• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*****, I want my money back!!! (Need help against peach)

°UÇK

Smash Journeyman
A short while I picked up zelda because i got bored of the high tiers but mainly because its so much fun spamming fairs/bairs (3 "knees" in a single shorthop in any direction, yeeeha :laugh: ) I know all the advanced techniques and do pretty well against most characters especially space animals.

Well, friday... I challenged a friend to a money match. His peach against my Zelda, 3 out of 5, mlg rules.
I was confident about it but lost... really bad.

I NEED HELP! its not about the 1€ I lost its about getting in that greedy peachy cheap face and getting my self esteem back.

His peach is not that good, he knows advanced techniques but doesnt use them except of l-cancel and floatcancel. no wavedashes, no egdeteches
He is notorious with his pattern: he grabs a veggie and starts to float, he throws the veggie, dair to l-cancel nair to dsmash. I thought i could get him when/after he tosses the vedgetable. jumping out of the shield and grab it or just hit him with a fair/bair, upsmash out of shield... but most of the time i get punished somehow.

Another problem is to kill peach. it impossible to chain her at high percentages and i have a trouble time edgeguarding her.

Any good counterpick stages?

Advises are highly appriciated, thanks in advance

Zone

Smash Champion
no wavedashes, no egdeteches
Ok, if he doesn't do any of that know this:
1.) If he isn't in the air hovering, then his choices to outrun ur attacks and bait you are ALOT more limited. Feel free when he's standing to mix up grabs and dash attacks. Pay close attention to which one he prefers to counter. Like if you dash attack him 1-2 times and get shield grabbed. Maybe next time you charge at him, Grab.

2.) Peach has a nearly invincible up+B, she probably doesn't need to edge tech.

He is notorious with his pattern: he grabs a veggie and starts to float, he throws the veggie, dair to l-cancel nair to dsmash. I thought i could get him when/after he tosses the vedgetable. jumping out of the shield and grab it or just hit him with a fair/bair, upsmash out of shield... but most of the time i get punished somehow.
I use to think catching turnips anytime was a Good Idea, but it's not. This is what I learned from laying lots of Zelda vs Peach.

1.) First I'll address the turnip approach. Depending on the stage, if you have plenty of room like say, Final D, Poke'mon Stadium. Then catch only (Long distance thrown turnips). When Peach is medium distance I'd say like. If Zelda's body was a measurement(Standing). 4 Zelda's away. You *might* be able to catch one and throw it back really fast before PEach can do something. But note how high peach is in her float. If she's too high, I suggest, Blocking then escaping her melee range, and repeat until an opening is found. If She is really close with a turnip, Naryu's Love is a good choice. However if she's floating above you, she can't shield your aerials, so keep her from getting that close with a spaced (Retreating b-air - f-air) Let me explain why it has to be retreating.

a.) If you throw your kick at peach, and she decides to back up just in time. Your momentum will keep you flying forward, even after your kick is done an you'll get punished. However if you are retreating with a kick, Peach will never reach you, and you'll be safe, and spaced. Because frankly if your retreating and she's retreating ur too far to punish. If she can't punish you like that she may get too close. Then that's when the kicks and possible airdodges can commence.

Don't catch turnips unless she is fairly far away. She wants you to catch them.

Another problem is to kill peach. it impossible to chain her at high percentages and i have a trouble time edgeguarding her.
All you need is one kick, no need to chain into kick. But know this, Don't forget your grab. If a aware peach realizes you pretty much only need to spam kicks to get a hit in. Then she'll shield alot more probably, and sometimes Zelda's B-throw at high percents can kill. Just practice spacing, and don't kick out of shield if she is able to shield herself. Because PEach can N-air out of shield, against ur approaching(not retreating) kick. So, you should hold your kicks tilt he las second when you jump near peach, then get ur l-cancel Naryu's love or jab, or smash attack. If your spaced, and she tries to punish you it's not going to work until she waits after your ground move. Which you have other options at this time.

This won't work against a dumb peach because they just throw attacks out merely at random. A Peach who knows the power of the foot, when you jump will most likely shield. and hold it until the kick comes. Which gives you enough time to short hop to fast fall - L'cancled b-air or f-air.

