• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Need Help Improving My DK

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing DK for a long time now, and I feel like I've hit a stand-still. I'm not really improving my game at all, and I don't know what to do to start getting better again. What do I need to start doing? What do I need to stop doing? What should I change?

Anyways, heres a couple of videos (7 to be exact) of me playing other people. Only the first one is offline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTQ4y8L98-c&fmt=6 (DK vs Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT8OZ6M3D7g&fmt=6 (DK vs Ike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3edKRa4p0tA&fmt=6 (DK vs Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtvxiFEUVi4&fmt=6 (DK vs Sheik)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCI19zoxhyw&fmt=6 (DK vs Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyS8h29X1I4&fmt=6 (DK vs Lucario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oViNhmlUf38&fmt=6 (DK vs [same] Lucario)

I've been told I grab to much, so suggestions on what I could do other than grabbing would be appreciated, but I'd like to have tips unrelated to grabbing too.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Pretty good, and grabbing is a huge part of using DK, you didn't grab TOO much.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I main him too, I grab less then him.

His grabs are too good to not abuse.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I would say your game needs more b-air. It also looks like you do the cargo carry almost too much and you seem to walk with it when your in the middle of the stage which doesnt do you any good since they will just break out. You also dont seem to use your grabs for setups as much as you should. DK has a great air game, so just toss them up and see what you can do to them.

I did like that d-tilt combo you did against the tree in the first vid though, that was priceless.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
There's nothing that makes your opponent madder than him realizing that DK he's stuck against a tree with no escape in sight.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
It seems like you've got your ground game working quite well, and you're set on killing people. Maybe you need a bit more spot-dodging and air-dodging, it seems, to work on defense. Maybe you just need to face better people though. People always will hit a skill-cap when they face an opponent that's only so good over and over (for instance, if you do nothing but practice against lvl9s you won't get better after a point).

Also, I would think that the amount of times DK can get infinite'd by others would make people stop DK players using infinites =/. I guess I don't like them; if they're too easy to use (like pressing one button over and over) I don't think their worthy of tournament play. I also really think he doesn't need them to win.

EDIT: After watching some more vids, it seems like you don't c-stick smash to punish openings as much as you should. You try approaching with fair a lot, and it never really seems successful. I would try edgeguarding with it more, since I don't see any of that.

Last quick edit: I don't see you bair approaching that much either. You really know how to work tilts and grabs, but bair is probably his best move and with 2 available in one SH you need to take advantage of it more.

Raidein

Smash Cadet
You seem like a great DK main so I'm gonna try my best not to tell you something you may already know....Hopefully I don't **** up your playing style......Ok, judging from your first 3 vids alone....

1. I think you should work a little more on your ground-close hand combat

Reason: Your shielding, rolling, and grabbing was great, but it seems you don't charge your opponet with an attack ground-wise too often......You sort of play "turtle" than grab or do a very short attack....I dunno.....

And I guess with that....I think you should try to utilize the following moves below more often:

A attack combo- I see nothing wrong with you grabbing too much as long as you grab them ofcourse. To help with your ground close hand combat though, try using this move as well to rack up more damage. Use DK's weak down A as backup if they get closer, than his weak forward A attack. Again, this move is best used ONLY when an opponent is extremely close.

Weak forward A - Good move to keep your opponents at bay most of the times, especially with the long reach (Note: If an opponents gets closer, use your forward down A as backup). Not only can you hit forward, but diagonally as well. (Also great for sudden deaths though his down B is safer....)

2. Rarely did I see you use these other moves in the first 3 vids....

Up B Special - Besides recovery, this is a good clear out move if your about to get gangbanged, or to rack up damage on opponents in the air. Just be sure to land some place safe ofcourse...

Down B Special- A great defensive move, that i always seem to forget about....

Smash Down A: AAAAH WTF?! I barely saw you use this awesome move! (Again I only watched the first 3 vids) This is sort of another great clear out move for close oppenents. It's like a"damaging shield", because it protects you from top to bottom. Easy kills for high damaged opponents too.

And DK's best move of all.....

Smash forward A - Use this more often....

Personally, I find all of DK's moves quite useful and I'm not just picking out moves I didn't see you do as a lazy answer to your problems. They help me out.

For all the moves I suggested: It might take time to use them sufficiently with your fighting style if your not use to using them a lot (especially when fighting a cpu). Like I said, your a great DK main, but you should incorporate these other moves more often in your fighting....

Hope this information helps a little -_-U....

EDIT: As a short summary: I think you just need to rely on ALL of DKs moves more. I honestly can't think of one move that's unneccessary. Even the lag moves are ok. You just need to know when to use them. I think that's the only way you can better yourself.

HOHO420

Smash Apprentice
Nice DK, but you should use his other grabs as well. Cargo is good and all, but down grab then down b gives them at least 25%. So its a good starter. Or you can bullying them with Ftilts. Try to do something out of your throws, and don't shield as much. They could of broken through your shields many times.

Shield only to grab. Spot dodge projectiles and everything else, and hold your donkey punch. Opponents play defensive when they know you have one charged up. Try not to use it too early, kuz ur opponent might not let you charge up again for a while. Other than that, you got a good DK. Very different play style than my DK. We should play sometime.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
I just want you all to know that I have been reading everyones posts. I've been using A LOT more Up-B and D-Smash, and I've thrown in some Side-B's too to counter shield grabbers. I don't use too much Down B though since most people stay in the air a lot, but its all a work in progress.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I forgot to add that I'm bairing and f-tilting like crazy.

Top Bottom