• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I See All" - Palutena Video Thread

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
My friend uploaded an old for glory match of mine that I don't quite remember : s I must've sent the replay to him a while ago. I thought it was pretty cool though

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
My friend uploaded an old for glory match of mine that I don't quite remember : s I must've sent the replay to him a while ago. I thought it was pretty cool though

Does he even know how to play Luigi at all, because he's bad? Nice video.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

Yay got a capture card! There's that upload to youtube feature too now but I can upload better quality than that and also more easily make a combo video if I get enough clips eventually. Started streaming at afreeca.tv/yoshikirishima and have been going back to ladder which is a lot of fun now with all the new updates.

Here's a match vs a friend on ladder. There's quite a few mistakes and there's also mis inputs due to wifi but otherwise I think this is me playing decently. Usually I have no trouble with his Lucario but in a 3 stock format, I think it benefits him more, and I could have been more careful throughout.

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Palutena's a secondary of mine that I've recently put a lot of time on. I'm trying to really adjust to Vanilla Palutena and I seem to struggle in 1v1's with her. AeroLink told me I should play defensively with her default setups, I kinda find it hard to do since I'm aggressive 90% of the time with my main, Sonic so forgive my scrubbyness. Also I made a few mistakes during the match due to minor lag between me and my opponent, my dashes would come out when I attempted to stop and Up tilt.

I know nobody really pays attention to bigger modes like Free-For-All or Teams but I find those to be the most effective for my Palutena most of the time. I haven't done teams with her since 1.1.0 released so I'll have to work on that a little later.

Last edited:

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
3DS players,
I just uploaded two videos of me vs FR|Bon. He runs a Sheik and Falcon. The videos are titled 'ISA #1 and #2'. can you guys please tell me how I did and what to improve on? I was moving fast, it's just a Falcon/Sheik in a lagless connection is a scary matchup for our lady. I lost 2-1 btw, his Falcon got me again...

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Still trying to learn how to adjust to default Palutena.

I loved your f-tilt spacing in the first video, and I also really liked how daring you were with those F-smashes - i'm usually much more afraid to send those out, but you made them work perfectly!

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I loved your f-tilt spacing in the first video, and I also really liked how daring you were with those F-smashes - i'm usually much more afraid to send those out, but you made them work perfectly!
I was supposed to tech the landing at the end but there was lag in that brief instant and it screwed me over to that KO. Thanks for the words though, I struggle a lot in 1v1 with Palutena, especially against high tiers like ZSS. She's insane, thank god it wasn't Sheik I guess but I've went even with a few Sheiks as Palutena before but barely lol.

pokemonfan111

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan111
@ Spitfire16 Spitfire16 Something i may recommend is to ledge cancel Warp on Battlefield's platforms when you decide to recover high, it all together puts her in a better situation.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
My Palutena vs my bro's Mac. Some advice would be great.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
My Palutena vs my bro's Mac. Some advice would be great.
Something I literally just noticed from this video: jab -> grab doesn't seem like it works on little mac?? (or at least when he's in the air?) he's so fast that he can hit you after your jab : \ I think Yoshi can do that too... it might be better to just go straight for a grab, and if you do jab out of habit maybe go straight into the jab finisher

Specific advice for your matches: snap your recovery to the ledge! (0:34, 1:16, 1:44, 5:54, 5:57) Mac's too fast, he won't let you recover onto the stage! (though you got lucky once : p )

I loved your empty hops and your F-smash edgeguard; those are things I want to incorporate into my own gameplay. And your last stock was SUPER great. I love it when other people make use of her tilts, and dat Fsmash windbox. She's got so many different tools for different situations, it's great when people use all of them.

Last edited:

TLTC

Smash Rookie
Here are a few matches. Not too relevant anymore as customs are banned in Socal. Plenty to critique/analyze though.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice

I recently picked up Palutena ( About 5 Days ago to be exact.) And here is a For Glory match I had.

I know that string might seem normal to you all but I'm really proud of it haha.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! I play Palutena a lot and for awhile I've wanted to update this video area. These aren't my videos though. These are videos of Japanese players. I've been interested in seeing how some of them play certain characters.

Two things. First, the last video, of course, isn't a real battle, but it's interesting and I wanted to share it. Second, I've never seen someone use Dthrow to Down-Smash before. It's not a true combo, but it was used based on a read and I loved it. It's done in the Zero Suit Samus and Link video.

Last edited:

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Well i think you did good. You're one of my Favorite Palutena's and i bet MR.R would have 5stocked me.

Loved the stocks you took from him.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I recently got a capture card, so I decided why not test it by uploading for glory matches ?

