• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I was wrong Cloud thread

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Every time people told me they wanted a Final Fantasy character in Smash, I laughed it off and told them it was impossible due to not having a main series release in years on Nintendo. Most of those were about the Black Mage though.

Neverthless to say, when I saw the trailer at the end of the Direct I couldn't make words.

D

Deleted member

You hate Cloud but you haven't even played his game?
I guess it stemmed from blind hatred and finding the character to be overrated.
After watching some FF7 videos, my thoughts about him have changed, but I am mostly indifferent to him now.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Back when sm4sh speculation began I thought cloud would never get in. Ever.

Man did I swallow my words when I saw his trailer. Immediate hype, confusion, and elation all mixed into one great feeling. Instant main lol

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Funny thing, because I've been so busy lately, I actually had no idea there was a Nintendo Direct at all, until I happened across it just as it was playing live... just before the final reveal trailer.

I was thinking to myself "ah, what lucky timing! this has gotta be a smash trailer!"

Then the screen goes dark and the music plays. It was still vague enough that I couldn't place it, then the Final Fantasy logo comes up.. Final Fantasy VII

*suspicious eyes*

It's Cloud

"They're allowed to do that now?... Okay!"

Shamsy

FIST OF JUSTICE
NNID
Shamsy92
After the heart attack and amnesia that followed? Not sure it's all blur. I suppose I was extremely pleased haaa.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I've already posted here, but I haven'the said "I was wrong" yet.
Of course I was wrong in thinking he didn't had a chance (but, seriously, who thought he really had any?), but on what I was really wrong was my consideration on the moveset. At first I thought his moveset were uninspired, boring and "already seen". But after watching some analysis of it, I saw how unique he was, and I can't wait to play with him on Midgar.
So yeah, I was wrong on his moveset, and I'm glad of it.

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
I was wrong about Cloud. I never thought Square-Enix would ever get a rep in Smash. I did know that if they did get a rep, it would definitely be Cloud Strife. It felt like a pipe dream, though. Words cannot explain my shock when I heard the Final Fantasy VII Opening theme playing during the direct. A part of me thought it was a joke or something. I'm so happy to have been wrong.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Please give him a Cecil alt. PLEASE GIVE HIM A CECIL ALT.

Anyway, I'm currently playing through FF7 on my iPhone to celebrate Cloud's inclusion. I want to at least get to the point where I can use all of his limit breaks to appreciate his specials and mechanics. I'm a bit miffed he doesn't seem to be using any materia, like any of the Monster Skills or Steal or anything. His Limit Break specials, while nice, only represent a fraction of... eh, forget it. I KNOW I won't be happy with a character I'm familiar with if their every move isn't a love letter to their origin game. I'm weird like that.

I actually don't like it very much so far. 3 party members only at a time, confusing visuals, the fact that spells aren't multi-target by default, a much more limited equipment system, you can't unequip a character... it feels bare-bones in terms of gameplay. But then again I'm only 8 hours in and just got Beta and Chocobo Lure, maybe it gets better as time goes on. I'll SOLDIER on for Cloud!

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
You're darn right I was wrong. About 99% of the fanbase was wrong, and I'm pretty sure the final 1% would have counted themselves as hopelessly optimistic just this morning.

Seriously, what does this say about the possible remaining DLC characters? They could be literally anyone at this point. Goku might actually get in Smash in your lifetime.
http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/96421-Wtf-Are-You-Doing-Cat.gif?1 (*saying)

Dude, I know that Cloud's trailer now means that even the most NOT Nintendo character can be in Smash but, GOKU and Cloud are as close as an ant and the... clouds. :rotfl:

Goku is NOT originally from a video game and that nullifies his chances. That makes them fall to ZERO. Understand that.
You cannot simply compare Goku and Cloud. Bringing Goku would mean to bring my cat in smash and that would just be as it is : Absurd.

