• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I would prepare yourself for the worst, especially with Chrom...

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
It's definitely something to look out for but:
1. Gets ruined by characters with counters.
2. Gets gimped hard by windboxes(Mario's FLUDD, Squirtle's neutral b).
Those were a couple of things I was looking into that would definitely hurt his recovery considering how bad it may be. Seems like the best option is to keep it Center Stage and play a better neutral game than your opponent, maintain control

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
It's definitely something to look out for but:
1. Gets ruined by characters with counters.
2. Gets gimped hard by windboxes(Mario's FLUDD, Squirtle's neutral b).
He definitely has his incredible speed on his side, you could definitely out play your opponents if you control the neutral carefully and maintain control. I don't see it being the end if he gets knocked off stage completely, like I said earlier he has a lot of trade stocks scenarios from what I can tell and what mew2king has predicted on his early breakdown video. It's not a good thing or a bad thing, but if you definitely have the stock lead it seems like the best scenario would be to trade stocks to avoid dragging out the match any longer than it needs to be to give your opponent the opportunity to gimp you because they know you have bad recovery.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Unfortunately not a lot of people are playing him in the final build of the game. We are getting more Ike, Marth, and Roy footage. The footage we do have is practically useless aside from seeing his moveset because two players who are playing him I probably never played smash before or they have played it on such a casual level they are just having fun (which is cool) but we didn't have enough footage in order to properly analyze him. It will probably take the rest of next year if not 6 months in to decide how viable he is. I don't think its recovery is going to affect him as much as people think, he has a lot more positive qualities about him that could definitely outweigh his bad recovery

Here's a Roy vs Chrom match that shows some interesting stuff, particularly about Chrom's aether.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWPqW_5vBY
The players were messing around somewhat, so it's probably not fair to judge characters off of it, but the two players stay pretty even through the match until the end, where Chrom gets killed because of aether.

The big issue as I see it with Chrom's recovery is that disjoints can hit him out of it. I believe he can angle his descent, but not his ascent, so if he recovers high he can adjust a bit. It's also fast enough that I don't see a ton of players risking an approach from behind to gimp him (though it is completely possible). He also has super armor on his first swing, which helps if he's right next to his opponent on startup. But if he has to recover from deep below stage, any character with a disjointed poking tool can hit him for free if they are still on stage. Roy can charge neutral-b, Link has down tilt, Marth can f-smash, Cloud could potentially d-air or f-smash (I'm not super familiar with how all his hitboxes work). If the move doesn't clank with projectiles, those characters will have a field day.

All of that being said, Chrom's neutral seems pretty strong. Seemingly strong enough to keep up with Roy. The player in the video showed that if you can scare your opponent into an air-dodge, it could net you a pretty easy kill. I also feel Chrom could be a strong doubles pick, standing by to dunk anyone who gets passed by a partner. Sure that's not always the best move, but a partner helps to mitigate all of his recovery's weaknesses so he doesn't have to worry about being gimped from the ledge as much, and an extra early kill option could definitely help.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Here's a Roy vs Chrom match that shows some interesting stuff, particularly about Chrom's aether.
The players were messing around somewhat, so it's probably not fair to judge characters off of it, but the two players stay pretty even through the match until the end, where Chrom gets killed because of aether.

The big issue as I see it with Chrom's recovery is that disjoints can hit him out of it. I believe he can angle his descent, but not his ascent, so if he recovers high he can adjust a bit. It's also fast enough that I don't see a ton of players risking an approach from behind to gimp him (though it is completely possible). He also has super armor on his first swing, which helps if he's right next to his opponent on startup. But if he has to recover from deep below stage, any character with a disjointed poking tool can hit him for free if they are still on stage. Roy can charge neutral-b, Link has down tilt, Marth can f-smash, Cloud could potentially d-air or f-smash (I'm not super familiar with how all his hitboxes work). If the move doesn't clank with projectiles, those characters will have a field day.

All of that being said, Chrom's neutral seems pretty strong. Seemingly strong enough to keep up with Roy. The player in the video showed that if you can scare your opponent into an air-dodge, it could net you a pretty easy kill. I also feel Chrom could be a strong doubles pick, standing by to dunk anyone who gets passed by a partner. Sure that's not always the best move, but a partner helps to mitigate all of his recovery's weaknesses so he doesn't have to worry about being gimped from the ledge as much, and an extra early kill option could definitely help.
Seriously, the more I read about Chrom, the more I think he is pretty similar to limitless Cloud.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc

He stands a good chance with his speed and a good neutral game. I don't see a lot of people challenging his aether with it having armor and it setting up a trade stock situation.

I imagine people will challenge his recovery quite often, but only when it's safe to do so. The armor is only on the bottom, before he starts actually recovering, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to see people going above him to throw out a long hitbox to either gimp or trade. Now if Chrom can adjust on the way down, he could potentially b-reverse aether to catch opponents behind him. It really depends on the hitbox.

