• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hope that what I'm hearing isn't true...

HiIH

Smash Lord

At the moment, Brawl is actually a little more unbalanced, since anyone who can't camp (except Marth) is at a disadvantage.

Not only that, but don't forget about D3's easy chaingrab, which is unescapable for floaties and Falcos chaingrab to spike......

The only reason Brawl is balanced is one of the, "Reasons" of why we should lie down and let brawl take over by fanboys, because the meta isn't advanced yet. So choose one, or choose the other please.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
How many people posting here actually have brawl yet? For those who don't have it or never played it, they don't deserve the right to give their opinion so stfu. Brawl is new. They already have some AT called SHAD which looks like it will replace L-cancelling on platforms. Melee was faster. So what. The game is friggin 7 years old. Grow up already. Stop trying to live in the past.

Before we had our first brawl tournament, we thought Melee would live on forever. After our Brawl tournament, no one mentioned Melee because brawl was fun and it gave everyone a chance to be good at it. When everyone else is trying to excel at a new game, you don't stick around in your diapers playing your old games.

I am a competitive player and I loved the intense combos in melee in case you guys wanted to know so don't think I'm one of those noobs who are happy that many ATs were removed.

I only read a couple of the previous posts so if something similar to this was written already, then oh well I guess.

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
I believe Imbalances/cheapnes causes it to be less competitive and rather cheap. I know alot of people who agree to me on that. Brawl can be played at a high level.
Alright fine; let's say "imbalanced = less competitive." What fighting game is LEFT that doesn't have some semblance of imbalance? NONE. I know it can be depressing and discouraging, but to my knowledge, not a single fighting game exists that has "perfect balance" - in other words, every fighting game has certain matchups between certain characters that tend to favor one character. That's just an unfortunate fact of life that all players have to accept. Are you saying that there are NO matchups in Brawl that "favor" one character? I'm sure you can think of examples in which one character in Brawl would have a distinct advantage VS another character (i.e. "imbalance" in the game).

And yes, Brawl can be played at a "high level", meaning that you can play the game well after mastering a given character's moveset and knowing when to use which move, when to defend, when to attack, etc. BUT - Melee can be played at an even higher level, as of right now. Brawl may somehow rise to match Melee's competitive greatness, but I (and many others) would REALLY be surprised if that even came close to happening.

You want to string combos and do techniques and be onthe offensive usually. This game is more of a defensive game which to me doesn't cause alot of problems or any kind of imbalance. You disagree with this.
Combos and other "offensive techniques" add depth to the game - that's my point. The fact that Brawl revolves so heavily around defensive action REMOVES many options for the player...for example, why risk attacking your opponent and harassing their shield if they can just sit back and grab you as soon as you make the attempt? Because there's no L-canceling, it's much harder for players to use aerial attacks "safely" because their opponents can just grab them while they're suffering attack lag after landing. True, some characters have lower lag than others (and those with lower lag are probably going to be the "high-tier" characters as well...), but for the most part, ALL characters are vulnerable to a "shield + grab" pattern that's going to get quite boring after a while. I'm not saying that the only safe option in Brawl is to sit back, shield, and grab (although a lot of times, it IS the safest option); I'm saying that it's too easy to play defensively and "camp" your opponent. That just makes games last really long and slows down the pace of the match. Players wouldn't have to think nearly as fast because they'd spend so much of the time just watching each other fly around though the air, recover, and then start the process over again.

I also disagree that taking out Wavedashing made it more competitive. It caused more imbalanced than anything which may be why it was removed. Then again i am a person of fair game and do notlike a handful of charactersdominating tourneys.
Wavedashing was one of the LEAST important advanced techniques from Melee; things like L-canceling, shuffling, short-hopping, teching, and DI were much more important. Wavedashing was just a spacing technique that allowed your character to "dash" around while maintaining a standing animation and thus allowed him/her to attack quickly out of it. It also had value as a mindgame tactic. However, as I said before, it was not nearly as important as other techniques...that said, removing wavedashing from Brawl didn't have that big of an effect. In my opinion, the removal of L-canceling had a much greater impact.