Edguarding Peach: Zelda doesn't have alot going for her in edgeguarding Peach like My marth does but this is what I do.

a.) If Peach is beneath the stage, you can stall on the edge until she up+B's at your invincibility frames and ledge hog. If she up+B's passed you, and you know she's gonna make it into the stage, jump in and nuetral air. (I hit double Z for the l-cancel here), and follow up. Since Zelda's N-air seems to almost send pple flying at random directions.

b.) If peach is medium with the stage. (after her jump of course), I suggest a short hop on the edge, to keep her guessing ur approach. Then jump out there for a kick. Mainly try and wait out her Float if you can. sometimes she'll try to approach anyways. Don't get greedy, I get greedy all the time, and Pritch just backs up a little bit and goes "haha". Or he is able to airdodge in. Most people tend to have a pattern. Watch it, If peach tends to air dodge in alot. Do a bunch of fake approaches and punish her after the airdodge. Eventually peach will learn her lesson, and try other things, which now makes ur game of guessing what she'll do harder.

c.) when peach is coming in from above(Kinda high). I tend to actually try to Din's Fire her, because that's nearly all I can do besides a double jump --> kick which is pretty predictable. If she's in umbrella mode though the game is different. She has, limited options, she can basically move back and forth slow, Fall fast, possibly hit you with an open umbrella but thats about it. Most peaches fall fast, and go for the edge. Anticipate that and kick under them kinda, to catch them falling fast. Or, if you're like me and like the b-air more. You'll already have ur back turned. and you can wavedash back grab ledge, or jump out kick (beneath her to catch her fast fall). And if you miss after all that. If you fast fell ur kick. you can beat her to the edge. (warning: If she beats you to the edge. and you have no jump. You are dead. unless the peach doesn't realize you can't do anything with a vertical recovery.

d.) If she's coming in SUPER high, nothing you can do really. Just wait til she gives her decent and plan your aerials, or trick aerials --> Ground moves accordingly.

Any good counterpick stages?

Advises are highly appriciated, thanks in advance
Hmmm... vs Peach. I tend to pick Rainbow Cruise, less float canceling game for her there vs your zelda. But this is my preferred stage mainly because I play this stage quite a bit.

But you want small death zones.
Examples: Yoshi's STory, Fountain of Dreams.

Don't get me wrong, Zelda's recovery is pretty good but, the early death vs peach for a kick on those stages are more beautiful.

If Peach jumps a little too high, you can up-tilt her. Or give her and approaching fast fell, Up-air, lcancel --> Grab at low percents. (More flashy than anything, but It looks so cool I gotta keep doing it.)

Your peach sounds like a aerial peach. and if she doesn't wave dash, and she DOES happen to try ground approaches, Jab stops nearly all of it, and so does smash attack. Careful attacking peaches shield, she can do stuff out of it just like you. So space kicks.

If you find yourself shielding an aerial. Hold down on ur control stick slightly, and hold in ur shield button only a little lightly, to cover your feet for PEaches Down-smash. If she hits you with the down smash and throws you in the direction behind peach. Hit back C-stick, at low percents you can sometimes kick peach right afer it. If your peach doesn't know how to DI--> Downthrow to Kick. IF he does (Most likely) Just do the throw that does the most damage, or gets peach off the edge.

I'm sure i know alot more things, I just can't pick 10,000 different scenarios out of my head.

Your ideal distance you wanna be is medium range. close enough so if Peach pulls a turnip you can kick her, but far away enough her ground A, moves can't hit you, or you can easily retreat from an aerial and punish. It's kinda close but not that close. You want to be about as close as Marth does, with his sword reach. If you can visualize that.

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
Zone has the right idea, personally, i don't have too much trouble with peaches.

°UÇK

Smash Journeyman
Zone, I have to thank you a lot. I got to play that peach again and the match was fairly even. 2 of 3, first lost, second won, third lost due to bad sweetspoting ó.ò'

retreating aerials was the best advise ever, neutral b reflect turnips when peach is closeup wasn't, got punished the majority of times because of the lack of knockback. for the edge tactics: stalling is great as well as fake edgehop to egdehog. often times an egdehopped nair onto the stage set her up behind me for a bair, delicious.

all in all this helped me alot, thank you guys

Zone

Smash Champion
Zone, I have to thank you a lot. I got to play that peach again and the match was fairly even. 2 of 3, first lost, second won, third lost due to bad sweetspoting ó.ò'

retreating aerials was the best advise ever, neutral b reflect turnips when peach is closeup wasn't, got punished the majority of times because of the lack of knockback. for the edge tactics: stalling is great as well as fake edgehop to egdehog. often times an egdehopped nair onto the stage set her up behind me for a bair, delicious.

all in all this helped me alot, thank you guys
Hey np, and sorry about the naryu's love thing, it's very situational. But what I was trying to point out is never reflect, And if you do best time to do it is when she's real close. Other than that, it's free punishment especially if she's floating.

Top Bottom