• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a theory: we should always do running shield grab instead of running grab

Charoo

Smash Champion
I was discussing about other stuff but this just kinda came into my head.

Running shield grab SHOULD be fast than running grab

base on ankoku's frame date, if it's correct 100% (no offense but this is the only way for this theory to be correct).

Sheik's running shield grab takes 1 frame less than running grab and have 9 frame less lag at the end too.

my reasoning is:

running shield grab
1.Shield
ACTION: 2
2.Standing Grab
ACTION: 6
END: 30

TOTAL ACTION: 6

running grab
Running Grab
ACTION: 9
END: 46 <39>

so base on that, running shield grab is faster in every situation. Now, I don't fully know if adding up frame like this is correct (might be some outside force or something). This also rely on you shielding before getting to the grab range or else it will take longer since you barely activated ur shield.

Running grab is easier to get that 9 frame grab because you push grab and eventually sheik will slide to grab them. So with the running shield grab, you need to run then shield (which causes u to slide) then grab.

Just something interesting I guess. Can any1 give me the actual information of this? Thanks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You're correct, it's essentially the "replacement" to Melee's JC grab. However running grab this time has significantly more range due to Sheik's sliding forward.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
More like mid distances running grab... at short distances just do a walking grab, it's 6 frames lol.
At long distances run up and shieldgrab if you absolutely must do a grab from that far away, because at least then if you whiff the grab you can get your shield back up 10 frames sooner.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I always do running shield grabs out of habbit because I'm used to using Ice Climbers, and you can't exactly get off a grab against someone good with a dash grab.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Its pretty good. Since i was practicing perfect sheilding and dashing sheild grab at the same time, I got into the habit. Its obvioulsy a lot safer.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I love doing a dthrow, waiting for their airdodge and then pivot grabbing them.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Hey Gimpy, why in that set against Fox did you not F Tilt lock to U Smash at all? There was one time where it was guarenteed and after about four, you jab to grabbed him.

Top Bottom