• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a 1000$ spending limit for a laptop for college.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Is dell efficient? Or is there way better ****? For 1000$, I'm getting

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 edit
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 M
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
WIRELESS CARD - Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card

I'm bringing my own speakers and monitor.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
well, that's pretty good for visual power. But let me warn you now lol. Your 8800 nvidia card won't run full settings with a processor of low quality. I'm running alienware at 4.0 GB with a 7800 GTX card, and it's just enough to max out my card.

So you should probably balance out your processing speed a little bit.

Also, it depends on what you want to do with this PC. Do you plan on using it for school work only with some ROMs and stuff? Or do you plan on using it for major games such as Battlefield and etc?

If it's school work, cut the graphics card size down and get more processing speed to balance it out. You want the speed increaed so you can (duh) process data quicker (plus, slow PCs suck ***). You don't need extreme graphics for a basic comp. IMO, go down to a 7800GTX if you can; it's cheaper, and still VERY good (my PC runs any game out there, including Crysis, though not at max settings of course). Also, sound isn't important, so you don't need a very good sound card (but don't get a crappy one, you'll regret it).

If it's going to be your monster PC, you NEED to amp the processor, and keep that graphics card. I'd fork over some extra money BIG TIME to ensure you get the best quality. Again though, don't focus on sound TOO much since it IS a laptop, and laptop speakers will only go so far. True you are using external speakers, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

nevershootme

Smash Master
fearless,

here's a website i reccomend for your laptop needs, www.powernotebooks.com if you can find a reasonable price for your productive needs and some gaming. Plus, screw vista, i can get you windows xp from my school for free (and legal copy).

plus, when you order from a known company, they're gonna throw you a ton of trash programs u don't need, which will clutter and slow down your computer by alot, especially if it's vista.

if all else fails, get a netbook -_-; even worse, a Mac, but you don't have enough funds :(

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
dell's are pretty **** when it comes to compueters and laptops.

but a computer is a computer for the most part, and 90 percent of problems you incur are your own fault. so just listen to gerbil
find the cheapest **** you can find that has the specs you need
and then just take care of your computer

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
So I'm not a big fan of Vista, and it does get pretty aggravating sometimes, but I think it's reputation of being a ****ty OS is a bit overblown. I'm thinking of getting a new laptop soon (I'm using my sister's old one . . . which we bought in '01. . . .), but I'm waiting for Windows 7.

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
Laptop: LOOK AT THE SCREEN! I don't care what kind of hardware you're getting you WILL use that screen and if you get an HP with a F#@ing awful TN-panel screen like mine you're going to regret every second of it. Everything else don't worry about it, go for batter life and a fast ENOUGH processor to do what you need, unless you get one of those obscene multi-$K laptops that's got fullsized desktop processors and graphics cards in it you won't ever really be playing games on it.

As for macs... it's the exact same hardware as a PC. Same processor, same ram, lower quality motherboard probably from foxconn and probably still using leaky electrolytic caps instead of solid state. The only diff is a mac runs linux with a fancy graphics set.

If you really want to be set for college get a cheap laptop for notes and working outside and a decent desktop for games and working inside.

Top Bottom