• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers =_=

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Occasionally, when I come across a good IC, it's usually hell for Diddy.

The standard-b approach completely demolishes naners. If you try to grab one of the ICs, the other will attack. What the hell do I do with this?

ADHD

Smash Hero
First of all IC's become alot easier if you master everything diddy has in his arsenal. I know it sounds sellfish like I don't feel like putting in details--but really once you master diddy IC's become a matchup he *****. You just need to abuse the bananas, wait for openings and go for the grab. Separating them with grabs is the way to win. If nana is offstage spike her, she's really **** stupid. Just don't let them get the bananas, or else they'll get a grab chances are. Dash attack gets them both above you and free to hit, but if you make a mistake and dash attack their shield consider yourself dead. Use the bananas in a way so if they try and grab you they'll trip. Really limit their opportunities to grab and you'll win, its just a hard matchup until you learn what to do. Ice blocks can really limit your naner game, so take it slow with alot of patience. Once you get momentum they're very much at a disadvantage. It's just a test of if you cant make mistakes. The ice block spam can be countered by repeating a dash attack towards the IC's, but just get close enough to approach them that they'll stop the spam and get worried about close combat and then you can proceed to plucking nanerz.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Ah, that was what I was looking for! Thanks CP.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm going to upload some matches of an ONLINE match between me and some IC in an ONLINE tournament grand final match we did yesterday today

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Here are two videos of me facing off against Melee1 (one of, if not the best, Ice Climbers mains in the country) at OH SNAP! v4.0 a couple of weeks ago. He beat me in a close Match #1 of the first set (it regretfully didn't get recorded), and he managed to close the rest of the set in a grueling game of cat-and-mouse after he counter-picked with Rainbow Cruise and Meta Knight in Match #3. I walk home with the second set (2-0) in Loser's Bracket, but he only plays Ice Climbers for one match.

Halfway through getting my *** handed to me in the unrecorded first match, I realize that he was having a lot of trouble re-acclimating himself to the constant double shield-stun that I was throwing out with my multi-hit moves. It seems to throw off his reaction time a bit having to constantly adjust and readjust to the small window of vulnerability many of my multi-hitters were dealing. Nana's also pretty much easy money if you can separate her from Popo, effectively rendering most chain-throw variants useless.

The above was the bulk of my offense (as seen in these two matches) after I made the necessary halftime readjustments.

If you're suffering from a safe way to approach the Ice Climbers' Squall Hammer, it's because it's been buffed in Brawl with a great deal more priority. Solution: shield the entire thing, and punish its significant amount of cool-down frames accordingly.

Oh, yeah. Don't forget cross-ups.

Count

Smash Champion
I've faced melee1 online before! I'm 1-0 lifetime vs his IC. Not that online matters.

Excellent advice on the matchup thien, I've sorta figured the IC out but that is really helpful info.

Top Bottom