I really wish I could stream, but I've been having frustrating problems with that @_@ so for now just videos

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Could somebody who has experience with Palu in doubles maybe help us out? We placed 4th, lost to 1st and 2nd both close sets, more will be uploaded but here's first one:

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Yooooo this is the exact same team me and my doubles partner use!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvAFNIWauc

only doubles vid I have up but were teaming in chicago this weekend so possibly can record more.
A mod will probably delete this cause Fujin contributing to a nearly dead characters board is just soooo bad and must be purged
What competition is going on in Chicago that I don't know about?

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I started losing my momentum after I took out this Mario's first stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5meuk7aaGgk

Advice would be nice.
Advice is generally easier to give in a match you lost

At any rate I can give some general advice. The first thing I would recommend is that you smash way, way less in neutral. Especially go easy on the charged smashes. That stuff is easy to react to and punish. Use more safe moves like fair and jab, or react to how the opponent approaches you. Secondly, using reflect against fireballs is more or less pointless except for giggles; practice powershielding.

I also saw you Dthrow and then do nothing. You should still be able to get Dthrow-fair at that percent, and even if you can't get a combo it's best to chase them after Dthrow because it leaves them close to you and above you, which is a bad place to be and can lead to kills.

I would also recommend less Dair onstage. The reward isn't really worth it.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I usually don't play For Glory, but when I do, I play it for the lulz.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
Advice is generally easier to give in a match you lost

At any rate I can give some general advice. The first thing I would recommend is that you smash way, way less in neutral. Especially go easy on the charged smashes. That stuff is easy to react to and punish. Use more safe moves like fair and jab, or react to how the opponent approaches you. Secondly, using reflect against fireballs is more or less pointless except for giggles; practice powershielding.

I also say you Dthrow and then do nothing. You should still be able to get Dthrow-fair at that percent, and even if you can't get a combo it's best to chase them after Dthrow because it leaves them close to you and above you, which is a bad place to be and can lead to kills.

Please forgive me for just posting my wins, but there is a reason why I still showed it. After I managed to take a stock from off my opponent at zero percent, that's when I started to lose my momentum (as mentioned earlier, love). As if I was already sloppy within the first minute of the match, I caught myself being more reckless and receiving damage that I know I could have countered or at least avoided. And yes, just throwing out charge attacks makes me look almost vulnerable.

I guess I was trying to find out when and why I began to struggle afterwards. But you're right, I need to start using safe moves. Perhaps then it will help me keep it together in a fight.

I'll be sure to post both my wins and LOSSES. Even the embarrassing ones. I'm gonna have to since every time I come online my opponents are becoming more difficult to fight.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to point out my flaws. Everything you said I'll be sure to take into consideration. Palutena feels a lot easy to use to me than my Princess Peach. Even if she is my primary main.

Last edited:

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I wouldn't say it's not worth it if you know how to combo from it. If you FF D-air and you're close enough to the ground, it can lead to jab from 0-30%, Dash Attack from 0% to about 50%, B-air from 20%-85%, and F-air from 20%-90% on most characters. D-air is actually pretty useful for punishing things if you're quick enough as combos from it do 17 damage minimum, and near 40 damage maximum. They're kinda frame tight tho but they're do-able consistently.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I recently picked up Palutena ( About 5 Days ago to be exact.) And here is a For Glory match I had.

I know that string might seem normal to you all but I'm really proud of it haha.
Bit late but heeeey~

Good job for a (then) five-day-old Palutena! You made good use of f-air spacing and Autoreticle / u-smash setups; good dash attack punishes, you punished his options well.

That said, I think you can make better use of dash attack (you used it on shield a few times) and b-air (I don't think you used it effectively in this match, when it's an invincible punish option). Your rollback -> rollback -> rollback -> grab was very coy, but beyond styling, I think you'd be better off practicing your pivot grab. Palutena's pivot grab is very good.

Make better use of grabs and grab followups. Depending on how the opponent DIs, d-throw can setup for every air except d-air - my favourite is n-air -> n-air, with a u-air on top if that's a viable option. You did a good job of reading and responding to your opponent's rolls and whiffs, but if you want to get better with Palutena, you need to perfect your pivot and grab options.

Incidentally, that Pit isn't very good. I cried every time he followed up d-throw with n-air~

I started losing my momentum after I took out this Mario's first stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5meuk7aaGgk

Advice would be nice.
Silver said it best, but I'm gonna contribute something and say that you play very...evasively, I guess? That isn't a bad thing, Palutena ain't no rushdown fighter, but it seems inconsistent. You threw out empty smashes in neutral and then didn't followup when he put himself in a disadvantaged position. You need to get better at reading your opponent and discerning where they will go and why they will go there.