I like alot of variety of characters doing well then a selected few. There are alot of ppl like me who didn't like Melee's cheapness,(Marth,Fox,Falco,Shiek) I play other fighting games as well but melee is really a cheap game and developers seem to agree with me and added better recovery and nerf and buff when needed(Zelda,Sheik a good example of that)
I agree - it would ALWAYS be better for ALL the characters in a game to be doing "equally well" in tournaments, but as I said before, the fighting game that's perfectly balanced has not been created yet. I'm pretty sure that other competitive fighting games (Street Fighter, for example) are dominated by a select group of characters rather than the whole character roster. People eventually figure out who the "stronger" characters are, and then naturally those characters are used a lot more than the "weaker" characters and thus they win more tournaments.

Also keep in mind that there are plenty of Melee players who mastered "low-tier" characters and thrashed butt with them despite the odds they were playing against. You can find videos on YouTube of many different low-tier Melee characters (Ness, Bowser, Mewtwo, etc.) BEATING the high-tier characters (Fox, Sheik, Falco, Peach, Marth, etc.), so it can and does happen. Tournaments, however, do tend to be dominated by higher-tier characters, and while that's unfortunate, that's just the nature of the game. If you want a challenge and really want to put your skills to the test, you should try playing low-tier characters and seeing if you can get good enough to beat a decent high-tier player. I play low tiers on Melee and I love it - it's a nice challenge and you learn a lot.

My other prediction is that the amount of people who play brawl competitive will outnumber the people who play Melee competitively as more people get into brawl as it is easier. EVO has brawl and it looks to stay and be the norm. The forum is very active for brawl. Alot of people like the game despite what others say.
I'm sure that more people will probably play Brawl IN GENERAL than will play Melee, but as for competitive play...for some reason, I doubt that there will be as many people that seriously commit themselves to tournament-level play on Brawl as on Melee. I think that Melee already has an extremely strong, well-established tournament scene, and it will be hard for Brawl to override that because the Melee players will keep right on playing. Brawl players will probably enjoy playing online more rather than in hardcore tournaments (where Melee players are and will be).

only problem is puffer is you are assuming alot of thus as fact. What you say may not be true.
Well, I'm doing my best not to assume anything. I'm just saying what I think about Brawl as it compares to Melee; I guess you could say I'm making "educated guesses" as to what will happen in the future for both games. Once again, I stress that I'm not trying to bash Brawl into dust here...my original purpose for this thread was only to verify that the Melee tournament scene would not be "overridden" by Brawl as easily as other threads were implying. Based on what I've seen and played of both games, my guess is that Melee will always have a more hardcore, competitive tournament scene than Brawl will. Brawl may get more players PLAYING it, both for fun and for competition, but I think Melee will always have the strongest, most tightly-nit tournament community.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Lol at people arguing so much over a game. Please let's keep short responses. When I see a long reply, I don't read it. By the time I read everything in this thread, I can go read the whole Harry Potter series instead.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Suntan said:
Lol at people arguing so much over a game. Please let's keep short responses. When I see a long reply, I don't read it. By the time I read everything in this thread, I can go read the whole Harry Potter series instead.
Your post before this one made me made, but this one indicated your IQ, so I'm no longer upset over that post.

GG.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
This is the Melee board though so obviously this board have heavy bias against Brawl. I guess that how it is. We all cool puffer. We simply disagree with things unfortunately.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
##WARNING!! This post is long!## This message is intended for Suntan Luigi.

How many people posting here actually have brawl yet? For those who don't have it or never played it, they don't deserve the right to give their opinion so stfu. Brawl is new. They already have some AT called SHAD which looks like it will replace L-cancelling on platforms. Melee was faster. So what. The game is friggin 7 years old. Grow up already. Stop trying to live in the past.
Hmm... lets see...