Despite the way his sword works, I feel that his worst matchups are going to be against other swordies, who will have the easiest time countering his shenanigans. That's kind of a problem because most swordies seem strong in Ultimate and will likely be swarming everywhere. Personally, that's great because sword matchups are some of my favorite to play, but competitively, ouch.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
I imagine people will challenge his recovery quite often, but only when it's safe to do so. The armor is only on the bottom, before he starts actually recovering, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to see people going above him to throw out a long hitbox to either gimp or trade. Now if Chrom can adjust on the way down, he could potentially b-reverse aether to catch opponents behind him. It really depends on the hitbox.

Despite the way his sword works, I feel that his worst matchups are going to be against other swordies, who will have the easiest time countering his shenanigans. That's kind of a problem because most swordies seem strong in Ultimate and will likely be swarming everywhere. Personally, that's great because sword matchups are some of my favorite to play, but competitively, ouch.
Im.going to be doing some extensive testing of his recovery when the game comes out. It looks faster and stronger than ikes recovery, so i dont think it will be that easy to challenge. Thats my PO but i am going to be testing it thoroughly

Im.going to be doing some extensive testing of his recovery when the game comes out. It looks faster and stronger than ikes recovery, so i dont think it will be that easy to challenge. Thats my PO but i am going to be testing it thoroughly
I hope you're right. I'll be playing Chrom regardless. He seems like a lot of fun and could be the FE character I pour a lot of time into, since I always have one...

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
I hope you're right. I'll be playing Chrom regardless. He seems like a lot of fun and could be the FE character I pour a lot of time into, since I always have one...
Him roy marth and ike are the only FE characters i like (robin should be replaced by eliwood or hector imo. Waste of a slot lol) roy got the buffs he needed and the game engine benefits him REALLY well. I feel the same for Chrom but im not going to let his recovery steer me away from developing his metagame

Zenos

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xenos15
Let me know if you need me to test something on Chrom, this thread could use some more positivity!
Just a few things,

Can Chrom fastfall fair into dash grab at low percents? It looks possible but I was just making sure.

Also, does dthrow up b work as a combo at any percents?

Lastly, is there any way to combo opponents into up b offstage for a suicide kill?

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Just a few things,

Can Chrom fastfall fair into dash grab at low percents? It looks possible but I was just making sure.

Also, does dthrow up b work as a combo at any percents?

Lastly, is there any way to combo opponents into up b offstage for a suicide kill?
At very low %s, Downthrow combos into upB for 31.2%.
It's important to remember that his upB is not exactly Ike's Aether. He does an initial slash similar to Ike's Final Smash that leads into the aerial part, so you want enemies in front of you, not above you. It deals over 25% damage so it's pretty strong. Kills at around 140% with no rage. According to the game, it is called "Soaring Slash".

Fair or Bair into grab only works at really low %s because it doesn't have a sourspot and tends to knock them down. However you can true combo fair into upB or dash attack at a bit higher %s and to DED most of the time. UpAir comboes into upB at mid %s but you have to do it next to the ground or offstage to be able to jump again in time (fulljump rising uptilt recovery takes until you land): this is how you suicide combo into it.

First hit Nair has enough stun to combo into upB at any% (need to short hop upB at higher %s) even at the point where it Koes. Not the easiest confirm but it works. However, First hit of Nair true combos into F-smash at almost any% and kills A LOT earlier.

EDIT: Finally, Dair on standing opponent always spikes if it connects and leads into any aerial unless % is very high. upB Does the must damage by far and the other aerials can't KO at these %s anyways.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Soaring Slash also has armor even during the initial slash, so you can even throw it out in the neutral to beat out stuff and deal 25% damage! Not bad, but punishable specially if there's platforms above.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Soaring Slash also has armor even during the initial slash, so you can even throw it out in the neutral to beat out stuff and deal 25% damage! Not bad, but punishable specially if there's platforms above.
It also looks like it will be very interesting to see how it can be used in combos (or Chrombos, because why not) whether as a damage dealing combo ender (the move does quite a bit of damage: 22% or 26% for the full hit depending on 1v1 multiplier) or to close out a stock (using it near a ledge to spike someone)

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
It also looks like it will be very interesting to see how it can be used in combos (or Chrombos, because why not) whether as a damage dealing combo ender (the move does quite a bit of damage: 22% or 26% for the full hit depending on 1v1 multiplier) or to close out a stock (using it near a ledge to spike someone)
Posted my findings on using upB as combo ender a post above. It can rack up a lot at low %s,. It indeed works on the ledge to spike someone or suicide!