Your fundamentals carried you in this match, I think, but I reckon you need to improve your consideration of neutral, advantage and disadvantage. Your disadvantage punishment needs consideration, in my opinion.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801

Made this tourney match in the beggining of the month, starting to believe that Palutena has a +1 advantage over Ryu. Palutena can null the Hadoken and Shakunetsu wih Autoreticle or return them with Reflect, making them pretty irrelevant in this MU, Autoreticle also stops most of Ryu's approach options and Palutena's down throw can set up for any of her aerials, since Ryu takes a beating in the air, the tilts also are an excellent and underrated punish options for Palutena, I use up tilt for punishing rolls and dodged dash attacks, normally getting a free up air with this, and f tilt to protect me from command Tatsumaki. On Ryu's side, he has attacks stronger enough to KO Palutena at under 100% and the fully charged Focus Attack is capable to shrug a Counter, and he also can take advantage on Palutena's laggy moves.

Bonus, a small clip of me meteoring a Rosalina.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Bit late but heeeey~

Good job for a (then) five-day-old Palutena! You made good use of f-air spacing and Autoreticle / u-smash setups; good dash attack punishes, you punished his options well.

That said, I think you can make better use of dash attack (you used it on shield a few times) and b-air (I don't think you used it effectively in this match, when it's an invincible punish option). Your rollback -> rollback -> rollback -> grab was very coy, but beyond styling, I think you'd be better off practicing your pivot grab. Palutena's pivot grab is very good.

Make better use of grabs and grab followups. Depending on how the opponent DIs, d-throw can setup for every air except d-air - my favourite is n-air -> n-air, with a u-air on top if that's a viable option. You did a good job of reading and responding to your opponent's rolls and whiffs, but if you want to get better with Palutena, you need to perfect your pivot and grab options.

Incidentally, that Pit isn't very good. I cried every time he followed up d-throw with n-air~

Silver said it best, but I'm gonna contribute something and say that you play very...evasively, I guess? That isn't a bad thing, Palutena ain't no rushdown fighter, but it seems inconsistent. You threw out empty smashes in neutral and then didn't followup when he put himself in a disadvantaged position. You need to get better at reading your opponent and discerning where they will go and why they will go there.

Your fundamentals carried you in this match, I think, but I reckon you need to improve your consideration of neutral, advantage and disadvantage. Your disadvantage punishment needs consideration, in my opinion.
Thanks for the tip and the constructive criticism, I really appreciate it! I haven't played in a while, but I'm still having trouble using B-Air efficiently.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I fought a good Doc main about two weeks ago and I am still hoping to improve my game.
If anyone is willing to provide me some feedback, please do.

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I fought a good Doc main about two weeks ago and I am still hoping to improve my game.
If anyone is willing to provide me some feedback, please do.
This is all based on the first video

For starters, I think you smash way too much in neutral. You were getting away with it a lot, but random smashes get you smacked pretty easily and are hard to land due to massive startup. Dash attack, too, I don't recommend using against someone on the ground unless you see something you can punish/interrupt etc. In general, I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of just playing safer. Smashes should be for punishes and reads, she can't really get away with Hail Mary smashes.

This is more of a personal preference thing, but I saw you go for the Dthrow -> wait for the airdodge -> Usmash a lot at low and mid percents, when honestly I would have just gone for the guaranteed damage from fair instead. I feel like it puts you in a good position, you're less likely to get punished for it, and it keeps the airdodge read kill something of a surprise.

I also saw you eat a lot of pills for free. It's hard online, but I would work on powershielding projectiles. Powershielding and staying just outside of their melee range tends to make zoners uncomforable and force them into action. In general, less aggression on your part is probably warranted with Palu. Force them to take the lead, then run back, short hop and bair whatever button they hit, or dash attack them just before they land from a jump, or poke them with fair and jab etc. etc. Make them come to you, make them scared to come at you, then make them have to come at you again.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
This is all based on the first video

For starters, I think you smash way too much in neutral. You were getting away with it a lot, but random smashes get you smacked pretty easily and are hard to land due to massive startup. Dash attack, too, I don't recommend using against someone on the ground unless you see something you can punish/interrupt etc. In general, I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of just playing safer. Smashes should be for punishes and reads, she can't really get away with Hail Mary smashes.

This is more of a personal preference thing, but I saw you go for the Dthrow -> wait for the airdodge -> Usmash a lot at low and mid percents, when honestly I would have just gone for the guaranteed damage from fair instead. I feel like it puts you in a good position, you're less likely to get punished for it, and it keeps the airdodge read kill something of a surprise.

I also saw you eat a lot of pills for free. It's hard online, but I would work on powershielding projectiles. Powershielding and staying just outside of their melee range tends to make zoners uncomforable and force them into action. In general, less aggression on your part is probably warranted with Palu. Force them to take the lead, then run back, short hop and bair whatever button they hit, or dash attack them just before they land from a jump, or poke them with fair and jab etc. etc. Make them come to you, make them scared to come at you, then make them have to come at you again.
Many thanks. I'll keep what you said in mind.

Top Bottom