• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck with MK

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
New news. I totally suck with MK. I can't defeat anyone now and can't utilize the advantages of MK. I have played with MK for ages now but I seem to be getting worse! I've read all stickies, watch M2K, Dojo, Affinity, DSF and many other MK pro matches but still, I suck. I haven't bothered to record any matches of me being pwn'd with MK. Can someone give me any tips as if they were advising a n00b MK player, except who has read the stickies and knows about all of MK's ATs.

Please help me someone. I really need help.

Thanks

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Use someone different just because he's top character doesn't meen he's your character find someone who fits you.

You think yourself as an intellectual right? then go for someone whos all about thinking like R.O.B, MK is ussually about pure aggression not saying that MK players are all hyped up meat heads cause i'm a MK player myself but yea just find someone who fits you not cause other ppl are good.

I know a rlly good lucas/falcon player who fights on par with my TL and snakes so yea hope i helped.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Use someone different just because he's top character doesn't meen he's your character find someone who fits you.

You think yourself as an intellectual right? then go for someone whos all about thinking like R.O.B, MK is ussually about pure aggression not saying that MK players are all hyped up meat heads cause i'm a MK player myself but yea just find someone who fits you not cause other ppl are good.

I know a rlly good lucas/falcon player who fights on par with my TL and snakes so yea hope i helped.
ROB? He's so campy. I guess I could try him. But I can't beat Snake players with ROB

ckm

Smash Journeyman
if you really want help, you should post videos. otherwise we cant say what it is youre doing wrong. Or, if you don't want to be criticized, record your own matches, and compare them to the vids you watch of the pros.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
if you really want help, you should post videos. otherwise we cant say what it is youre doing wrong. Or, if you don't want to be criticized, record your own matches, and compare them to the vids you watch of the pros.
I'm not sure. Does anyone have Wifi here so they can help me there?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
yea if u get some matches we can tell u what ur doing wrong, are u using ariels, tilits and grabs right? and are u trying to play smart or just randomly up B off stage lol

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
ROB? He's so campy. I guess I could try him. But I can't beat Snake players with ROB
You should look at the Snake Boards.ROB has an advatage,But yeah you should try Random until you see a character you like.You could go to the Seperate Character boards to see what they can do.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I've seen you on aib too. The reason most people suck is that they're too predictable. And with a character as commonly played as MK, there's no room for that.. <_<

Don't worry, everyone sucks first starting out in the competitive scene. Work on eliminating bad habits and learn the basics, it'll help you more than anything else I can tell you.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Take note of the combos/setups you see in the videos you watch, and play against the computer (I prefer lvl 9) while trying to incorporate them.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Take note of the combos/setups you see in the videos you watch, and play against the computer (I prefer lvl 9) while trying to incorporate them.
It seems that most Snake players beat my MK but most MKs are beaten by my Snake. When I mean most I mean the people whom I play regularly with. I don't know. I seem to be able to incorporate combos and many strategies with Snake and always bring a sense of unpredictability than spamming utilt. So why can't I do that with MK if he has the most skill, whilst Snake has the most mindgames? What mindgames could I incorporate into my MK game? I've seen M2K **** everyone but cannot figure out why other MK players, who are really good, cannot level with him

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
M2K is a technical legend the reason he owns ppl is cause he's so precise with everything find a melee vid of him and you will know wat i mean.

and again MK is more aggresion than most there is technical skill in there but the trick with MK is pressure play, gimping, speed, and being able to flow with your move's as a toon player you should have some basics on flowing with your moves and snake as you have said is a mindgamer but he's tottally different to MK he's a power house and a survivor which means the style of play is completely different and rlly its hard to be amazing with both of them i can do anything with MK ANYTHING but i cant even mortor slide with snake so untill you drop one of the two will you be able to use the other....hope i helped HD

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
M2K is a technical legend the reason he owns ppl is cause he's so precise with everything find a melee vid of him and you will know wat i mean.

and again MK is more aggresion than most there is technical skill in there but the trick with MK is pressure play, gimping, speed, and being able to flow with your move's as a toon player you should have some basics on flowing with your moves and snake as you have said is a mindgamer but he's tottally different to MK he's a power house and a survivor which means the style of play is completely different and rlly its hard to be amazing with both of them i can do anything with MK ANYTHING but i cant even mortor slide with snake so untill you drop one of the two will you be able to use the other....hope i helped HD
Mate I thought it was going to help me but it didn't quite do so

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Maybe your not working with Mk.. hes a pretty offensive character .. If you truly believe you suck with him switch mains.
Pick someone defensive like Peach D:

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Mate I thought it was going to help me but it didn't quite do so
lol then what do you want me to say?

tbh HD the best way for you to see wat kind of player you are is like SSJ5Goku8932 said pick random find your comfort zone.

but by what you say you being good with snake and toon link means you like camping and mindgames and like iv said MK has no camping abilitys cause he's got no projectiles simple which means you need a camper so id say olimar is good falco should be good for you maybe zzs/samus i like zelda cause she's basically a tank....

but then you could always just do wat i do and give the character a break i gave playing toon link a 4 week break cause i didnt do as well as wanted at a smash fest but this last week i got back into him and im on the verge of discovering something new for our lill cat eyed friend ^^

i know iv not rlly given you a stright answer but i dunno iv never rlly been good with advice over the net or in general tbh well hope i helped ya mate

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
lol then what do you want me to say?

tbh HD the best way for you to see wat kind of player you are is like SSJ5Goku8932 said pick random find your comfort zone.

but by what you say you being good with snake and toon link means you like camping and mindgames and like iv said MK has no camping abilitys cause he's got no projectiles simple which means you need a camper so id say olimar is good falco should be good for you maybe zzs/samus i like zelda cause she's basically a tank....

but then you could always just do wat i do and give the character a break i gave playing toon link a 4 week break cause i didnt do as well as wanted at a smash fest but this last week i got back into him and im on the verge of discovering something new for our lill cat eyed friend ^^

i know iv not rlly given you a stright answer but i dunno iv never rlly been good with advice over the net or in general tbh well hope i helped ya mate
Thanks. I'm drifting away from MK cos mine sucks to bad. I like mindgames and with Snake you can leave the opponent optionless

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Honestly, if you can't play an offensive character, go defensive. You'll probably do better.

