstun desync. When an opponent hits your shield with a strong move Popo is in hitstun while nana can act out of her shield.

Last edited:

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
All you have to do to do that is input a move in that tiny window after an attack hits your shield? I wonder what allows her to just do stuff right out of shield.

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
Hey Hylian!! I have a question. What is your opinion on down-throw nana ice block. It sometimes makes the opponent stand up, but it seems like I can't grab them again. Is there a better option?
Obviously not Hylian, but I've had mixed success. I've done best against Fox and Falco with this one, but I'm not sure if fall speed would really affect it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I need to test it more, I haven't used it enough to give you a good answer.

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure that I know that answer to this question, but I want to ask just to be sure before I experiment. Nana will always throw the opponent up in the middle of the stage right? She will start to throw backwards or forwards once you get close to the ledge?

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That is correct. She will always throw up unless near and edge and in that case she will always throw towards the ledge.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I had a game where she back threw from the ledge to the middle, it was the weirdest thing. I couldn't capitalize off it because it surprised me so much. I was standing in the middle myself, and she threw the guy right at me.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Or backthrow handoffs in general?
I can.

We should get a big ol post with all the desyncs we find. I think I got one? I don't play melee/brawl IC so I don't know.
So while you're running, turn around and in that sliding animation you can make nana do stuff. If you do this close to the edge, you can wavedash onto the edge and have popo hold it. If you do nothing, nana will slide onto it. If you act, you can make nana edge gaurd.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Desync list:
Aerial landing desnyc
Belay OoS
Broken shield desync (impractical)
C-Up desync OoS
Dash dance desync
F-tilt guard desync (Nana will jab)
GO!-desync
Grab confirm desync
Hit confirm desync
Hitstun desync
Hylian desync (dash back, instant move)
Ledgecancel desync
Single roll desync (tilt stick, press shield)
Shieldstun desync
Spot dodge desync
Pivot desnc
Pivot grab desync (impractical)
RAR WD ledgegrab desync
Reverse Initial dash desync (after your initial dash but before your run, dash back and do something)
Roll desync
Run turnaround desync
Up-B desync (impractical)
Up-B ledgestall desync

Might have left a few out but most are included
*I KEEP UPDATING IT*

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Hylian desync is a Brawl one, this thread explains it better than I could.
Hit confirm desync means that if you get a hit with one climber, the difference caused by the hitlag can give you easy desyncs.
In theory it is possible to also do it with both climbers hitting if Nana's staled hit goes under a 3% step so the hitlag is 1 frame less and you have 1 frame to work with, in which you could press jump causing a desync, but that is some kind of TAS stuff.
Obviously it also works with grab confirms which are way easier.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I think uh, there is a hitstun desync. I've been able to controll nana while my popo was in hitstun.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Is there more than one up
B desync? I've seen fly do one, I'd have to watch again to see what kind of uses he got out of it. It could just be for style points tho, I'll come back with the details later.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
They just land at different timings after you up-b, I just wanted to included, it is very impractical.
For the one Fly did you are probably refering to the Belay OoS which is basicalls a Nana only up-B OoS done with the 6 frame window of the shieldstun desync. Nana doesn't go up that much, she is basically staying where she is but the desync happened. It leaves Nana vulnerable though

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
How do you do the hit confirm desync and the aerial one?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Hit confirm desync means that if you get a hit with one climber, the difference caused by the hitlag can give you easy desyncs.
In theory it is possible to also do it with both climbers hitting if Nana's staled hit goes under a 3% step so the hitlag is 1 frame less and you have 1 frame to work with, in which you could press jump causing a desync, but that is some kind of TAS stuff.
Obviously it also works with grab confirms which are way easier.
Nana doesn't L-cancel so you can use this frame difference to input something with Popo

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
So I tried to do some brawl tech where you make both climbers roll in a different direction, it doesn't seem to work. But, you can make one of the climbers roll and the other won't. Calling it, the single roll desync. You have to tilt the stick just a bit and then sheild. Nana will roll forward/backward and then you can treat this like the roll desync. You can also do it for popo, I'm just not fluent with this, since I just found it.

You can also do a bit of weaving with your jump, when you're are at the edge, so popo will only grab the ledge when you short hop onto it. Leaving nana on stage.

Oh and if you do a RAR wavedash to grab the ledge and give yourself a little bit of running room, hold towards the ledge and your popo will grab ledge first. When he grabs the ledge, input stuff for nana (Roll, jump, stand, and desync ledge atks)
I only tried this with the stand, (desync mentioned above) but if you stand with the RAR wavedash desync, you can walk around the whole stage desynced. Nana will do that slow run and your popo will be walking/running around.

Also, I found out with the, Reverse Initial dash desync, you can make nana roll. But you can't treat it like a roll desync.

Btw
How do you charge a smash while grabbing someone?

Last edited:

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
So I tried to do some brawl tech where you make both climbers roll in a different direction, it doesn't seem to work. But, you can make one of the climbers roll and the other won't. Calling it, the single roll desync. You have to tilt the stick just a bit and then sheild. Nana will roll forward/backward and then you can treat this like the roll desync. You can also do it for popo, I'm just not fluent with this, since I just found it.

You can also do a bit of weaving with your jump, when you're are at the edge, so popo will only grab the ledge when you short hop onto it. Leaving nana on stage.

Oh and if you do a RAR wavedash to grab the ledge and give yourself a little bit of running room, hold towards the ledge and your popo will grab ledge first. When he grabs the ledge, input stuff for nana (Roll, jump, stand, and desync ledge atks)
I only tried this with the stand, (desync mentioned above) but if you stand with the RAR wavedash desync, you can walk around the whole stage desynced. Nana will do that slow run and your popo will be walking/running around.

Also, I found out with the, Reverse Initial dash desync, you can make nana roll. But you can't treat it like a roll desync.

Btw
How do you charge a smash while grabbing someone?
to charge a smash just jab with the player climber and input a with control stick and A and hold it. basically smash attack the 64 cave-man way

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Is the Grab desync still in the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XE63o5QQM 1:01 is what I meant to be descriptive
BTW
The "hyrlain desync"
So you dash behind yourself, and do a move? Does the move go the direction you face and which climber does it? If it's nana, it seems like this is just the defender, from melee. Just that, you can do any move, granted, you might have been able to do that in melee as well.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
stop upping post count!
BTW
We're gonna get like, all the useful desyncs on that list? I was messing with some of the melee/brawl ones and I could say which do and don't work from what I've done.

Last edited:

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
I'm having success with controlling Nana's throws. I'm experimenting with using downthrows and backthrows to extend the grab combos. Have you tried anything Chess? Or are you still working on the Ice Block stuff?

Last edited:
Top Bottom