• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I now know why Lucario works as well as he does.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Everybody knows that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. When you first see Lucario from the viewpoint of someone who hasn't played as him before (or just started playing) he seems totally weak and uninteresting. He does low to average damage until about 100% and isn't blindingly fast either.

But it's when his stats all come together, then he really starts to stand out.

Ground game:

Lucario has like...the best hitboxes out of anyone. Really. The range and priority on even his basic attack is insane. His Ftilt is like shoving a big shield out in front of him. It has two hits, so it can shield stab, and catch people who are rolling. And it's really fast too. It's offensive, it's defensive, it's pretty much everything a lot of character would want as their Fsmash! And at 100% or so, it even does decent damage! His Dtilt comes out super fast and although it only hits once, it has great range and goes right under shields most of the time if the opponent's shield has taken any damage at all. And I don't even need to praise his up tilt. Oh, did I mention that pretty much all of these moves don't have any major punishable lag?

His fsmash may be slow to start, but it probably has the most range out of any Fsmash in the game after Ike and Dedede. And it has like hardly any after lag. Even if they dodge it, it'll probably still keep you safe enough to dodge their next attack or whatever.

Force palm is just godly. I mean it's like a regular grab only with more range and KO power. And if you miss the grab, you could still hit with the blast depending on what your opponent does. His AAA combo is like best ever. It allows him to get off a free force palm, making him one of the only characters in the game who actually has real combos.

Running attack...It looks bad at first, but it starts REALLY fast and like all of Lucario's moves it seems to have great priority, even though it's not an aura attack. It's unsafe on block of course, but pretty safe on dodge considering how fast it starts.

I just love his grabs. Combined with his aerial ability, Lucario actually has tech-chase combos that WORK. All his grabs have hardly any lag after activation, allowing him to chase the opponent up.

And then there's aura sphere. Controlling the opponent's movement better than a cattle prod. I rarely ever let it charge fully any more unless the opponent has some kind of reflector or absorbing move.

Aerial game:

Fair is so fast that it can actually combo sometimes. Or you can hit with one of them and then footstool off the opponent's head before they've recovered from the hitstun and lead up with a Dair. From a grab, you can follow someone up and even if they air dodge as soon as they can, Ftilt will probably hit them because the attack is so fast and has such incredible range/duration/priority. And if they DO air dodge it, you can just do it again and hit them while they're in air dodge lag! I don't need to talk about how good Dair is, but I'll do it anyway. It's basically like an Ftilt that comes out below you, only faster and with even more range. It shield stabs and wears down shields really really well. Uair and Bair are good KO moves. And Nair...wowowow. It's soooooo good. It's fast as anything and has such incredible range and knockback for a quick move. And it has next to no lag on landing, making it a juggle-breaker, even though Lucario already has a good one with his Dair. Spoilt for choice!

Edge Game:

Now this is my favorite thing about Lucario. Because of his long, floaty jumps and fast high-range, high-priority aerials, and also because of the horizontal angles that his attacks can often send the opponent at, he can basically pull off a Jigglypuff edgeguard with the best of them. You don't even need to think. If you grab your opponent as they roll up from the ledge and throw them backwards, just full jump riiiiight out there and throw out a few Fairs. There's next to no lag at the end of the back throw, so by the time your opponent can jump again, Lucario will most likely already be half way over the abyss and coming to get them. You can even double-jump and go right out to the edge of the stage if you want, and KO them at point blank range. It doesn't matter because Lucario's extremespeed will get him back on the ledge with no problems unless you're very low down. If you're feeling frisky you can even use Nair which has greater knockback, but can lead to SDs. Too good, really.

I used to think Lucario was a primarily defensive character, but he can play offense just as well as defense at any %, even when he's not on high damage. His spacing is excellent and everything about him is pretty much just excellent.

This is why Lucario becomes so good at 100% and up. Even from 0%, he has better overall stats than other characters with the exception of power. It basically means that at 100 and up, he becomes a character with exceptional control, spacing, hitboxes, range, priority, attack stun, "combo" ability, pressure, shield pressure, defensive ability, offensive ability, attacking speed, edgeguarding ability and evasion ability...with average/good power.

That's like top tier material or something.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
TC, don't forget:
Lucario gets an aura booost if he falls behind a stock.
Double Team is, IMO, his BEST KO move. Seriously. Learn to use this to KO or for evasion (gets you back on solid ground faster if they hit you while you're in the air). They can shield against it, but usually won't.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I find that Double team doesn't start fast enough to counter every move I want it to. :( Often I'll time it so that it will counter something like an Ike Fsmash, only to get hit before the actual counter frames start to take effect.

I guess it's better as a prediction move, but it's riskier than I originally thought.

But yeah, it's a great KO move.

LucarioPAX

Smash Cadet
And honestly, hes great for people who want to play a nice mind game, keeping to what the person above said, when someones at kill status, Theres a chance (Probly low,) That theyll freak out, or go for cheap shots. And cheap shots are love when paired with a double team.

