• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need to RIGHT now. What makes Yoshi low?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Cause frankly I DON'T KNOW.

Yoshi is too good for low tier imo.

Grab wise...
Grab problems=zippo
Infinited=no

Matchups seem fine

Yoshi is a grabbing machine. CG many,many,many characters infiniting 1 high tier character.
Coming close to EVEN with MK. Frankly, there are SO many things that Yoshi has over the current characters that are above him in my opinion.

There's no way that Samus, PT, Mario, Ness and Lucas are actually better than this character.

I mean every time someone mentions Yoshi=bottom tier. It's become some stupid meme.

bigman40

Smash Master
There isn't enough tourney rankings to back them up, but everyone would agree that yoshi isn't bottom tier. More like low of mid tier.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
It's amazing how much a popularity of a character can hurt his placement on the tier list

That's why if your a yoshi user get out there and represent dammit

But yeah tourney rankings aren't there for him right now

Honestly i would put him mid in the middle class

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
good to see at least some ppl realize this...theres just like an inherent bias against him it seems

Airborne

Smash Lord
sigh....another thread... well, yeah, yoshi shouldn't be low tier, but all people focus on is his ability to CG and grab-release spike... there are tons of other things that make him the reason to be low tier, but of course, you don't see any specific flaws from scatz, green ace (though no one sees that guy on the internet; i just heard of him the other day...), bwett, poltergust, etc, etc...

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
He has trouble killing, and his shield belongs in the seventh layer of hell.

He's better than Lucas and Samus. Mario maybe, and Ness is definitely better.

PKNintendo

Smash Master

No... I actually think Yoshi>Ness.

This is coming from a Ness main.
Does Ness go even with MK=No
Does Yoshi have a bad grab release animation=no

He's better.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
sigh....another thread... well, yeah, yoshi shouldn't be low tier, but all people focus on is his ability to CG and grab-release spike... there are tons of other things that make him the reason to be low tier, but of course, you don't see any specific flaws from scatz, green ace (though no one sees that guy on the internet; i just heard of him the other day...), bwett, poltergust, etc, etc...
Woah, I got mentioned? That makes me so glad... ;__;

I do believe that there is some bias towards him, which is why people just don't think much of Yoshi. His only true flaw is his shield, but that can be remedied by spot-dodging correctly. Also, he doesn't have a problem killing. Two of his strongest moves (u-air and grounded Yoshi Bomb) are quick and reliable.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, we need to make a sticky of commonly asked question. Forreal. We get to many threads like this, not poking at you PK, but we do.

Also people claiming ETS is a new tech every week. lulz.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Alright, we need to make a sticky of commonly asked question. Forreal. We get to many threads like this, not poking at you PK, but we do.

Also people claiming ETS is a new tech every week. lulz.
lol so true

but yoshi is not easy to play and takes so long to get good with, also people start to like yoshi and cant play them at all. yoshi has it problems like everyone else but they are harder to over come then most high tier characters. after u learn to play him u will see his faults and advantages.

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
To repeat myself, ,who cares. Use the character you like the most, or are the best with (my case, I suck with everyone except Yoshi (well him too, just to a lesser degree)) whatever you do, stop qqing about tiers and go place in tourneys.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377

^ This

He has NO OoS options. Wow you can't Shield break him big deal. If you try to spot dodge or roll away you WILL get punished.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
...So we're not supposed to spot-dodge? For Yoshi, spot-dodge > shield in nearly all situations.

bigman40

Smash Master
Since brawl is mainly defensive, if you can PS decently well, then you can still counter attack with at least tilts/jabs. Not only that, the spotdodge is still very effective. Overused by yoshis, yes, but it works when you know what to do with it (and when to just use your shield normally).

StarYoshi14

Smash Rookie
Meh, less talk about moving Yoshi up tiers, and more doing it. And besides, if Yoshi is low tier, doesn't that mean many people don't know how to counter him? I bet I have won a few matches against people just because they had no idea what to do about Yoshi's advanced game.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
These threads are really stupid and should get locked Yoshi is low tier get over it already seriously we don't need 500 threads to explain it the reasons are clear and simple

- low range
- low priortity
- can't KO
- bad third jump
- bad match ups
- horrible shield
- and there is more believe me

if your a good player you can be a good Yoshi that doesn't make Yoshi mid tier one bit

lock this

Mmac

Smash Lord
These threads are really stupid and should get locked Yoshi is low tier get over it already seriously we don't need 500 threads to explain it the reasons are clear and simple

- low range
- low priortity
- can't KO
- bad third jump
- bad match ups
- horrible shield

if your a good player you can be a good Yoshi that doesn't make Yoshi mid tier one bit

lock this

I find your Lack of Faith Disturbing!

PKNintendo

Smash Master

- low range
- low priortity
- can't KO
- bad third jump
- bad match ups
- horrible shield

lock this
Low range-True some mid tier's have that.
Low priority-How so?
Can't KO- He's weak, but not a weakling.
Bad third jump-True, on it's on (in the air) it suck's as a jump. But when used many times, in conjunction of proper DJ uses'...
Bad matchups-LOL. Yoshi has decent matchups and comes close to MK, counter's high tier's like Wario, and has many CG and setups.
Horrible Shield- LOL, Yoshi's shield is not bad. It's abysmal, and should rot in the 7th layer of hell.

You underestimate Yoshi.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Low range-True some mid tier's have that.
Low priority-How so?
Can't KO- He's weak, but not a weakling.
Bad third jump-True, on it's on (in the air) it suck's as a jump. But when used many times, in conjunction of proper DJ uses'...
Bad matchups-LOL. Yoshi has decent matchups and comes close to MK, counter's high tier's like Wario, and has many CG and setups.
Horrible Shield- LOL, Yoshi's shield is not bad. It's abysmal, and should rot in the 7th layer of hell.