Starcraft - released in 1998, 10 years old an still going.
Super Street fighter II Turbo - released in 1994, 14 years old and still going.
Counter-Strike - released in 1999, 9 years old and still going.
Quake III Arena - released in 1999, 9 years old and still going.
Warcraft III - released in 2002, 6 years old and still going.

And those are just videogames, have a look at these boardgames as well.

Go - "released" in 2337–2258 BC, roughly 4000 years old and STILL going!
Chess - "released", as in took its current form, in the 15th century making it roughly 400 years old and still going.
Backgammon - "released" in 3000 BC making it 5000 ****in' years old and still going!

If you dont get my point by now, you never will.

Before we had our first brawl tournament, we thought Melee would live on forever. After our Brawl tournament, no one mentioned Melee because brawl was fun and it gave everyone a chance to be good at it. When everyone else is trying to excel at a new game, you don't stick around in your diapers playing your old games.

I am a competitive player and I loved the intense combos in melee in case you guys wanted to know so don't think I'm one of those noobs who are happy that many ATs were removed.

I only read a couple of the previous posts so if something similar to this was written already, then oh well I guess.
IF you are a competivie player you should seriously start to worry about the true depth of brawl. As of now and, in my humble opinion, a considerable future, brawl does not stand up against the sheer depth and complexity of melee. There are simply to few options for far to many situations.

I believe Imbalances/cheapnes causes it to be less competitive and rather cheap.
Cheapness is a myth, it doesnt exist. Imbalances are in ALL games.

Brawl can be played at a high level.
Thats not the issue. The issue is how it will be played. Playing to win means that a player will do anything the things that maximizes his or hers chances of winning, and playing at a competitive level this is very important. If you win by standing still you bet that i will be plant myself and win.

only problem is puffer is you are assuming alot of thus as fact. What you say may not be true.
Like what?

HAHAHA. And HA. Go back to /b/.

Wow, Kohr stuff made a lot of sense, actually.
I love how you guys who are trying to argue with him are just completely missing the point.
I guess too much logic for you guys just makes your head esploded :dizzy:

Real talk: You guys are stupid.

But whatever, let idiots be idiots, thats what keeps them happy I suppose ;o
I want to unsee! This kind of trolling makes my brain hurt to the point where i want to kill something small and fluffy.

I am not understanding you, are you implying you are better than me at brawl? That's a laugh, last time I checked, I attended tournaments and placed decently well in where M2k, Cort, Darc and others well known players have attended. What do you have? Nothing. It gives me experience over your 10 year old brain. I don't need advanced tactics to beat your childish ***. In melee I don't even need to use the b l x y c stick r or l buttons to beat you. And that's something I will money match on.
Of all things you have posted in this thread, this must the first that is actually correct. Considering that you are talking to Kohr.

]I'm sorry I live in college and I see like 500 people a day and attend classes every day, get trashed every weekend and play video games so I don't have a life and can't say anything about a video game that requires you not to have a life in order to define the whole community that doesn't have a life who interact with each other on a weekly basis outside of school and it defines why all like 80k+ of the community doesnt have a life.
I. Dont. Care.
No really, i dont. I wouldnt give a flying shit even if you would own the sun, drive a Bugatti Veiron and own your very own doomsday machine. All i care about, in this matter, is your experience with the games. Which, quite frankly, seems very shallow.

This. The truth is brawl will overtake melee. More people will have brawl tourneys then melee and Melee will not fade out but be of lesser importance. Melee feels old to most so people will be more interesting in seeing a competitive brawl match than melee match.