He doesn't have the best grabs, but they can stir things up, and move the fight to a better area.

and finnally, you forgot to mention the bliss of his wall cling!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
And honestly, hes great for people who want to play a nice mind game, keeping to what the person above said, when someones at kill status, Theres a chance (Probly low,) That theyll freak out, or go for cheap shots. And cheap shots are love when paired with a double team.

He doesn't have the best grabs, but they can stir things up, and move the fight to a better area.

and finnally, you forgot to mention the bliss of his wall cling!
He has EXCELLENT grabs. Much better than most other characters. Lucario's grabs actually set up for stuff. And his up throw can even combo into up tilt on some characters. Fthrow is a good KO move, down throw is an aerial chase throw, back throw is a super gimp kill setup and up throw is just nice at lower %.

The best thing about his grabs is how little lag they have at the end.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Despite my opinion not mattering, I agree with the people here. Lucario's range is killer, and he does combo well. And, since it's the weakest part of my game, I have to ask- any good examples/tips for edgeguarding other than the fair, or good tips for using the fair?

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I mainly fight against Pit, so unless I'm certain I can gimp him, I usually don't chase him off the edge. Instead I lob a aura sphere to either kill or slow him down enough to be able to attack.

I also vote that his forward throw is one of his top killing moves. Run > Grab > fthrow. All that can take place in a fraction of a second too which is awesome. You just have to keep tabs on their %.

Browny

Smash Hater
ah yes the running f-throw. happens so fast my brother is like WTF just happened i shielded... then i died

:p

also you forgot to mention lucarios chain force palm. provided lucario is on around 0-10% start the combo up with A-A-force palm grab and you can chain many characters into more force palm grabs up to around 30%. heavy guys like ike, dedede and bowser can be chained all the way up to 50%.

templar rage

Smash Cadet
I think Olimar's Fsmash might have range on Lucario's, it doesn't do full damage at the end, but it is still a hit. He seems to only combo well at low percentages, because further up, even his basic moves have too much knockback to combo well. Maybe that is just me?

And I still love your sig, NESS

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
S'pose I may as well throw in a bit of input as well. Specifically on Lucario's air game.

The Nair is a wonderful tool to use on people unlucky enough to find themselves on a platform above you, serving the same roll punishment that the Dsmash does on the ground. Even better is the incredible speed at which Lucario's airs begin and end (with the only real exception of the Bair).

Depending on where that fair sends your opponent you can throw out another or pretty much anything other than the bair to catch them before they get out of hit-stun. Fair to Nair out of a short hop happens to be a favorite of mine. Sure it isn't that much damage (at least not at low %) but the sheer speed at which it comes out can really catch people off guard.

And Lucario's own Wall of Pain is good enough to mention it again. Fair, Fair, double jump, Fair usually spells death for even heavy characters, often shoving them off the edge of the screen. And even if someone survives it they usually aren't going to be recovering since the Fair has such a low angle to its knockback that simply drifting back to the level via DI isn't going to happen.

Lucario's defensive playstyle and the ability actually punish mistakes through combos are the main reasons I like him. After all, what's not to love about a character that can pull off a 30% combo by landing a jab? And there's something fulfilling about punishing someone for being predictable with Double Team. Sure there are safer options, but it's an awfully stylish way to end a match.

Pastafarian

Smash Rookie
S'pose I may as well throw in a bit of input as well. Specifically on Lucario's air game.

The Nair is a wonderful tool to use on people unlucky enough to find themselves on a platform above you, serving the same roll punishment that the Dsmash does on the ground. Even better is the incredible speed at which Lucario's airs begin and end (with the only real exception of the Bair).

Depending on where that fair sends your opponent you can throw out another or pretty much anything other than the bair to catch them before they get out of hit-stun. Fair to Nair out of a short hop happens to be a favorite of mine. Sure it isn't that much damage (at least not at low %) but the sheer speed at which it comes out can really catch people off guard.

And Lucario's own Wall of Pain is good enough to mention it again. Fair, Fair, double jump, Fair usually spells death for even heavy characters, often shoving them off the edge of the screen. And even if someone survives it they usually aren't going to be recovering since the Fair has such a low angle to its knockback that simply drifting back to the level via DI isn't going to happen.

Lucario's defensive playstyle and the ability actually punish mistakes through combos are the main reasons I like him. After all, what's not to love about a character that can pull off a 30% combo by landing a jab? And there's something fulfilling about punishing someone for being predictable with Double Team. Sure there are safer options, but it's an awfully stylish way to end a match.
Heh, my favorite KO so far was against a Toon Link that I'd never been able to beat so far. We were on the final stock, both at 150%, and he attacked while we were in the air I double teamed him and won.

Milln

Smash Champion
Hey, great videos Infi-tan, thanks. You still making them? Recommend to all starting Lucario
Hm? I heard my name and had to come running.

XD

Yes, of course i'm still making them. Every Tuesday, so one just went up.

Top Bottom