• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I was actually writing this post over a month ago... but didn't post it

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I have become some what greedy with my Sheik knowledge. lol
Anyways... I have a question for you about Diddy Kong.

WHAT MAKES HIM GOOD!?!?!?

Well, for one he can force approaches, he can out space people while restricting people's movement AND he force actions so he can punish them.

Now I talk to many many different people, including Gimpy (barely lol), Tristan, <3, Armada (the Sheik Armada), Neo, CRASHiC, Xyro, Innocentroads (it's actually hard to talk to him....) and others.
Each person has contributed to my understanding of how to use Sheik.

One thing is that in Brawl you need to punish, out space or combo to deal damage.
That may seem obvious but seriously ask yourself how you do this in a match. Most will say something along the lines of:

"Well I space with Bair, use Needle's some, f-tilt lock and combo."

<3 and I where talking about how most people rush into the fray like mad men. You may not realize it but you ALL do (or at least the ones of you that I have played/seen videos of).
Now Sheik has enough speed but what you aren't realize is that to approach with Sheik you most of the time need to be in the air. What is bad about this is that you are forced to land, relatively close to the foe and you eat what... 4 frame of landing lag.
IDK about you but getting close to somebody and eating some lag doesn't sound like a good day.
Even if we shield dash we eat some lag, which is still not good.

Now I want you all to go look at Sheiks frame data. You will notice that if we aren't the fastest overall all character in the entire game that we are **** close. That is a huge + to Sheik (no duh....)

Now look at Needle's. Needle's do what? "They force both an action and an approach."
They have transcendent priority, which means that they are freakin awesome and cut through everything. You can also through two+ Needle's which means they cannot be power shielded.

What I am trying to say is that we NEED to play more campy.
Needle's is a perfect answer. The idea is to force people in close and then use your speed to take advantage of ANYTHING they have.

Now one thing that really urks (annoys) me is that people think Sheiks sucks at OoS.
IMO, shield against anything dealing with air. It cover her very well + we can USamsh/Nair OoS. The USmash can tipper them and I recently done a OoS USmash on a Dairing Peach. Nair is also a good idea, but last resort because it puts you into the air.

Another thing that we need to do is piss our foes off. Spam Needle's, counter any approach and then put them into the same position + run away some. This will tick them off some and maybe help with that punish thing.

If you don't like that idea then sorry, I'm just telling you how to be better and utilize Sheiks advantages.

Something everyone else NEEDS to do is juggle.
Sheik= supah fast
We can punish people above us really well + out speed their landing.
Keeping a foe in the air= forcing an action + they HAVE to eat 6 frame of landing lag.
Seriously though, D-Throw is beast.

Also play at the ledge. Keeping a foe off stage and making no attempt to gimp is a good idea. Instead of putting you in a position that forces you to make an action try stay on stage, Chain if they get close to the ledge and punish any attempt to get back onto the stage.
When you can you may want to Nair for a KO or chain hog (it is safer) to keep them from grabbing the ledge.

Basically with this post I am saying that you all are playing Sheik a way that keeps her from taking full advantage of her strengths. If you want to go all out play B+ or Melee where there is a lot more hit stun and where Needle's cancel when you touch the ground.
If you want to play her effectively in Brawl you have to play where the mechanics give you the advantage.

That said sometimes going all out for maybe 10 seconds will make your foe go "WTF!" and they'll probably have a little bit more trouble punishing you than if you did that all of the time.
Also keep track of you decay so you can decay combo when they get in close.
Try and kill early BTW. <,< She has OPTIONS to do that other than a simple f-tilt> USmash (even though that is awesome).

If you disagree with the information above argue with mechanics not opinion.

Judo777

Smash Master
eh good advice. I agree with some of your tactics but i must say that playing any one way for too long is not a good idea its good to mixup aggression and passive playing. Oh and only other comment was the last thing you said. Killing at lower percents is much easier said than done lol

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
eh good advice. I agree with some of your tactics but i must say that playing any one way for too long is not a good idea its good to mixup aggression and passive playing. Oh and only other comment was the last thing you said. Killing at lower percents is much easier said than done lol
True, you just gotta move on once they find out how to break through your wallish.

Also, I totally agree it is easier said than done. -_-
I'm coming up with new ways to kill. I even found a techable kill set up that will kill Snake at like 68%.
I'm not sharing it cause it will get stolen and then by the time I get to a tourney everyone will know to avoid it. -_-

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
True, you just gotta move on once they find out how to break through your wallish.

Also, I totally agree it is easier said than done. -_-
I'm coming up with new ways to kill. I even found a techable kill set up that will kill Snake at like 68%.
I'm not sharing it cause it will get stolen and then by the time I get to a tourney everyone will know to avoid it. -_-
This never happens.

Top Bottom