Also EVO replaced Melee with brawl this year. Brawl will take over,there is just too much hype for the game that melee can not surpass it even if you think it is better. Basically if you have a tourney and pick brawl and melee, more people will probably show up to Brawl. There are more people into brawl than melee.
Of course it will. But not because the game is the better of the two, no, but because its new and shiny and scrubs love it. And as we all know, more players equals more money.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Suntan Luigi said:
The game is friggin 7 years old. Grow up already. Stop trying to live in the past.
Tell that to the people who are still playin SF2 and MvC2 in tournaments that was a really stupid comment on your part. And another thing the people who've played Melee all these years have a better understanding of both games than you nubs do. Bein an all defensive game is not a good thing there should be a balance between defensive and offensive options which Brawl lacks in terms of offensive options all around. Brawl right now is promoting camping and there's no way around it for one because the physics of this game has told us that the game will not change no matter the amount of at's we find in this game(If there are any). And people want to win so they will continue to do whatever it takes to win in this game until people find a way around the camping. Camping also makes for a slow and boring *** game to watch. So yeah I'm with that one guy who said that Evo will take Brawl out of the lineup in about a year. And just like Melee, I'm not starting to see the same amount of characters appear in Brawl tournies, Rob, Snake, Pit, Meta Knight, Marth so it's not really different from Melee aside from the fact that at least in Melee characters could approach campers safely.

D

Deleted member

accidentally triple posted! my bro was screwing with computer!

D

Deleted member

I agree melee's better than brawl, but like a group of preschoolers, gamers will play with the shiny new toy.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
define we

while you're at it, define how you think people will care how you twist reassuring statements into potshots at brawl, when no one is forcing you to play it.
actually you are quite right. i dont know what i was thinking when i typed that with only the vaguest reasoning. definitely my opinion however.

##WARNING!! This post is long!## This message is intended for Suntan Luigi.

Hmm... lets see...

Starcraft - released in 1998, 10 years old an still going.
Super Street fighter II Turbo - released in 1994, 14 years old and still going.
Counter-Strike - released in 1999, 9 years old and still going.
Quake III Arena - released in 1999, 9 years old and still going.
Warcraft III - released in 2002, 6 years old and still going.

And those are just videogames, have a look at these boardgames as well.

Go - "released" in 2337–2258 BC, roughly 4000 years old and STILL going!
Chess - "released", as in took its current form, in the 15th century making it roughly 400 years old and still going.
Backgammon - "released" in 3000 BC making it 5000 ****in' years old and still going!

If you dont get my point by now, you never will.
LOL this response is on point. i still play CS, SC, and Go as well.

nabbig2

Smash Rookie
Brawl is new, and that's all there is to it. However, I will continue on melee. Melee will not die out.

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
Uh...guys? Take a look at everyone's previous responses...it looks like one of the mods replaced the word "Brawl" with "Melee" and vice versa. Perhaps I'm going crazy, so can someone confirm this for me?

Radz

Smash Rookie
Uh...guys? Take a look at everyone's previous responses...it looks like one of the mods replaced the word "Brawl" with "Melee" and vice versa. Perhaps I'm going crazy, so can someone confirm this for me?
I have the exact same thing, i was starting to think everyone posting was an idiot.

Aprils fools it seems, lol

Jaxx

Smash Cadet
"(Apple,Yaoi,roy,pichu). Brawl has a balance problem andmost just choose the top/high tire so you see a bunch of Yaoi player."

Lmao, classic.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I really am wondering what the hell,, I love smash boards April fools jokes!

No, melee wont die out as the crowning competetive game, why? because its just better, brawl tournaments may be held on the side, or more like there will be big tournaments for both games at one event. not just either one as a side tournament.

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
Heh heh...I think they jumped the gun on the April Fool's joke, at least for me - when I noticed the word replacements, it was March 31st. Perhaps the site admin dudes are in different [t ime] zones or something.

I gotta admit, at first I thought that the mods were upset that we were trash-talking [B rawl] so much, and so they switched the word "B rawl" with "M elee" to pay us back. I guess not...it was a good joke, though.

Top Bottom