• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's not unusual for a system to be sold without a killer title (1st party that is), especially when looking at previous consoles and their launch periods. The 360 existed for like a good couple years before it had Halo 3. The PS5 launch lineup doesn't look too rosy either, for that matter.

This is why I've almost always waited awhile before getting another platform to play on, with some exceptions.
Before people bringing up other exclusives before 360, they still came after launch of 360.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
360 had a decent launch title line-up tbh. Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo & Call of Duty 2.
Not a bad line-up, not as good as the first Xbox or the Xbox One but it’s solid.

The PS5’s true big guns are next year with Horizon 2 & Ratchet, so if Microsoft can get their marketing together they should be fine.

There’s some hype for Spider-Man: Miles but I think a lot of people won’t be as excited once it comes out some more that it’s not a full game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, I don’t think Xbox is doomed. All PS5 is launching with is what basically amounts to an expansion pack for Spider-Man. I’m sure it’ll be a GOOD expansion pack & I’ll buy it when I get a PS5, but I’m not buying a PS5 just for a 10 hour side game.
Actually Miles Morales is straight up a new game, they were very unclear about that for a while

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I have a friend that's convinced Xbox Series X is doomed SEGA Dreamcast style. I try to explain why that's ridiculous but he won't listen.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
You never know...

"PS3 will steamroll Xbox because of PS2!!"
PS3 barely won last gen. Even then, it lost so much money that Sony had to sell their building.

WiiU showed completely opposite result from Wii. It fared worse than Xbox One... yet Nintendo made comeback with Switch.

The point is you never know how the future changes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You never know...

"PS3 will steamroll Xbox because of PS2!!"
PS3 barely won last gen. Even then, it lost so much money that Sony had to sell their building.

WiiU showed completely opposite result from Wii. It fared worse than Xbox One... yet Nintendo made comeback with Switch.

The point is you never know how the future changes.
In fairness, the Big Three have more than enough capital or size to bounce back from setbacks like that (Microsoft, for one, still has its stake in the Internet industry, so it's not in danger even if the video game branch failed somehow).

The Intellivision Amico, on the other hand, I don't have much faith in even if it's aimed at a casual audience and got delayed to next year. It could survive its launch, but right now it's hard to see.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Actually Miles Morales is straight up a new game, they were very unclear about that for a while
I was probably being a bit harsh but it’s been compared to Uncharted: Lost Legacy so I’m expecting a much shorter game than the first Spider-Man. Like I said, I’m sure it’ll be good but it’s not a system seller like some people are hyping it up to be.

Anyway, I wonder if Halo: Infinite’s delay could end up lining up with Chief potentially getting into Smash now. I think we’re only seeing one more Smash character this year & I don’t think it’d be Chief even if he were in. So maybe we could be in for a big 20th anniversary celebration next year with the release of Infinite & Chief getting into Smash?It’d be a dream come true tbh.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was probably being a bit harsh but it’s been compared to Uncharted: Lost Legacy so I’m expecting a much shorter game than the first Spider-Man. Like I said, I’m sure it’ll be good but it’s not a system seller like some people are hyping it up to be.

Anyway, I wonder if Halo: Infinite’s delay could end up lining up with Chief potentially getting into Smash now. I think we’re only seeing one more Smash character this year & I don’t think it’d be Chief even if he were in. So maybe we could be in for a big 20th anniversary celebration next year with the release of Infinite & Chief getting into Smash?It’d be a dream come true tbh.
That's what I've been thinking for a while. If Chief were to get in, there wouldn't be a better time than being close to or during the year of the 20th anniversary of Halo and the Xbox brand as a whole. 20th anniversaries are often a big deal for media franchises and Halo won't be an exception

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
That's what I've been thinking for a while. If Chief were to get in, there wouldn't be a better time than being close to or during the year of the 20th anniversary of Halo and the Xbox brand as a whole. 20th anniversaries are often a big deal for media franchises and Halo won't be an exception
Yeah, I know that anniversaries usually don’t mean much for Smash. But I can imagine Microsoft wanting it to happen for any big multi-media push they have to celebrate the anniversary. Orrrr it could just end up being a coincidence.

Coincidentally, my second most wanted character Dante is also celebrating his 20th anniversary next year. It’d be so awesome if both got in.

exlk

Smash Rookie
Hi all, new here! I want to throw my support towards my most wanted character in Fighter Pass 2 and it's Master Chief! I'm a newcomer to the series as a matter of fact, having started playing the games in february via the MCC on Xbox one X, but now with a new PC I have the collection on it! It's hooked me very much so, and I've fallen in love with the universe, characters and gameplay.

So now I want to see MC in Smash because as many have stated at this point, it'd be amazing and mindblowing to see him appear in Smash of all games! So put me in this ride!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

This track is fantastic. There’s a lot of care & love being put into Infinite’s soundtrack. I hope the rest of the game matches the soundtrack.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I imagine Chief would have Red, Blue & maaaaybe Orange to represent Grifball. So it’d be fun to see if they’d do a RvB skit in Smash.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I want light red pink to represent Donut
If MS was okay with Pink Banjo then maybe they’d be okay with Pink Chief lol

I’d go:
Default Halo 2/3 Mark VI or Halo: Infinite armor
Red
Blue
Orange

Halo:CE Mark V
Pink or Purple
Black with blue visor (ODST colors)
Gold/Silver (Arbiter colors)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It’d be a huge missed opportunity if he doesn’t. I’d have the hammer as his side Smash & the sword as his Ftilt. The sword would push him forward to the enemy like it does in Halo.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I would say he needs the Energy Sword. Not so much the Gravity Hammer.