Nic64

Smash Lord
MK is amazing at camping too, I wouldn't pigeonhole him into being pure offense

Aiko

Smash Champion
Mach tornado can be campy. Spaced fairs and bairs are also campy.

Camping doesnt have to be on the other side of the screen. It just means out of reach of your opponent. I camp with MK by staying in the area where they can't use melee attacks and if they use a projectile, i can move in and punish immediately.

Do not believe the generalisation that MK takes no mindgames. ALL characters require mindgames, and MK needs just as much as snake. You need to be a fantastic edgeguarder and pressure player. MK is all about making you're opponent make as many unsafe moves as possible. You need to read you're opponent so you can put them into unfavourable positions.

Here is an example:

MK dthrows Snake at the edge, so snake is starting to fall off the stage. Here are Snakes options:

Snake can jump striaght away and up B to recover high.
Snake can drop a little and then up b to gain super armor frames
Snake can jump for the ledge.

Bearing in mind the first part of Snakes up B has no super armor frames: MK can counter these by:

Waiting then Shuttle looping/Dair Snake as soon as the Up B comes out
Run off and Dair
Edgehog, followed by dropped nair

As a MK player, you need to know all these options. You need to be able to read your opponent just as much as they have to read you. As I said before, MK requires mindgames, otherwise people will take advantage of his light weight and kill you early, especially on the vertical.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Mach tornado can be campy. Spaced fairs and bairs are also campy.

Camping doesnt have to be on the other side of the screen. It just means out of reach of your opponent. I camp with MK by staying in the area where they can't use melee attacks and if they use a projectile, i can move in and punish immediately.

Do not believe the generalisation that MK takes no mindgames. ALL characters require mindgames, and MK needs just as much as snake. You need to be a fantastic edgeguarder and pressure player. MK is all about making you're opponent make as many unsafe moves as possible. You need to read you're opponent so you can put them into unfavourable positions.

Here is an example:

MK dthrows Snake at the edge, so snake is starting to fall off the stage. Here are Snakes options:

Snake can jump striaght away and up B to recover high.
Snake can drop a little and then up b to gain super armor frames
Snake can jump for the ledge.

Bearing in mind the first part of Snakes up B has no super armor frames: MK can counter these by:

Waiting then Shuttle looping/Dair Snake as soon as the Up B comes out
Run off and Dair
Edgehog, followed by dropped nair

As a MK player, you need to know all these options. You need to be able to read your opponent just as much as they have to read you. As I said before, MK requires mindgames, otherwise people will take advantage of his light weight and kill you early, especially on the vertical.
Hey thanks. That was really useful

Nic64

Smash Lord
(in addition to everything aiko said)...MK's ability to fly is another thing that makes him great at camping, like a lot of characters you can just hover around them until they make a mistake and then fall down on them with dair/ fair or tornado or something(depending on where you were hovering) while they're in lag. his ftilts range is also good so I like to get just outside someones range and then walk away when I think they're about to attack and turn around and ftilt them as they miss me(this is something I also LOVE to do as snake! since you play him too...) and of course you can do this with dash attacks and grabs too on some attacks since MK runs fast. MK's fsmash is like a much worse version of lucario's too, it has decent and range and although it has high start up, it has pretty low cool down lag so you can use it just out of range of someone and they might charge you when you can get an attack or something out before they can(if they run and power shield the smash though they will have the advantage but it's something you can usually do, most characters can't shield that fast out of a run if they just started so with good spacing it's usually fairly safe)

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
(in addition to everything aiko said)...MK's ability to fly is another thing that makes him great at camping, like a lot of characters you can just hover around them until they make a mistake and then fall down on them with dair/ fair or tornado or something(depending on where you were hovering) while they're in lag. his ftilts range is also good so I like to get just outside someones range and then walk away when I think they're about to attack and turn around and ftilt them as they miss me(this is something I also LOVE to do as snake! since you play him too...) and of course you can do this with dash attacks and grabs too on some attacks since MK runs fast. MK's fsmash is like a much worse version of lucario's too, it has decent and range and although it has high start up, it has pretty low cool down lag so you can use it just out of range of someone and they might charge you when you can get an attack or something out before they can(if they run and power shield the smash though they will have the advantage but it's something you can usually do, most characters can't shield that fast out of a run if they just started so with good spacing it's usually fairly safe)
Whoa whoa, please paragraph next time.

Nic64

Smash Lord
sorry that was a bit of a mess I didn't really intend to write that much it just flowed that way =/

Nic64

Smash Lord
a lot of that is just experience, don't think it was much worse than any other character, you just have to learn what works and when to do it so you can make those decisions on the fly, like you tried to use MK's forward air to knock me out of cypher once when neutral air and shuttle loop are the attacks you'd want to use in that situation(just one example). lots of little bits of matchup knowledge and general metagame stuff add up, if you want to be good at a character you have to play them a lot, reading stuff here and watching video's of better players can help accelerate learning, but experience is a huge factor in being able to quickly choose your best options

Top Bottom