Arthur97

Smash Master
This is more like it! Talk about what Soaring Slash can do rather than what Blazer does that it can't.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I really hope tournament announcers always call Chrom doing a combo a Chrombo. "YOOOOOOOOOOO, Did you see that CHROMBO? He zeroed to deathed him!"

D

Deleted member

So...people have come around? Wow, is the Smash base fickle.
Tbh we didn't really understand how goddamn good his ground/aerial game is on stage until after release, prerelease all we knew was that he was an echo of roy with aether. That sounds REALLY bad at first glance.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Tbh we didn't really understand how goddamn good his ground/aerial game is on stage until after release, prerelease all we knew was that he was an echo of roy with aether. That sounds REALLY bad at first glance.
To be honest, I don't even really mind his recovery. Still probably like it better than Luigi's...poor guy.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
A week before the game was out people were saying Chrom was terrible.

I literally messed around with this guy for ten minutes in the lab yesterday and he's nuts. I like characters that can play neutral really well.

D

Deleted member

A week before the game was out people were saying Chrom was terrible.

I literally messed around with this guy for ten minutes in the lab yesterday and he's nuts. I like characters that can play neutral really well.

He's ****ing busted I love him

Last edited by a moderator:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Reminds me of how people felt about Smash 4 Cloud when he came out as DLC where people were ranking as only mid tier only for him to be the 2nd best character in the game.

Turns out "Just gimp him" is easier said than done when you have to win the neutral first

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I don't even really mind his recovery. Still probably like it better than Luigi's...poor guy.
Well the good thing about his aether is that opponents can't challenge it unless the either have a lead or have a projectile/dijoint. If you try to baxxk

I'm gonna have to switch from Lucina. Damn.
You should keep Lucina, he's going to have problems with projectiles that can gimp him (Pikachu/Pichu, Ridley, Snake, Link).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You should keep Lucina, he's going to have problems with projectiles that can gimp him (Pikachu/Pichu, Ridley, Snake, Link).
It's not like Lucina doesn't. Lucina/Marth have a fairly bad recovery as well with neither their sword dance or shield breaker carrying forward momentum. And maybe it's just me, but sweet spotting the ledge in this game seems so much more difficult than I remember in past games. I keep missing it and landing on the stage.

Chrom's is worse than Roy/Marth/Lucina, but I'd argue all four are low tier in terms of viable recoveries. They all need to win neutral and control the center of the stage. Chrom, arguably, does this the best of the four with his worse recovery being what balances him out.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Cmon LancerStaff LancerStaff , where are you my dude? You were SO confident you know what you were talking about in a game you hadn’t played, a character with no more than 2 minutes of footage available. Also wasn’t Chrom supposed to be bad because Roy is fundamentally a bad character? TWasn’t there supposed to be NO safe on shield options in this game? Where are you now dude, are not gonna admit you aren’t as wise as you think you are?

D

Deleted member

Cmon LancerStaff LancerStaff , where are you my dude? You were SO confident you know what you were talking about in a game you hadn’t played, a character with no more than 2 minutes of footage available. Also wasn’t Chrom supposed to be bad because Roy is fundamentally a bad character? TWasn’t there supposed to be NO safe on shield options in this game? Where are you now dude, are not gonna admit you aren’t as wise as you think you are?
Bro I agree with you but idk if you gotta be such a douchenozzle about being right

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152

There's really no point in beefing over some random over the net, trust me. Focus on improving instead.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Bro I agree with you but idk if you gotta be such a douchenozzle about being right
Have you actually read this thread? I don’t usually act like this, but something about people who think they know everything when they really know nothing really ticks me off. Sorry if I came off too harsh but this guy was asking for it with the way he talked to everyone.

D

Deleted member

Have you actually read this thread? I don’t usually act like this, but something about people who think they know everything when they really know nothing really ticks me off. Sorry if I came off too harsh but this guy was asking for it with the way he talked to everyone.
Yeah, now that I've read a page or two back they've been kinda jerks. Still though, it's been a while since the arguments have ended and I'm pretty sure Chrom being top tier is a victory enough for you. There's really no need to lash back at them to renew a small beef when it's been over for a while. Still though, I respect your decision and there's more power to you if you wanna keep it going. I'm not a mod or anything lol

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Yeah, now that I've read a page or two back they've been kinda jerks. Still though, it's been a while since the arguments have ended and I'm pretty sure Chrom being top tier is a victory enough for you. There's really no need to lash back at them to renew a small beef when it's been over for a while. Still though, I respect your decision and there's more power to you if you wanna keep it going. I'm not a mod or anything lol
I get what you mean dude. I wasn’t planning to go any further than that post. Its just you can’t deny there is teeny bit of gratification when you school something who talks down to others and they end up being abhorrently wrong. Sorry for sounding like a “douchenozzle” lmao, ill work on that.

Top Bottom