Gravity Hammer isn’t quite as iconic as the Energy sword and I’d imagine they’d go for the more iconic weapons in the case of a Smash moveset. I could definitely see the Sword being his dash attack though in reference to that things insane lunge.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I would say he needs the Energy Sword. Not so much the Gravity Hammer.

Gravity Hammer isn’t quite as iconic as the Energy sword and I’d imagine they’d go for the more iconic weapons in the case of a Smash moveset. I could definitely see the Sword being his dash attack though in reference to that things insane lunge.
On that note, how would we rank the most iconic Halo weapons? My guess is something like this:

1. Energy Sword
2. CE Magnum
3. Needler
4. Assault Rifle
5. Battle Rifle
6. Plasma Pistol
7. Plasma Rifle
8. Rocket Launcher
9. Spartan Laser
10. Gravity Hammer

I'm pretty confident in the top 3, but the rest get hairy quick. I think the Sword, Magnum/AR/BR, Rocket Launcher, and Needler would be the most important to have in a hypothetical Chief moveset; the Splaser would make for a good final Smash, imo.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
On that note, how would we rank the most iconic Halo weapons? My guess is something like this:

1. Energy Sword
2. CE Magnum
3. Needler
4. Assault Rifle
5. Battle Rifle
6. Plasma Pistol
7. Plasma Rifle
8. Rocket Launcher
9. Spartan Laser
10. Gravity Hammer

I'm pretty confident in the top 3, but the rest get hairy quick. I think the Sword, Magnum/AR/BR, Rocket Launcher, and Needler would be the most important to have in a hypothetical Chief moveset; the Splaser would make for a good final Smash, imo.
I think Assault Rifle should be higher than CE Magnum at least because AR is the weapon that is featured on cover art the most.
And I agree that Energy Sword is must. I think general consensus is that Energy Sword should be a part of his default moveset, not drop weapon.
His default weapons should be Magnum and AR for B and Energy Sword for Smash attack. I've seen other suggestions that include shotgun and gravity hammer as parts of default moveset.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’d say Chief should atleast have these weapons in his moveset:

• Assault Rifle
  • Halo 1 Pistol
  • Energy Sword
  • Rocket Launcher
  • Sniper Rifle
  • Shotgun
  • Plasma Pistol

I imagine if we’re lucky enough to get Chief, then he’d be the only FPS rep in Ultimate. So I think the Rockets, Sniper & Shotty should be included since they’re FPS Staples. Meanwhile, the AR, Halo 1 pistol, sword & Plasma Pistol should be included since they’re Halo icons. The Halo 1 pistol should be Chief’s Bair since Bairs are usually pretty strong moves.

If for some reason there’s problems with certain guns being too similar to real life weaponry. Then I’m okay with them being swapped out for Covenant weaponry like the Plasma Rifle or Beam Rifle.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I’d say Chief should atleast have these weapons in his moveset:

• Assault Rifle
  • Halo 1 Pistol
  • Energy Sword
  • Rocket Launcher
  • Sniper Rifle
  • Shotgun
  • Plasma Pistol

I imagine if we’re lucky enough to get Chief, then he’d be the only FPS rep in Ultimate. So I think the Rockets, Sniper & Shotty should be included since they’re FPS Staples. Meanwhile, the AR, Halo 1 pistol, sword & Plasma Pistol should be included since they’re Halo icons. The Halo 1 pistol should be Chief’s Bair since Bairs are usually pretty strong moves.

If for some reason there’s problems with certain guns being too similar to real life weaponry. Then I’m okay with them being swapped out for Covenant weaponry like the Plasma Rifle or Beam Rifle.
If Joker can bring his gun, so can Chief. Halo guns look less realistic than Joker's gun. No rating board raises rating because of realistic firearms. Not even CERO.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Ori 2 coming to Switch might be a good sign for Chief coming to Smash. It shows that Microsoft & Nintendo are still working together. I’m just hoping that long rumored MCC port is true, if that happens then it’d probably be right alongside a Master Chief Smash reveal.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Perhaps it’s been pushed back for one reason or another. Maybe Microsoft wanted it out after Infinite (pre Infinite’s delay), they wanted it in 2021 for the 20th anniversary or alongside Chief in Smash.

It’s possible that Zell heard about it when it got green lit, which means it could be a bit longer before we see it.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Releasing Master Chief next year to coincide with Halo's 20th anniversary would be an excellent strategy

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It’d be for both Halo AND Xbox’s 20th anniversary too which is neat. I know Smash doesn’t often align with anniversaries but I think that’s a really neat opportunity.

He’s not technically a Sony character (& I doubt it was intentional) but Cloud was released during the 20th anniversary of PlayStation too!

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I honestly don't know at this point. MCC port has to exist, otherwise no one will ever take King Zell seriously ever again other than someone who trolls.
Looking at his record, I highly doubt he would go to that extent to troll this long... Covid must've really messed up schedule overall... Sakurai seems to prefer face to face meeting instead of video chat.

And unlike Studio MDHR, Moon Studio is owned by Microsoft iirc. It's still under Xbox Game Studio banner. So people cannot make "well... Moon studio is.." excuse.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Looking at his record, I highly doubt he would go to that extent to troll this long... Covid must've really messed up schedule overall... Sakurai seems to prefer face to face meeting instead of video chat.

And unlike Studio MDHR, Moon Studio is owned by Microsoft iirc. It's still under Xbox Game Studio banner. So people cannot make "well... Moon studio is.." excuse.
MS doesn’t own Moon Studio, but they do own the Ori IP.

Top Bottom