Goku indeed had some video games BUT he's from a manga, whereas Cloud IS a videogame character and not a manga one.
Now stop crying and saying "omg it's the end of the wurldz Cloud is here everybody's in" NO. He IS a video-game character, and that affects the chances of OTHERS video games characters. Not manga ones.
At this point, just bring Jotaro or DIO if you want to talk about manga characters... That surely would be nice... :estatic: but impossible.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/96421-Wtf-Are-You-Doing-Cat.gif?1 (*saying)

Dude, I know that Cloud's trailer now means that even the most NOT Nintendo character can be in Smash but, GOKU and Cloud are as close as an ant and the... clouds. :rotfl:

Goku is NOT originally from a video game and that nullifies his chances. That makes them fall to ZERO. Understand that.
You cannot simply compare Goku and Cloud. Bringing Goku would mean to bring my cat in smash and that would just be as it is : Absurd.

Goku indeed had some video games BUT he's from a manga, whereas Cloud IS a videogame character and not a manga one.
Now stop crying and saying "omg it's the end of the wurldz Cloud is here everybody's in" NO. He IS a video-game character, and that affects the chances of OTHERS video games characters. Not manga ones.
At this point, just bring Jotaro or DIO if you want to talk about manga characters... That surely would be nice... :estatic: but impossible.
Goku's been in more games on Nintendo systems than Cloud has, I believe. soooooo :p

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Goku in Smash would be awesome, honestly.

However, it's also impossible and I accept it.

Besides, Goku is more of a pipe dream than something I actually want.

Then again, so was Cloud, but that guy originates from a video game, so I'll go ahead and assume that THIS rule still applies.

Last edited:

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
In my naive, childish heart I had hoped he would be in a smash game, but I had given up on him actually getting in. I was wrong to give up and in my group of friends I seem to be the only one that is genuinely excited :D

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
For all Goku fans, I recommend you to play Super Smash Flash, it's really well balanced game and with interesting third party characters, and Goku is extremly fun to play on it. ^^

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice

When I said Goku I meant it with a bit of exaggeration, since Sakurai specifically said no mango characters in Smash. The point is that the qualifications for an "eligible" character are way different than we previously thought. I used Goku since he and Cloud were, up until very recently, basically in the same boat in most Smash fans eyes: just wishful thinking

While Cloud is indeed a videogame character, he's largely associated with Playstation. FFVII was the first game in the series to leave Nintendo for Sony, which was a fact featured heavily in the advertising. His inclusion shows that Smash isn't just about Nintendo All Stars anymore; it's opening up to Video Game All Stars in general (or the ones who've brushed with Nintendo, anyways)

That said, be careful about saying Goku will never get into Smash since 1. As previously stated, people said the same thing about Cloud, and 2. It's always possible for the goalposts to shift for some reason. If Jump passes along enough money for a space and Smash's next entry is under new management then who knows what could happen (though I'm personally not fond of the idea).

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
When I said Goku I meant it with a bit of exaggeration, since Sakurai specifically said no mango characters in Smash. The point is that the qualifications for an "eligible" character are way different than we previously thought. I used Goku since he and Cloud were, up until very recently, basically in the same boat in most Smash fans eyes: just wishful thinking

That said, be careful about saying Goku will never get into Smash since 1. As previously stated, people said the same thing about Cloud, and 2. It's always possible for the goalposts to shift for some reason. If Jump passes along enough money for a space and Smash's next entry is under new management then who knows what could happen (though I'm personally not fond of the idea).
Yeah, on the count of ignorance. Cloud(Yeah, yeah, cameo) and Final Fantasy games have appeared on Nintendo systems and Square games have been released on Nintendo systems in recent years. These facts alone shows that Nintendo's relationship with Square isn't so bad that they won't let Nintendo touch their property and characters owned by Square being in smash is a possibility. Goku's only chance in being in Smash comes from Sakurai being a liar since he said that only characters who originated from video games will be considered, not from the recent unveiling of Cloud.

The only reason I wasn't thinking about Cloud specifically in smash was because I never played any Final Fantasy games.

D

Deleted member

Cloud is now the second best character in the game, oh how much this character grew. Cloud did do really well in the M.E.T.A and is a nice character to have in Smash. Is Cloud going to be in the next Switch game?

Top Bottom