• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I tripped 6 times in the span of one minute. Random? I call bullcrap.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Sorry bro, but for those who play competively in brawl, especially for tourney players, I think we have a right to complain that having something that you have no control of and obstructs the way you play give us the right to complain. Sakurai should've added the option to turn this off. Personally tripping doesn't make any sense, for the fact that ALL CHARACTERS WITHIN THEIR OWN GAMES DO NOT TRIP AT ALL, unless something makes them trip like an icey terrain or some kind of similar obstacle. I mean common, how many of you guys played mario galaxy, did mario ever trip when he was blasting and running around through different galaxies? Or how about samus in metroid corruption, did she ever slipped when she was battling hoards of space pirates. Sonic probably ran over a billion miles already and hasn't slipped once ever since his first game, yet he's one of the characters that trip the most in brawl. I remember tripping in the Wind Waker with link, but its only happened on the Ice Island with its slippery terrain, so that was reasonable. Other than that, Link never tripped after that unless he got hit by something or couldn't climb some slippery hill.:(

As to this day I haven't tripped in any game just by running around, including every single fighting game I've owned, until I bought brawl.:urg:

So to have this addition of tripping in braw, does it make any sense at all?:confused:

My personal answer: NO!!! If someone can derive an Action Replay code that gets rid of tripping by running, I'll personally go to the store and buy an Action Replay disc right now just for the sake of brawl being more competitive rather than having "luck" that Sakurai personally favors. ****, Sakurai must really suck at brawl for him to personally favor tripping for the sake of the "Luck" it gives to players.:chuckle:

Finesse

Smash Rookie
Sorry bro, but for those who play competively in brawl, especially for tourney players, I think we have a right to complain that having something that you have no control of and obstructs the way you play give us the right to complain.
Yes, you have the right to complain. You have the right to say whatever you want about the game, even if you've never played any Smash title before.

Sakurai should've added the option to turn this off. Personally tripping doesn't make any sense, for the fact that ALL CHARACTERS WITHIN THEIR OWN GAMES DO NOT TRIP AT ALL, unless something makes them trip like an icey terrain or some kind of similar obstacle. I mean common, how many of you guys played mario galaxy, did mario ever trip when he was blasting and running around through different galaxies? Or how about samus in metroid corruption, did she ever slipped when she was battling hoards of space pirates. Sonic probably ran over a billion miles already and hasn't slipped once ever since his first game, yet he's one of the characters that trip the most in brawl. I remember tripping in the Wind Waker with link, but its only happened on the Ice Island with its slippery terrain, so that was reasonable. Other than that, Link never tripped after that unless he got hit by something or couldn't climb some slippery hill.:(
When Melee came out, Mario never grabbed onto edges when he just about fell off of them in any of his prior Mario games. Since when did Snake ever grab on to a Cypher in MGS2? Peach used to use Toad as a deflector? Because I certainly don't recall that. My oldest brother's dusty R.O.B. can actually shoot lasers? Maybe I'll dig it out of the closet to check that out. I don't recall Donkey Kong ever actually using punches in any games outside of the Smash series. I just remember somersaults and jumps as standard attacks, and neither seem to be used in Smash. Have you ever seen Captain Falcon use a Falcon punch in any F-Zero game?

As to this day I haven't tripped in any game just by running around, including every single fighting game I've owned, until I bought brawl.:urg:
Until Smash itself came out, I've never seen a game containing many characters from multiple (more than three) titles duking it out in a fighting-based game. In fact, I've never seen a fighting-based game where the main objective to defeating your opponent is based on knocking them out of the stage, as opposed to depleting their life-bar, until I bought Smash.

So to have this addition of tripping in braw, does it make any sense at all?:confused:
You need to define what constitutes as making sense and what does not make sense in a fighting game before you can ask a question like this.

My personal answer: NO!!! If someone can derive an Action Replay code that gets rid of tripping by running, I'll personally go to the store and buy an Action Replay disc right now just for the sake of brawl being more competitive rather than having "luck" that Sakurai personally favors.
What's personally favored is making this game more accessible to more people. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The end goal for coming out with this product (or any product, for that matter) is making more money for Nintendo. So, given that costs are unadjusted, profits increase only by affecting revenue, which can change by either increasing the price or increasing how many are sold. Are competitive gamers going to pay, say, 300 dollars for a game like brawl to be competitive? Surely, you'd complain about that. Accessibility is what makes the Wii successful right now in this current generation of consoles fighting for their piece of the pie. So, with respect to game sales, Sakurai has been successful, and you can sit there and cry about how tripping is in Brawl.

****, Sakurai must really suck at brawl for him to personally favor tripping for the sake of the "Luck" it gives to players.:chuckle:
Yes, he must really suck. Excellent deductive reasoning on your part. Tripping is part of the game, get over it. It's random, over a long period of time, the distribution of trips among all players becomes even. So although variance in wins is slightly more volatile because of it, in the long run, true winners will come out on top. Just accept it as part of the game. It's there, deal with it.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
Why are people here backing up tripping? I figured every competitive player and even casuals would hate it. O.O

Finesse

Smash Rookie
Why are people here backing up tripping? I figured every competitive player and even casuals would hate it. O.O
I never said that I personally like tripping in Brawl. In fact, if I had any say over the development of the game, I would most likely push for it not being put into Brawl. However, the time of development has come and gone, and there essentially is nothing that we can do about it.

The point that I'm trying to drive home here is that when people say that they do not like tripping in Brawl, that's pretty much all that they can really say regarding tripping. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. Saying something along the lines of "I hate tripping" or "There should be a way to get rid of it" are simply normative statements, ie: they're just opinions. So NO person can somehow argue deductively explaining why tripping should be eliminated, since its presence (or omission) is simply a matter of preference, and nothing else. And arguing along the lines of some pseudo-form of "deductive reasoning" simply doesn't hold any weight.

Lets be clear about something here. It is safe to assume that a good portion of people who frequent these boards prefer to minimize luck in their rounds of play in Smash. For example, no items, ban levels which have some elements of randomness in them, etc. These are simply preferences, that's it. And just because the MLG and all serious tournaments adopt a set of rules and standards, they should not be seen as neither dogmatic nor absolute.

Now, some posters on here seem to somehow reason that Tripping should not be in Brawl. Why? Because it detracts from its competitiveness? It does not make the game competitive? If these are their reasons, then their genuine reason is this:
"I don't like tripping in Brawl because it increases the variance in wins in the short run. I personally prefer it when gains are realized from playing Smash as soon as possible. The genuinely 'best' player should be recognized after as few games as possible"
There's nothing wrong with this statement, but the point is, it is a normative statement.

Any game where luck is NOT a 100% factor necessarily has potential for being competitive. If decisions made in Rock Paper Scissors are in even the least bit a function of previous moves (ie: I chose Rock the last three times, so I'll choose Paper now.. or (s)he chose Paper too many times previously, so I'll choose Scissors the next time), then even Rock Paper Scissors can be competitive. So, Brawl will always be competitive. Will it be as competitive as Melee? That's another topic that is rich in discussion itself. Point is, tripping does not imply that Brawl is not competitive. Tripping will not perfectly level the playing field, nor will it be the case that the person with the most wins is not the best overall player.

I don't like the tripping mechanism in Brawl. That's it. I just don't like it. My reason? Because I too prefer it when variance in Smash games are minimized. This is essentially the true reason for most angry posters on Smashboards, regarding tripping. Any other reasoning on their part is usually (not always) not an argument. It's all opinion.

Top Bottom