You underestimate Yoshi.
What are you talking about he is good against MK and Wario that is complete bull **** he sucks against MK and is pretty bad against Wario the infinite is really hard to do and to keep wario in it you usually have to grab him after his second jump or he will usually jump out.

The match up thread just makes every match up look neutral because of the system it uses.

and how are you going to tell me I underestimate Yoshi I use yoshi in tournament and know how bad he is I just use him because he is fun Yoshi is not good get over it already so many scrubs make threads and say how is Yoshi low tier the answer is obvious everything I said is true about his weaknesses.

Chaco

Never Logs In
He's not that weak, your underestimating him alot.

His range is fairly bad, his priority is not low by any means. He can KO pretty easily if you use it right. Third jump is true. Match-ups are not that bad, honestly, the system is not making them look even. They look even because they almost are. Shield is bad, but you can work around it.

If you think he's so bad, why use him?

Mmac

Smash Lord
LilB, what the hell? we both know this is not like you, and we both know that your "Facts" and "Reasons" are false.

How does he have Low Range? He doesn't have a Sword. That doesn't mean it's "Low". Infact his range is higher than most Melee based characters

Low Priority? He is FAR from low priority! The only moves that are low on that is Fair and DownB, both which should be used with care.

Lacking in Power yes, but not that much. Especially when he has setups on half the characters.

"Bad" 3rd Jump? Who cares when his Double Jump is practically ungimpable! (PS PK, that only happens if you have Tap Jump on, which isn't really recommended with Yoshi)

He is FAR from having bad matchups, FAR! Maybe it's just your problem that you don't know the matchup enough.

Horrible Shield? Who cares! Use his other defencive measures! He has some of the best defencive Grabs/Attacks in the game!

I am losing my faith in you LilB. I don't really have the Time/Patience to argue with people who don't believe in themselves and the character he use.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
LilB, what the hell? we both know this is not like you, and we both know that your "Facts" and "Reasons" are false.

How does he have Low Range? He doesn't have a Sword. That doesn't mean it's "Low". Infact his range is higher than most Melee based characters

Low Priority? He is FAR from low priority! The only moves that are low on that is Fair and DownB, both which should be used with care.

Lacking in Power yes, but not that much. Especially when he has setups on half the characters.

"Bad" 3rd Jump? Who cares when his Double Jump is practically ungimpable! (PS PK, that only happens if you have Tap Jump on, which isn't really recommended with Yoshi)

He is FAR from having bad matchups, FAR! Maybe it's just your problem that you don't know the matchup enough.

Horrible Shield? Who cares! Use his other defencive measures! He has some of the best defencive Grabs/Attacks in the game!

I am losing my faith in you LilB. I don't really have the Time/Patience to argue with people who don't believe in themselves and the character he use.
This. Impressive new avatar.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
YOU - For posting a question already answered many times on the forums. ....

and Yoshi's priority, ko power, shield etc.

Yes MMAC.. Low priority.. Have you ever fought a good Meta? One that doesn't fall for pivots? NO attacks will go through besides eggs.

Play m2k, forte, dojo, once and tell me Yoshi has good priority lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In

Yes MMAC.. Low priority.. Have you ever fought a good Meta? One that doesn't fall for pivots? NO attacks will go through besides eggs.

Minus the MK factor. o_o

But on other chars he has decent priority. Not awful.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I played Overswarm's MetaKnight, if you want importance.

And that's not exactly true at all, Well timed Usmashes beats out a number of his moves. Uair Beats Dair, and Dair works surprisingly well. I also have some success with Bair too.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi has decent priority, not good, but better than some characters. Thats all i will say.

Sharky

Smash Master
Agreed with Sockz. And Mmac, OS' MK isn't anything impressive, he doesn't practice and places lower than he did when he played R.O.B. lol.

I also agree that this should be locked. Waaaaay too many of these threads here. >____>

bobson

Smash Lord

Doesn't Metaknight's sword have transcended priority, though? That makes it a fault of range rather than priority.

SOVAman

Smash Hero

Thank you

I have played forte's MK a few times and he is really aggressive and will not let you get any thing going the only thing that is easy to hit is an egg and even that his MK easily dodges also it is very hard to land more than one hit of the bair and once yoshi gets in the tornado he is screwed he doesn't have an attack to get him out

Chaco

Never Logs In
Okay nonrelated to this thread, but does the text in your sig hold true? Did you really beat him?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Forreal, I mean you keep looking at it, and your like "Hmm, I wonder if he did." But you don't wanna ask. Y'know? XD

Wobby

Smash Apprentice
If you ask me, Yoshi is not great, but he is so **** fast, once you get going with him, it seems like he can combo like hell. Also grab releasing Snake is too much fun, and having a ranged grab just makes it even more fun.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Okay nonrelated to this thread, but does the text in your sig hold true? Did you really beat him?
I want to know this too XD.
Forreal, I mean you keep looking at it, and your like "Hmm, I wonder if he did." But you don't wanna ask. Y'know? XD
OMG, he did. WTY, good sir.
Get told

10lilbbeatchudattoldyaso

StarYoshi14

Smash Rookie
lolz, the Yoshi in that video basically just spammed eggs. When Yoshi was sucking up, he just ran away and spammed more eggs when he could have gotten the kill.

Besides, this is how you rack up damage vs Kirby.
1. Use a ton of eggs (But don't spam like that guy)
2. When Kirby is coming in to attack, Pivot grab
3. NOM NOM NOM NOM
4. If percentage is high enough, try down throw and try to get a Down B or an Up air for the kill.

Top Bottom