• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I tripped 6 times in the span of one minute. Random? I call bullcrap.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
There is no other conclusion other than Brawl has it out for me, or my copy is busted or something. How does a .01% chance of tripping translate into such a frequent screw over in the course of one minute?

I think the frequency of tripping increases to whoever is doing the best. I was seriously pulling some crazy *** air combos with Kirby, but the MOMENT I touch down, I trip. Ok, no big deal, back to the air and threw three dropkicks, I trip again. The moment I get out of THAT trip, I trip ****ING AGAIN! Then while rolling away far enough to advance, I TRIP AGAIN! Then, right before I was about to deal the death blow, I tripped into Ike's F-smash, and died.

I lost.

Now? I officially am pissed with the game.

Explain that **** to me.

RyuuAqua

Smash Rookie
If anything, wouldn't this show that tripping IS random? For each of the six trips in that match, I bet there's an entire match you overlook where no one tripped.

Try doing the same thing, with the same characters and stages, a few more times. If trips happen 100% of the time under those given circumstances, you may THEN be on to something.

Zek

Smash Ace
It's random. Unless you were on ice or Tingle just threw out bananas or something.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
If anything, wouldn't this show that tripping IS random? For each of the six trips in that match, I bet there's an entire match you overlook where no one tripped.

Try doing the same thing, with the same characters and stages, a few more times. If trips happen 100% of the time under those given circumstances, you may THEN be on to something.

So what you are saying is that the frequency of the trips during that match were only caused by a match that might not have had any tripping in it...?

....Are you serious? D=

THEN THAT MEANS THAT THE GAME DOES HAVE IT OUT FOR ME! >=(

P.E

Smash Apprentice
6 at short intervals is really rare. Congrats. XD

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
6 at short intervals is really rare. Congrats. XD
...I hope you know, that there is a crying baby in the next room...

I have always wanted to hear what a choking baby sounded like....

Do not test me with your HUMOR BOY o.O

Don't you know...i'm loco? @.@

Seriously, I lost 30$ because of that...

I am probably going to go beat an old person with a baseball bat a la Ness.

Riodsey

Smash Cadet
My personal record is 3 in a minute (without counting when Tingle throw bananas).
I always laugh with tripping when it happens at the start of a match, it's like you were going: "I'm gonna r@pe his *** right now!" and then you trip, lol.
Well, there's nothing to complain about, it is in the game and you can't change that. I think that was Sakurai thought, to make other people win sometimes.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, if it's really random then, theoretically, you could be tripping all the time, so it might be very well possible that it happened to you 6 times in a minute.

Finesse

Smash Rookie
There is no other conclusion other than Brawl has it out for me, or my copy is busted or something. How does a .01% chance of tripping translate into such a frequent screw over in the course of one minute?

I think the frequency of tripping increases to whoever is doing the best. I was seriously pulling some crazy *** air combos with Kirby, but the MOMENT I touch down, I trip. Ok, no big deal, back to the air and threw three dropkicks, I trip again. The moment I get out of THAT trip, I trip ****ING AGAIN! Then while rolling away far enough to advance, I TRIP AGAIN! Then, right before I was about to deal the death blow, I tripped into Ike's F-smash, and died.

I lost.

Now? I officially am pissed with the game.

Explain that **** to me.
I won the lotto the other day. This must imply that the numbers generated were not random. The lotto MUST be rigged.
Unlikely does not imply "not random".
Random does not imply an even distribution of the said event over some period of time, either.
How did you come up with 0.01% chance?
You're simply angry at what happened. Calm down, think things over, and wait until your senses come back to you.

Riodsey

Smash Cadet
Oh, and random things can happen quite often if you have bad luck.
For those who played pokemon, I've already seen someone having a freeze status for 30 turns. Doesn't mean the game hate you, or that it is bullcrap. The chance is there and it can happen, so we should just get used to it when that happens.

Ciel~Image

Smash Apprentice
I could see the chances increasing depending on how much of a lead someone has. It fits in with Sakurai's scrub mentality. Pity final smashes anyone? Help the loser, inhibit the winner. Enjoy a hearty laugh!

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
is random, just random. it's like the "miss" from many RPGs, so don't be very surprised about it, lo unico que te pasa es que tienes/tuviste muy mala suerte mi amigo

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Dude, it was 1% chance, not .01% chance.

Also, yes Hitaku concluded that your chances of tripping go up if you are winning and if you have a high percentage. He said it went up like 3% for each or something.

Also, tripping is the gayest concept ever and Sakurai is a n00b for even comming up with it.

wazgood

Smash Ace
too many people don't know what random really means.
in a true random situation with millions of people playing brawl every day, this was bound to happen eventually. hell, it'd be weird if this didn't happen

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I really can't stand tripping. I trip most with Fox. Oh, but anyways:

@ LavisFiend-

Now were you running and you tripped six times? I thought I would ask b/c a lot of characters' Down "A" moves cause people to trip as well. Just take a look at Luigi's Down "A" for example. Everytime he uses that move you trip. He has to hit you with his sweet spot, I think that is what it is called, for you to trip though.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
...I hope you know, that there is a crying baby in the next room...

I have always wanted to hear what a choking baby sounded like....

Do not test me with your HUMOR BOY o.O

Don't you know...i'm loco? @.@

Seriously, I lost 30$ because of that...

I am probably going to go beat an old person with a baseball bat a la Ness.
I feel for ya man.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
My friends and I find that the Wii can choose who trips and who wins...
It's a miracle sometimes... and other times... it's just hell
We even made it a shrine to give us good luck.... (yea right :D)

Koga

Smash Journeyman
I'm still not convinced that tripping is totally random either. I've had brawl since release and i've tripped maybe 4 times. And with all the brawl i play that's strange for something that's suposedly random. Me and my brother never trip, and one of our friends trips all the time. it makes no since, even a random factor is a consistent function, and there's nothing consistent about tripping.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
@ GreatClayMonkey-

*cries* You are right. Sometimes the truth really hurts. :urg: Stupid tripping.

EDIT:

@ Marie 54-

Yeah, I wish Sakurai would tell us why he put such a horrible feature in the game. I mean I would see if you just trip if someone, like Luigi, uses their Down "A" on you, but to have it random w/o a way to turn it off seems pretty dumb to me.

Knowing Sakurai, we will have to wait for two delays on the updates before we get a tripping update. Lol. (And yes I know they are stopping updates on the 14th)

Marie_54

Smash Ace
The last update on the dojo better be on trippin' or we are going to make Sakurai trip for the rest of his miserable life... Mwahahaha!

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I forget where I saw the topic, but somebody who did some testing found out that when there were two different Mario's, each attached the same Wavebird, one with 1 stock and one with 5 stock, out of 15 trips, the 5 stock one tripped 15 times and the 1 stock one never.

I think it's really another one of those "advantages" that Sakurai just loves to give to the losers oh so much.

InfiniteSmash1221

Smash Cadet
always happens to me when im about to go in for the KO :ohwell: , giving them a chance to get some hits back in on me. I try to ignore it as much as possible though and try to find ways to adjust to it.

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whenever one of my friends trip in brawl i usually hear.
-Oh you see that trip, that **** was nice
-Yo man, how do you do that ****
all sarcastically of course

I usually say "Yeah, All great fighting games had Tripping, like Tekken and Street fighter" >.>

Since u trip twice in a row in a match NOT against Diddy Kong, The game DOES have it out for you.
Show it who's boss by taking ur copy of brawl to a box of nails and keep stepping on it until you fall in real life.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I don't think we'll ever find out something about tripping until we check for it in the gamecode. It could be all random. It could be happening more often the better you perform. The game could have it out for you.

ipreferpi

Smash Apprentice
Assume that in a minute, there are 15 chances to trip.
Assume that the chance of tripping = 1% = 1/100.
So the chance of you tripping six times in one minute would be (1/100)^6*(99/100)^9 = .01^6*.99^9 = .000000000001 * .913517247483640899 = .000000000000913517247483640899

While that does seem pretty low, when you consider the amount of minutes of brawl played all over the world combined, it seems likely that SOMEONE would've gotten six trips within one minute. It goes to show that even things that you think are improbable are very probable.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Wow. That's some ****ty luck on your part. And tripping always seems to happen at the worst time possible, doesn't it? Purely psychological, but you sometimes wonder if karma and Murphy's law are more than just superstition...

There had better be an option to turn it off in SSB4. It's just so pointless.

I seriously can't believe that anyone on these boards actually likes tripping. "Yay! Now I can pretend my character is a mentally ******** two-year-old with vestibular leakage, corneal clouding, and two left feet in a room filled with banana peels! Thanks, Sakurai! I feel so special!"

D

Deleted member

I think the frequency of tripping increases to whoever is doing the best.
Explain that **** to me.
You explained it to yourself. The winning player is more likely to trip, get killed by stage obstacles, input incorrect commands, or randomly attack exploding items that appear in front of them. On the flip side, the losing player is less likely to trip, get killed by the stage or items, and often the game gives a seriously losing player a free wall tech, auto-escape DI, or a final smash upon starting a new stock. You might have noticed some of this already happening before your tripping incident. It is fairly inconsistent so it's hard to test, but it's definitely there.

Play a 99 stock match with bomb-ombs on spear pillar. I bet it ****s you in the ***.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
It's there because it randomizes gameplay. Sakurai obviously wanted to randomize the gameplay further and not just make it clear cut between who's going to win and who's going to lose everytime. I like the randomizing factors, it gives the game a "you never know who might win" kind of feeling. Gues some people like it and some people don't. The one-sided competitive factor is still there, the best player is still most likely to win, especially with items/gimmick stages off, but it's not as significant.

I find tripping to be funny, and it certainly is random because I didn't even experience it until a week and a half after launch.

Top Bottom